Page 17 of 175 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526274267117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback & Discussion] Napoleon Empire Realism

Default Re: Napoleon Empire Realism Mod v0.4.1

How many pellets are there in the vanilla caseshot JaM?
    I'd recommend sticking with the shorter range (up to 250) but using the dispersion value of 32 feet per 100 yards.

35 for 6lber, 50 for 8-9lber 60+ for 12lber..

JaM
    Is there any way that “Sir our general is under attack” and “Sir one of our units is running” messages can be disabled? as there’s no need for it and its more realistic without it as you have to watch the situation yourself. Napoleons running really smoothly for me almost totally maxed out but when that box and messages come up I get serious lag. I know there’s an option to disable the video box but even when I do I still get the Sir messages and lag.
    For me it’s the biggest pain in the whole game.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Dartanianx View Post
    JaM
    Is there any way that “Sir our general is under attack” and “Sir one of our units is running” messages can be disabled? as there’s no need for it and its more realistic without it as you have to watch the situation yourself. Napoleons running really smoothly for me almost totally maxed out but when that box and messages come up I get serious lag. I know there’s an option to disable the video box but even when I do I still get the Sir messages and lag.
    i can understand you wanting it disabled for performance reasons but I dont see how it's not realistic. do you think in real battles a general wouldn't be informed when one of his units was breaking or if he was under attack?

maybe there is some switch that can be added to user script same way as it is for camera shake in... but right now I'm not aware of it..

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Please don't make super sized units, it's the reason I don't use that other guys mod. It's unwieldy on the maps and gets obnoxious. Then you'll end up changing lethality to accommodate the new sizes and if we lower the sizes the game will be unbalanced.

Thanks for the long range kill rate fix.
    Last edited by Shabby_Ronin; March 10, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Davius's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    i can understand you wanting it disabled for performance reasons but I dont see how it's not realistic. do you think in real battles a general wouldn't be informed when one of his units was breaking or if he was under attack?
    /Agree. I like the feel of an officer reporting these things, although it rarely happens for me

Quote Originally Posted by Dartanianx View Post
    JaM
    As far as i know when that box comes up the lag is intentional, it halves animations speeds or something, even on my i7 machine, i dont think its meant to run smoothly, thing is i cant see an x to close the box so ye, it is annoying, but i dont want it removed from the game

Shabby_Ronin: I dont plan changing unit sizes right now. Change like that would require also moded starting positions for all factions which is a lot of work actually... putting multiplier is much more effective - everybody can have unit number he wants... another thing against huge number of men is code limitation for unit frontage - if you have too many men, you will be not able to put them into three ranks. Four ranks were not a standard in Napoleon Era (but was used sometimes if there wasn't enough space on battlefield like for example in Waterloo)

Hi .. i change my opinion ... the unit speed is ok !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Shabby_Ronin: I dont plan changing unit sizes right now. Change like that would require also moded starting positions for all factions which is a lot of work actually... putting multiplier is much more effective - everybody can have unit number he wants... another thing against huge number of men is code limitation for unit frontage - if you have too many men, you will be not able to put them into three ranks. Four ranks were not a standard in Napoleon Era (but was used sometimes if there wasn't enough space on battlefield like for example in Waterloo)
    K, saw it on the main post and got nervous.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

littleleo: i didn't lowered it that much from original values, mostly just rounded values down... i used some values from Luntik's mod too, so maybe in combination with my values they generated slow movement for routed enemy or something... will need to check it. what i was trying to accomplish was to force AI stop running across the battlefield...

Shabby_Ronin: its planned for full release in distant future, but then unit numbers will be scalled down to represent real historicaly correct units, cant tell if it will be regiment or more likely battalion... For example standard French battalion had 8 fusilier companies (120men), and one grenadier company (80-90 men)
    later one company of Voultigeurs (120 men ) was added. Last reorganization came with 140 men per company, 4 (or was it 6?) Fusilier companies, one Grenadier and one Voultigeur company... so together 800-1100 men per battalion... so with scale 1:2 it will make 400-550 men per battalion, with 1:3 it will make 270-370 men per battalion... but of course to accommodate this formation will be slightly tighter so frontage and unit size will stay the same as now...
    but as i said, its still just in my head, and who knows when it will be added... not without starting position modification, and even then most probably there will be a lite version available too...
    Last edited by JaM; March 10, 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Well, that's fine if you want historicity over gameplay...but that's way too many units and it will just be a mess, unless you just like watching spectacle. The maps are not large enough and it ends up looking like piles of ants around a piece of candy.

I hope when you do this there will be a normal version.

Well, that's fine if you want historicity over gameplay...but that's way too many units and it will just be a mess, unless you just like watching spectacle.

i would say i'm trying to make a balance between those two ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    Well, that's fine if you want historicity over gameplay...but that's way too many units and it will just be a mess, unless you just like watching spectacle. The maps are not large enough and it ends up looking like piles of ants around a piece of candy.

I use a multiplier of 1.25 that gives 200 line infantry and it works , looks fine and they can all get into buildings but I wouldn’t want the units any bigger than that. I think its the perfect unit size for the game and for use with this mod.

as we can't replay whole battles (with more than 50 regiments and batteries per side some times) perhaps one could think of "the decisive attack" within a battle, and then try to recreate divisional engagments - just a thought.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post

have you ever tried mods with larger units? its far from ants around a piece of candy.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Napoleon Empire Realism Mod v0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne View Post
    Thanks for Version 0.4 and rep to you sir!

The movement speed of units on the battle map seems fine to me; battles are much more manageable and give a truer feeling of battalions (at least in line) moving in mass formations. Fatigue levels also appear realistic, with heavy cavalry becoming tired after one charge and needing to rest before being effective again.

Ships of the Line are now brutes and turning speeds on large vessels feels appropriate now. Thanks for this!

Musket lethality at close range feels appropriate; use of skirmishers is definitely a winning factor here to soften up or expose enemy units to debilitating fire while the line battalions move to close range and deliver their musket fire. I've found myself delighted with closing in on the enemy, releasing a volley and charging them en masse once they've been softened up.

Overall, the only real difference in the BAI that I have observed is that generals no longer make suicide charges ... this is a good thing. I need more observation time on this, admittedly.

Sadly with tracers removed, I no longer see cannon balls skipping over the terrain. Is there a way I can get them back (even if I need to have the musket ball tracers back)?

Just an observation, but the campaign bonus for the French feels appropriate for the early Grande Armee years. By 1809, the quality of the Grande Armee had already suffered with the addition of many non-French (and therefore differently trained) battalions (and of course again by 1813 because of so many freshly conscripted "Marie Louise's"). I know this is asking much, but is there a way to script this bonus to be removed or reduced by 1809? Certainly its not pressing, but it would be "realistic".
    Bold: A certain kind of reflection will be possible.

[The NER modding is in its starting shoes. We'll see with what the NER mod development can come up in future. Currently a developer group is forming up].
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    have you ever tried mods with larger units? its far from ants around a piece of candy.
    Yes, and it's always a mess. The map and the structures within are not large enough to accommodate it unless like I said, you just want to see a spectacle.

sorry for suc ha nooob?
    Where exactly do we move the files for this mod too?