Thread: Battle camera zoom request

Default Battle camera zoom request

Is it possible to edit the battle camera configuration so that I'm able to zoom out further than in the vanilla config?

When I have like 10 units selected and want to place them manually I have to "drive" the camera from one side to the other because the line-up just doesn't fit the screen. That's really annoying. I mean it's a strategy game. In Supreme Commander the zoom was perfect but that would probably be too much.
    Last edited by Michael Westen; March 02, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

Default Re: Battle camera zoom request

go to your preferences.script and change default camera type to 2 (debug camera)

default_camera_type 2; # default_battle_camera <card32>, default battle camera: 0-totalwar 1-rts 2-debug #

Just remember that whenever you make any changes to your settings via the game menus, the camera will reset to 1 or 0. Just change it back to 2 and restart the game if that happens.

you can make the textfile a read-only file so that the game can't change it...
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

If you change this your first line to this -

write_preferences_at_exit false; # write_preferences_at_exit <bool>, Write preferences at exit #

it should stay the same provided you dont change settings in game?

I'll use the debug camera from now on. Thank you, guys.

I use the debug camera all the time but the only problem with it is that when you click on the minimap your view ends up way below the surface and you have to spend ages scrolling up to ground level. Anyone know how to fix this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Westen View Post
    Is it possible to edit the battle camera configuration so that I'm able to zoom out further than in the vanilla config?

When I have like 10 units selected and want to place them manually I have to "drive" the camera from one side to the other because the line-up just doesn't fit the screen. That's really annoying. I mean it's a strategy game. In Supreme Commander the zoom was perfect but that would probably be too much.
    I think the best way to do that is to enable the developer cam. To do that you have to go to C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\Scripts\Prefrences. (That's in XP, I can't remember how it goes for vista). Once you're at the prefrences, find this line:

default_camera_type 0; # default_battle_camera <card32>, default battle camera: 0-totalwar 1-rts 2-debug #

Change the 0 to a 2. Now you should be able to zoom as far in or out as you like (which is cool because you can see naval battles from the decks). Be warned though, if you alter your camera settings, this will revert and you'll have to do the whole thing again.

Thanks for the effort but did you even bother to read one of the other answers?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Westen View Post
    Thanks for the effort but did you even bother to read one of the other answers?
    LOL

Wher is the preferences.script located exactly?

Help! I have changed 0 to 2 and havnt opened any options but I can't get it to work. I checked the script it still says type 2 but it acts like normal cam

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Help! I have changed 0 to 2 and havnt opened any options but I can't get it to work. I checked the script it still says type 2 but it acts like normal cam
    You have to do 1 of 2 things to ensure it works:

- set the Preferences file to "read only"
    or
    - after setting the default camera to 2, make sure that you change absolutely nothing in your settings menu in-game: any change at all, that isn't sound related, will reset the 2 to a 0.

edit: are you sure you changed NTW, and not ETW?

How do I make it read only? And yes it's NTW I don't have ETW =]

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    How do I make it read only? And yes it's NTW I don't have ETW =]
    right click on the properties file, check "read only"...however, I just noticed that your camera hasn't reverted back to 0, therefore it should be working...hmmm Is this single player or MP?

I tested by watching a replay

Got it! Changed it for the wrong useritshould work now =] Ty for the help

Never mind =[ I was too optimistic