Thread: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

Default Re: [GENERAL DISCUSSION] [SPOILERS] HBO's Game of Thrones Series

at that point in the book he was rather a pink priest than a red one and his mail in the photo looks slightly reddish (to me that is)

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by jomas View Post
    It's on the Facebook group as well, the Blackfish looks a lot more Blackfishy in this photo.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Loading Screen Acquired +Rep

Edit: 50 Pixels Too Narrow
    Last edited by Inarus; January 25, 2013 at 02:58 PM.

SuicidalBrownie's Avatar Civis
    Beautiful city of Utrecht, The Netherlands

I just found this magnificent album, full of season 3 pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/Gus1y
    I hope you like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
    Is it me, or is the Red Priest not very red? I also imagined him as balder and rounder.

ButtSwag's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post

Making it 50 pixels wider wouldn't be very noticeable

Now, don't get me wrong. Rome was a great series. But come on, "they stole our show"? If memory serves, Rome was cancelled way before HBO even considered doing Game of Thrones.
    I read that Rome was supposed to be 5 seasons in total. They had started shooting season two when HBO decided to cancel the show.

Season one was to finish with Caesar's murder.
    Season two was to end with the defeat of Brutus and Cassius.
    Season three and four was to deal with Anthony and Octavian. Season four would end presumably with Actium and Anthony's death.
    Season Five was to be about Christ and Jerusalem etc. Or something like that.

I never read of it being seven seasons till I saw that link.

The set for Rome cost a fortune apparently. And it burnt down somewhere along the line so they had to rebuild it. I think that did it for HBO.
    I also read on some blog that some of the actors were not thrilled about spending so much time in Italy.
    Don't know if this is true or not.
    At the time, I think Rome cost more than GOT does now. Back then, I think that was something HBO were not sure they could handle. I believe Rome Season one cost something like $90,000,000 to make. Plus I think the BBC made a $10,000,000 contribution on top of this.
    The BBC pulled out, which probably helped HBO come to the decision to cancel the show.

I think there are a lot of similarities between the two shows, backstabbing, political intrigue, sex and violence etc. The only real difference is that a lot of people know what will happen in Rome i.e. Caesar gets killed by Brutus, Anthony loses to Octavian etc. Unlike GOT, where no one knows what will happen as the books aren't finished. And also, the bulk of the viewers for GOT probably will never read the books. So they don't know what will happen. Most of the people I know that watch the show have not read the books. Nor will they.

The time frame between GOT and the end of Rome, about four years, would leave one to think that the cancellation of Rome had nothing to do with GOT. But considering some of these shows take years to pitch and then be developed, GOT could very well have been on HBO's radar before Rome got cancelled.
    I seriously doubt HBO could have afforded to produce both Rome and GOT. Thats about $200 million dollars a year. For just two shows. Throw in broadwalk empire, another set heavy show and thats some major moolah HBO has to come up with.

Its a shame that McKidd and Purefoy won't be in GoT. I knew JP probably would not do the show when I saw he was in 'The Following'. I think he would have made a great Oberyn Martell.
    I can't think of McKidd as any one character from GoT. Probably an Ironborn?
    Ray Stevenson would make a great Victarion I think. Maybe Areo Hotah!

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

Love this one

Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Suribachi View Post
    Love this one

He's even bad ass when he's depressed

That Dragonstone set is almost exactly how I pictured it in my mind when audiobooking. Only I pictured it underground, with no sunlight, and some more random coming up from the ground.

As for HBO's Rome...

It looked great and sounded great, and it's undoubtedly the best series/movie/anything set in ancient Rome that we have today. But I feel that it didn't deserve more than two seasons, given how frustratedly simplified the political conflicts were, and how rushed the post-Caesar events were. Game of Thrones holds back on introducing people like the Reeds because they don't want to overwhelm the narrative with too many characters, HBO's Rome completely cuts out hugely important figures and still have less than half the cast Game of Thrones does.

I shouldn't even be comparing them, but it's infuriating for me that the Optimates vs Caesar conflict was boiled down to a shriveled husk that it appeared to be Pompey jealous of Caesar's popularity, as if he could give a about that enough to threaten Caesar to the brink of war.

