Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to play TATW with Steam

Default Re: How to play TATW with Steam

When I pick my americas folder the TATW Loading screen comes up and then it just goes straight back down. Help?

I had the exact same problem as Spear there, until doing the following:

using the command prompt, heading to the Steam folder for Medieval 2 and typing in
    start kingdoms.exe @mods/americas/TATW.cfg
    To get the Steam window for M2TW pop up, from where I picked the Americas campaign.

This lets me go into the game menu, from where starting a new Third Age campaign will instantly crash to desktop, telling me there was a "unspecified error". Running custom battles works like a charm however.

using the command prompt, heading to the Steam folder for Medieval 2 and typing in
    start kingdoms.exe @mods/americas/TATW.cfg
    To get the Steam window for M2TW pop up, from where I picked the Americas campaign.
    I did not understand what you mean by "command prompt" sorry.

I have the same problem, can you show me by some screenshot how to do that please ? It will be very kind

Quote Originally Posted by Hark View Post
    I did not understand what you mean by "command prompt" sorry.

I have the same problem, can you show me by some screenshot how to do that please ? It will be very kind

If your desktop obeys the same settings as mine, the easiest way should be like this :

As in, click on start menu and type cmd onto the little area just above it. Then you get to the DOS command prompt from whereon you shoud propably manage on your own. ^^

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There is a tool by Squid that works with the launcher and also with the "Steam" installation. Might be worth a sticky?

Alarico23's Avatar Laetus

After some tries I have to say that Leoel's method (modify the registry) is perfect!!
    It worked for all mods I tried to install. Now I have 6 great mods installed and working
    properly on my Steam-purchased Med2+Kingdoms copy, and multiplayer is ok.

Just want to say thanks mate, that was of great help!!
    Last edited by Alarico23; August 28, 2010 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMercy88 View Post
    Try...

1. In the m2tw folder you should see 3 exes. "m2.exe", "kingdoms.exe" and "launcher.exe"
    2. Create a folder called "backup" and place the "launcher.exe" in that
    3. Rename the "kingdoms.exe" to "launcher.exe"
    4. Now go to the mod that you installed(I'll use SS in this case) and find the ".bat" file(icon should be a gear thingy) and open that.
    5. Copy this bit(the last bit will be different to TATW but should be similiar)
    6. @mods\Stainless_Steel_6\Stainless_Steel_Kingdoms.cfg
    7. Now go to your "Steam Games" list and right click kingdoms, select "properties" and then "set launch options"
    8. In the box that appears paste the bit you copied(in SS case it will be @mods\Stainless_Steel_6\Stainless_Steel_Kingdoms.cfg)
    9. Now save that and go back to your games list, click on kingdoms then launch, it should bypass the launcher and take you straight to the mod.

To play vanilla kingdoms again take away the launch line and rename "launcher.exe" back to "kingdoms.exe" and put the "launcher.exe" back in the main folder.

+rep to norsca for original fix.

Kind Regards
    Will
    None of this works for me, and I get fatal graphics error before the game can even start. This is Vista 64 bit with steam (duh). Here is what I have now...
    For third age,
    steam launch option for kingdoms is: @mods\Third_Age\TATW.cfg
    Third Age.bit:
    cd ..\..
    start launcher.exe @mods\Third_Age\TATW.cfg
    kingdoms.exe renamed to launcher.exe

also, I can't see the registry either, is it undo able if I make a mistake creating a new registry?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMAN1156 View Post
    None of this works for me, and I get fatal graphics error before the game can even start. This is Vista 64 bit with steam (duh). Here is what I have now...
    For third age,
    steam launch option for kingdoms is: @mods\Third_Age\TATW.cfg
    Third Age.bit:
    cd ..\..
    start launcher.exe @mods\Third_Age\TATW.cfg
    kingdoms.exe renamed to launcher.exe

also, I can't see the registry either, is it undo able if I make a mistake creating a new registry?

At the risk of repeating myself: There is a tool by Squid that works with the launcher and also with the "Steam" installation.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM.

I tried the change folder method mentioned in the main thread but It didn't work. All I get is a rotating ring in front of the americas campaign main loading screen and then the blank error text box. I'm rather hesitant to mod the reg as I have no clue what the hell I'm doing in that department so any help would be appreciated. If need be hit me up on steam as dcmort93

EDIT: I may have done the edit folder method wrong, let me try it again the right way
    Last edited by dcmort93; October 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM.

RS2 BETA Tester
    Check out my Hard Rock/Metal Blog Slaying The Faithless
    Like Mafia? Good sign up for Pirate Ninja Robot Zombie Mafia IN SPACE

Blog Entries

See previous post. The tool is safe. If you have questions about the tool, please post them in the thread there - Squid will surely attend to those questions.

I wrote a tool found here

Quote Originally Posted by SteamKnight View Post
    I made a tool which can do this for you. If anyone is interested please check here for basic information and to let me know if you wish to try it.
    It didn't really work for me. it just loaded the original Medieval II game.

k i finally got it to work.. but my battle hub is messd up only acan see a few unit on it the rest is like white box

Same thing happens to me as crank... Plus I can't see the mini map or anything. It's completely white. Any help?

Blog Entries

White stuff in the GUI = install patch 2.1

I have installed it... Maybe it saved to a different file. When I get back home I'll check it out. Thanks!

um I installed medieval 2 via steam but installed kingdoms via cd anything special I need to do?

Blog Entries

Check where kingdoms got installed. If it got installed properly into the medieval II mods folder you should probably be OK. Have you tried starting one of the kingdoms campaigns?

Quote Originally Posted by NoMercy88 View Post
    Try...

1. In the m2tw folder you should see 3 exes. "m2.exe", "kingdoms.exe" and "launcher.exe"
    2. Create a folder called "backup" and place the "launcher.exe" in that
    3. Rename the "kingdoms.exe" to "launcher.exe"
    I tried this method when I had problems re-installing Steam with that updating issue a lot of people get, then ran into a problem with Kingdoms not being recognized, but I also went into the launch options under properties in the steam game menu. I used this line for SS6.3
    --features.mod=mods/SS6.3
    Which worked. Now keep in mind that if you use this launch command it will only launch that file (in other words only Stainless Steel 6.4 (patched )) so if you want to play any other game you would have to take that out. Now because I had to use that in SS I figured I would give it a try for TATW using this line
    --features.mod=mods/Third_Age
    And it does work. Like I said prior, I have to change the last line to whatever Kingdom Mod I want to play if I decide to play something different, i.e
    --features.mod=mods/americas
    --features.mod=mods/british_isles
    --features.mod=mods/crusades
    etc,etc....Just make sure the last folder option is TO THE LETTER, Caps included.
    This might not work for everyone but looking in all the posts some things work and some things don't for steam users, thought I would share what works for me, being I have been on the rage end of Steam....

Blog Entries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast