View Poll Results: How do you rate that idea - do you like such principle?

Voters
421. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hey, good idea, i like the possibility for all to contribute to the mod

340 80.76%
  • Whoot? MasterBigAb go away, step by side, let the King speak !!!

23 5.46%
  • Cool a poll, I have no opinion about this but i really liek to vote on polls...

58 13.78%
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: "Custom Settlement: modells and objects" - collection point

baz44331's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: "Custom Settlement: modells and objects" - collection point

It looks to me like the softwere is 3D MAX.

Amazing work. As to the statue - if they were limited to 3 or 4 over the map, then that's not too bad - I wouldn't particularly like to go around seeing one on every corner. You might be able to use a Bump Map to simulate some of the texture on it.

As for Balin's Tomb, that's only once a map, so putting in a few thousand won't be too bad.

I've found this on the net:
    http://www.exceedingthelimits.se/portfolio/?cat=32
    Maybe you guys should contact the creator because that Minas Morgul looks sweet
    Last edited by Belkar; January 08, 2011 at 02:59 AM.

TMK's Avatar BC Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Belkar View Post
    That looks great! If the KK puts it in it will be awesome. But it might need to be reworked to fit a battlemap and M2TW balancing.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Amazing find

His work was eventually put into the MERP project for Oblivion.

Anyway, for design ideas for settlements, I would suggest to look to LotRO for some ideas. While the game hasn't revealed much of Tolkien's world, they have made some beautiful renditions of some prominent settlements (Annuminas, Fornost, Bree, the Shire, Thorin's Halls, Moria, Caras Galadhon, Dol Goldur, Ost-in-edhil, and a fictional Dunland settlement).
    Last edited by Agamaran; January 08, 2011 at 04:37 AM.

It would be nice to see the Settlement of Rohan the one with the hall of Edoras.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamaran View Post
    Anyway, for design ideas for settlements, I would suggest to look to LotRO for some ideas. While the game hasn't revealed much of Tolkien's world, they have made some beautiful renditions of some prominent settlements (Annuminas, Fornost, Bree, the Shire, Thorin's Halls, Moria, Caras Galadhon, Dol Goldur, Ost-in-edhil, and a fictional Dunland settlement).
    I totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by baz44331 View Post
    It would be nice to see the Settlement of Rohan the one with the hall of Edoras.
    Actually Edoras is the settlement and the hall is something starting with m. I can't quite remember what. And I think that there are other settlements which should be done first as although it is important and is quite popular because of the movies (it doesn't stand out at all in the books, at least not to me) it isn't that different to vanilla settlements. I couldn't give you a very detailed plan of it and I'm a pretty big fan except that it's built on a hill, has a pallisade style wall, there is a risen "keep" part and that there are two (and later 3) lines of tombs outside. Also the tombs would probably annoy me as Thengel would get his own tomb, then Theoden and then a new line should be started. It wouldn't annoy me much but would be slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemoniser View Post
    The hall is something starting with m. I can't quite remember what.
    It's called Meduseld, the Golden Hall of the King of Rohan. And I think Edoras is a very important place in the game (especially if you play as Rohan) since almost in every campaign I've played the first invasion is called on Edoras...

Today I have tried using milkshape for the first time and this is my first building ever:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's supposed to be a Gondorian building (yeah i know the textures suck)

very good for first time. Rep+

It's a great idea to collect models together for sharing...
    Hopefully others may do that for other eras and subjects at some point.

I'd just like to point out that the main issue with getting models to work in game is sorting out the texturing...
    TO WORK IN GAME!
    It's quite easy to make a nice looking model in ms3d - but pretty useless if it won't translate into the game.

The issue is that milkshape allows faces (triangles) to be independently mapped to different bits of texture without duplicating the vertexes at the edges of those triangles. MT2W doesn't accept that, so if you have two faces that share a vertex and you try and map those faces to different points on the texture, whilst it looks fine in milkshape, what you end up with after putting it in game is a mangled mess where it tries to average the texture coordinate points.

To get split mapping of textures to work you have to force milkshape to duplicate the vertexes you don't want to be shared. That can either be done by using the 'regroup' function so the bits you want mapped independently are split off into separate group, or by selecting the relevant faces, duplicating to separate group and then deleting the original faces.

Getting all that to work properly takes a lot more time than making pretty looking structures in ms3d... In short I'd recommend not posting any building files unless you've checked they load and display OK as added structure via IWTE tool.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post

I'd just like to point out that the main issue with getting models to work in game is sorting out the texturing...
    TO WORK IN GAME!
    It's quite easy to make a nice looking model in ms3d - but pretty useless if it won't translate into the game.

The issue is that milkshape allows faces (triangles) to be independently mapped to different bits of texture without duplicating the vertexes at the edges of those triangles. MT2W doesn't accept that, so if you have two faces that share a vertex and you try and map those faces to different points on the texture, whilst it looks fine in milkshape, what you end up with after putting it in game is a mangled mess where it tries to average the texture coordinate points.

To get split mapping of textures to work you have to force milkshape to duplicate the vertexes you don't want to be shared. That can either be done by using the 'regroup' function so the bits you want mapped independently are split off into separate group, or by selecting the relevant faces, duplicating to separate group and then deleting the original faces.

Getting all that to work properly takes a lot more time than making pretty looking structures in ms3d... In short I'd recommend not posting any building files unless you've checked they load and display OK as added structure via IWTE tool.
    thanks for the info
    I will post that in the first thread as well
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; January 08, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks for the tips makanyane .

@ Belkar: nice gondorish tower ! Great found for the tower of the Eye but it will probably need rework.

@ Louis Lux: thanks for the answer about the map.
    REP Blackomur89.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post

TO WORK IN GAME!

And to think that I was thinking of trying to have a go with this. Definitely above my head.

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Here are various weapons I made for the dwarven statue so it's not the same at every corner:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm also making 2 or 3 helmets and I'll post everything once finished.
    REP Blackomur89.

He he... I voted the last option.

Good work though.

It's called Meduseld, the Golden Hall of the King of Rohan. And I think Edoras is a very important place in the game (especially if you play as Rohan) since almost in every campaign I've played the first invasion is called on Edoras...
    Ahh right thats the name. And actually that is true, I was thinking more lore wise but thats just wrong considering what we're talking about. Also I did want it added eventually, I jsut thought it should be a bit down the list. I've changed my mind now though, it's true about the invasions.

started a model of minas morgul. i've already done the tower, most of the inside ring and some part of the front wall... the result is pretty close to the minas morgul posted previously eventhough i do not have the ambition to say it is as good: perhaps less details, some parts are a bit customised 'cause i've got no idea how the guy did it,and i dunno how to texture nicely those models: so far i've only tested some textures on some random parts with texturs imported from minas morgul pictures.

I didn't really understand makanyane's explanation, but I tried to ungroup parts of the citadel which have different textures. After, I've got to try to make the IWTE work since i've no idea how to use it even with KK's manual...

will post pics as soon as i can. (that means when i get internet on my pc...) I just hope it will work.

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Wow that's a big project Red_Devil. One thing I'm not sure to understand: is your minas morgul a settlement or a part of it ? I think it's a part of it but never know... Anyway you're welcome .
    REP Blackomur89.