Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1547 Camapign (Empires)

Default Re: 1547 Camapign (Empires)

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Gold View Post
    Very good mod, congratulations on having finally mastered a mod covering the whole world!

However, I am very perplexed- I am playing the Empires 1547 campaign patched to 1.5.2, and I think there is something seriously wrong with my unit roster (at least for European factions). On my custom battle unit selection, after a number of regular units I come across some very strange ones: female musketeers, female pikeman, some sort of angel soldier, some sort of demon skull head cavalry, etc. A bunch of fantasy units essentially. Are these here deliberately? If not, how on earth did they get here? Also, maybe I didn't look through them too closely, but my 1547 units seem very outdated and muddled up (very limited gunpowder troops, mostly archers, etc). And also I cannot find the Polish Winged Husaria anywhere ! (I presume they are in the mod as there is a picture of them on the screenshot section).

Anyway, unless I am somehow mistaken my unit roster is jumbled up. I will try searching through and reinstalling the whole thing later, but I just thought I might as well report it all the same.

P.S.> Are the Winged Husaria actually in this mod or campaign? If so, I would be very greatful to know of their location in the mod...
    The Female soldiers, demons, and angels are from a Chinese mod I added to my 4 Seasons mod. Someone requested that I add these units to the custom battles so I did (though only in the 1547 campaign).

Given that the arquebus was invented in about 1400, became common in the 1500 hundreds (around the same time the musket was invented in Europe) many armies during 1547 did still use archers and crossbowmen. Armies composed primarily of gunpowder troops were not common until after the 1700 hundreds, when fire-arms were able to defeat cavalry making pikemen irrelevant.

The Polish Winged Hussar is the upgraded version of the Polish Hussar. If you upgrade the Polish Hussar to level 3 armour (silver shield) or level 4 armour (gold shield) it will use the Winged model.

The units are jumbled up because I set most of them as mercenaries, so that all factions could use them.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

delete
    Last edited by Champagne Gold; November 22, 2011 at 01:56 AM.

i love this mod , lots of factions , lots of diversity , lots of units you can recruit , you can conquer the whole freaking world , i can't think of something bad about this mod except europe gets conquered by spain a little to quick )

This mod looks great, i have been looking for a long time for a mod close to the 16th century units. Since i'm Maltese i would really, really love to have some units units of the Knights Hospitallers of st.john during 1565 era, They looked the same as conquistadors with conquistador type armor, but they had white crosses with red background on their breast & back-plates & on the round buckler shields. It would be so great if in the future u would make at least 4 units of them
    1 unit sword & buckler,
    1 unit halbered,
    1 unit arquebusier or musket
    & 1 unit lance heavy cavalry all 4 units with the same conquistador armor but with red chest-plates with white crosses. Even if it was just 2 units, 1 unit of mounted & 1 unit of dismounted conquistadors but with the red & white crosses, i would be very very greatful

† Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat

You could always make some european regions with fewer cities, larger areas they cover, and larger populations to represent entire countries more like the new Empires Total War Game does.

I do love this campaign. I have several games going. I love playing as Ming with so many diverse and modern units, i have about the japanese empire of WWII with australia and Saudia arabia, and isreal and qatar added in.

as the songhi, i have half the iberia, most of subsaharan africa, egypt, Mecca and Isreal.
    Last edited by Cincinatus; January 21, 2010 at 03:29 PM.

Some songhi units have no texture btw, like sudanese gunners, and one of the calvary units, the mamluk units also have no texture for songhi.

TiagoJRToledo's Avatar Miles

I don't know if this has already been answered, but here it goes: I'm playing as Portugal, and my generals in south america, africa and india have all gained the "Rebel!" trait. Is this supposed to be this way? 'Cause it's rather annoying...

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Yeah this is supposed to happen. If your faction leader has low authority, chivalry, or dread some general may rebel against him. They'll also rebel if he hasn't been coronated. The best way to stop this is to move your faction leader back to the capital for several turns.

But my faction leader is in my capital from the beginning of the campaign...

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

Below is an extract from the guide to playing this mod thread.

When the Faction Leader does something the Nobility (generals) doesn't like he can the 'Offends the Nobility' or 'Inspires Civil War' traits. When the Faction Leader has either of these traits all the generals decide whether to support of oppose the current Faction Leader. Those that choose to oppose the Faction Leader will get the Disobedient trait, causing them to lose all their movement points and making their cities highly likely to turn rebel.

To remove the 'Offends the Nobility' or 'Inspires Civil War' traits you need to move your Faction Leader to the Faction's Original Capital (if they haven't been corronated) and then to your Faction's Current Capital (if different). Leave the Faction Leader in the Capital for a few turns and they'll lose these traits, putting the Nobility back under you control. High authority, chivalry, and dread will reduce the chance of getting these traits and make the nobility less likely to rebel.
    Does your current faction leader have the 'Offends the Nobility' or 'Inspires Civil War' traits and low authority? If he does this is why your generals are rebelling.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=322444

No, he doesn't. That's wwhat's strange...

Can somebody give me every file that had to do with 1547 campaing and that works for him?
    Couse I want to play that damn campaing!
    Duchy of Croatia in my Total War?! Oh I can't wait for factions unlocker mod!

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Look here

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: 1547 Campaign (Empires)

Hi Uanime5, I wanted to start off by thanking you very much for this fantastic mod. I'm playing the 1547 era and I'm having a blast as good as, if not more fun than when I first loaded up MIITW and played my first vanilla campaign. Thanks!

I'm particularly a fan of the musket and pike era and while your mod only begins to touch that in it's second half I'm having great fun, not only with the armies and units but also the map.

Sorry this post is huge but please bear with me and read it all. I wanted to raise a few points with you so that hopefully you can catch the bugs and other oddities.

I installed v1.5.1 and followed all your various instructions to install all the different eras patches and such. Then I patched to v1.6. I can confirm that if you download everything and follow your instructions correctly, the mod installs and runs fine. Those players who say it does not are doing something incorrect during the installation.

I have only played one game so far, as England and I'm still only at about 1560 however I have been noting a series of small things (and really, they are small) that I want to list so that you can get around to fixing them when you have the time and if you agree with what I'm going to highlight.

First; Units.

1) Some units have no flags or experience banners. The one I see most is the English Harquebusier cavalry.

2) Some units' flags do not flicker white when they are routing. I only see these at times when I'm busy in the midst of battle so I often forget to pause the game and take notes but playing England I have taken control of Africa mostly fighting first the Portuguese and then the Ottomans and I have seen several Arabic infantry units not display flashing flag icons when they rout, Armenian Archers and Arab Cavalry to name just two. I'll try and get you some more examples.

3) Some missile units play both the musket and bow sound files when they shoot. Examples I have seen are the English Harquebusiers and their Arquebusiers and Musketeers.

4) The African elephant archer units which can be recruited in west Africa (Songhai Dynasty cities) use only the musket sound file (despite being archer units) and the archer models are using the musket shooting graphic instead of an archer shooting motion. These elephant units seem to cause a big morale hit on enemy 'tribal' infantry and Ottoman infantry as though the enemy is taking musket fire and not bow fire however I am using Darth's ultimate battle AI mod with your mod so that may be a result of that.

5) I have quite a slow old computer and play the game at lowest graphic settings other than for unit textures and vegetation which are set at medium. With the unit model detail set at 'low' elephants have no tails. I assume this is a CA 3D model and not one built by you or another modder?

6) I've noted several units that do not display correctly. I bribed an Arabian Rebel army to fight for me and the bombard crews do not display on the battle map (the bombards and the unit flag is present - see image, just invisible gunners) and in the unit icons the default 'peasant' icon is used. This applies also to Mameluke cavalry and Mameluke archers icons but I have not used these on the battlefield.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Wrong_Bombard_Icon.jpg

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Bombard_Arab_Uniform.jpg

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Mameluke_Icon.jpg

Likewise a small issue with some Wolf Clan warriors:

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/WolfClanIcon.jpg

This screenshot also shows up another oddity - the rebels of N America have European captains, both as icons on the campaign map and in battles. Can this be fixed please?

7) Moorish Urban Militia spearmen (can be recruited for example at Marrakesh and Fas) likewise are invisible on the battlefield. Just their flag shows but unlike the bombard and Mamelukes their icon displays correctly in the campaign map screens and the battle map HUD.

Second; Battles.

6) In one battle in North America against the native Indians I noted some very strange ground textures. It looks like you had used a very 'fussy' almost 'pixelly' grass texture and against it the red-brown natives were extremely hard to see! Great camo but not so good for the player. I can't recall where on the map this was but it was probably around Abenaki or Quebec City as it was early in my North American colonial conquest

7) I noted that the basic town wooden palisade defences with the wooden arrow towers shoot out arrows all the time, and not just when enemy units are nearby. In a siege I tend to take a sector of a settlement and then break out into the centre of the settlement from an established base. When taking your wooden palisade walled towns my men were taking heavy casualties when standing way back in reserve just inside the walls. This feature is not present in the stone walled settlements which behave correctly. Also in the basic wooden walled town the towers did not have flags on them indicating the enemy was close by and putting men in. These two features might be related? Also this fault might be a problem with the Darth Ultimate Battle AI mod. I do not know.

8) I've noted a few inconsistencies in North America. Was this maybe the last part you worked on and it got rushed? It would be good to see more variation in native Indian units, not just spears and bows and while the faction is called the Seven Cherokee Clans I have only encountered Deer and Wolf clan units despite taking seven settlements.

9) The North American settlements themselves are a bit of a mixture. I haven't seen any native Indian towns or villages in battles, they have all been European village models (Quebec, York Factory, Victoria, and Dakota) which looks a bit strange, while Cherokee, Abenaki and Tualatin on the west coast used Meso-American map icons and Abenaki actually had a Meso-American stepped pyramid town model during the siege. Surely this town is much too far north and east and should be a north American Indian style settlement?

Third; The Campaign Map

10) The way you have set out the sea tiles has caused a good few weird traffic movements by fleets. I have seen dozens of single ship fleets, empty of agents and armies being built by various factions and sent off all over the place, one of the worst issues being that small coastal-only ships can get to America by going around near Iceland and Greenland. This results in lots of traffic sailing up the west and east coasts of Ireland. Can I please suggest that you put in a row of 'deep water' spaces between Iceland and Greenland so that small ships can't get to America. I would suggest that only Carracks and larger be allowed to cross the deep water line, though maybe Holks as well. This would a) stop the weird mass of traffic pouring up the Irish Sea and b) make the AI use the correct western route to America instead of going north via Iceland and Greenland.

Yeah, okay, I know America was discovered by the Vikings via Greenland in nothing more than longships but if you let small coastal ships get to America this strangeness results. Can you try a test with a Carrack-only water barrier and see how the AI responds to that please?

11) There is something odd happening in the Atlantic to the west of the Gibraltar Strait. Even though when I select a Holk or Gun Holk the map lights up green to some distance out to sea, when I click past this point the ship will take a path far to the landward side and so lengthen its journey. I'm not sure if the outer zone has different properties and a Holk can't sail there but surely the squares should not highlight green if this is the case?

12) The lack of land bridges across the Gibraltar Strait and at Istanbul means these are irrelevant land routes. This affects Istanbul especially and means the traditional land route to Asia via the Balkans and Turkey is not there and instead the key location on the map is just north of the Crimea where the AI sends all its agents. It looks weird and I think could be easily corrected.

13) I think perhaps the Alps could be more of a barrier and at this map scale the mountain passes could be ignored so that the only way to northern Italy is via Genoa and Venice. I think this would force the AI to send agents to the north Italian plain in a more historical pattern.

14) I know that there was a land route to the Orient used by traders and explorers but I have to confess that when you see Chinese armies swarming over Persia and Japanese and Korean merchants all over western Europe, who have walked there it is somewhat odd. The land route was not historically used by mass armies I think - sure Alexander the Great reached India and the Mongols reached eastern Europe but these were exceptions. If European powers wanted to project force to the east it had to be done by ship around Africa and I think the game would take on a much more interesting, challenging and historical flavour if there was an absolute barrier on land between east and west, probably just west of India and east of Safavid Persia. A radical idea I know and yes its not strictly correct but I wonder that a map built this way may not give the game a more believable atmosphere.

15) Given your limit on provinces can I suggest that you delete Australia from the map completely? It wasn't discovered until after this period anyway and the presence of a few rebel tribal villages there is pretty much unimportant. I see you've used Meso-American models for the Aborigines which doesn't sit well. If you really want to include Australia I'd suggest North American Indian spearmen would look closer to Aboriginal tribes.

16) Following on from that I would prefer to see the settlements in the far north of Canada's shield deleted or made into one huge province. Europe also. Can you have land in the game that is not a province, BTW? Apart from a few explorers and trappers (i.e. spies and merchants) the whole sub-Arctic region isn't really relevant to this kind of military game, I think. It would be better too I think if there was some way of freezing the extreme northern sea... perhaps use flat land with all-year round winter textures and give it impassable properties? That would maybe free up a few more precious provinces. I don't think Tromso was anything more than a few fishermen's huts at this time, Murmansk also. Really I think such places are not relevant and you could save a few more provinces here too.

17) There are quite a few trade resources that are inaccessible. So far I have found:

Gold and Coal NW of Mexico City
    Timber W of Abenaki
    Timber W of Cherokee
    Gold near the coast N of Grand Namaqualand, West Africa
    Chocolate S of Veracruz

I know there are more. I'll let you know when I find them.

18) Another poster has already pointed out that the maps coasts are too steep in many places and there are some extreme mountains, plus odd spikes and troughs. Your lakes that require huge open cast style pits to dive down to sea level could use some work.

19) Could some areas of the map be made impassable such as Central Africa and S America (jungles) and N America and Siberia (wilderness forests). Your map does not use any of the big 'tree block' graphics for impenetrable forests. I think it could use a few.

20) Some of the place names in N America are modern, or their European equivalents: Quebec City, York Factory; Victoria. Can native Indian names replace these please?

This game is so good and so much fun that despite me never having done any modding work on any TW game to date, I'd be more than ready to help you do some work on the map if you need help. I can help you look at things that cover all of my points 11 through 20 in a way that I hope would allow the game to play better.

Fourth; Gameplay

21) By making the entire world playable you've taken the game beyond what I think CA ever thought was reasonable and sticking with the game's AI scripting some odd stuff happens - well, odder than usual anyway. As England I got three repeat missions to blockade the rebel port of Murmansk just for a single turn, and a one-off mission to blockade some harbour on the SW coast of Greenland! This is pretty weird. I know the map now has very few rebel provinces at the start of the game so the AI sends you on missions to attack them but in the case of your map it does not seen right. I hope this can be worked on. Perhaps these rebel port blockading missions can just be disabled?

22) Your new king coronation scripting might be a bit buggy as another poster also mentioned. Playing England, my King, Henry VIII died just after the game started and Prince Edward was then 14. He starts the game in London, England's capital city yet I got a diplomatic note that he must go there for his coronation. The 'Offends the Nobility' event. He was already in his capital. I did nothing and I am certain that he remained aged 14 for 2 or 3 years, before he began to age. London's happiness rating plunged too but this might be correct after Henry VIII's death.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/KingToCapital.jpg

23) The Pope called a crusade on Rome. See image. I have never seen this happen before but I later found out that Rome had been taken by the Spanish and since that put Spain at war with the Papal States, old Popey-Baby decided to use his Crusade card to get everyone else to kick the Spanish out. If this is your scripting, please take a closer look at it as it seems pretty silly. If its the game's built-in scripting and can't be fixed, I'll just live with it but Spain even attacking Rome seems pretty dumb. If this can be looked at, it would be appreciated.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/CrusadeAgainstRome.jpg

24) Oh, yeah, and after that the Pope emigrated. He's been hiding in a wood south of Abenaki for about five years now... weird guy... I wouldn't mind so much but I think he's secretly converting my colonists to a tree-hugging branch of Catholicism which is a bit annoying.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/PapalHolidayVisit.jpg

25) I assume you have set the factions up so that Catholics tend more to go to war against Protestants more than with other Catholics? In my game Spain and France kicked the HRE's butt big time early on, with the Duke of Prussia helping the Emperor. What I did notice was that it took until the Ottomans had reached the Baltic and Genoa before the Christians stopped killing each other and turned on the Moslems. In my game Europe is about 80% Ottoman right now (I sent lots of spies out all over the place to highlight the whole of Europe to enjoy watching the AI do its thing to itself - was fun) and I suppose that Catholic/Protestant warring is realistic at this period but I wonder if you may have tweaked the settings a little too far? Even so, great job at introducing Protestantism to the game, as an extra religion it works great.

26) Have you dialled up the frequency of priests going heretical? It seems like you have as I notice it happening a good bit and if so then I agree with that, there was a lot of what Rome called 'heresy' around at this time and a whole bunch of different thinking within the non-Catholic Christian church. I did wonder if Spain and Portugal might be able to recruit Inquisitors? The Inquisition was in full swing about this time and a bit later but if such agents are hard-wired to only be usable by the Papal States then its not a big deal, I just thought it would be a nice fun extra for those two factions.

27) I know MIITW is buggy and weird but I still see the AI churning out legions of diplomats and merchants sending out streams of six, eight and more of these agent types from one city in one turn. Can anything be done about this? I also think your mod seems to produce fewer priests recruited by the AI... though that may be just me not paying attention. The AI definitely builds way too many single ship fleets and whizzes them off empty all over the map in a sort of exploring frenzy. In contrast it rarely if ever ships armies between continents that I have seen, just shipping troops about across water within Europe (and then not often enough).

28) Finally (at last! Sorry!) I wonder if it is possible to have a new class of agent, called Explorers. Maybe some zones of Africa, America and such could be impassable to all units except these agents. They could be a combination of Spy and Merchant and if you could have rebel settlements with zero garrisons I wonder if you could have the game make Explorers able to 'take' such settlements. This is going away from the concept of MIITW a good deal but its just a random idea I had.

Sorry I went on so long but this mod inspires me and if you want any help with any game play issues or the map I'd be delighted to help so please drop me a PM.

As I said at the top my favourite period is the pike and musket era and while I've played the 'For King or Country' mod it would be good to see a Thirty Years war mod or a Seventeenth Century mod, using the troop types from FKoC but set Europe-wide. I'd be happy to help with that as well.
    Last edited by Saddletank; March 14, 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: 1547 Campaign (Empires)

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletank View Post
    First; Units.

1) Some units have no flags or experience banners. The one I see most is the English Harquebusier cavalry.
    I gave them a type of flag that didn't exist, so it didn't show up. I've corrected this.

2) Some units' flags do not flicker white when they are routing. I only see these at times when I'm busy in the midst of battle so I often forget to pause the game and take notes but playing England I have taken control of Africa mostly fighting first the Portuguese and then the Ottomans and I have seen several Arabic infantry units not display flashing flag icons when they rout, Armenian Archers and Arab Cavalry to name just two. I'll try and get you some more examples.
    I'm not sure why this is happening. I'm not using a trans.texture version of this file so this may be the cause.

3) Some missile units play both the musket and bow sound files when they shoot. Examples I have seen are the English Harquebusiers and their Arquebusiers and Musketeers.
    Unsure why this is happening.

4) The African elephant archer units which can be recruited in west Africa (Songhai Dynasty cities) use only the musket sound file (despite being archer units) and the archer models are using the musket shooting graphic instead of an archer shooting motion. These elephant units seem to cause a big morale hit on enemy 'tribal' infantry and Ottoman infantry as though the enemy is taking musket fire and not bow fire however I am using Darth's ultimate battle AI mod with your mod so that may be a result of that.
    I couldn't add a new animation so I had to use the musket animation. Elephants also have the ability to frighten soldiers so this could be why their moral is so low.

5) I have quite a slow old computer and play the game at lowest graphic settings other than for unit textures and vegetation which are set at medium. With the unit model detail set at 'low' elephants have no tails. I assume this is a CA 3D model and not one built by you or another modder?
    It's the CA version so I guess that on low setting parts of the animals and units are not visible.

6) I've noted several units that do not display correctly. I bribed an Arabian Rebel army to fight for me and the bombard crews do not display on the battle map (the bombards and the unit flag is present - see image, just invisible gunners) and in the unit icons the default 'peasant' icon is used. This applies also to Mameluke cavalry and Mameluke archers icons but I have not used these on the battlefield.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Wrong_Bombard_Icon.jpg

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Bombard_Arab_Uniform.jpg

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/Mameluke_Icon.jpg

Likewise a small issue with some Wolf Clan warriors:

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/WolfClanIcon.jpg

This screenshot also shows up another oddity - the rebels of N America have European captains, both as icons on the campaign map and in battles. Can this be fixed please?

7) Moorish Urban Militia spearmen (can be recruited for example at Marrakesh and Fas) likewise are invisible on the battlefield. Just their flag shows but unlike the bombard and Mamelukes their icon displays correctly in the campaign map screens and the battle map HUD.
    A unit has to be assigned a mesh, texture, and unit card for each faction it belongs to. If a faction that doesn't have these assigned to it uses this unit they will be invisible. I didn't realise you could bribe these units, so I didn't assign them to some factions. I'll try to either give these units textures or make it so some factions can't control these units.

The captains are European because the slave faction uses this model. I can't change the rebel model based on where the slave faction is.

Second; Battles.

6) In one battle in North America against the native Indians I noted some very strange ground textures. It looks like you had used a very 'fussy' almost 'pixelly' grass texture and against it the red-brown natives were extremely hard to see! Great camo but not so good for the player. I can't recall where on the map this was but it was probably around Abenaki or Quebec City as it was early in my North American colonial conquest
    I'll have to check this out.

7) I noted that the basic town wooden palisade defences with the wooden arrow towers shoot out arrows all the time, and not just when enemy units are nearby. In a siege I tend to take a sector of a settlement and then break out into the centre of the settlement from an established base. When taking your wooden palisade walled towns my men were taking heavy casualties when standing way back in reserve just inside the walls. This feature is not present in the stone walled settlements which behave correctly. Also in the basic wooden walled town the towers did not have flags on them indicating the enemy was close by and putting men in. These two features might be related? Also this fault might be a problem with the Darth Ultimate Battle AI mod. I do not know.
    I have changed the angle the wooden towers can shoot from so this may explain how they were able to shoot inside the settlement. I believe that towers continue to shoot at you unless you capture them.

8) I've noted a few inconsistencies in North America. Was this maybe the last part you worked on and it got rushed? It would be good to see more variation in native Indian units, not just spears and bows and while the faction is called the Seven Cherokee Clans I have only encountered Deer and Wolf clan units despite taking seven settlements.
    The 7 clans are as follows:

Anigatogewi or Wild Potato Clan - Were known to be farmers and gatherers of the wild potato plants in swamps (hence the name gatogewi = "swamp"), along streams, and swamps to make flour or bread for food, and were so named after them. They are keepers and protectors of the earth. The Wild Potato Clan have also been known as the Bear Clan, Raccoon Clan and even Blind Savannah in different regions. The Clan color for the Anigatogewi is green and their wood is Birch.
    Anigilo(la)hi or Long Hair Clan - This Clan, also known as the Twister Clan, Hanging Down Clan, Offended Clan, or Wind Clan. Gilahi is short for an old in fact very old ancient Gitlvgvnahita, the warrior women's society, meaning "something that grows from the back of the neck."[1] Those belonging to this Clan wore their hair in elaborate hairdos, walked in a proud and vain manner twisting their shoulders. They are teachers and keepers of tradition. Peace chiefs usually came from this clan at one time in Cherokee history and wore a white feather robe. The Clan color for the Anigilohi is yellow and their wood is Beech.
    Anikawi or Deer Clan — Those belonging to this Clan were the keepers of the deer, deer hunters and trackers, tanners and seamers, as well as keepers of the deer medicines. They were known to be fast runners and foot messengers. The Clan Color for the Anikawi is Brown and their wood is Oak.
    Anitsiskwa or Anijiqua or Bird Clan — Those belonging to this Clan were the keepers of the birds, sacred feathers and bird medicines. They were messengers and were very skilled in using blowguns and snares for bird hunting. Their color is purple, and their wood is Maple.
    Anisahoni or Blue Holly Clan — Those belonging to this clan were keepers of all children's medicines and caretakers of medicinal herb gardens. They became known for a medicine from a bluish colored plant called a blue holly, and were so named after it. This Clan has also been known as the Panther or Wild Cat Clan, in some regions. Their color is blue and their wood is Ash.
    Aniwodi or Red Paint Clan — Those belonging to this Clan made red paint. The tribe's medicine men, Dida:hnvwi:sgi (healers) and Adawehi (wise men), traditionally came from this clan at one time in Cherokee history. The Clan Color for the Aniwodi is white and their wood is Locust.
    Aniwaya or Wolf Clan — The Wolf Clan is the largest clan today providing most of the war chiefs, and warriors. True Ani'-Wah' Ya are protectors of the people. The wolf clan are keepers and trackers of the wolf and the only clan who could kill a wolf through special ceremonies and wolf medicines. The Clan color of the Aniwaya is red and their wood is Hickory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Clans

As only the Wolf Clan provided warriors, and the Deer clan provided hunters these are the only clans that would fight on the battlefield. As there isn't an animation for blowdarts I can't add the Bird clan.

9) The North American settlements themselves are a bit of a mixture. I haven't seen any native Indian towns or villages in battles, they have all been European village models (Quebec, York Factory, Victoria, and Dakota) which looks a bit strange, while Cherokee, Abenaki and Tualatin on the west coast used Meso-American map icons and Abenaki actually had a Meso-American stepped pyramid town model during the siege. Surely this town is much too far north and east and should be a north American Indian style settlement?
    The only village models I have are the mesoamerican, european, and middle eastern ones. As I felt the Aztec ones would look out of place I used the european ones. I can't use the Native American ones from Kingdoms because the buildings are assigned by culture and North and South America both use the same culture.

Third; The Campaign Map

10) The way you have set out the sea tiles has caused a good few weird traffic movements by fleets. I have seen dozens of single ship fleets, empty of agents and armies being built by various factions and sent off all over the place, one of the worst issues being that small coastal-only ships can get to America by going around near Iceland and Greenland. This results in lots of traffic sailing up the west and east coasts of Ireland. Can I please suggest that you put in a row of 'deep water' spaces between Iceland and Greenland so that small ships can't get to America. I would suggest that only Carracks and larger be allowed to cross the deep water line, though maybe Holks as well. This would a) stop the weird mass of traffic pouring up the Irish Sea and b) make the AI use the correct western route to America instead of going north via Iceland and Greenland.

Yeah, okay, I know America was discovered by the Vikings via Greenland in nothing more than longships but if you let small coastal ships get to America this strangeness results. Can you try a test with a Carrack-only water barrier and see how the AI responds to that please?
    Okay I'll try this and see how the AI copes.

11) There is something odd happening in the Atlantic to the west of the Gibraltar Strait. Even though when I select a Holk or Gun Holk the map lights up green to some distance out to sea, when I click past this point the ship will take a path far to the landward side and so lengthen its journey. I'm not sure if the outer zone has different properties and a Holk can't sail there but surely the squares should not highlight green if this is the case?
    I'm not sure why but ships tend to stick close to land when sailing. I don't know if it's possible to change this.

12) The lack of land bridges across the Gibraltar Strait and at Istanbul means these are irrelevant land routes. This affects Istanbul especially and means the traditional land route to Asia via the Balkans and Turkey is not there and instead the key location on the map is just north of the Crimea where the AI sends all its agents. It looks weird and I think could be easily corrected.
    I don't like land bridges because moving an army across the sea was a major challenge and shouldn't be something the AI can do easily. I'm not sure why the AI is sending its agents there.

13) I think perhaps the Alps could be more of a barrier and at this map scale the mountain passes could be ignored so that the only way to northern Italy is via Genoa and Venice. I think this would force the AI to send agents to the north Italian plain in a more historical pattern.
    I'll try this and see if it works.

14) I know that there was a land route to the Orient used by traders and explorers but I have to confess that when you see Chinese armies swarming over Persia and Japanese and Korean merchants all over western Europe, who have walked there it is somewhat odd. The land route was not historically used by mass armies I think - sure Alexander the Great reached India and the Mongols reached eastern Europe but these were exceptions. If European powers wanted to project force to the east it had to be done by ship around Africa and I think the game would take on a much more interesting, challenging and historical flavour if there was an absolute barrier on land between east and west, probably just west of India and east of Safavid Persia. A radical idea I know and yes its not strictly correct but I wonder that a map built this way may not give the game a more believable atmosphere.
    There's not much I can do about this other than reduce the movement of armies and agents. The AI is very bad at naval invasion and there's no way I can create a barrier that will only affect certain factions.

15) Given your limit on provinces can I suggest that you delete Australia from the map completely? It wasn't discovered until after this period anyway and the presence of a few rebel tribal villages there is pretty much unimportant. I see you've used Meso-American models for the Aborigines which doesn't sit well. If you really want to include Australia I'd suggest North American Indian spearmen would look closer to Aboriginal tribes.
    I felt that if I didn't include Australia I'd get a lot of people telling me I'd forgotten it so I decided to add it. I'll change the units to the ones you suggested.

16) Following on from that I would prefer to see the settlements in the far north of Canada's shield deleted or made into one huge province. Europe also. Can you have land in the game that is not a province, BTW? Apart from a few explorers and trappers (i.e. spies and merchants) the whole sub-Arctic region isn't really relevant to this kind of military game, I think. It would be better too I think if there was some way of freezing the extreme northern sea... perhaps use flat land with all-year round winter textures and give it impassable properties? That would maybe free up a few more precious provinces. I don't think Tromso was anything more than a few fishermen's huts at this time, Murmansk also. Really I think such places are not relevant and you could save a few more provinces here too.
    All land has to be part of a province (except the sea) and it a province is too large it can cause the mod to crash. If I upload a map could you edit it to show which provinces you would combine.

17) There are quite a few trade resources that are inaccessible. So far I have found:

Gold and Coal NW of Mexico City
    Timber W of Abenaki
    Timber W of Cherokee
    Gold near the coast N of Grand Namaqualand, West Africa
    Chocolate S of Veracruz

I know there are more. I'll let you know when I find them.
    Sorry about this. I'll move them. Even if it's inaccessible the settlement still benefits from the resources.

18) Another poster has already pointed out that the maps coasts are too steep in many places and there are some extreme mountains, plus odd spikes and troughs. Your lakes that require huge open cast style pits to dive down to sea level could use some work.
    This is due to the map_heights.tga, trying to lower the heights is difficult, especially around water because it is automatically give a low level.

19) Could some areas of the map be made impassable such as Central Africa and S America (jungles) and N America and Siberia (wilderness forests). Your map does not use any of the big 'tree block' graphics for impenetrable forests. I think it could use a few.
    For some reason impassible forests cause my mod to crash. I'm not sure why this occurs and until I can figure it out I can't use them.

20) Some of the place names in N America are modern, or their European equivalents: Quebec City, York Factory; Victoria. Can native Indian names replace these please?
    I will it I can find out which tribes lived there. I used the modern version because I couldn't find any other names.

This game is so good and so much fun that despite me never having done any modding work on any TW game to date, I'd be more than ready to help you do some work on the map if you need help. I can help you look at things that cover all of my points 11 through 20 in a way that I hope would allow the game to play better.
    That would be helpful.

Fourth; Gameplay

21) By making the entire world playable you've taken the game beyond what I think CA ever thought was reasonable and sticking with the game's AI scripting some odd stuff happens - well, odder than usual anyway. As England I got three repeat missions to blockade the rebel port of Murmansk just for a single turn, and a one-off mission to blockade some harbour on the SW coast of Greenland! This is pretty weird. I know the map now has very few rebel provinces at the start of the game so the AI sends you on missions to attack them but in the case of your map it does not seen right. I hope this can be worked on. Perhaps these rebel port blockading missions can just be disabled?
    I can try editing the descr_missions but I may need to remove these missions as I'm not sure how moddable they are.

22) Your new king coronation scripting might be a bit buggy as another poster also mentioned. Playing England, my King, Henry VIII died just after the game started and Prince Edward was then 14. He starts the game in London, England's capital city yet I got a diplomatic note that he must go there for his coronation. The 'Offends the Nobility' event. He was already in his capital. I did nothing and I am certain that he remained aged 14 for 2 or 3 years, before he began to age. London's happiness rating plunged too but this might be correct after Henry VIII's death.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/KingToCapital.jpg
    There is a chance to offend the nobles if your faction is very large, though high dread, chivalry, or authority can reverse this.

23) The Pope called a crusade on Rome. See image. I have never seen this happen before but I later found out that Rome had been taken by the Spanish and since that put Spain at war with the Papal States, old Popey-Baby decided to use his Crusade card to get everyone else to kick the Spanish out. If this is your scripting, please take a closer look at it as it seems pretty silly. If its the game's built-in scripting and can't be fixed, I'll just live with it but Spain even attacking Rome seems pretty dumb. If this can be looked at, it would be appreciated.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/CrusadeAgainstRome.jpg
    It's not scripted. Rome is the only region that a crusade can be declared upon in case the Ottomans take it. Trying to stop one faction attacking the Papal States or attacking another faction is difficult.

24) Oh, yeah, and after that the Pope emigrated. He's been hiding in a wood south of Abenaki for about five years now... weird guy... I wouldn't mind so much but I think he's secretly converting my colonists to a tree-hugging branch of Catholicism which is a bit annoying.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/PapalHolidayVisit.jpg
    I don't know why the AI does these things.

25) I assume you have set the factions up so that Catholics tend more to go to war against Protestants more than with other Catholics? In my game Spain and France kicked the HRE's butt big time early on, with the Duke of Prussia helping the Emperor. What I did notice was that it took until the Ottomans had reached the Baltic and Genoa before the Christians stopped killing each other and turned on the Moslems. In my game Europe is about 80% Ottoman right now (I sent lots of spies out all over the place to highlight the whole of Europe to enjoy watching the AI do its thing to itself - was fun) and I suppose that Catholic/Protestant warring is realistic at this period but I wonder if you may have tweaked the settings a little too far? Even so, great job at introducing Protestantism to the game, as an extra religion it works great.
    Factions with the same religion tend to like each other more than factions of a different religion. I suspect that the power and religion of the Ottomans convinced the Christians to work together. Also Catholics can be excommunicated if they attack each other so they're more likely to attack a non-catholic faction.

26) Have you dialled up the frequency of priests going heretical? It seems like you have as I notice it happening a good bit and if so then I agree with that, there was a lot of what Rome called 'heresy' around at this time and a whole bunch of different thinking within the non-Catholic Christian church. I did wonder if Spain and Portugal might be able to recruit Inquisitors? The Inquisition was in full swing about this time and a bit later but if such agents are hard-wired to only be usable by the Papal States then its not a big deal, I just thought it would be a nice fun extra for those two factions.
    Not sure about priests going heretical, it may be because there are so many more religions that they turn heretic. It's not possible to recruit inquisitors, though they randomly spawn for the Papal States.

27) I know MIITW is buggy and weird but I still see the AI churning out legions of diplomats and merchants sending out streams of six, eight and more of these agent types from one city in one turn. Can anything be done about this? I also think your mod seems to produce fewer priests recruited by the AI... though that may be just me not paying attention. The AI definitely builds way too many single ship fleets and whizzes them off empty all over the map in a sort of exploring frenzy. In contrast it rarely if ever ships armies between continents that I have seen, just shipping troops about across water within Europe (and then not often enough).
    I don't know why the AI is sending so many empty ships to the Americas or recruiting so many agents. I think the problem may be that the AI is programmed to recruit the maximum number of agents it can get. I've tried limiting this to one per settlement but if the AI has 10 settlements they can have 10 diplomats and merchants.

28) Finally (at last! Sorry!) I wonder if it is possible to have a new class of agent, called Explorers. Maybe some zones of Africa, America and such could be impassable to all units except these agents. They could be a combination of Spy and Merchant and if you could have rebel settlements with zero garrisons I wonder if you could have the game make Explorers able to 'take' such settlements. This is going away from the concept of MIITW a good deal but its just a random idea I had.
    It's not possible to add new agents (I've tried) so I can't do this.

Sorry I went on so long but this mod inspires me and if you want any help with any game play issues or the map I'd be delighted to help so please drop me a PM.

As I said at the top my favourite period is the pike and musket era and while I've played the 'For King or Country' mod it would be good to see a Thirty Years war mod or a Seventeenth Century mod, using the troop types from FKoC but set Europe-wide. I'd be happy to help with that as well.
    I'd appreciate your help and I'll send a PM as soon as I can. Though I believe that someone is trying to make a 30 years war mod at the moment. A 17th century mod may be difficult as I'm unsure what soldiers they'd use.

Hi guys
    I've got problem. In mod i haven't new units. I have only few units and their names are from Kingdoms.
    Sry for bad english
    Thanks for the help

Hi. Sorry to bother you guys again, but I hope that you can help me. For some time i noticed this, but now it's really annoying: my name cards are always showing now! I don't now how this happened! Please, if someone knows how to reverse this, please help.

Citizen

Here, use the attached .cfg file and it should fix that.

Just extract it to your Medieval 2 directory (C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)

TY!!!

Citizen

No problem!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast