Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Late Roman AAR

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Very Late Roman AAR

I went and upgraded my PC, the little sinner that I am, just to play this mod . . .

To celebrate, a little AAR to honour all the hard work being done!

Anna Comnena and the Lapsed Chapter

I remember sitting with Von Horvath one night discussing the intricacies of the Iconoclasts in Constantinople and the eminently subtle debates expounded around the flames and the various torture racks when old Van Horvath leaned in and whispered about whether I knew anything about the Lapsed Chapter of Anna Comnena? I professed to utter ignorance in such an arcane title and the wily old antiquarian smiled deeply and proceeded to tell me a strange and puzzling story indeed.

It began when he was in Prague several years ago and stumbled into an old second-hand bookshop down some musty alleyway. Within its Byzantine arcades - and yes Von Horvath used the word deliberately - he chanced over an old Teuting edition of Anna Comnena’s ‘The Alexiad’. Of course, he purchased it - especially as the edition was translated by certain unknown Mexican scholar named Alonzo Estaban y Gonzales in 1846. As far as Von Horvath was aware no such translation was cited by scholars or in general circulation and so it was with some eagerness he clasped the battered copy to his chest and went home to the dingy hotel allotted to him by his University.

It was late that night as he was avidly reading ‘The Alexiad’ that my wizened friend first found the ‘Lapsed Chapter’, as he so quaintly named it. A small insertion about the fate of a Roman dromond blown far off course and later stranded on a eerily alien shore under a blood-red sun. The fate of these few late Romans was short and as bloody as that sun and took up no large space in ‘The Alexiad‘. Von Horvath told me that he re-read that chapter five times in straight succession and only then picked up the dusty telephone receiver to call Bartleby Jones, the renowned Byzantine scholar (who always scowled every time some poor undergrad mentioned the word ‘Byzantine’) and mentioned both the translation in his hand and the curious chapter of the Roman dromond. That dean of late Roman scholarship had barked back down the crackling telephone line that he had drunk too much plum brandy and that as a result the words were swirling about his head like smoky hieroglyphs - and then slammed the receiver down on him.

The next day, Von Horvath had rummaged in the King Charles University Library and discovered that the Mexican scholar, Alonzo Estaban y Gonzales, had indeed translated Anna Comnena’s renowned work into English as part of his Doctoral thesis but that all the extant copies had been destroyed in a fire one night in the University Annex. Gonzales himself had fallen into a deep depression as a result and was later found hanged beneath the Gargoyle Hall’s upper balustrade.

I interjected then and asked if that was the case what on earth was the book he had found in Prague? Von Horvath smiled one of his insufferably superior smiles then and lit up his meerschaum pipe. As the oily smoke enveloped us, he said he too wondered that but suggested that perhaps this single chapter found nowhere else in all the translations and originals of ‘The Alexiad’ was perhaps an heretical chapter, a lapsed chapter, as it were. A single counter-point to the orthodoxy of Anna’s adulation of her father.

Of course, I asked him to expound further on the ‘Lapsed Chapter’ of Anna Comnena and of course my friend concurred with delight repeating from memory the words which had so captivated him -

It was in the year 1082 and during the War with the Normans and a single dromond under the command of Romanus Diogenes is tasked by the Emperor to sail westwards through the Sicilian waters to attempt to make port along the French coast. There, Romanus was to dissuade the ‘Franks’, as Anna terms them, to aid the Normans against the legitimate Roman powers along the Italian and Adriatic shores. A violent storm ensued and the solitary dromond was battered without release until it had been blown so far west as to pass the Pillars of Hercules and become lost amid the ocean of Atlantis. Weeks passed and the broken vessel drifted at the mercy of the seas until, with all her crew and the Roman soldiers onboard racked with hunger and thirst, a distant golden shore was sighted. With a last effort, the dromond shook itself and made landfall even as her timbers creaked and fell apart. Those that staggered ashore found themselves in a land of snakes and lizards and where the sun seemed to glisten as though bathed in a faint mist of blood. With prayers to Christos and the Emperor, Romanus Diogenes assembled his survivors and warned them that they had sailed into Hell itself and must now fight under the sacred labarums to escape whatever demons fell upon them. After a night of feverish prayers and fasting the soldiers formed up and marched a little inland deeper into the Hell they thought they had been washed ashore upon. Before long, manic cries assailed their ears and the devils Romanus had warned them about crested the baking dunes to fall upon them without respite. The consequent battle was short and violent - and despite the presence of a bombard or two heaved ashore - utterly fatal. Romanus was cut down by an obsidian axe even as his guard attempted to rally to his falling form. All the Romans, the infantry, the cataphracts, the sagittarii and the gunners, were massacred under the shrieks of the devils from Hell itself - and so ended the fate of that dromond and her crew . . .

It was then that that damnable Von Horvath puffed out a last veil of pipe smoke so that his face seemed to vanish from view.

For a long while I remained silent and then I slowly poured more wine for us. My friend remained silent also and eyed me with a sardonic light. Finally, I could take it no longer and I burst out laughing at his jest. What nonsense, I exclaimed! Bombards in the Eleventh century?! Byzantines washed up in Southern America?! Aztecs butchering Romans before they had even existed?! And if all the Romans were slain, how on earth did Anna Comnena even know about the dromond?! This Alonso was surely a fantasist who had corrupted his translation as some sort of hoax! No wonder he hanged himself from the balustrade - he must have know he was going to discovered!

Von Horvath nodded sagely, too, and remarked that I was surely right. He had been beguiled by a dead hoaxer and embarrassed himself before the world’s leading Roman scholar. A heresiarch from the grave had indeed had the last laugh. We drank some more wine and I consoled Von Horvath and told him that it made an interesting anecdote, if nothing else. The remnants of the night passed insouciantly away and eventually he retired to his bed.

Alone, I found my eyes staying to his discarded meerschaum pipe and wondering on the hapless Mexican who stole a false story into an ancient history. Perhaps this man was in some arcane way re-writing our history in revenge for all the burning and effacing done to his by our own crusading knights all those centuries ago? History is written by the victors, a sage once wrote, but what of those who re-write such history?

I lifted the last of my wine in a little toast to that pitiable man who swung from the Gargoyle Hall in shame if only to honour his memory and his act of little bravery . . .

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Very Late Roman AAR

That was an entertaining read indeed. Quite bizzare, but it makes a change from the usual medieval 2 AAR fare .

I also upgraded recently, and boy was it worth it! Aside from the fact that I can play medieval II now, I can also (and this is the best part) play IBFD with maxed out graphics . Beforehand I had to have all the settings on lowest, but now It's like a totally different game

Excellent - I've only just installed the new card about 2 hours ago and tested it. Amazing difference! I haven't yet tried IBFD as I am still immersing myself in MTWII. But I will later and boy o boy are those barbarians in for a shock!

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Excellent - I've only just installed the new card about 2 hours ago and tested it. Amazing difference! I haven't yet tried IBFD as I am still immersing myself in MTWII. But I will later and boy o boy are those barbarians in for a shock!

He made the upgrade.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    He made the upgrade.

That was very odd indeed.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

I am reading for too much Argentinian literature these days, alas!

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Thank you for an intriguing AAR that will undoubtedly return to me in my dreams.

It would appear that your Romanos Diogenes must have fallen through a rent in the fabric of space-time and emerged into the strange parallel universe of CA, where South America is no further than the Canaries, and Aztecs are stronger than knights in armour!

Welcome SBH to the weird world of M2TW where militia spearmen go skating on city streets, soldiers don't know how to form a line, and a disembodied voice (presumably of a shop-steward) continually insists that you withdraw your men from combat before they get hurt!
    Last edited by Juvenal; September 28, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Oh dear. That bad? I'm struggling with Princesses and Merchants at the moment and some strange wandering heretics. I'm mostly just setting up custom battles to test out late Roman tactics with early (coughs) 'Byzantine' units. Bring on IBFDII, I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    Thank you for an intriguing AAR that will undoubtedly return to me in my dreams.

It would appear that your Romanos Diogenes must have fallen through a rent in the fabric of space-time and emerged into the strange parallel universe of CA, where South America is no further than the Canaries, and Aztecs are stronger than knights in armour!

Welcome SBH to the weird world of M2TW where militia spearmen go skating on city streets, soldiers don't know how to form a line, and a disembodied voice (presumably of a shop-steward) continually insists that you withdraw your men from combat before they get hurt!
    Well said. I shut up the advisor pretty much as soon as I started playing. Even the weird Aussie was less annoying than him. Pity you can't set it to tell you just the less obvious stuff. Whatever setting you choose that woman is always whining at you about how to move my sodding diplomats.

@SBH - I'd just forget the Merchants If I were you... there another useless gimmick that CA tossed in as an afterthought.... As for those Byzantines...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169167

Even so, I've quickly gone off M2TW... I've bought that new graphics card and now I'm 'wasting' it on RTW. Although it's entertaining to play EB on full graphics. Bloody excellent mod, is that.
    Last edited by Jingles; September 29, 2008 at 02:37 AM.

The oddest thing happened - after installing the card and MTWII and then playtesting it for some hours (hence the mini AAR), I loaded IBFD and found it corrupted - so was NTW2, EB and IJ! I must now do a full install of RTW/BI plus mods all over again. How tedious.

I usually play with the advisor off anyway (probably why I always get hammered in these games!).

The Late Roman unit roster looks great - at the moment I am playing vanilla only but will shell out for Kingdoms soon and maybe download BC? Just to kill time before either EBII and IBFDII are released!!!!!!!!

Yes, BC is excellent. For some inexplicable reason I love playing the Indian factions in that mod...
    Without wanting to advertise much, a couple of mods have just been released that are worth checking out. First is Viking Invasion 2 for BI (made by MasterOfNone, so It's pretty high quality. Based off of Arthurian, I think). The other one is For King or Country (English Civil War mod. If you're interested in that period, I'd recommend it. About as far away from vanilla Medieval 2 as you can get).

About the Grpahics card. Mine did some weird stuff like that too, actually. Currently my MSN messenger dosen't work. I keep getting error messages, and it only started after installing the card :hmmm:

For King and Country is out?!?!? OMG, what timing!

Eh, I can't even stomach Medieval...me poor computer can't take the heat...

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

For King and Country is out?!?!? OMG, what timing!
    lol, yeah. I didn't check for ONE day and that's when it was released .
    I've tried it, and it is indeed quite awesome.

Yes, I downloaded it last night - fancy meeting up online for some pike and musket fun?!

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

@SBH - please continue to post your valuable observations on M2TW.

@Jingle_Bombs - I am very excited about Viking Invasion II, I have it installed but haven't had time to play yet.

It is modelled on the MTW(1) Viking Invasion expansion pack and includes contributions from the Arthurian and Chivalry teams. I played MTW-VI to death in the good old days, completing campaigns with every faction. I even defeated the Vikings as Mercia despite not being able to send troops to Denmark and Norway (it is amazing what can be achieved with assassins and spies).

I will never forget my first encounter with the Vikings. My garrison of 120 spearmen was attacked by 12 Berserkers, and I was wiped out! When I eventually got around to playing Vikings myself I discovered the raiding game, a completely new way of playing MTW. Oh happy days!
    Last edited by Juvenal; September 30, 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

great job

Yes, I downloaded it last night - fancy meeting up online for some pike and musket fun?!
    I'd quite like to indeed. If I have some free time this weekend, I'll probably PM you about it. Right now I need to be getting on with my essay on the dissolution of the monasteries. Truly riveting stuff is this...

(snores deeply - uh? What? Somebody there?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast