Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most impotant reason for Bi/1.3.

Default Most impotant reason for Bi/1.3.

First off I figure I would just say this is not a rant about wanting EB on BI/1.3, insteadof 1., I'm looking forward to the 1.2 version.

However the single most important reason for changing to the expansion is the phlanax fix. Phalanx's will actually engage head-on, and this combined with the improved battleline means that phalanx armies are not the role-overs they are in 1.2.

I think this is important for EB as a lot of units are phalanx based.

Major König's Avatar Civitate

I disagree. It should be released on 1.2, although 1.3 would be nice. Not everyone has BI, and the majority of people I think that are going to download EB, will be 1.2 players.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles_47
    I disagree. It should be released on 1.2, although 1.3 would be nice. Not everyone has BI, and the majority of people I think that are going to download EB, will be 1.2 players.
    They will have a 1.2 release even if they were to release a BI version too. The reason you give is not a good one though, most people do have BI and most that dont, can get it easily. A lot of the people not buying BI are only doing so because EB isnt using it, it seems.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

You dont need Bi to have the 1.3 patch it is available to everyone...

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Well it would be jolly nice to have the phallanx's working real pucka, seen as there are indeed 5 factions at least in EB using them.

True, the phalanx in BI seems to be better, considering they can also run with them now instead of switchin between phal. and unphala. all the time.

I disagree. It should be released on 1.2.
    Read the top half of my post which I put in *specifically* for people like yourself

Caio Mario's Avatar Civis

I think EB should be released for BI.
    People who have BI cannot play with the original campaign map using the new features such as night battles....
    EB should use the new features introduced in the expansions to recreate the "original time " (sorry but I can't use a better sentence... my english is not good) which is better than the Invasion time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ano2
    First off I figure I would just say this is not a rant about wanting EB on BI/1.3, insteadof 1., I'm looking forward to the 1.2 version.

However the single most important reason for changing to the expansion is the phlanax fix. Phalanx's will actually engage head-on, and this combined with the improved battleline means that phalanx armies are not the role-overs they are in 1.2.

I think this is important for EB as a lot of units are phalanx based.
    Thanks for the input. Just so everyone's clear on this point (as khelvan said in the other thread on this topic) the Open Beta will be released for v1.2. After the OB is released the team will have a look at the possibilities of converting the mod to 1.3/BI.

QQEBA

As for the roll-over phalanxes... Well, I was under the impression that happened in reality anyway. A phalanxman's shield was designed to protect the person next to him moreso than himself (When in formation at least). So it's only natural to assume that when someone shifts a little to the side in order to be better protected by the shield of his comrade next to him (Especially in the face of approaching missle fire), the person next to the first guy that moved will move as well in order to compensate, and so on and so forth until the entire formation slowly begins to drift sideways.

Or so I believe. I could be wrong. Makes sense to me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by psychosium
    As for the roll-over phalanxes... Well, I was under the impression that happened in reality anyway. A phalanxman's shield was designed to protect the person next to him moreso than himself (When in formation at least). So it's only natural to assume that when someone shifts a little to the side in order to be better protected by the shield of his comrade next to him (Especially in the face of approaching missle fire), the person next to the first guy that moved will move as well in order to compensate, and so on and so forth until the entire formation slowly begins to drift sideways.

Or so I believe. I could be wrong. Makes sense to me anyway
    err thats nothing to do with it

First off thats classical hoplites your talking about not the Macedonian Phalanx.

Secondly the issue is that currently phalanx's try to constantly flank when engaging head on, causing mass casulties.

Indeed, you are referring to classical hoplites, not macedonian mighty phalangites

And this is still debatable. Remember, hoplite still have to fight, and hidding behind your comrade shield makes fighting with spear far more difficult. How would you thrust? Under your comrade shield? Over it? Both difficult task.

Probably hidding behind your comrade shield only took place during famous "othismos aspides" (another debatable case). Other thing is that macedonian phalanx sometimes actually fought similar!!
    Dico, te Pyrrhe, vincere posse Romanos

You, Pyrrhus, Romans shall conquer or You, Pyrrhus, shall conquer Romans (word-play)
    - Cassius Dio, Roman History IX.40.4

Major König's Avatar Civitate

The macedonian phalanxmen had smaller shields than did the greeks. Totally inadequate for protecting the comrade on your side. I have always known of greek phalanxes shifting to the right to keep themselves under the protection of their comrade's shields, but RTW had it wrong. They should be sort of circling, instead of taking the whole right wing out of the fight.

Kushan's Avatar Artifex

The first version of EB will be for v1.2. Then maybe during/after the open beta we will convert over to v1.3. I personally believe that it would be the best thing to do, but I dont know how much was changed between v1.2 and 1.3. And dont know how much of our scripting, etc would have to be redone, modified, etc.

As of know there are no "current" plans to move to BI, this hasnt even really been discussed, as everyone is working to get the open beta released. This is not to say we wont be converting, I am just saying that it hasnt really been discussed officially.

Kushan
    Under the patronage of Silver Guard

i say go ahead as planed, then after the dust setels look at what can be done, just like you have planed. this will not only let you get some thing out to the public faster, and then you will have us hanging on, keeping interested in what is being done whilest you port it over to BI/1.3. that is an iginous manuver and will keep the mod form dieing out in the eyes of the public. and for all of those that will will not play 1.2 relece, to hell with them, more band width for me to down load it on.

I doubt that. Considering most of the people who will download EB will be those who keep tabs of downloads for the game online, it's more than likely the vast majority of them will be 1.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke
    Well smoking is just for a special blend of people. People who are outgoing, friendly, who enjoy having a good time and take life one step at a time. Smokers are the best people. They are adventurous, loyal, good looking and the most popular people in your class. When you see people having fun, there is bound to be a cigarette around!
    My name is AUC, and I used to be a fat kiddy console gamer.

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

I guess I'll be the one to explain to mr. Achilles_47 the nature of these patches.

1.3 = Rome Total War patched with the fixes included with BI, without the actual BI campaign or gameplay.
    1.4 = Rome Total War expansion pack BI.

1.3 can be downloaded and patched by anyone who has regular Rome Total War.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Actually the most important reason to use BI is because you can change faction cultures. :p

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

In 1.3, too.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Foederatus

But there are serious bugs for 1.3, for example AI not throwing pila, and many others I can't remember, just take a look at a thread here in twc concerning that.

And EB was announced for RTW 1.2, so I think it should stick to that, at least until 1.0 is released.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast