Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes

ninlarr

OK TBP I will do that. And ok Boris whatever you say. So I quoted wrong. I wont even bother to comment further. I just thank God everyday I was born an American. ...

Trobalov's Avatar Greek Pride

ninlarr maybe you havent read the topic the is pinned in all sections called FORUM RULES. According to them you are not allowed to flame and insult other people. You should respect other peoples opinion and discuss civilized.

Life is like Chess, once you make a move you can't take it back.

I almost wish I saw that post before the finger of god came down and moderated, old school.

My quote, and it's a meaningless one, sort of -
    "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?"
    -Yossarian
    "Jamf was only a fiction, to help him explain what he felt so terribly, so immediately in his genitals for those rockets each time exploding in the sky... to help him deny what the could not possibly admit: that he might be in love, in sexual love, with his, and his race's, death." - Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Join my Dark Throne army!
    Proudly patronizing Nihil

Trust me... you don't want to see it rububula....

I had to calm down after I saw that horrible, moronic post. I am still angry that there could even be people with that level of ignorance, but I'm getting over it.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

JvlivsCaesar's Avatar Civitate
    San Francisco, CA. But I whant to be in Sankt Peterburg.

Here are couple of Russian patriotic quotes.

"The key to politics is make a good treaty with russia." Bismark

"Never march on Moscow and never wage a land war in asia" Military advice

And my personal favorit quote about war is
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    Caveat Lector

Originally posted by rububula@Feb 27 2004, 03:49 AM
    I almost wish I saw that post before the finger of god came down and moderated, old school.

My quote, and it's a meaningless one, sort of -
    "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?"
    -Yossarian
    Perhaps the best so far.... kick a$$ rubbula
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Here is to political theoris sumurized in one quote each can any one tell me what they are?

"Every new generation is a wave of saveges who must be civilised by their family, school and church"

"Every generation should have a revolution to model thr world after their image."

I know I know its not fare to ask poli si questions but we have to keep the forum intresting.
    Caveat Lector

Decanus

Generals conquer; soldiers die someone from japan
    There goes the human intellect: give them an inch, and they run a mile in the wrong direction.

Off all the gauls, the belgians are the bravest ... ==> Julius Caesar

Civitate

Originally posted by Krazy Munkey@Oct 3 2003, 01:58 AM
    Mine is from Confucius.

"He who runs with aggression walks with no dignity."

Does anyone offer an analysis?
    I think what he is saying is that if we are quick to be overly aggressive, then we have no dignity as we are acting on impulse not wisdom. It's kind of a 'look before you leap' thing, or at least that's what I take from that phrase.
    "It's better to speak and be thought a fool, then to remain quiet and remove all doubt"
    I like this similar phrase better "Fools talk when wise men listen"

You know which phrase I never understood, maybe because I never lived on a farm or dealt with horses, is "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Can someone please explaing it's meaning?

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

The condition of horse´s teeth reveals his age.

Originally posted by The Cimmerian@Mar 4 2004, 07:20 PM
    "He who runs with aggression walks with no dignity."
    I think the Western version of this is "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

Civitate

Originally posted by Trax@Mar 4 2004, 07:56 PM
    The condition of horse´s teeth reveals his age.
    Ah, It's all clear now, thank you Trax.

in words of Lord Nelson
    "Never mind the manuvers go straight at 'em"
    Caveat Lector

"Bones break, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever" - by me

It's something I said once when a friend of mine was talking about how all the stuff we do in life should have meaning, kinda like a Gladiator-movie speech.

IMHO I don't really believe that the individual can make a big difference, I think a group of equal-minded individuals can, but it is the will of one that can push him to the limit.
    Arriving at puberty I was a non-belligerant dude, minding my own business, just another John Doe (pardon the americanism ). Then, after reading bucket loads of books about Zen buddhism, Taoism and Bushido (and after getting severly trashed with beer loads of times) I made this phrase my personnal Tao, or Do (if you prefer the japanese term) and called it the "Tao of Manji". Nowadays it means what I really am: unafraid. Unafraid of going against social conventions and rules of ettiquete, don't giving a damn about what other people might think of me.

Cheers Mates
    浪人 - 二天一

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Originally posted by Manji@Mar 5 2004, 09:21 AM
    "Bones break, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever" - by me

It's something I said once when a friend of mine was talking about how all the stuff we do in life should have meaning, kinda like a Gladiator-movie speech.

IMHO I don't really believe that the individual can make a big difference, I think a group of equal-minded individuals can, but it is the will of one that can push him to the limit.
    Arriving at puberty I was a non-belligerant dude, minding my own business, just another John Doe (pardon the americanism ). Then, after reading bucket loads of books about Zen buddhism, Taoism and Bushido (and after getting severly trashed with beer loads of times) I made this phrase my personnal Tao, or Do (if you prefer the japanese term) and called it the "Tao of Manji". Nowadays it means what I really am: unafraid. Unafraid of going against social conventions and rules of ettiquete, don't giving a damn about what other people might think of me.

Cheers Mates
    Hmm... That quote is very similar to something 'Tyler Durden' said in Fight Club. I can't remember his exact words but it went something like that. I thought you were quoting him when I first read that quote.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Anibal Barca

"Bones break, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever"

that's the exact quote Keanu Reeves said in the end of an old americanfootball movie too... but maybe he said "Bones heal" instead of "Bones break", don't remember that well, but it makes more sense

Civitate

Originally posted by Manji@Mar 5 2004, 09:21 AM
    Then, after reading bucket loads of books about Zen buddhism, Taoism and Bushido (and after getting severly trashed with beer loads of times) I made this phrase my personnal Tao, or Do (if you prefer the japanese term) and called it the "Tao of Manji". Nowadays it means what I really am: unafraid. Unafraid of going against social conventions and rules of ettiquete, don't giving a damn about what other people might think of me.

I can relate completely. I too am learning the philosophies of Zen, Buddhism, etc and am also unafraid of most things in this world, especially other men. The only fear that I have left that I am trying to overcome is the fear of dying from some form of disease. I understand that we have no control over how we die (with the exception of suicide) but I would hate to rot away on a death bed in my last days. I would much rather prefer to go out 'warrior style' and die in combat. Who know what tomorrow brings. I came up with my own tao of life, or my own quote relating to life.
    "One can die any day, in any way, to live life in every way, every day"

ryrodman1_r2

Samuel Clemens Langhorne a.k.a. Mark Twain

"Prosperity is the best protector of principle"

"In the first place God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made School Boards"

"Each person is born to one possession which outvalues all his others--his last breath"

"To be good is noble; but to show others how to be good is nobler and no trouble"

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriote the cat"

"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education."

After an attempted burglary on Twain's home in 1908, he posted this on his door

"NOTICE, To the next Burglar. There is nothing but plated ware in this house, now and henceforth you will find it in that brass thing in the dining-room over in the corner by the basket of kittens. If you want the basket put the kittens in the brass thing. Do not make a noise - it disturbs the family. You will find rubbers in the front hall, by that thing which has the umbrellas in it, chiffonier, I think they call it, or pergola, or womething like that. Please close the door when you go away. Very truly yours, Sam Clemens"

Decanus

Another famous example of the Spartans' laconic style is recorded
    in their response to Alexander's question about whether they
    wanted him to come to the Peloponnese as a friend or a foe; the
    official response was again a single word: "Neither."
    There goes the human intellect: give them an inch, and they run a mile in the wrong direction.

Off all the gauls, the belgians are the bravest ... ==> Julius Caesar

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

"Morality is on the side of the strongest artillery"

Napoleon Bonaparte

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy