Thread: A trouble with Roman formations

Default A trouble with Roman formations

Hi,

I doubt this is an efficient way for Romans to win:

I'm not an expert, but I believe typical roman tactics was just to have a straigh line and concentrate on breaking the center of enemy line. But usuually they are just disorganised and attack flankt instead of center. They especially like to attack carthagian elephants. I had to turn off fatigue, because it was too easy to crush them, when they reach my line tired.

I think that formation changes should concentrace on making the enemy able to form a line. I even don't play bridge battles anyomore, because AI is unable to cross the bridge. Or have serious problems with it. Even good old MTW was better, because AI just usually march and attack. And defending AI chooses the highest point (or moves, when players tries to get to a higher point).

One more thing: This happend when I installed Beta Vassal 4:

The image shows the second turn.

On the other hand:

Thanks for not adding more cities on the map, I'd hate it to become a siege hell

And version 7 seems to be much faster (with huge units), no such slowdowns as in version 6.

Good work

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

lol the roman general seems to lead his first battle there, lol
    either that or he has a drinking problem

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Well i personally love the manipular formation Darth gave the romans, it makes them very hard to flank.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

i dont know if they are still moving and not in final position ok...otherwise you can overrun the closes ones befor the furthes away enemy even is in fighting range. also the few first units of the romans will be intimidated by the numbers of the chartagians who are gatherd on one pile, no? havent fought the romans in field battles often so far though

Well I am certain that generally Romans behave much more historically and more importantly effectively with these formations. Cannot control all battles though. If AI general has a much weaker army and is forced to play it may do a strange maneuver move.

As for the vassal_beta...it is smthg that should happens as it is a trick to create the vassal. Never mind that...there is no real roman civil war but the game thinks there is. The messages are not important. The vassal_beta mode should be improved with next patch.