Page 32 of 90 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to the ETW map

Default Re: Guide to the ETW map

According to a post by CraigTW CA's map modding tool is 3DS Max. Also they didn't try to stop mapping but the map they needed to use is one that's hard to mod.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...45#post9538645

It may be beneficial to ask CraigTW to explain the parts of mapping we don't understand.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    It may be beneficial to ask CraigTW to explain the parts of mapping we don't understand.
    Good luck with that.

What we need is any of these, in order of preference:

• proper modding tools
    • their conversion script from some sensible format (3ds max or whatever) and source files for the map (or if they won't give us sources for the real map, at least something simple we can use to create entirely new campaign)
    • proper documentation for all formats
    • if none of the above, we need someone to make a few small changes to the map (extra settlement, extra region, move border etc.), run build process on all of them, publish end result, and we can figure it out from there

I doubt we'll see much map modding without 1 or 2.
    3 or 4 would work only with a huge amount of community effort, and while it might have worked two years ago, these days community seems rather unmotivated due to persistent lack of CA's support.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Well pathfinding is baked on the map these days. Now, that would REALLY be hard on total convertion mods. Actually changing the place of a settlement would need different pathfinding.
    CA needs a better engine. Let's hope the next CA's game would use a "map-mod" friendlier way, of calculating paths instead of saving them on the map.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I don't think 1 is very likely because if CA uses 3DS Max they're not going to make a program so that modders without 3DS Max can create new maps.

2 could be possible but even if we had a conversion script mapping will be limited to those who new how to use 3DS Max. Though it would be a major boost for mapping.

3 would be very useful, if only to let people know what is required for mapping and how everything works.

4 technically we have that in the form of RTI campaigns which use different versions of the American theatre. Though the Warpath DLC could be used CA put the pathfinding in a strange format so you couldn't compare it to the other Americas theatres or use it in the vanilla ETW.

I also feel that mapping won't be as varied as it was in M2TW simple because it is now so difficult. Most likely any mapping mods will focus more on adding more towns/ports/resources to existing regions and occasionally settlements to regions that don't have settlements. If there's sufficient community support it may become possible to to add pathfinding nodes to unplayable regions so the player can walk on them but making completely new maps is very unlikely.

Artifex
    Patrician

> 2 could be possible but even if we had a conversion script mapping will be limited to those who new how to use 3DS Max. Though it would be a major boost for mapping.

There's a huge difference between 0 and 1 person in modding community being able to do something.

For example currently there seems to be exactly one person with working luac decompiler (me),
    and I can do small requests for decompiling from a lot of people.

Even if just a few people have 3DS Max, it would make a huge difference.

> 4 technically we have that in the form of RTI campaigns which use different versions of the American theatre. Though the Warpath DLC could be used CA put the pathfinding in a strange format so you couldn't compare it to the other Americas theatres or use it in the vanilla ETW.

Different campaign are far too different to figure out the format based on them. We need tiny modifications that change only a single small thing to figure things out.

> I also feel that mapping won't be as varied as it was in M2TW simple because it is now so difficult. Most likely any mapping mods will focus more on adding more towns/ports/resources to existing regions and occasionally settlements to regions that don't have settlements. If there's sufficient community support it may become possible to to add pathfinding nodes to unplayable regions so the player can walk on them but making completely new maps is very unlikely.

Even being able to add a few towns and regions would be huge relative to what we have now.

You know, it doesn't have to happen in a week. Don't dispair map gurus.

One step at a time and it would all be hailed with cheers.
    - walking on unplayable regions. That would make possible the use of Fortes map of Africa and S.America. Sure, no settlements there but it would be great.
    - Adding settlements to regions that don't have them + walking on unplayable. So, that would make possible to add settlements and resources in Saudi Arabia, Latin America, those islands in the trade theatres etc. Huge one.
    - Breaking up regions. Finally France and Spain would be more than 1 region as many, many people have been crying about. If there's a way, I'm sure people would pour there the hours/days/weeks needed to do that.

Any one of the above would be great. All of the above (in a year or even two) would make possible a really cool ETW map with Brazil, SubSaharan Africa, settlements in the trade theatres, Realistic France/Spain, etc. People would work hard to make those happen.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Interesting, i already thought that they are using 3ds max, atleast for the farmtile templates. Since i own a version i could give a hand if needed, though it won't be of much use as long as we don't understand the pathfinding.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    You know, it doesn't have to happen in a week. Don't dispair map gurus.

One step at a time and it would all be hailed with cheers.
    - walking on unplayable regions. That would make possible the use of Fortes map of Africa and S.America. Sure, no settlements there but it would be great.
    - Adding settlements to regions that don't have them + walking on unplayable. So, that would make possible to add settlements and resources in Saudi Arabia, Latin America, those islands in the trade theatres etc. Huge one.
    - Breaking up regions. Finally France and Spain would be more than 1 region as many, many people have been crying about. If there's a way, I'm sure people would pour there the hours/days/weeks needed to do that.

Any one of the above would be great. All of the above (in a year or even two) would make possible a really cool ETW map with Brazil, SubSaharan Africa, settlements in the trade theatres, Realistic France/Spain, etc. People would work hard to make those happen.
    Alhoon here is a more likely modding progression.

1. Figure out how to add towns/ports/resources to existing regions.
    2. Figure out how to add settlements to regions without settlements, such as wilderness regions.
    3. Figure out how to break up existing regions.
    4. Figure out how to add pathfinding nodes to unplayable regions so they can be walked on.

They're listed in this order because I predict that adding pathfinding nodes to make unplayable regions playable will be far more difficult than changing the borders of existing an region to turn it into two or more regions. My reasoning is that CA made the RTI, Americas theatre, and Warpath all with the same theatre but with different regions.
    Last edited by uanime5; May 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Yeap. I just noted how each of those steps would be celebrated, not the order.

According to a post by CraigTW CA's map modding tool is 3DS Max. Also they didn't try to stop mapping but the map they needed to use is one that's hard to mod.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...45#post9538645

I've known that the last two years, they wrote about it in the developer blogs before Empire was released

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    CA needs a better engine. Let's hope the next CA's game would use a "map-mod" friendlier way, of calculating paths instead of saving them on the map.
    By "better" you mean more mod-friendly? Not going to happen - if CA want to keep high-quality games on the market then this is the future. The days of modding games without developer support are winding down - advanced technology and simple build methods do not go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    For example currently there seems to be exactly one person with working luac decompiler (me),
    and I can do small requests for decompiling from a lot of people.
    But don't take that as a bad thing. Although I'm just about the only one able to use your decompiled stuff, I have put it to great use. And I'll be writing a proper tutorial on UI editing soon, so there may be more demand soon (I doubt it, but would you put a value on one mod that does things with your files that have never been done before?)
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    By "better" you mean more mod-friendly? Not going to happen - if CA want to keep high-quality games on the market then this is the future. The days of modding games without developer support are winding down - advanced technology and simple build methods do not go hand in hand.

Why can't advanced tech and simple build methods go hand in hand? Civ5 did it!

I was planning to compare the episodic_map pathfinding.esf files to each other to look for similarities in the hope of identifying individual regions when I noticed the 'episode_one' folder. In this folder I found a regions.esf that I thought was for RTI episode 1 but upon checking it I realised that it had additional regions such as Crete and Cyprus. Unfortunately there wasn't a starpos for this regions.esf so I was wondering if anyone had tried making a startpos for it.

As this regions.esf already has all the boundaries and areas calculated it could be used to help us understand how to break up regions.

Ordinarius

I was planning to compare the episodic_map pathfinding.esf files to each other to look for similarities in the hope of identifying individual regions when I noticed the 'episode_one' folder. In this folder I found a regions.esf that I thought was for RTI episode 1 but upon checking it I realised that it had additional regions such as Crete and Cyprus. Unfortunately there wasn't a starpos for this regions.esf so I was wondering if anyone had tried making a startpos for it.

As this regions.esf already has all the boundaries and areas calculated it could be used to help us understand how to break up regions.
    "Grandi menti all'unisono" (Italian idiom)
    "Great minds in unison"

I have had the same idea. I have collect all data about the first episode in an excel file (using esf editor). I thought it would have been very helpful, but it haven't been till now. I hope that comparison will help us, but there's a large difference in between the first and the other episodes. Values are already many in numbers in pathfinding episode 1, but these are numberless in the others. I'm afraid it will take too much time, but it seems the only way.

Have you tried using winmerge? It highlights the differences between two documents so you can easily see the difference between the ep1, ep2, and ep3 pathfinding.

Also I've finished comparing the episode one regions.esf to the normal one and here is a list of all the extra regions it contains and the ones it's missing.

Extra regions
    belize
    brandenburg
    british_guyana
    connecticut
    crete
    cyprus
    dalmatia
    delaware_and_new_jersey
    denmark_straight
    el_hasa
    hessen
    lahore
    louisiana
    massachusetts
    mecklenburg
    miskito_coast
    multan
    new_hampshire
    north_carolina
    nunavut
    oudh
    podolia
    puerto_rico
    schleswig_holstein
    south_carolina
    suriname
    swiss_confederation
    travancore
    turkmenistan
    tuscany
    wallachia
    westphalia

Missing regions
    atlantic_ocean_se
    atlantic_ocean_sw
    brazil_coast
    carolinas
    central_italy
    dutch_guyana
    east_indies
    great_lakes
    greenland_sea
    impassable
    lower_louisiana
    new_england
    punjab
    rhineland
    straits_of_mozambique
    west_pommerania
    wilderness_arabia
    wilderness_canada
    wilderness_great_plains
    wilderness_hudsonsbay
    wilderness_khiva
    wilderness_mexico
    wilderness_tejas

Obviously some regions are the same in both but have different names, while other have been combined or split such as Louisiana and Carolinas respectively. If I can make a startpos that uses this regions.esf I'll upload it.

Ordinarius

I have noticed, but I mean difference in values and difference in pathfinding. This is more important I suppose. In fact episode 1 pathfinding contains vertices only inside theatre boundaries. But maybe it will be more useful continuing comparison in both direction (pathfinding-regions).

Anyway your list of differences remember me another thing for my historical research.

I've noticed something interesting in the episode-one regions.esf , all regions are set to: Global position -1 (sea).
    Edit: virginia and delaware_and_new_jersey are set to 0, that is what? Plus aren't those the two regions of episode one campaign?

Edit2: I've converted the regions.esf of the episode_one to xml and there are two more folders being extracted that in the normal regions.esf: slots and area. Also for some reason I can't draw the map of the regions.xml of episode one.
    Last edited by ForteS; May 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Fortes View Post
    I've noticed something interesting in the episode-one regions.esf , all regions are set to: Global position -1 (sea).
    Edit: virginia and delaware_and_new_jersey are set to 0, that is what? Plus aren't those the two regions of episode one campaign?

Edit2: I've converted the regions.esf of the episode_one to xml and there are two more folders being extracted that in the normal regions.esf: slots and area. Also for some reason I can't draw the map of the regions.xml of episode one.
    not so interesting there's only one theatre (ID 0) in episode 1. Delaware and Virginia are part of this theatre. More interesting are folders slots and area.

The 'episodic_map' folder is RTI episode 1, 'episode_one' is a completely different map. Like RTI ep 1 it only has 3 settlements but the third settlement is in Delaware, rather than Pennsylvania. The format of this esf is also different to the other region.esf so I suspect it was an early version of the campaign map.

The slots and areas folders are due to an update by Taw to make it easier to mod specific parts of each region. This will happen in any region.esf file you convert.

Fortes -1 is used for the sea, impassible regions, and wilderness. So any region without a settlement is set to -1.

Anyone I'm going to try to make a startpos for the 'episodic_map' regions.esf using the starpos for 'episode_one'. Adding the extra regions won't be too difficult, the HLCIS entries will be more difficult as they need to correspond to the number of areas and regions (which will be different for a lot of regions), and I hope I don't need to do anything with the region boundaries (unsure how to check them).

UPDATE: the normal regions.esf has more region boundaries than the episode one version, so you can't easily copy one set of files to another campaign. Though this isn't a major problem it means the conversion will take longer.
    Last edited by uanime5; May 12, 2011 at 02:15 PM.

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

Nice to see someone is still working on understanding the maps. Thanks

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by taw View Post
    Good luck with that.

What we need is any of these, in order of preference:

• proper modding tools
    • their conversion script from some sensible format (3ds max or whatever) and source files for the map (or if they won't give us sources for the real map, at least something simple we can use to create entirely new campaign)
    • proper documentation for all formats
    • if none of the above, we need someone to make a few small changes to the map (extra settlement, extra region, move border etc.), run build process on all of them, publish end result, and we can figure it out from there

I doubt we'll see much map modding without 1 or 2.
    3 or 4 would work only with a huge amount of community effort, and while it might have worked two years ago, these days community seems rather unmotivated due to persistent lack of CA's support.
    Its more like the actual complicated procedure necessary in modding the map. Its so hard to learn that most people dont even try to learn due to the sheer difficulty. The text and bin files were so much easier to learn in Med2.