View Poll Results: Naval Battles in DarthMod are...

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic and challenging

87 43.72%
  • Realistic but tiring

70 35.18%
  • Normal

23 11.56%
  • Worst than Vanilla

19 9.55%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Naval Battles in DarthMod Empire are...

Default Re: Naval Battles in DarthMod Empire are...

Quote Originally Posted by Anbar View Post
    i think you possibly need to learn a bit about sailing... but eithe way ! hour for a 3 v3 sounds a little bit like an exageration.

I finish a 20 v20 in 45 minutes.

Again, I think a bit of exaggeration there, not too mention that the turning rates in Imperial Splendour, which you say you do play, are not all that different from the rates in Darthmod.

I suspect that what you are doing is constantly turning into the wind at slow speeds, resulting in luffing-up i.e. stalling. Some better tactics (sailing) will alleviate that issue.

It is worth pointing out that ANY even semi-realistic naval battle will require the gamer to learn a little bit about sailing.

That doesn’t automatically disqualify it from being any fun, which is what you seem to be suggesting. The vanilla naval system was, frankly, farcical and impossible, but I am sure it was done with the intent to make it simplistically easy for those who know nothing at all about sailing.

Any mod, such as Darthmod, which has at least some degree of “built-in realism” will make sailing more difficult; Imperial Splendour is no different.

Most of the FUN and SKILL in naval battles comes from out-sailing the opposition, positioning yourself correctly and keeping upwind where possible – you want to force the enemy into stalling and NOT being able to outmanoeuvre you.

From your description you are the one filling that niche at the moment.

This isn’t a game fault in my books, it’s a major step forward and vast improvement over vanilla.
    It really took an hour to finish a naval battle before, due to the fact that Darth had not altered the cannon damages.

And no, I do not need to learn about sailing.

And as I pointed out earlier, if battles no longer take an hour (3 vs 3 ships), them my vote in the thread should be disregarded, since that was the reason I quit playing his mod. It simply was not fun to waste that much amount of time on small battles.

Nonetheless, you seem to think Darth's naval changes represent some sort of realism, which is folly to state. Then you know nothing about naval battles during this era, since a single battle could last for days.
    Last edited by Enarion; April 05, 2009 at 12:27 AM.

for 0.75 (my previous was probably 0.7) im quite happy with the general naval layout, speeds and turn speeds atm. the AI is decent and can overwealm you if it outnumbers which is a good challenge, so id like to change my vote from realistic-tiring to realistic-challenging.

Agreed slowing down Naval combat has dramatically increased enjoyment for me.

Vanilla speeds were just nuts imho, maybe ok for the ADD generation but for seasoned wargamer's Darths work is on the money for me.

I voted "realistic and tiring". And it is good as it is, as its challenging too. Ship battles should not be a fast arcade-style action. With you mod the different shot types do what they are supposed to. And thus there is more strategical variability. Your work imo is very fine.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Is there a way to post a mod where you can play as mexico or any other factions online? I couldnt find any mods for that

I can't vote in any poll.
    Do I need to have a specific number of posts to be allowed to vote?

Well....I have had the chance of playing one Naval Battle in 0,75 at it was great......I was a little bit pissed off seeing the turn rate of a 4th Rate, but once I got the hang of it and learned to use the wind correctly, the 6th rates and Sloops/Brigs were going down the drain fairly easily. It know really is essential to watch the wind direction etc...also to chose the firing and turning points...since with big ships the turn radius is quite big and you can easily wind up outside of effective cannon range or be shot at more then shooting yourself. But over all I would say it is an improvement in comparison to Vanilla, of course it takes longer to fight Naval or Land battles (had one battle for 2 hours) but it is more fun. There is no rush.

sgt_melin's Avatar Semisalis

I love the sea battles in darth mod, I want it even more realistic...but ok..mamby not 8 hours battles But I have a suggestion, You could have 2 mods here, one that called Darthmod seabattles, and the other as you have now..plain Darthmod, so those how love your land battle but not happy with the sea can have only the land and AI stuff,,and as me..can have both sea and land mod, Im of course not sure if that can be done at all, but that is just an idee.

I have to agree with the posters saying that explosions are maybe overdone...I have had the AI basically kind of offer itself up as a sacrifice, getting a sloop in close to my larger ships in order to be exploded and take out the bigger ships, it's actually quite comical as I scatter my 2nds and 1st rates away from an approaching sloop with a crew screaming Allahu Akbar...on average I lose one ship of the line to explosions.

I like the idea of a terrifying aura for larger ships to reflect that no sloop captain in his right mind saddles up next to a first rate....but it might be easier to just increase the fire control rate on the larger ships...to reflect more men available to douse flames. Or, perhaps shorten the radius at which an exploding ship can catch an enemy ship on fire?
    WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I still think the ships move too fast. The idea that we should turn them into speed boats to "liven up play" is absurd.
    Keep the historical reality with speed or your mod is toast.

Explosions are not altered by me. It is just that smaller ships have a much more light hull, the decisive firepower is increased, so there is more probability that all these cannon balls find the ammunition depot and create the Death Star effect.

I may have to find this secret stat (if it exists) so that I tone it down. Naval Battles are maybe my best of the mod right now, as I see it.

The turning rates are just perfect, maybe still too fast if you compare it with the reality but this has a perfect balance between gameplay and realism
    I think that AI has too much advantage in naval battles now though, their ships rarely sink even with a very damages hull and my ships sink when their hull is only a bit damaged.

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

i cant vote yet until ive experianced more naval battles but it feels like your modifications are a great change so far.

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

The naval battles are a huge improvement for the game.

I've played all darthmods since 0.1 - 0.85. I didn't switch back to vanilla... never...

I think the naval battles are very good balanced and fun to play with 0.85.

Hail to the almighty LORD DARTH VADER!

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Explosions are not altered by me. It is just that smaller ships have a much more light hull, the decisive firepower is increased, so there is more probability that all these cannon balls find the ammunition depot and create the Death Star effect.

I may have to find this secret stat (if it exists) so that I tone it down. Naval Battles are maybe my best of the mod right now, as I see it.

I don't think you need to tone down the number of explosions, I think a sloop probably would vaporize if hit by a full heavy first rate broadside...but the fire spreading from these is what needs to go down...are their statistics that cover a ship's ability to put out fires, or a radius at which fires can spread?

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Barabus View Post
    I have to agree with the posters saying that explosions are maybe overdone...I have had the AI basically kind of offer itself up as a sacrifice, getting a sloop in close to my larger ships in order to be exploded and take out the bigger ships, it's actually quite comical as I scatter my 2nds and 1st rates away from an approaching sloop with a crew screaming Allahu Akbar...on average I lose one ship of the line to explosions.

I like the idea of a terrifying aura for larger ships to reflect that no sloop captain in his right mind saddles up next to a first rate....but it might be easier to just increase the fire control rate on the larger ships...to reflect more men available to douse flames. Or, perhaps shorten the radius at which an exploding ship can catch an enemy ship on fire?
    I like to think of the suicidal sloops as something akin to fire ships what with their tendency to explode .

That said was certainly not unknown for sloop captains to dive into the fray between the lines of heavier ships of the line, much like skirmishers before the line infantry battalions on land.

Sir Robin's Avatar Miles

Been ages since I last posted but here goes. I voted yes that I enjoy them and I do find it challenging. Little slow at times but that is what the fast forward button is for. My issues with naval battles are AI type things where they like to get in my ships way. Especially when even light galleys become immovable by any earthly power as soon as they surrender.

I actually enjoy the naval battles more than the land ones but that is likely because TW didn't have them before.

Great mod and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by iricund View Post
    I like to think of the suicidal sloops as something akin to fire ships what with their tendency to explode .

That said was certainly not unknown for sloop captains to dive into the fray between the lines of heavier ships of the line, much like skirmishers before the line infantry battalions on land.
    I am familiar with the concept of a fire ship, but my understanding of that is that the ship would be rigged to catch fire or explode and then steered in the general direction of the target without a crew....i have never heard of a MANNED fire ship....I will take your word on a sloop captain, but an example would go a long way towards validating that statement to others.

The turn rate of galleys (full-sized galleys, not light galleys) is still... woeful. That's the one thing they should be good at, no?

I've said before I think their shots should be more powerful too (64-lb cannon) but at that's minor compared to their turning circle!

I'm loving everything else, especially morale.

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by carlisimo View Post
    The turn rate of galleys (full-sized galleys, not light galleys) is still... woeful. That's the one thing they should be good at, no?

I've said before I think their shots should be more powerful too (64-lb cannon) but at that's minor compared to their turning circle!
    I have to agree with this, galley's seem a bit, well, pointless at the moment...

And given the Barbary Pirates build a lot of them it would make the med more interesting if they where a little more effective...
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark