Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions and Ideas

Icon3 Suggestions and Ideas

Suggestions and Ideas

Secession Civil War needs you !

Our mod will be created for, with and by the players. It's not (only) because of lazyness, but because we are not experienced and advanced modders. Our reduced team doesn't allow us to make something huge in one time. It's why we will try to improve the mod step by step, with patchs and submods.

If you have brilliant ideas, historical knowledge, or critics, don't hesitate to post here your (unreallistic) suggestions ! Even if you have no modding skills, of course. We hear you all, we love you all!

The SCW team will not read messages from members who haven't any modding skills, or critics, or anything that begun to suggest that SCW is still not ultimate and perfect.
    Last edited by Nirnaeth Arnoediad; December 20, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
    In Secession CivilWar we trust

Britabroad's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Suggestions and Ideas

I received a message from Nirnaeth Arnoediad regarding doing some historical research for the mod.
    I´ve tried replying but my replies don´t seem to be going through, so I´m posting here.
    Just to say that I´m more than willing to help and have several files of information that could be useful to the modding team (generals with photos and pre-war resumes, US & CSA spies with photos and resumes, civil war maps of each state, civil war political and social events, civil war quotes, etc etc).
    If he or another member of the team could contact me with details of what´s required I´d be happy to send you whatever you need.
    Keep up the good work.
    "The principle for which we contend is bound to re-assert itself, though it may be at another time, and in another form." - Jefferson Davis

While I´m here, some suggestions if possible

At least 1 month per turn even 2 turns per month if possible.
    Diplomats replaced as spies - no need for diplomats, but spies were used by both sides
    Civil War events, quotes, and event driven scripts, such as the British sending an army to Canada in 1861 due to the Trent Affair.
    Indian units recruitable for both the CSA and USA, eg Cherokees fought for the CSA - but reskinned in uniforms.
    Kentucky as a neutral state, up for grabs, but it rebels against whoever occupies it.
    Missouri and Kansas with both Union "Jayhawkers" and Confederate "Bushwacker" units present at the game start.
    No foreign involvement except the British, and only if certain criteria is met.
    Historical generals and characters - with photographs.
    Individual units as regiments, not brigades. eg The "Stonewall" Brigade actually consisted of 4 regiments, not one single unit.
    Units enlisted in historically accurate regions - Texas Rangers in Texas, not Virginia etc
    "The principle for which we contend is bound to re-assert itself, though it may be at another time, and in another form." - Jefferson Davis

Nirnaeth Arnoediad's Avatar Vive l'Empereur !

Quote Originally Posted by Britabroad View Post
    At least 1 month per turn even 2 turns per month if possible.
    Diplomats replaced as spies - no need for diplomats, but spies were used by both sides
    We have planned 15 days turns ; so the 4 years campaign will take 24*4 = 96 turns, that we will around to 100.

Civil War events, quotes, and event driven scripts, such as the British sending an army to Canada in 1861 due to the Trent Affair.
    Don't forget the Napoleon III mexican expedition at this time... not programmed for the first versions of course, but the new factions and units will be added step by step. The campaign will, at the end of the developement, include a totally historical North America.

Indian units recruitable for both the CSA and USA, eg Cherokees fought for the CSA - but reskinned in uniforms.
    Of course. We could even add indian factions if history and gameplay allow it.

Individual units as regiments, not brigades. eg The "Stonewall" Brigade actually consisted of 4 regiments, not one single unit.
    The med2 engine use only one type of regiment, the unit... very unhistorical, I know. So it's difficult to represent correctly the true armies organisation. And don't forget that creating new units needs to have good uniforms infos + a real need to specialize/ungeneric an already existing generic unit.

Hi Nimaeth
    Thanks for the responses. I think the BIG strength of your mod will be the ability to create a realistic campaign map from scratch. That will be a big bonus with proper States and Territories etc.
    A couple of questions:
    1. How large do you envisage the individual units being? I haven´t played MTW2 for a couple of years and can´t remember the numbers involved or if they can be changed.
    2. Let me know what you´d like me to research for you and if you could use some or all of the stuff that I have. I´m willing to pass everything on and let you decide for yourself what´s possible to use and what isn´t.

It all sounds very good.

I can work a bit more on this but just a idea.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Waou ! Very impressive ! I particularly like the police you used. Could I know its name ?
    But I fear it's to similar to the symbol of the mod The blue and the Grey for ETW...
    I'ldn't like to cause a mod war ^^.

But thanks for your interest ! All the banners or any other 2D arts you would like to create for us would be sincerly welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirnaeth Arnoediad View Post
    Waou ! Very impressive ! I particularly like the police you used. Could I know its name ?
    What police?

Ho, sorry, I mean "font". In french, police.

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

a suggestion and a question...
    In med2 the archers could put up stakes...
    Is it possible to reskin the stakes to sandbags?
    It would be cool to see those riflemen behind the sandbags
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Nirnaeth Arnoediad View Post
    Ho, sorry, I mean "font". In french, police.
    Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by drecie14 View Post
    a suggestion and a question...
    In med2 the archers could put up stakes...
    Is it possible to reskin the stakes to sandbags?
    It would be cool to see those riflemen behind the sandbags
    I was just thinking about a similar idea... how to use stakes. But from my -few- modding skill in this special thing, I believe it's something harcoded. At least the "killing" script for the cav units who try to pass through the "stakes" model.

But the light units (enginners or sharpshooters) will have the classic "stakes" capacity.

@TZAR : very good ! I'll implement it in our next union preview!

Hi!!

My compliments for your idea and works I always found terrible and intriguing the setting you propose! Just a question, as i read somewhere that cavalry, in civil war, was quite never used to charge but only for recon or mounted infantry. Is it true? And which kind of mounted troops there will be?
    Thank you!
    <> If you think my english is bad, you never heard my japanese
    <> "Ama il prossimo tuo...NON QUESTO! IL PROSSIMO!"
    <> "Non bisogna prendere la vita troppo sul serio! Tanto non se ne esce vivi!!"
    <> "Saru mo ki kara ochiru"

Yes, it's totally true. But of course cavalry charged artillery and scattered light units.
    In the mod, each faction has 4 cavs ; 1 light, 1 medium and 2 cavs with carabins (so more heavy). Of course, those units haven't any chance against a strong infantry regiment. But demoralized militia, sharpshooters, cannons crew etc are vulnerable.

Mm... ok!! Thank you!! That seems very realistic indeed
    Definitely i'll keep an eye on this promising mod!
    <> If you think my english is bad, you never heard my japanese
    <> "Ama il prossimo tuo...NON QUESTO! IL PROSSIMO!"
    <> "Non bisogna prendere la vita troppo sul serio! Tanto non se ne esce vivi!!"
    <> "Saru mo ki kara ochiru"

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

I know this is a BETA and I'm just trying to help this is a really great mod so far keep up the great work

1. please lose the Cowboy hats they look weird and where not used at the time of the mod

2. The Berdan sharpshooters uniform is wrong "but still looks good" here's a link that mite help you http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/art.html and most US sharpshooters wore the same Blue uniform as the regular army did not the green Berdan uniform

3. I think that the light Cavalry and Generals Staff units should have revolvers to use at close range before they charge or give one of the medium Cavalry units revolvers instead of carbines

4. I think it would be cool to have US and CS marines only recruitable at ports and with better stats like more movement points and better morale. I can't find any good pic's right now but the US Marines had dark Blue Kepi, dark blue coat, and white pants, CS Marines had dark Blue Kepi, gray coat, and white pants. and both had white belts and gear straps
    Last edited by Protestant Knight; January 02, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

some answers :

0. sorry for my approximate translation : I'm a newbie in english...

1. I create 10 or 12 models of hats. It's terrible for me to know that they looks "weird"... [cry ! cry!] so can you give me some models (screens or pictures)

2. I know that a lot of units have mistakes. But sometimes I focus on gameplay and not on historical veracity. Berdans and Sharp are green for not be confused with generic infantry (in blue)

3. only officers have revolver in this mod because the revolver don't fire ! We have no animation for this gun. Maybee in the future ...

4. Did marine corps fight in ground ? because in MedII, there's any naval battle ... so I don't create marine units.
    In Secession CivilWar we trust

I think we should keep the cowoy hats, as it is still historically accurate. A lot of soldiers preferred the wide brimmed slouch hat than the khepi because it protected you from the elements. I myself have a Yankee cavalry slouch hat in my Confederate reenactment gear for the same reason.

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

I didn't mean that the cowboy look bad itself its just no won had them East of the Mississippi river and I think the other wide brimmed hats look great in game I was not trying to say your work was bad at all some times I don't elaborate so I'm sorry for that

Here's a link for more hats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

AND there is a slouch hat in that link so if they were used then I'm really sorry but in 18 years of ACW reenacting and researching and reading books I have never seen anyone have one on but if some one can can find a actual 1860's pic send one to me always learning new stuff ?

On the US Marines a battalion of US Marines was at the battle of First Bull Run/Manassas US Marines also fought at New Orleans, Charleston, Fort Fisher, and all along the Mississippi river

On the revolver can't you use the Reiters pistols and just re skin them and increase the rate of fire a latte bit ?
    Last edited by Protestant Knight; January 03, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast