Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best ways to kill Trolls (Instructions)

Default Re: Trolls /// the best ways to kill them /// Instructions

TROLLS are heavy infantry unit, at least the games says so.

and olog hais etc climb ladders etc etc

for me the best vs them was gondor infantry or cav. charging (never could back-stab them, bcs they get between my infantry >_>), even better than fountain guards, what i did on my campaign was just forget about trolls, let they deal with 2-3 groups of infantry and attack mordor orcs with cav, they will root as kids.

altho i never faced a full stack of trolls u_U, at end-game i auto-resolved with 3stacks vs 1

also... shield walls vs trolls? :S, they throw your units to air and break every formation, why shield wall? :/
    Last edited by Black_ice_Spain; May 19, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

Ján, it might be a good idea to say what version (I suppose 1.1) and if you use RC or not.
    I found spearwalls not that effective. In my fun custom battles, trolls just charge through my Vault Wardens, into a bunch of Iron Guard in shield wall mode.
    Shield walls are very effective against trolls. The better your units are packed, the more soldiers can hit a troll, the faster they die.

Ballista's aren't that great, since you won't hit much. But using them in a counter-siege makes sense. If they'll really stand still, you can wreak some havoc on them

I just use some heavy Dwarven infantry on trolls. They'll down them soon enough. For Gondor, those Lossernach (?) Axemen work really nice. Cheap and AP. Arrows aren't that good, since like 60% of the formation of trolls is air. Archers will barely hit a thing. I prefer using my arrows/bolts on the Orcs that come with the trolls.
    Gameplay > tiny little things

Quote Originally Posted by Black_ice_Spain View Post
    also... shield walls vs trolls? :S, they throw your units to air and break every formation, why shield wall? :/
    They didnt do that with shieldwalled dwarves, though. Dunno why, try it out. Shieldwall is designed to stop charges, so maybe thats what it does here

Same thing with Spearwalls. Once you break their charge, beating them is fairly easy, so thats my main goal in battles and so far it worked out quite well
    Last edited by Fulgrim88; May 19, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by lennartje View Post
    For Gondor, those Lossernach (?) Axemen work really nice. Cheap and AP.

True, but they can only be produced in one city, which is far from Mordor. Unless you are defending Minas Tirith or otherwise losing badly, you're going to spend a fortune on upkeep just getting them to the front...

Pelagir Marines are better, as they can be sent by ship to Osgiliath and then into Mordor via the Morgul Vale quicker.
    Broken Crescent Tool Maker

Can anyone point to another unit in all the rosters of ME (aside from Mamukil - which by their absence in so many campaigns apparently speaks for itself in terms of cost being the balance on that unit) that requires so many units to kill it? Fountainguards get killed by archers just as well as any other infantry unit, swan knights get shattered on anyone's pikes/spears, the finest archers in the world can be easily run down and routed by decent cavalry.

Trolls?

"Use siege weapons combined with spear walls and throw in some cavalry."

"It's best to use 4 cavalry units to kill 1 unit of trolls."

And they're not an unbalanced unit how?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinniken View Post
    True, but they can only be produced in one city, which is far from Mordor. Unless you are defending Minas Tirith or otherwise losing badly, you're going to spend a fortune on upkeep just getting them to the front...

Pelagir Marines are better, as they can be sent by ship to Osgiliath and then into Mordor via the Morgul Vale quicker.
    they is only 1turn of difference between osgiliath and pelargir

grinning, mumakils, xD. AI doesnt attack with them. (use em as archers)

But i guess that from player side, using mumakils and zerging enemy catapults would rape, since they are inmortal to any other thing which isnt catapults :S

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

grinning, mumakils, xD. AI doesnt attack with them. (use em as archers)

But i guess that from player side, using mumakils and zerging enemy catapults would rape, since they are inmortal to any other thing which isnt catapults :S
    I think you could use elvish archers and ballistas as well (to kill Mumakil).

Going where?
    Broken Crescent Tool Maker

hospik m's Avatar Miles

Also the trolls that the OotMM can field are infantery, since my stakes didn't affect them at all..

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Ján, it might be a good idea to say what version (I suppose 1.1) and if you use RC or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jản on the first post of this threat in the introduction View Post
    but instead of using a submod to make them 50% weaker or other
    units (cavalry) way stronger to kill them, i would find it very usefull,
    to post ways to kill them effectivly without cheating and modding
    and while using a clean TATW 1.1 with VH/VH gameplay.

Whoops, Ján
    But isn't RC something from the devs? I know Mith was working on something... I think I got lost. Is there any 1.1 official rebalance? I thought RC was
    Gameplay > tiny little things

In a conter siege you cant use balistas becouse they dont pass trough the gate or catapults. Try kill trolls with silvan elves... its very hard , they dont have cavalary, and arows dont hurt them. the thing i did was in a conter siege with the silvan elves was use my infantary as bait so the tower balistas kill the trolls , even so i have some casualties. normaly is hard becouse trolls above all units dont stay put, they charge often ,as a spearsword of an army, so its hard to hit them with catapults or balistas. i believe cavalary from behind is the best way. im using darth mod and they walk trough my lines like butter it takes a lot of men to kill them as well cavalry from behind. If you have catapults or balistas the better, but only if they stay put...

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

When one troll dies that's usually a signal that they soon all will. Anyone who's fought them already probably already knows this; just spelling it out for those who don't.

NOTE: I said "usually".

Trolls are a pain in the ass, but they´re very killable vs. the AI. Just get a AP infantry unit. So the guy above is right, the dwarfs kill them easily. But in 1.1. i like the AI, because it uses the trolls to bind your guys and then flank. But try AP units, heavily armoured when possible. They´ll win, but then the Uruks are in your side!^^ ;(

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Whoops, Ján
    But isn't RC something from the devs? I know Mith was
    working on something... I think I got lost.
    first mith is no direct dev. and RC is not official (yet), because
    than it would have been part of the 1.1 patch. but is wasn't.

t. Is there any 1.1
    official rebalance? I thought RC was
    1.1 in it was a partly rebalance of some stuff already.
    i'm perfectly fine with the balance from 1.1!
    Last edited by jản; May 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM.

Firebat11's Avatar Semisalis

Can Trolls climb towers and ladders?? I haven't tried this
    Co-Creator of Battle for the Baltic Mod for SS 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebat11 View Post
    Can Trolls climb towers and ladders?? I haven't tried this
    they can

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vault-Wanden.

when I play online with a dude that uses mordor I've tried everything but the battle always end like this, my army fighting his 1-2 olog hai units and his 3-4 catapult trolls, even when using ballistas against them they don't take down more than 2-3 trolls before they reach my army and well my army starts routing, against the AI on vh I have no major problem but against a human it gets a lot more nastier ahaha.
    Last edited by tlatoani; May 19, 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlatoani View Post
    when I play online with a dude that uses mordor I've tried everything but the battle always end like this, my army fighting his 1-2 olog hai units and his 3-4 catapult trolls, even when using ballistas against them they don't take down more than 2-3 trolls before they reach my army and well my army starts routing, against the AI on vh I have no major problem but against a human it gets a lot more nastier ahaha.
    use an army not likely to route to compete against it. Very high morale guys and whatnot. I believe you can field more catapults to compete with his on a point to point basis, then field some heavy infantry, preferably with shield wall and AP.