Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post
    That literally has absolutely no relevance to what I just said. I can't even imagine how it would be relevant without assuming that they simply do away with that storyline altogether, or else unnecessarily delay it.
    It has every relevance to what you said. You said How is this even a question to book-readers? The answer is that book readers know that Theon disappears for 2 books. If the show reflects that, its not "doing away with the storyline altogether" or "unnecessarily delaying it". It's following the storyline and building the narrative tension of "what has happened to Theon?"

Now, if the TV show wants to bring forward Theon/Reek by 2 or 3 seasons, that's their perogative.
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

ButtSwag's Avatar Decanus

Spoiler:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Going back to one of your previous comments Mount, when did Davos try to kill Mel? I think I have completely forgotten about that
    Last edited by Inarus; March 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    they look lean and fit, not that spartacus bodybuilder ********. theres different kinds of training, ya know, not all makes you look like a ham.

btw, anyone knows the siginificane of beewbs at 1:17? seems like two ladies, who are them?

edit: apparently, the beewbs is Charlotte Hope, playing an undefinded Myranda. she plays a prositute in a 2013 production, so perhaps really just beewbs?

editedit: is the other woman cersei, and she the "myrish swamp"?

lotsa screens here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5877168&type=1
    On a closer look, the other woman is definitely cersei. So yea, she is probably the myrish swamp.

As to Theon, of course it is him, how else can they explain what happened to him? They don't do flashbacks.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by ButtSwag View Post
    Going back to one of your previous comments Mount, when did Davos try to kill Mel? I think I have completely forgotten about that
    At the beginning of ASOS, before he is rescued by Salador Saan he hears a voice talking to him on the wind telling him to kill Mel. He believes this to be the Seven talking to him and resolves to do it - incidentally, I believe this is the only evidence of any kind of supernatural power or even existence, of the Seven in the entire series. Or it could just be the fevered ramblings of a dying man.

When he returns to Dragonstone, Mel has seen what he plans in her fires and has him thrown in the dungeon, along with Stannis's prior hand Alester Florent. Mel comes and visits Davos in his cell, and the exchanges between them are some of the most fascinating in all the books IMO. Lots of detail in there about Mel and her relationship with Stannis.
    Last edited by Inarus; March 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
    It has every relevance to what you said. You said How is this even a question to book-readers? The answer is that book readers know that Theon disappears for 2 books. If the show reflects that, its not "doing away with the storyline altogether" or "unnecessarily delaying it". It's following the storyline and building the narrative tension of "what has happened to Theon?"

Now, if the TV show wants to bring forward Theon/Reek by 2 or 3 seasons, that's their perogative.

They cast Alfie Allen to return again in season 3 as a main character. Every single trailer thus far has shown a man in a hood subject to torture. Book-readers know. Even TV viewers know Theon was knocked out and undoubtedly turned over to Ramsay Bolton when Dagmer and company surrendered. These facts indeed render the initial question COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

They cast Alfie Allen to return again in season 3 as a main character. Every single trailer thus far has shown a man in a hood subject to torture. Book-readers know. Even TV viewers know Theon was knocked out and undoubtedly turned over to Ramsay Bolton when Dagmer and company surrendered. These facts indeed render the initial question COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.
    that was sooo sloppy done in season two, Rodrick randomly arrested and executed, Northmen surround Winterfell so you think the rescue party is close and then suddenly everything is burned down and the Northmen left + the Ironborn vanish. I didn't read about the sack of Winterfell in the books yet so I was like "what the hell just happened"!

I thought it was intentionally vague... made you uncertain if it was the Ironborn or the Boltons who sacked it. And it already plants the seed of doubt as you wonder why would Northmen sack Winterfell? Does Robb know? Did Roose order it secretly? Why would he? Did Jaime Lannister ask him to send his regards?

And Rodrick wasn't "randomly arrested and executed" --- they ambushed his return-force on its way to Torrhen's Square and took him captive, and Theon executed him because he insulted Theon to his face.

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

I thought it was intentionally vague... made you uncertain if it was the Ironborn or the Boltons who sacked it. And it already plants the seed of doubt as you wonder why would Northmen sack Winterfell? Does Robb know? Did Roose order it secretly? Why would he? Did Jaime Lannister ask him to send his regards?

And Rodrick wasn't "randomly arrested and executed" --- they ambushed his return-force on its way to Torrhen's Square and took him captive, and Theon executed him because he insulted Theon to his face.
    They didn't even show us the Norhtmen that besieged it, how could we possible even suspect that they burned Winterfell down, every TV watcher will say that the Ironborn burned it down and when you ask them about the Northmen that surrounded Winterfell they hardly know what you're talking about.

And the excuse that Rodrick was ambushed is also feeble, they should have sticked with the book version (sadly they didn't for budget reasons)

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
    They didn't even show us the Norhtmen that besieged it, how could we possible even suspect that they burned Winterfell down, every TV watcher will say that the Ironborn burned it down and when you ask them about the Northmen that surrounded Winterfell they hardly know what you're talking about.

And the excuse that Rodrick was ambushed is also feeble, they should have sticked with the book version (sadly they didn't for budget reasons)
    I talked to a group of friends after seeing the finale who reassured me - a book reader - that they - non-book readers - had realised that the Ironborn may not be responsible, so clearly it just requires putting a and b together. So be aware fellow book readers, just cos people haven't read the books, doesn't mean they'll struggle to work out what the heck is going on.

And in other news, if it's not in the TV Series to date,

It.

Is.

A.

Spoiler.

Tag It!

I summon the big dark nipple, in attack mode!

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

IT IS SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

IT IS SUPER EFFECTIVE!
    The Fat Pink Mast is in formation.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Prophet1331's Avatar Ducenarius

Question on the last trailer:

Who's the one imprisoned? And if it's Tyrion, why? Joffrey's wedding wasn't supposed to be featured in this season.

Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

Default Re: Winter is Here!

Concerning the omen in the beginning of the story (don't click the spoiler if you haven't read through all of the books!):

The mother direwolf dying from an encounter with the stag, could it be related with the events after Robert Baratheon's visit leading to the Stark families' demise?

Dany saying 'i will show you no mercy'. God she is perfect, it depresses me...

Quote Originally Posted by MrExpendable View Post
    Concerning the omen in the beginning of the story (don't click the spoiler if you haven't read through all of the books!):

The mother direwolf dying from an encounter with the stag, could it be related with the events after Robert Baratheon's visit leading to the Stark families' demise?

Its pretty obvious - even at the time, everyone in the party is disturbed by the symbolism of it

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
    Its pretty obvious - even at the time, everyone in the party is disturbed by the symbolism of it

I think you're right about it's obviousness. Another thing I found significant about the omen is that the wolf had cubs. Now this is just speculation, but would you think that the existence of her offspring mean that the Starks still have a future?

I wouldn't consider a total happy ending for the Starks would fit the ASoIaF universe. But I really do hope that if there are family members who do survive, they will eventually find some redemption. It's so tragic what happened to them.

Interesting panel discussion at the Emmys featuring George, the producers and some of the cast. Some interesting tidbits, some good laughs, and I'm pretty sure that Michelle Fairley is drunk....

Most interesting of all is George talking about staying ahead of the TV series, says he's hoping AFFC and ADWD will be made into 3 series.

http://www.emmys.com/game-of-thrones