Thread: Faith / Religion system?

Senator

Default Faith / Religion system?

In this mod, will it be possible to have the option to persecute, convert, or tolerate religions of your choice? This would be good, as I find the system of conversion far too streamlined.

Another good thing would be more deep-rooted religious groups - for example, I believe it should take centuries to win over the Holy Land to your own religion - not decades (unless you used a "forced conversion" option).

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Default Re: Faith / Religion system?

I like this idea.. hope the devs give it some thought.

Senator

Thanks
    btw, sorry to sound stupid, but what is a "dev"??

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Developer. People that work on the mod.

Senator

Will you give the idea some thought, then?

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

hehe Hross you explain dev and ignore the initial question lol.. or is that your answer in the non-comital form... :hmmm:

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Senator

hehe lol

hope you do take this idea into acount

It is possible to could modify the upgrades of religious buildings to add more variety but I'm unsure how to represent persecution or tolerance.

Should a more tolerance church provide less religious conversion but more public happiness? Should upgrading a church to an inquisition building provide greater religious conversion but less public happiness and growth?
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    It is possible to could modify the upgrades of religious buildings to add more variety but I'm unsure how to represent persecution or tolerance.

Should a more tolerance church provide less religious conversion but more public happiness? Should upgrading a church to an inquisition building provide greater religious conversion but less public happiness and growth?
    hmmm.... I like this idea!

I've got an idea about religion changes after capturing settlement.In my opinion after sacking or exterminating population of settlement religion should change a bit too. For example, christians sack pagan city and as a result the population of pagan religion (%) decreases by 5%, after exterminating population- by 10% :hmmm:?

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by true born Lithuanian View Post
    I've got an idea about religion changes after capturing settlement.In my opinion after sacking or exterminating population of settlement religion should change a bit too. For example, christians sack pagan city and as a result the population of pagan religion (%) decreases by 5%, after exterminating population- by 10% :hmmm:?
    This is a good idea, too, but I still think that the rate of conversion is WAY too fast - especially if you wish for your empire to be a tolerant one... :hmmm:

Overall, I think these are all good ideas, but I also wanna know wanna know if places like Lithuania will be given the OPTION of full conversion to Christianity after a certain time?
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder

Quote Originally Posted by OdinX View Post
    Overall, I think these are all good ideas, but I also wanna know wanna know if places like Lithuania will be given the OPTION of full conversion to Christianity after a certain time?
    Well, theoretically full conversion to Christianity of Lithuania was made in XIV century, but in reality pagan religion remained alive in distant place until XVII century, so full conversion will be available only in Empire TW

Civis

In regards to conversion, I have to agree with several opinions so far expressed. While there have been exceptions such as Ireland in the 5th century and Islam in the 7th and Africa in the 20th, the typical conversion to a new relgion does not happen overnight, unless you count the fashionable Christian heresies which could quickly muster up to one third of the whole body of Chrisitanity in as little as ten years as was with Arianism in the 4th century and Protestantism in the 16th, or suck up to half the body in a single area within a couple of years as was the case with the Hussites in Bohemia in the 15th.

But other wise, conversion was a slow process normally. Germany took a few centuries with the last tribes converting 500 years after the first missionaries walked into those forests. In the case of Islam in Spain the Moslem were never able to secure more than a small minority of the local population to Islam. Catholicism proved quite stubborn.

And here's the interesting thing about Christian heresies. They were far more likely to appear in prosperous provences than poor provences and driven by the fashions of the time, very quickly would appear outmoded, outdated, and backward, slowly succumbing to, of all things, Paganism or Islam. In the case of the initial Moslem conquest, the areas of Palastine, Syria, Egypt, Africa, and Spain were all hotbeds of the last 300 years of Christian heresy, Donitism, Monthelitism, and Arianism. All three heresies vanished literally in a single generation, all converting to Islam. Only the minority Orthodox in Palastine and Syria, the Copitics in Egypt, the Catholics in Spain, and the Chaldeans in Mesopotamia were left after 7th century, but they held out for a very long time indeed. Even today, there are small bodies of them left in those areas.

Giorgios's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Philippon View Post
    In regards to conversion, I have to agree with several opinions so far expressed. While there have been exceptions such as Ireland in the 5th century and Islam in the 7th and Africa in the 20th, the typical conversion to a new relgion does not happen overnight, unless you count the fashionable Christian heresies which could quickly muster up to one third of the whole body of Chrisitanity in as little as ten years as was with Arianism in the 4th century and Protestantism in the 16th, or suck up to half the body in a single area within a couple of years as was the case with the Hussites in Bohemia in the 15th.

But other wise, conversion was a slow process normally. Germany took a few centuries with the last tribes converting 500 years after the first missionaries walked into those forests. In the case of Islam in Spain the Moslem were never able to secure more than a small minority of the local population to Islam. Catholicism proved quite stubborn.

And here's the interesting thing about Christian heresies. They were far more likely to appear in prosperous provences than poor provences and driven by the fashions of the time, very quickly would appear outmoded, outdated, and backward, slowly succumbing to, of all things, Paganism or Islam. In the case of the initial Moslem conquest, the areas of Palastine, Syria, Egypt, Africa, and Spain were all hotbeds of the last 300 years of Christian heresy, Donitism, Monthelitism, and Arianism. All three heresies vanished literally in a single generation, all converting to Islam. Only the minority Orthodox in Palastine and Syria, the Copitics in Egypt, the Catholics in Spain, and the Chaldeans in Mesopotamia were left after 7th century, but they held out for a very long time indeed. Even today, there are small bodies of them left in those areas.
    Actually, most of Egypt and the Levant remained majority Christian until the 11th century; even in the time of the Crusaders perhaps 40% of the population was Christian... Sorry to be pedantic, I'm bored lol

Basileos's Avatar Decanus

In the case of Islam in Spain the Moslem were never able to secure more than a small minority of the local population to Islam. Catholicism proved quite stubborn.
    That is not true.
    As soon as the moslems arrived, native iberians converted to islam.they were given a special name,"the muwalladun",the "new-converted".Also a big population boom helped increasing the numbers of moslems.there were already large scale converts in the 8th century,in the 9th century the christians still holded 30%-40% of the population of Al-Andalus, but in the late 10th and 11th century again a large scale conversion appeared.by then the population of the christian was then about 10% in the whole country,with exception Toledo.
    Especcialy the arrival of the Almoravids and more specific the Almohads ended the mozarabic culture in Al-Andalus.They were very intollerant and putted so heavy taxes on the remaining christians (and maybe jews,however i'm not sure of this),that virtualy all the christians migrated to the christian north.
    The only christians in the Nasrid sultanate of Granada were the small groups of Venetians,Pisans and/or Genoese.by then the native christian population was vanished largely.Christianity didn't hold much more than 5% of the population.

I think that people who thinks that there were 60% christians in moslem iberian cities in the 12th century played too much SS.

Actually, most of Egypt and the Levant remained majority Christian until the 11th century; even in the time of the Crusaders perhaps 40% of the population was Christian...
    More or less true.However i don't think christianity formed a majority,but rather a very large minority,like 40%-50% of the population.there were also many Jews in Egypt.however large conversion to islam occured in the 13th century.

And even more: christian sects spreaded across Persia and Transoxania during the islamic period,there were even some mongol tribes and chinese people who converted to christianity!

Sorry to be pedantic, I'm bored lol
    so am i!!!!

"I created disco"
    "**** Me I'm Famous"
    Al-Andalus/moorish researcher for DotS.
    Come and visite the DotS threads! : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...prune=-1&f=492

And here's the interesting thing about Christian heresies. They were far more likely to appear in prosperous provences than poor provences and driven by the fashions of the time, very quickly would appear outmoded, outdated, and backward, slowly succumbing to, of all things, Paganism or Islam.
    Heretical antisacerdotal views would often appear among the bourgeois, in particularly in the wealthy towns of Northern Italy and Southern France, since the church which was increasingly administered by lawyers - and most of the popes between mid-12th century and 1300 also had a background in law - wasn't able to satisfy the religious needs of the urban areas. So, disappointed in the orthodox priests, the bourgeois were quite likely to respond to the preachings of itinerant preachers, many of whom held antisacerdotal and antisacramental views.
    Last edited by Alkidas; September 14, 2008 at 07:57 AM.

:hmmm:makes sense...
    DKnIgHT, ODiN_X
    Like my comments, like me, like what I do?! If so, rep me and leave your name so I can rep you back!
    -Dominion of the Sword: Promotional, Traits, Admin Assistant, and Coder