Also, frustrated that they left out:
    Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus
    Decimus Brutus
    Afranius and Petreus
    Sextus Pompeius (or anyone other than the "Quntus Pompey" who died like a )
    Quintus Tullius Cicero
    Fulvia (Don't even argue about Atia, because I love Fulvia)

And failed to namedrop:
    Gaius Marius
    Lucius Cornelius Sulla
    Publius Clodius
    The huge gang warfare going on between Clodius and Milo

That's like making a series about Bill Clinton's first term and never mentioning Bush or Reagan or the Cold War.

Also, it does indeed look to me as someone either here or on youtube comments mentioned that Maisee Williams is getting a bit fat. Same with Sophie Turner.
    Last edited by AndariusHaliusScipio; January 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

This thread is called HBO Game of Thrones you know...

My post began and ended with Game of Thrones stuff. Even the middle part was compared with it.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

I don't need to explain you that 90% of your post was about HBO's Rome. End of the discussion

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

fat? you are a funny man......

Quote Originally Posted by AndariusHaliusScipio View Post

Also, it does indeed look to me as someone either here or on youtube comments mentioned that Maisee Williams is getting a bit fat. Same with Sophie Turner.
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; January 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Inarus View Post

Can easily be resized. 50 Pixels is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by SuicidalBrownie View Post
    I just found this magnificent album, full of season 3 pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/Gus1y
    I hope you like it...
    Nice find!

It looked great and sounded great, and it's undoubtedly the best series/movie/anything set in ancient Rome that we have today. But I feel that it didn't deserve more than two seasons, given how frustratedly simplified the political conflicts were, and how rushed the post-Caesar events were. Game of Thrones holds back on introducing people like the Reeds because they don't want to overwhelm the narrative with too many characters, HBO's Rome completely cuts out hugely important figures and still have less than half the cast Game of Thrones does.
    I felt that Rome did deserve to go on after season one. As if many of the viewers of GOT understand the politics going on! I get asked questions about whats going on all the time! And a big complaint is that there are too many characters for GOT. People forget who is who. Season II of GOT was not very good in my opinion. Quite poor until the last couple of episodes to be quite honest.

Considering that HBO will likely catch upto GRRM before he has finished writing GOT, book II should have been made into two seasons. Then perhaps season II would not have been so poor.

I shouldn't even be comparing them, but it's infuriating for me that the Optimates vs Caesar conflict was boiled down to a shriveled husk that it appeared to be Pompey jealous of Caesar's popularity, as if he could give a about that enough to threaten Caesar to the brink of war.
    I agree about the Opitimates vs Caesar. I think you are wrong about Pompey being jealous of Caesar.
    Pompey was jealous of Caesar.
    I think that the difference between the two and why the optimates saw Pompey as the lesser of two evils between Pompey and Caesar was that Pompey was content as long as he was viewed as the "first citizen".
    Caesar wanted to actually be the "first citizen".

I agree with you about the other characters. Fulvia comes over as being very similar to Cersei. Or vice versa.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

last reminder to say on topic, we will delete further non GOT posts (yes, also those that have only tiny GOT bits).

Aw snap you've just been moderated. Anyways to bring this conversation back on topic it appears we may get a better look at Dragonstone this season which would be sweet considering we didn't get much of a look last season. Maybe it could inspire some living legends of modeling (Ahem *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink* Inarus ).

Wehn I look up news and see comments and such I see such fan love and gushing over Oleanna Tyrell and how "badass" she'll be and such.

Spoiler alerts follow.

Unless I rushed a bit through the audiobooks (which I'm sure I didn't) Oleanna Tyrell didn't really do . He tried to have Sansa taken away from Joffrey, but when that was quashed, she just kind of faded into obscurity. Why all this love and heated excitement over her? I'd be more excited for that slaver guy who sexually harasses Daenerys to her face, thinking she doesn't understand him.

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

lolwut?
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

Wehn I look up news and see comments and such I see such fan love and gushing over Oleanna Tyrell and how "badass" she'll be and such.

Spoiler alerts follow.

Unless I rushed a bit through the audiobooks (which I'm sure I didn't) Oleanna Tyrell didn't really do . He tried to have Sansa taken away from Joffrey, but when that was quashed, she just kind of faded into obscurity. Why all this love and heated excitement over her? I'd be more excited for that slaver guy who sexually harasses Daenerys to her face, thinking she doesn't understand him.
    well she did work with
    Littlefinger to kill Joffrey (she even put the poison in the cup or gave it to Margaery to do so)