Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (8th Entry - PSF Script)

Default Re: Map Blog 3 - PSFs (8th Entry - PSF Script)

...Man, can the game even handle that?

Will steal this idea if I decide to get anywhere on my personal mod.
    Last edited by Savoyard; May 18, 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    Naming then is done through invisible agents (from what I can tell), a solution known for quite some time.
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think DotS is using this method. It has the drawback to require huge amounts of space on the map: the agent has to stand somewhere, and cant be allowed to be "knocked of" from his place by another character. Look at the PSFs in 1634: 30 Jahre Krieg. There is always a large field of inaccessible terrain just below the PSF.

Now look at the screenshot of Britain Resurrection provided:

For many of the PSFs there is no space where a invisible agent could stand.

Maybe I'm wrong and the agent method is actually used (in a way). Either way, Resurrection has found a more elegant solution then the 1634 mod.

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

Perhaps he placed the agenst on the fort; pretty sure that's possible.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by JorisofHolland View Post
    Perhaps he placed the agenst on the fort; pretty sure that's possible.
    standing on the fort is possible, though it does have the draw back of them being "knocked out" when units move in and out or the fort is taken, but there are some possible scripts and methods to solve that, for one thing you give them all a trait that makes them unable to move, what happen here is that when they don't move they'll usually die if they're knocked out, but then you write a script to regenerate them in the next turn. you'll end up having a turn where the name isn't there but that's reasonablly acceptable I think.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    standing on the fort is possible, though it does have the draw back of them being "knocked out" when units move in and out or the fort is taken, but there are some possible scripts and methods to solve that, for one thing you give them all a trait that makes them unable to move, what happen here is that when they don't move they'll usually die if they're knocked out, but then you write a script to regenerate them in the next turn. you'll end up having a turn where the name isn't there but that's reasonablly acceptable I think.
    Not my place to try and talk knowledgeably about Resurrection's script, but i'm pretty sure this is it exactly.
    Veni Vidi Velcro

It is in the nutshell but there were still some nasty surprises I had to handle a bit differently. But about that after we release. Not that I wouldn't want to share but it's a bit more complicated and I don't have time to write any tutorials for it... Plus the way I am actually doing it is different from the technical point of view as well and I would have to reverse engineer the manual way of doing it (I am automating lots of the stuff). I plan on releasing the system for automated modding once we're done as well of which this is part.

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

stratigos vasilios's Avatar Foederatus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabenrecht View Post

Every time I see that SS I salivate at the prospect of this mod. It is truly a phenomenal glimpse into what potentially could be the best m2tw mod!

*returns to lurking shadows*

I completely agree. Breathtaking campaign map.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

"Currently these are all shown as default castles, but as you will see in the coming weeks- they are all fully researched and will vary between huge cities, massive fortresses to minor towns and simple villages."

Can I get a link to a guide for making PSFs either cities or castles of various levels on the battle map?

"Increment" and "decrement" are nouns, not verbs.

Is this method related to the quest markers from TATW's Fellowship Campaign? Because my characters didn't affect those agents when I played it. They stayed in place, and didn't die when my characters ran over them.

I was thinking of utilizing such a system myself.
    Last edited by Slaytaninc; May 21, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    "Currently these are all shown as default castles, but as you will see in the coming weeks- they are all fully researched and will vary between huge cities, massive fortresses to minor towns and simple villages."

Can I get a link to a guide for making PSFs either cities or castles of various levels on the battle map?

"Increment" and "decrement" are nouns, not verbs.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=360928

It's out of this post's discussion though, if you want more detail you can PM me and I can give you a brief run of what I know on this subject.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Thanks.

Heh, I tried saving the link and I found out I already had it. That's what I get for not checking my link list first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabenrecht View Post
    Now look at the screenshot of Britain Resurrection provided:

Snottingham

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Shogun View Post
    Snottingham
    Is the medieval name of Nottingham...

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Having just counted, thus far some 98 of over 2000 PSFs have been checked- still quite a mountain to go, all in all! If you guys want beta tests by the end of June, I'd REALLY urge you to do what I've done- PM Resurrection and get involved in the process of checking!

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    Is the medieval name of Nottingham...
    It is actually true. I was surprised and I'm from Derby (the city next-door)

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgios View Post
    Having just counted, thus far some 98 of over 2000 PSFs have been checked- still quite a mountain to go, all in all! If you guys want beta tests by the end of June, I'd REALLY urge you to do what I've done- PM Resurrection and get involved in the process of checking!
    I'd love to help, but most of us lack proper sourcing on medieval geography.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

You don't need it really. Just free time and willpower

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    You don't need it really. Just free time and willpower
    so you are still looking for people without modding skill/medieval knowledge?

btw, why no PSFs and map preview for eastern side of the map? I'd like to see anatolia, holy land, georgia and others...