Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB Building Progression - a Sneak Peek at one

Default EB Building Progression - a Sneak Peek at one

Just thought I'd let out a peek (an authorized one though :laughing: ) at one building progression - at least from one culture's point of view (this will certainly not be the complex from the point of view of the Romans or eastern factions or barbarian ones). The bonuses aren't set on these at all, so they are a WIP for sure, but the base information and progression are done, so it shouldn't hurt to give this one a viewing.

This is actually a look at the 'amphitheatres' building complex, but from a Hellenic point of view. No 'games' (like the Romans have) are held in them though if you are a Hellenic faction. They generally increase happiness and your generals who are present in cities that have these will probably get a slight boost in their chances if they compete in the Olympics - bettering their chances even more in the best ones below. They might have an XP boost at the highest levels, but we aren't sold on that yet. Harder to argue for it in 272 B.C. than if it had been in the 5th century B.C.

So first you start out constructing, at a very low cost, a Game Field:

Leimon Agonion - Game Field

Then you can construct a Small Gymnasion, at a higher cost of course:

Gymnasion Mikron - Small Gymnasion

Then, most cities can still construct a basic Gymnasion:

Gymnasion - Gymnasion

The basic Gymnasion is all that a lot of Hellenic cities can reach, but if you have certain types of governments, you can then face an option. You may choose to put more money and time into adding onto your gymnasion complex with a large palaistra and focus on bettering your citizens and generals' athletic pursuits. Or you can instead choose to put more money into developing the complex into one that focuses more on the pursuits of the mind and develop more its academic complexes.

Gymnasion Mega kai Palaistra - Great Gymnasion and Palaistra

Gymnasion Akademaikon - Academic Gymnasion

Some Hellenic factions don't have all these options, and some only have the highest options available in provinces with certain types of governments. After all, only those provinces that have the most truly Hellenic types of governments should be able to build their best structures.

Hope this livens things up a bit around here. I'm not involved in the hardest coding work going on right now with the preparations for the open beta, so I've been getting a bit 'antsy' and was itching to release a sneak-peak at some of this stuff. This actually is a brand new complex and many of our own members haven't seen all of this up until today as well. ~D Hope you enjoyed it!

sexy!

Awesome, although this is pretty standard stuff for some games (Civ 4 etc), this is a breakthrough for RTW. Excellent work!

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Beautiful stuff Tele. :wink:
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Major König's Avatar Civitate

Awesome. Im loving it. Can't wait to boost unit stats by making them athletes.

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

do you have any screens of the building on the battlemap?

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Thanks for this update lads! I am genuinelly missing EB updates, as they were in themselves quality literature.... glad to see a sign of life again :original:
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    do you have any screens of the building on the battlemap?
    Sorry, but while these buildings convey bonuses, interact with characters and their traits, and might affect other buildings, they are not visible in the battlemap. That would require a 3D modeller who was almost exclusively doing this for us, and we just don't have someone who can work on these things now. Plus it would take a lot of time considering the fact that we have a number of new ones. If anyone wanted to join up to help, we'd love it, but for now we just have icons and constructed images for them for the campaignmap. We have a number of others like this too though, so it's not all bad news.

Are these buildings destructable, such as if you're a barbarian and ya just want the loot??

Quote Originally Posted by MRY6
    Are these buildings destructable, such as if you're a barbarian and ya just want the loot??
    Most definitely. Very few buildings are indestructable as far as I know. We have some "buildings" like capes and "routes" and sacred mountains and such that aren't destructable, but most others are.

D*mn! Why did you show this? This makes me long for EB even more than I already was... :p
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Torgill's Avatar Libertus

Will the walls be destructable?
    War is an art and as such is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formula

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Sorry, but while these buildings convey bonuses, interact with characters and their traits, and might affect other buildings, they are not visible in the battlemap. That would require a 3D modeller who was almost exclusively doing this for us, and we just don't have someone who can work on these things now. Plus it would take a lot of time considering the fact that we have a number of new ones. If anyone wanted to join up to help, we'd love it, but for now we just have icons and constructed images for them for the campaignmap. We have a number of others like this too though, so it's not all bad news.
    Shame I've got so much stuff going on at the moment, otherwise I'd be more than happy to help you out with that. No sign of any breaks in my workload though!

Why do the builings have booth + & - pulic order in most of the it's +15 - 5 why not gjust have 10 ?
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

davepyne's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Captian Marcus Cornelius
    Why do the builings have booth + & - pulic order in most of the it's +15 - 5 why not gjust have 10 ?
    yeah, I'm confused too, doesn't "public order" do the same thing as "public order due to happiness"?

Could u give other examples of faction-specific building-progressions please? that would be interesting until the release of the open beta... :-)
    Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli. - OVID

www.borowitzreport.com

Those campaign-map models for fleets are something I haven't seen before, either. Very cool stuff, I see that Wonders have become "buildings" as well. Good move.

It's unfortunate that you don't have any 3D modellers working on this, though. I assume it's the same for unique buildings like the Wonders (Hanging Gardens come to mind)? It would be excellent to have such buildings represented on the battlefield.

Thanks for the update.

Looking very good, thank you for the update.

Haha! Thank you so much! I felt quite miserable the last months, lacking EB's previews, but now I'm back in the running! :laughing:
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast