Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Proper Militia Mod v1.3 - Now With Minutemen And Revamped Colors

Default Re: Proper Militia Mod v1.0 - more realistic model and new textures

I've spent alot of time playing and avoiding to build militia into my armies since day 1. I felt the presence of what looked like a buncha hillbillies with muskets mushed in with my line infantry looked silly. But this....this is what militia should look like hey. You did a great job man, deff deserve some rep up in huuur.
    "Pain is no evil, Unless it Conquers Us"

I have two suggestions:
    1. If you could make the unit cards match your new militia units that would be good, but it's not a big issue with me right now since I'm enjoying them so much.
    2. If there's anyway to use your new militia to replace the current Firelock Armed Citizens that would really make my day, I never really liked those guys and I think it would even be more historical if they looked like your new militia anyways.

Thank you so much for this mod, it really adds to the game, I hope you keep modding wonderful things like this.

-Vince

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Thanks for re-coloring them too.

You could have easily just given them the same colors as the Line Infantry and let other modders to the texturing, but I have to say that your color schemes look really nice. Good, drab colors, accented by faction colors here and there.

Superb!

Thanks guys!

And yeah, I also used to recruit full line infantry every time just to avoid seeing those bonnets. Having them like this in effect adds more diversity to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by vince0018 View Post
    I have two suggestions:
    1. If you could make the unit cards match your new militia units that would be good, but it's not a big issue with me right now since I'm enjoying them so much.
    Absolutely. The next update will have them on the unit cards (never modded that, but I guess should be pretty simple) and skins for provincial cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by vince0018 View Post
    2. If there's anyway to use your new militia to replace the current Firelock Armed Citizens that would really make my day, I never really liked those guys and I think it would even be more historical if they looked like your new militia anyways.
    What bugs you about them? If you mean they would probably rather be wearing longer coats, I see what you mean. But I'd be a little hesitant about giving them the same model as the militia - at the moment they have a very rag-tag look about them which I think is fitting. They are supposed to be guys who literally just had a musket shoved at them and someone says "go out and defend your city". The militia are somewhat trained and therefore more organized, and mostly also uniformed.
    Last edited by Spanky; May 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

My graphic is set to medium and low due to my computer's performance, but for some reason, your units stand out with very fine details! Now the militia is the most beautiful unit in the battlefield! REP++

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I think Pronvicial cavalry should look more wealthier than the foot militia because the description says that they were wealthier. Perhaps they should be wearing brimmed hats like Company infantry and cavalry?

Great work! Is it possible to have several varying coat colors within each unit? Like three different shades of gray, brown or blue....depending on what nations' militia it is?

ALso, did this change the look of the US Minutemen?

Excellent job as usual and just in time for a new Denmark campaign.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

+rep

Taran01's Avatar Miles

Very nice!

I really like your toned down, earth tone color scheme's. Some times less is more, they look great.
    Thanks for doing it.

+ Rep

Wait, what are all the factions that you editted militia for?

klesh's Avatar Senator

Beautiful. Thanks for this, it was really needed!
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

Hmmm for some reason, when i enable this mod in the Mod Manager and start the game my militia units are still CA's standard. What am i doing wrong here? as for other mods i have running, i got 1. A Proper Empire 2. The Drummer Corp mod and unit specific march music mod's enabled. I don't see how this can conflict...but if it is somehow somthing to do with APE then thats a shame, i refuse to take the mod off.

And as for Klesh...glad to see a fellow Massachusetts lad on the boards! Huzzah!
    Last edited by Bad0pel; May 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
    "Pain is no evil, Unless it Conquers Us"

Flags and now this? Epic and nice work by you!

33orion77's Avatar Tiro

that's a great idea! good work!
    Check out:
    ''Ancien Régime'' a ETW Re-texture Project ( France, Poland-lithuania, etc...)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245857
    Regalia of Nations ( Flag, sounds, uniforms, effects mod):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189

Quote Originally Posted by Bad0pel View Post
    Hmmm for some reason, when i enable this mod in the Mod Manager and start the game my militia units are still CA's standard. What am i doing wrong here? as for other mods i have running, i got 1. A Proper Empire 2. The Drummer Corp mod and unit specific march music mod's enabled. I don't see how this can conflict...but if it is somehow somthing to do with APE then thats a shame, i refuse to take the mod off.
    That's weird because I doubt that any of those would be replacing the militia models - retextures would be a possibility but then your militia would be having the hats but with the textures messed up. That's all there is in there.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    Wait, what are all the factions that you editted militia for?
    Basically every faction in the game now has the new militia model and a texture to go with it. There is a generic texture in there where the faction colors are on the cuffs, lapels, turnbacks and collar, and then there are special textures for the above mentioned majors (plus Denmark).

Quote Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
    Great work! Is it possible to have several varying coat colors within each unit? Like three different shades of gray, brown or blue....depending on what nations' militia it is?

ALso, did this change the look of the US Minutemen?
    Nope, the Minutemen still have their old model, which is defined separately from "militia infantry". I recall that they also feature bonnets - here, I must say I am just not well enough acquainted with their history. In North America, basically a bonnet would not be as much out of place as in Continental Europe since there were many Scottish immigrants living there. But I might adapt that texture too if they should rather be wearing the regular hats.

Different shades: A good question and the answer is that the texture file for these models basically allows for two different versions of the coat for the torso, and two different versions of the sleeves. I've never seen the two coats vary in shade or even color on any of the other textures; I have been assuming, but I haven't tested it yet, that they can't be. Because if the sleeves are assigned randomly to the torso, you end up with brown sleeves on blue coats. I will test it at some point but I am pretty sure this is the case, unfortunately. That's why the more civilian-style militia textures in the pack, including the generic one, vary mainly in the breeches, stockings and waistcoat.

The line infantry textures have coats varying in shade. This is when the faction colors are used for those coats; my guess is that the engine has a filter built in that assigns varying shades of the color defined in the factions table. But for the militia, of course the point is not to have the coats in the faction color.

I think Pronvicial cavalry should look more wealthier than the foot militia because the description says that they were wealthier. Perhaps they should be wearing brimmed hats like Company infantry and cavalry?
    You're right, they were and the result would have been that they could afford uniforms that looked like those of the regular cavalry - this seems to be the case also e.g. with the French and British militias in North America.

The brimmed hat is a very uncommon style for soldiers and should probably be confined to the company men; the sources I have seen for provincials have them wear the same style of tricorn hat as the regular horsemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    You're right, they were and the result would have been that they could afford uniforms that looked like those of the regular cavalry - this seems to be the case also e.g. with the French and British militias in North America.

The brimmed hat is a very uncommon style for soldiers and should probably be confined to the company men; the sources I have seen for provincials have them wear the same style of tricorn hat as the regular horsemen.
    Ah ok, the brimmed hat just seemed more idea for militia cavalry because they don't want their face sunburned in battle or whatever.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Ah ok, the brimmed hat just seemed more idea for militia cavalry because they don't want their face sunburned in battle or whatever.
    That sounds exactly like 1700 British nobility who think they are doing good...