Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282107122123124125126127128129130131132
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 2640

Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Links to latest versions - 14th July 2010

Geomod 0.6.18 FR = French (includes BinEditor 3.0)
    Geomod 0.6.18 DE = German (includes BinEditor 3.0)
    Geomod 0.6.18 EN = English (includes BinEditor 3.0)
    Geomod 0.6.18 IT = Italian (includes BinEditor 3.0)
    Geomod 0.6.18 TK = Turkish (includes BinEditor 3.0)

Bare Geomod - a base 'vanilla' mod folder (fully kingdoms compatible) for use with Geomod

The Geomod Manual by gig - still a WIP, but already quite comprehensive and detailed.

Important Information - please read
    Files used by Geomod - asterix (*) shows files that are modified when you save your work (map.rwm gets deleted automatically):

* data\world\maps\base\map_climates.tga
    * data\world\maps\base\map_ground_types.tga
    * data\world\maps\base\map_heights.tga
    * data\world\maps\base\map_regions.tga
    * data\world\maps\base\map_features.tga
    * data\world\maps\base\map_fog.tga
    * data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt
    * data\world\maps\base\descr_sounds_music_types.txt
    * data\world\maps\base\descr_terrain.txt
    * ++ data\world\maps\base\map.rwm
    * data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_events.txt
    * data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
    * data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_mercenaries.txt
    * data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_win_conditions.txt
    data\text\names.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\rebel_faction_descr.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\religions.txt.strings.bin
    * data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\expanded.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_units.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_ancillaries.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_vnvs.txt.strings.bin
    * ++ data\text\historic_events.txt.strings.bin
    * data\text\strat.txt
    data\descr_cultures.txt
    data\descr_names.txt
    data\descr_sm_resources.txt
    * data\descr_sm_factions.txt
    data\descr_rebel_factions.txt
    data\descr_religions.txt
    data\export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    data\export_descr_buildings.txt
    data\export_descr_character_traits.txt
    data\export_descr_unit.txt

All these files can be found in sub folders of ...\Medieval II Total War\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files (except map.rwm - which isn't really needed)

++ special note
    This file is not properly generated by Geomod and cause a long delay at game start.
    To rectify you should download the StringBin Converter (requires Python 2.6) and extract the converter into the data\text folder.
    Click 'convert_all' to get updated txt files, which in turn will generate new string.bin files, solving the problem.

++ special note
    This file gets deleted each time you save your work with Geomod. That way the generating of a new map will be automatically to reflect changes you have made

It's very odd.. But Geomod doesn't work for me for any mod since re-installing it - the same issue happens on your Bare Geomod.

I get a bunch of error-messages stating i am missing pretty much all the required files of the Geomod program. But all the files are in their places. Geomod is bugging out completely and i don't have a clue why it can't load your Bare Geomod, or any of my mods.

It's the exact same message for any mod including Bare Geomod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Desktop Screenshot 2020.03.27 - 07.58.46.54.png  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; March 27, 2020 at 02:27 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Given that it's the full list of files required by BG my first reaction would be that you pointed the tool to the wrong directory (data folder of mod instead of root).

To rule out a few issues I installed BG into the root directory of my system drive which didn't make any difference in functionality other then spending an eternity to browse to my (Steam) M2TW directory. Also tested if running the tool in admin mode causes an issue but it was fine.

It will be an issue from your side and I am not sure what else I could test.

Given that it's the full list of files required by BG my first reaction would be that you pointed the tool to the wrong directory (data folder of mod instead of root).

To rule out a few issues I installed BG into the root directory of my system drive which didn't make any difference in functionality other then spending an eternity to browse to my (Steam) M2TW directory. Also tested if running the tool in admin mode causes an issue but it was fine.

It will be an issue from your side and I am not sure what else I could test.
    What tool are you writing about now?

Bare geomod works for me. But Geomod doesn't- so i can't edit any map.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Blog Entries

My bad - consider all instances of BG to mean the tool. Sorry for the confusion.

My bad - consider all instances of BG to mean the tool. Sorry for the confusion.
    Yes- but why is it that Geomod can't be used on any mod? I get the same error-message even when trying to use it on BG?

While i can run BG i can't use it in geomod.

- The Havamal

Blog Entries

The basics: the tool does not recognize the required files. That is normally the case if you do not select the mod's root directory, eg mods\bare_geomod\data (other applications use that path, eg the EDB validator and Squid's applications) instead of mods\bare_geomod. In other word's: select the directories in this view underneath, do not browse deeper.

If you are using the mod's root directory and the required files are present in their respective directories and you still get that complete list of files in the error message then I can only assume that it might have to do with some driver issue - but I have no clue what it could be. I know that changing the operating system's DPI setting messes with the tool's graphics, but other then that I can only make assumptions.

Do try giving the tool's exe admin rights and run it in XP compatibility (see here on how to). win7 might work, too.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 28, 2020 at 11:27 PM.

The basics: the tool does not recognize the required files. That is normally the case if you do not select the mod's root directory, eg mods\bare_geomod\data (other applications use that path, eg the EDB validator and Squid's applications) instead of mods\bare_geomod. In other word's: select the directories in this view underneath, do not browse deeper.

If you are using the mod's root directory and the required files are present in their respective directories and you still get that complete list of files in the error message then I can only assume that it might have to do with some driver issue - but I have no clue what it could be. I know that changing the operating system's DPI setting messes with the tool's graphics, but other then that I can only make assumptions.

Do try giving the tool's exe admin rights and run it in XP compatibility (see here on how to). win7 might work, too.
    Yes, i am using the mod's root-folder. It used to work back in 2018 but for some reason now it doesn't. I wanted to add a missing settlement to a region in a mod, but i don't know how to edit maps outside of Geomod. The Great Sea: Total War demo has a map with four isles- but according to an error-log one of the regions doesn't have a proper settlement placed out or similar. Not really sure. I get thrown back to the main menu when attempting to run it, despite having added leaders and factions with starting garrisons to all the four settlements in the descr_strat, fixed the winning conditions etc.

But using another map-tool i get the message that a settlement doesn't have proper coordinates in a region RGM something. And no matter what mod i try to load in Geomod i get that list of missing files- despite those files being in the base-folder of the mod.

When i loaded the Medieval2 root-directory instead i got a smaller list of errors, then after attempting that again the long list returned. So no matter if i use the root of the mods, or of the main game- a list shows-up.

I've fixed the "Unknown faction"-issue in the win conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Desktop Screenshot 2020.03.27 - 07.31.25.18.png   Desktop Screenshot 2020.03.27 - 07.58.46.54.png   Desktop Screenshot 2020.03.29 - 01.19.43.69.jpg  

- The Havamal

Blog Entries

In the third screenshot the geomod.log file is in the maps\base folder - this file (the tool's error log) will appear in the directory you choose which should be the mod's root directory, certainly not the maps\base folder. Did you copy it to the maps\base folder?
    If you select the M2TW root directory you will get a shorter list of files - those are the files that are in the data directory and usually packed.
    In the error list in the first screenshot however it looks as if some map files (map_climates, map_fog etc) were present in the correct directory while others are missing.

Did you try the admin rights and compatibility I suggested?

As to the error: normally happens if the settlement pixel hasn't got the correct RGB value or is totally missing. Might look black but if the value isn't 0,0,0 then it will be reported as not present by withwhar's map reader. Open the map_regions.tga file and check if you have a pixel in each of those 4 regions.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 30, 2020 at 05:17 AM.

Gigantus,
    Thanks for all the work you and your fellows have done. I was also able to download and get running 3rd Age. My current interest is that mod for Medieval TW2. I downloaded your latest Geomod Tool for the information about the core game. I play to explore games and how they play. I learn the 'tilde' commands to maximize my strength. I have read export files within 3rd Age and Medieval TW2. I never play multiplayer.
    My only slight concern is I seem to be gaining accomplishments which I don't think I have fairly earned in Steam games. I thought they'd block them. And I wouldn't mind if they did.
    I also don't want to message in violation of Steam's posting rules. Some posts I was tracking have been deleted. Do they consider use of 'tilde' commands built into games by developers 'cheating'? If I was to use them in multiplayer I would consider it cheating but in single player I am just playing the game literally with the game designer's tools. But I do not know what Steam thinks.
    Kerm Nelson aka KhaanuhFrog.

Blog Entries

The only accomplishments in Steam connected to M2TW are appreciation by other users afaik (at least that's the only ones I have), you would need to give me an example for a better answer.

The tilde is the shortcut to the developer console and there is nothing 'forbidden' about it, just don't use it in multi player like you mentioned.

I am not sure what exact criteria Steam has for deleting posts but you certainly won't get into trouble by subscribing to them, only if you post things yourself that isn't in line with their rules.

Anyone knows where geomod stores the debug files? i've been trying to open sship 9.8 latest beta (and sship 9.7) and geomod starts loading but never finish and just disappears from my screen, any help would be appreciated?

Blog Entries

Usually the tool will freeze if it encounters an error (check manual for hints) or give a specific error message if default files are missing. You can find those files in the m2tw\tools\geomod\m2tw_files sub directories

Usually the tool will freeze if it encounters an error (check manual for hints) or give a specific error message if default files are missing. You can find those files in the m2tw\tools\geomod\m2tw_files sub directories
    I didn't get any error message, just the load bar and a promp exit, will check at what percentage it was, thank for the help.

Is anyone else having problems with the geomod tool? I am attempting to load maps from the old stainless steel games and it keeps saying error. When I try to edit the sship map geomod will load it but I can not use the mouse cursor over the map area. It will literally kick my mouse off the area. I can not select anything on the map and edit it whatsoever. I don't remember having this many problems with geomod when I modified a game back in 2018. any advice?

In case of problems with the mouse or moving the map in the display

Go into the desktop shortcut's compatibility tab (right click shortcut and choose 'Properties' to open) and click on 'run compatibility troubleshooter'. Click on 'Try recommended settings' when prompted.

You will most likely end up with compatibility set to 'Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)' and a tick mark in the 'Change high DPI settings' (Program DPI). The latter will fix the mouse issue.
    Just the 'change high DPI settings' worked for me on Win 10.

This seemed to help, I appreciate it. Now I am back to cloning factions.

I am modifying my mod in geomod and by the time I go to save the project I get a 1% save error and the geomod crashes.

I make sure that every settlement has a faction assigned to it, nothing blank. I am also validating after every area I modify. When I looked at the goemod manual it says that could be the issue. I have no idea what is going with the 1% save error or how to fix it.

The only issue I can see that may also be a problem is when I first start using geomod it says this warning the data/world/maps/base/descr regions.txt file has been debugged it contained one or more error.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Blog Entries

Have you tested at the beginning if you can save the mod without having made any changes at all? That would be important to rule out 'inherited' issues. Did you follow up on the formatting of the TGA files?

The 'debugged' descr_regions message means unsupported hidden resource entries (usually trading resource entries, a RTW leftover) have been removed. Normally nothing to be concerned about.

Hello,
    i use the bineditor to change some text of trade resources with the tool in strat.txt.strings.bin
    once in geomod the name had not changed, same when in game, which seems logical
    is there another file to edit the resources name ?

edit : other thing when i use _convert_all.bat in the text folder the strat.txt is always the old file of 03/05/2010

edit 2 : for the strat map, the name must be edited in the tooltips.txt file

edit 3 : for the name in the settlement trade overview, strat.txt must be edited, but i don't know why the bineditor has hard time with these two files because the strings.bin files displayed wrong names
    Last edited by Matthias the great; October 12, 2023 at 11:50 AM.

Blog Entries

There are 4 files the BinEditor can not work with: strat, shared, tooltips and battle. For these files you need to directly edit the TXT, a new STRING.BIN file will generate at the next game start