Thread: Making Faction Symbols in GIMP

Icon1 Making Faction Symbols in GIMP

recently posted this over at rome totalwar heaven.. so i thought id post it here as well...

Introduction: (skip this if you want)
    First of all I must say that I am not at all artistic person and so the the finished product of this tutorial may not be up to everyone's standards. But the point of this tutorial is to show the basics to people wanting to learn, who may then explore the possibilities themselves.

OK. now to get started.
    The symbol we will make in this tutorial is the following:

First of all find the symbol you want (I have included the one I use in the .zip file). There are basically two choices with this. You can draw and scan your own, or do the lazy thing like me and go to google.
    After simply searching black and white symbol I have found what I want:

Now its time for the real start of the tutorial...
    STEP 1:
    Open up the gimp file named "tutorialstart.xcf" inside the included .zip file and press Ctrl + L to open up the Layers window.
    Your screen should now look something like like this.

STEP 2:
    select the bottom layer in the layers window then go to Filters -> Renders -> Sphere Designer. A window like this should pop up like this:

At this point I would recommend deleting the Bottom 'light' layer, after doing so, muck around with the colour setting of both layers until you get the desired look. This is what mine looks like:

Now press ok. The sphere you made should fit perfectly inside the ring. If it does not, check my settings and make sure nothing is set to different levels.
    Now go to Layer Transform Flip horizontally:

The lightest part of the orb should now be in the top right corner.
    Now its time for some minute tweaking. Go to Colours Hue/Saturation and tweak the lightness levels so the bottom left of the orb is not to dark:

Great... you now have the base for your faction symbol.
    STEP 3:
    It is now time to place the symbol onto your base.
    First of all open the symbol you found/made at the start of the tutorial.
    Go to Colours -> Posterize and lower the number to two. Click ok.
    Next go to Layer -> Transparency -> add alpha channel. If it cannot be clicked it has already been activated:

Once this is done select the fuzzy tool (the magic wand, top line, fourth from left in the toolbox) and select and delete all the white on the
    picture. It should look something like this:

Select the symbol and copy it to the base. Make sure the top layer is selected and click the new layer icon. (red arrow is pointing at it)
    [PNG, (654.38 KB)]
    The symbol should now be its own layer. Make sure it is selected before going to Layers -> scale Layer. And slowly scale it down bit by bit until it is the correct size. Move it to the centre of the base using the "move tool" (third row from top, 2nd across from left)
    and you should now have a basic symbol.

STEP 4: finishing up
    This is an optional step as it is only here to add the flare of light shown in the first picture.
    First of all merge all the layers into one:

Now go to Filters -> light and shadow -> Lens Flare:

select the position and intensity of the flare and click ok.
    You now have your finished product.

If anyone finds any errors (there are bound to be some) or has any suggestions please post.
    EDIT: i noticed the last few pictures are blurry... i will try to correct the problem oh and excuse my bad punctuation i was in a hurry.

Default Re: Making Faction Symbols in GIMP

please excuse the blurry images... there seems to be a problem on photobucket when it tries to resize them
    Last edited by Squid; October 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM.

Icon4 Re: Making Faction Symbols in GIMP

could someone reply...

are there any problems with the tutorial? as i havent had much editing time.
    Last edited by Squid; October 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM.

Very good! I liked it and I have to say that it's very easy to follow and there is no Jargon there. You can use colour images but it's not for the beginners.
    I'M BAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK!

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

This is a great tutorial,it helped me to make my silenti faction simbol for the my Silenti mod.

Great tutorial ! One note though :

Instead of trying to use the Magic Want tool for your symbol, there's a better trick. Copy and rescale your symbol onto your base. Doesn't matter if the symbol still has a BG. Now, the trick is 'Layer Modes'. In this case 2 particular modes, 'Multiply' and 'Screen'. The idea behind them is simple :

Multiply only adds the dark pixels to the layer below
    Screen only adds the light pixels on the layer below. Check the images below :

First I rescale and stuff

Then I set layer mode to 'Multiply' (it's called "vermenigvuldigen" in my Dutch version)

If, however, I invert the colors (so the symbol is white and the background black), I get this :

But when I set layer mode to 'Screen' ("Scherm" in my version)

Etc..

SavageFeat's Avatar Senator

hey is it possible to get the photo of the faction symbol outline as a jpg file or psd?
    Wars of Rome: The rise
    A Modifacation for Rome : Total War 1.5
    (Pretty sure its dead now^)

The link is broken. Can you upload the circle-frame again or can you tell me how to make it?

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

please re-link it,

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Here you go:
    Attachment 218652

This was a really great functional Tutorial , but I would like if you do a tutorial also for Captain Banners and all other symbols that we need to change to replace a faction with a hole new one because its really hard

Nice one new to the modding just wondering what i need to do all this please can anyone post some links up of the tools that are required thanks lads.

All you need is Photoshop or GIMP. Gimp is free, look it up and download it if you dont have photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    All you need is Photoshop or GIMP. Gimp is free, look it up and download it if you dont have photoshop
    Thanks mate is it the same way as skinning units with the dds convertor to convert the files and i just want to know what text files need to be changed want to do new banners and symbols for the egyptians.

I believe so yes. Everything you need to know is included in the tutorial above

I have extracted all the files found the ones for the units but cant seem to find the ones for the symbol can anyone point me in the right direction please of what folder there in sorry to be a pain but only new to the modding thanks any help would be app.

Agreas's Avatar Laetus

The actual symbol was found doing a google search. Just pick any simple black and white symbol for this tutorial.