Thread: Solomon Brothers Act

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Default Solomon Brothers Act

The Solomon Brothers Act of WWII, at least I think that is what it is called. Where you are protected under the act from serving in military combat if you are the last male of the family. The only person able to carry on the family name. As I am protected by this, are there any way the government can get around it if there is a draft? I know that it is my choice to go to combat or not, they cannot send me without my permission. I dont know how this works in a draft situation. Does anyone know how this works in a draft?

*- note that I am not conserned myself, I just want to know how this works in a draft.

Also, discuss the act aswell.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

If Congress passes a draft law, that law could at their discretion overturn the Solomon Brothers Act or any other act of Congress. And they could also require you to serve in combat, conscientious objection aside.

-Simetrical
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

An interesting act indeed.. Do you know if any other countries that have anything like it? (I doubt we have similar laws in Finland we have such a small population.)
    Last edited by Turek The Terrible; July 07, 2005 at 06:26 AM. Reason: mistake
    "Vino Veritas"
    -Unknown

Hi!

In U.S. law there is a draft exemption for those who have already lost a parent or sibling in military service, but nothing if you happen to be an only child or are the last to carry the family name.

You can find more information on this "urban legend" here: http://www.sss.gov/FSsurviv.htm

As far as the "Solomon Brothers Act" is concerned - you may be referring to the mythical "Sullivan Brothers Act." Briefly, during WWII five brothers of the Sullivan family (Albert, Francis, George, Joseph, and Madison) served on USS JUNEAU. The ship was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine and exploded, with the loss of all five brothers. Congress discussed an act to prevent this sort of family calamity, but never actually passed a law about it.

You can find more information on the Sullivan Brothers here: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq72-1.htm

Pablo
    Last edited by byepopejoy; July 07, 2005 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Clarify Solomon and Sullivan

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    If Congress passes a draft law, that law could at their discretion overturn the Solomon Brothers Act or any other act of Congress. And they could also require you to serve in combat, conscientious objection aside.

-Simetrical
    This is true because draft registration makes no allowance for declaration of CO status. Its an either/or thing: Register or Don't. Only in the event of a draft will the congress decide (based on research by the military and other agencies, including FCNL ) who gets drafted and how. There is some precedent for not overturning previous acts, including Solomons, from what I understand, but there is no guarantee. As we've seen, when the US wants to flex some muscle, many things get swept aside, like: International law, agreements, treaties, and borders. Human rights, conventions, diplomacy, and rights to privacy. Terms of Service for National Guard, Army, and other groups (triple terms not unusual these days), benefits, counseling, religious tolerance (see Air Force Academy), etc..

So I'd say: Don't count on it.

If interested in why to register or not, and penalties therein, see: http://www.afsc.org/youthmil/selecti...ce-choices.htm

Currently, if a resident alien in the USA, you can not become a citizen (ever!) if you fail to register for the draft before age 26. If a US citizen, you are prohibited from federal training and many jobs (including being a postman or ranger!) if you do not register by age 26. You are prohibited in the above manners for not registering 'properly' in the 60 day window around your 18th birthday, but can 'get over' this obstacle by registering later, even though that is also illegal.

Failure to register is punishible by 250,000 dollar fine and imprisonment, though only 20 men have been so jailed, all in a bunch in the 80's. Current policy is to not prosecute non-registers, but its still the law.

Hmm, why would I know about this stuff?

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag