Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Consulate of Corvenus - 483AVC

Can't they see the solution is very obvious..

I believe our noble Praetor must handle this. I believe that he should investigate this thoroughly and find the reasons for this sudden loss of money.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

The fact of the matter is, with the state bankrupt our only priority is the resolution of the financial situation, discussion of anything else is hypothetical.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Decimus stood to speak again:

Then I agree with plan put forward by Senator Scaeva and Flavius. There is no need to spend money we don't have. Trade agreements with other nations can help us in getting out of debt but that will take time. Is there any faster way we can replace the money?"
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

No there is not. The theft of money is nothing in the long run regardless. As I told you, focus your minds on other things. In the meantime I will ask the Aedile and the Quaestors what we can build in the coming months and give this information, in turn, to the current head, Scaeva.

We make enough money on taxes alone to account for this theft, if you all read the report in detail, then there is no cause for the current alarm in this house regarding the economy. For the theft, maybe, for the recovery, inconsequential.

I will call for the consul to put forward a vote on the Lex Valeria, concerning our military. Apart from that I must bid this body good day as I make my rounds to find the culprit behind this plot and I hope to find another consul in these halls when I return. Lucius then left the Curia with questions on his mind. Was it Sophus? Is he in on the plot?
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus stands,
    Well then, as it seems the Praetor has this matter well under control we should remind ourselves of the proposed military reforms put forward by Poplicola last term, for now shall we deal with only the first section of his reforms

Lex Valeria De Re Militari - 482AUC

Roman Consular Armies

Legio I - Citizens, commanded by the Senior Consul
    1 General
    1 Equites
    2 Hastati
    2 Principes
    1 Triarii
    1 Rorarii
    1 Leves
    1 Accensi

Legio II - Socii, commanded by the Junior Consul
    1 General
    1 Campanian Cavalry
    2 Bruttian Infantry
    2 Ligurian Infantry
    2 Samnite Infantry
    2 Lucanian Infantry
    Looking at Corvenus, If you would so kindly do so Consul as to begin the voting proceedings

Retakes his seat...

Flavius gave a parchment of the bill to a messenger, and ordered him to go and announce it for voting.

Now, should we send an embassy to the East to negotiate for trade? We have heard of the wealthy Egyptian empires, how would trade with them hurt us?

Content Emeritus

Decimius felt as if he had made a fool pf himself for not reading the financial reporr more carefully. He would have to redeem himself if only in his own eyes.

"I see no reason in not trading with Egypt or any other nation not hostile to us. A diplomat should be sent to them immediately to make the necessary arrangements."

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

If we were to send this emissary to the lands of Ptolemy, perhaps he should start his official journey after visiting the straits of messana, to check if the Syracusian messanger was telling the truth?

I would offer up my services to undertake this journey of course, and send back regular reports to the Senate as I proceed.

ooc: this is my absence from YATS roleplaying, i will rp the visit to messana after i get back , then head to egypt thats if the senate agrees

Content Emeritus

Good suggestion, Marcus. I see no reason why not to let you go. This way we kill two birds with one stone.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Despite my objections of trading with such...foreign...humans if they can be called that. I do not object because the trade will help fill our coffers." Faustus was disgusted by the idea, he was not a fan of foreign peoples as he saw them all as barbarians but he was intelligent enough to know that sometimes you need to work with them to ensure your survival.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Flavius looked at Faustus, then quickly turned it away and said:

Marcus, i believe we all support your offer, he said smilingly,

But the way is long. Maybe the Syracuseans can afford a ship with full supply and crew for Marcus, for our promise of freeing their waters of pirates.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

We should try to trade with all that are willing, not just specifically the Ptolemy's land. Once Marcus is in the east he should travel to learn more about those distant cultures and possibly get some foreign maps Flavius said, while he was eating a delicous pork-belly that was getting stuck in his mustache.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Consul, unless I am afflicted with serious memory issues...I do not remember promising Syracuse anything." Faustus was confused, he could not re-call such promises.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

When did we promise to risk roman ships, which we do not possess as of this moment, and roman lives to help a greek city who we are not even allied to consul?
    *Spurius was in disbelief that the consul had made such a massive mistake, or even worse, perhaps he thought he thought he could dictate Rome's diplomacy? Maybe he had misjudged Flavius completely, it wasn't impossible. After all Flavius had already became pals with that dirty pleb Sophus dispite knowing that was against Spurius' wishes. Spurius had found that particular piece of news unexpected to say the least.*
    Last edited by Nota'; July 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM.

Marcus Sempronius Sophus hastily comes walking in the Senate, his face red with anger. During his walk through Rome he had prepared his speech as he entered he saw many new faces, even what looked like to be a Gaul to him. Scaeva had just finished talking when he walked to the center of the Curia and started shouting.

'A man leaves Rome to gather the remains of his youngest son and when he returns he is in need to defend himself against angry senators?'

He pauses and looks around in the Senate, the pause only for dramatic effect.

'I have been away for five days, gentlemen. Five days. And when I enter the mansion with the body of my son in my arms one of my slaves tell me that I have been accused of fraud. I, Marcus Sempronius Sophus, has been accused of fraud! I could buy Rome if I wanted to and now some jealous boy thinks I would steal gold of the Republic?' He looked at Scaeva and took a few steps to his seat. 'Let me tell you, son, I worked days and nights for the Republic, trying to fix that mess it is. Dealing with every financial request from everyone, as soon as they get a magistrate's office they only think of one thing, spending money!' He walks back to the center. 'Senators, I have done my duty the last year. I have given everything for the Republic, even my own son. Everything! And now a man not fit for his job tries to cover up his own mess by pointing at me without evidence! Perhaps we should not look at me but perhaps we should actually bother to look at the financial situation. I am certain that the massive troop recruitment without my authorization has caused a huge hole in finances and because I am no longer quaestor I have no idea of what is going on right now. How hard can it be to stop spending, disarm a few soldiers and get our finances on order! Maybe the true man of incompetence here is not me but him.' He points at Scaeva.

He waits a few seconds and then sits down. What a mess.. He hadn't caused this debt.. Ofcourse he had made a few personal expenditures on the state's bill. But those few coins could never have caused this. And that was a year ago. There was no proof, there was no way to prosecute him for anything.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

If the position is still open I will stand as a Suffectus Consul if the Senate shall allow me too, the voice was that of Spurius Horatius Lurco who after his return to the Senate and his triumphant delivery of news had suffered from a wasting sickness for several months. Now however, he was back; his stomach no smaller, larger if that were even possible. I understand Senators that you may not see me as the man for the job but over my years I have gained considerable combat experience, I understand my candidacy may seem odd, but we are in odd times. I assure you that I will bring Roma peace on the battlefield if needed just as I brought it to her across the diplomacy table.

Now that my piece is said it appears we are missing some money and the ex-Quaestor is suspected of foul play? If I might perhaps present my explanation; following the Quaestors report from last year I believe that we were set to make a loss regardless, to this end the Quaestor recommended the construction of mines in order to assist in reviving the economy in a few years. These mines were only instigated later in the year and as such I do not recall sufficient notification being given to this noble body. Not the fault of the Quaestor evidently when a region chooses to begin its construction. If I might request that the Quaestor investigate into the progress of Rhegions mines if I am in the right as far as this is concerned.

If I am incorrect then indeed a full investigation should proceed as requested but I feel my suspicions might be proved correct.

Lurco bowed to the assembled Senators and then took his seat.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Flavius felt stunned, like cold water would be splashing to your face when you were asleep. He couldn't think for a while, but then his brains started working again.

This could be an opportunity, a chance..

I support Lurco's proposal heartily, He said smiling.

Lurco nodded, My thanks Corvenus if I might take a minute to consult the archives, he called a scribe over and began to vigorously read through the rolls.

Aha! He yelled his voice fraught with success, Here we are!

The Financial Bill of Sophus Revised Version (482AVC)

• At Ariminum the tax rate shall be high.

• At Rome the tax rate shall be high.

• At Capua a new forum will be constructed.

• At Arpi the tax rate shall be high.

• At Tarentum we shall pacify the area and construct a administration in future.

• The Republic shall save money so that mines can be constructed at Rhegion.
    Clearly the mines are listed and the reasoning for our dire funds, the Senates own decision, becomes clear! Sophus is clearly innocent of any sort of discrepancy. He gestured to him, Let us hope that this has not damaged your reputation as an upright and stalwart Roman. Laughing he stated, It's as almost if someone wished any opportunity to incriminate you, I cannot think who but I would be wary of them dear Sempronius, he wagged a finger, let us continue the work of state Senators this matter is done with.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Marcus rose, at least he had some support here.

'Thank you senator Lurco, there is however something else to this. If we think that only the mines have taken up such a large quantity of money we are certainly wrong. We still had a substantial amount left after that and even more incoming from trade and other sources.'

He walks back to his seat, let the others speculate. Pointing fingers would weaken his own position.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius stopped eating his pork belly and spoke: Dear Senators, we should not be pointing fingers before more evidence is provided, especially with a possible Carthaginian threat on the horizon.
    Flavius then went back to his food: Nom nom nom