Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

Default Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

CURIA HOSTILIA, ROMA, ITALIA.
    CDLXXXIII AB VRBE CONDITA

Ave, leading men of Rome! The Curia is open for it's first official session of the Year!

Consuls

Senior Consul
    Term: 483AUC - 484AUC.
    Flavius Julius Corvenus (Maiar93)

Suffectus Consul
    Spurius Horatius Lurco (Crozimodo)

Praetor
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola (Dragoon47)

Tribune
    Faustus Naevius Imperious (CK23)

Quaestor
    Spurius Geminius Scaeva ([100]jplay.TGC)

I declare this session of our sacred Senate... OPEN!
    Last edited by dragoon47; September 05, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Consulate of Corvenus - 483AVC

Flavius walked in the Curia, and he noticed he was one of the first to enter. Flavius just wanted to listen before saying anything, as his last term was quite .. suspicious to say the least.

Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Imperious walked triumphantly into the Curia, he was proud of his accomplishment, he was elected Tribune of the Plebeians his third term in the Senate, and he would now stand to protect the rights of the Plebeians.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

*Spurius walks in, views yet more plebs and takes his usual place. He mentally goes over his report but waits for more senators to arrive before presenting it.*

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Decimius walked into the Curia and looked around. It was the first time he had stepped foot int the place and he gazed around the beautiful hall for a moment before taking his seat, waiting for others to arrive.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Marcus walked in the halls of the Curia, the third year. He wouldn't be here long, his stuff was packed and his slaves where waiting. Still, he didn't want to miss the financial reports and ofcourse the ending to the story of having only one consul. As he walked past Imperious he nodded and smiled at him. He was glad to see him grabbing the position of Tribune. He also saw Scaeva, summing up things to himself while giving the occasional look of disgust to the new plebeian senators. As he seated he sighed, the loss of his son had made him a more bitter man. He hoped some other senators would arrive shortly.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus enters and immediatly makes his way over to Imperious, he smiles and grasps the mans hand in the soldiers handshake,

Well done on your victory Tribune! It was a close contest was it not! Congratulations again and the best of luck to your endevours this term, then under his breath, I was hoping for those military reforms proposed by Poplicola to go through this term, I hope you see the need as much as I do... he smiles again and walks away

He then proceeds to sit with his friends, waiting for the Consul to address them

Caldius arrives his walk angry and focused.

I wonder if there has ever been two replacement Consuls?

Before the Senator walked away Faustus smiled and nodded. "I agree entirely Senator." Faustus was pleased to know that the election did not cause a rift between the Plebeians, it was the last thing he wanted to do, he wanted to unite them under a common banner to stop the anti-plebeian Patricians who had shown their more radical side.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius strides into the senate building for the first time, and admires it's glory. He then sits in the back and talks to other fellow senators sitting near him.

Good day, sir he says to a passing senator.

*Spurius stands, and clears his throat to address the entire senate. His face takes a sullen look, foreboding the bad news he had to bring.*
    Esteemed senators. I regret to inform you that I am the bearer of news most saddening. The Senate and People of Rome are in debt, a debt of one thousand Mnai precisely. We owe money to many well known lenders, the names of which I have no doubt you noble men have already guessed.

*Spurius motions and men hand out scrolls displaying the exact numbers of the financial situation.*
    These scrolls will reveal to you the details of the state of the treasury, where projected profits mean how much money we will have lost assuming we spend no more this quarter.
    Even with the wealth of information provided to me by the quaestor's office I can only explain where less than half of Roma's gold has gone. Last years consul, the esteemed Praetor Valerius Poplicola, saw fit to dip into this term's funds last year to pay for maintenance of certain projects and buildings in Italia. The exact cost of these, and exactly where the money has been sent is unclear due to clerical inaccuracies and inconsistencies due to the incompetence of last years Quaestor, Marcus Sempronius Sophus, although I am sure that Poplicola will willingly give us of these facts. This leaves the rest of the missing money unaccounted for dear senators.

Why you may ask, have we not heard of this before? Why was the decision to borrow money not voted on in the senate? Again my dear senators, I must profess my ignorance. I see the same faces here that I wore when I first saw the numbers myself. As the missing gold cannot be located I am forced to assume that it has been... stolen.
    *Spurius pauses before saying stolen a little too long, almost as if he wished to add dramatic effect.*

While the office is Quaestor is not one whose role is to make accusations, I feel that it is obvious that the fault is with Marcus Sempronius Sophus. Only he could have missed something this major, due to a combination of incompetence and idleness on his part no doubt. He also is positioned perfectly to steal the money. Who else, I ask you senators, has the ability to make such transactions completely secretly? Who else could cause anyone who noticed the anything amiss stay silent, after all the noble men of Roma know that the Quaestor carries out the will of the senate! Who else has developed such a reputation for chrematophilia, a love of money, lending it out at extortionate rates?!

I trust the Praetor will perform his duties to the fullest.
    *Spurius sits down, awaiting an uproar that will break the silence that had set upon the room.*
    Last edited by Nota'; July 17, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

We must not fall to unfounded accusations of theft with no factual backing, if you are so confident that Senator Sophus is guilty of stealing a huge amount of money why can you not provide any proof?

*Spurius shoots back:*
    I cannot provide proof, I believe it was him for reasons I have already stated Aulus. From now on the case is in the hands of the Praetor and I shall only assist him where required.

*Spurius stands back up again to impart one last piece of the report on the senate, something that he had forgotten due to the importance of the debt*
    In light of the current situation I believe the senate's policy should be to not start any new projects, building or otherwise, and to minimise maintence costs until we are free of debt. This is to prevent enlarging the current debt which would lead to loosing more money in the long run due to interest.
    Last edited by Nota'; July 17, 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Marcus rises, Dear Senator Scaeva, surely you must have taken into account in your report the previous, and still, Consul Corvenus' levying of men for his escapade north?

There is rumour on the Aventine that Corvenus' men actually had to pay some citizens to join his expidition against the Boii, it was that unpopular amoungst our people... Maybe, he laughs, this is just plebs like me talking too much, but then again... he trails off, leaving the thought hanging in the air.

He then turns and addresses the whole Senate
    , but before possible allegations regarding financial difficulties are brought before the Praetor, maybe we should first deal with some of the motions outlined last term for this one....

Lucius stood in the back of the room as he usually does, expecting the usual slander between senators but as Scaeva's speech and report had ended Lucius was between a state of shock and annoyance. He was still unsure of just who Scaeva was attacking more, Lucius' credibility or Sophus for his alleged theft. What is his aim.

I can assure this body that I will look into this matter with exceptional vigor. The culprit will be found and prosecuted to the fullest extent our laws allow after a full investigation of anyone suspected to be involved. Until this matter has reached its climax it should not interfere with our day to day workings in these halls. Senators Scaeva and Sophus, both of you can expect a visit from me in the coming days and I expect you both to prepare your statements for my arrival. I shall also visit your office and that of your subordinates Scaeva to find anything that may be of use to this investigation, I've been meaning to visit the offices anyway.

Now that the matter is settled, the final call for a suffectus this term is upon us. If none state their candidacy then Flavius Julius Constantinus will be Junior Consul by default and we will get to discussing both my bill and the troubling news from Sicily. Continue senators.

What indeed.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

*Replying to Senator Marcus of the Atrii:*
    I did not need to factor in those costs. One of the only things Marcus noted last term was those expenses, and as such they were withdrawn from the treasury before my time as Quaestor.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Decimus listened carefully to what was being said by the veteran Senators. The large debt and the unaccounted for money was a very big problem. Decimus finally gathered enough courage to speak.

"The unaccounted for money is a very serious problem as well as the allegations brought forward by Senator Scaeva. It highly unlikely that Corvenas spent so much on hiring men that Scaeva would feel that the treasury had been 'robbed'. Whatever the case may be this deserves our attention as it will most likely affect financial matters for this term."

As Decimus sat down, he hoped that he had spoken well or he would soon be torn to pieces on his first day.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Flavius stood up. He said to himself: 'These children, why don't they just focus on what's present and not what is past..'

Senators, i believe we are on the wrong path now. There is not one or two guilty men for this, this whole body has failed on the last term if we really are in debt. But that is not our problem. We must look forward on solving this problem, and I support Scaeva's motion with a suggestion that we'd travel further east and seek for more nations tonegotiate trade with.

Gazing the whole Curia, he continued:

Our secondary matter after we have sorted our finances are to decide the fate of those pirates roaming the sea. I am for this. Who knows, if the pirates had a part on our current situation? Senators, we must bring pax romana to the Mediterranean.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Faustus rose and stared blankly at Senator Scaeva. "Senator do you truly believe that someone would do that to Rome and it's people?" Faustus disliked Scaeva he had always taken a hardline stance against the Plebeians...likely because the Plebeians were more numerous and had far more power then he did.

I am forced to that conclusion Faustus, for the money has disappeared. Not even Sophus' record keeping is so bad that he just lost 17000 mnai. If you have any ideas as to where the money might be or would like to check my workings, please do come down to the Quaestor's office.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast