Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want faster Computer/Gaming/TATW performance? Want more FPS? UPDATED! 3-29-2012

Trailhog250's Avatar Semisalis

Icon1 Want faster Computer/Gaming/TATW performance? Want more FPS? UPDATED! 3-29-2012

Last updated 12:31 AM/00:31 hours 3/29/2012
    (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Changes: Changes made to the Gamebooster section. (as of the recent update!) Which is 6.x (with x being 1, 2, 3 etc.) Also very IMPORTANT changes made to the ASC part. Reread it as well.

Something to note: In 2 more days will be this guide's first anniversary as it was created on 3/31/2011. It has helped many users both with strong and weak computers for a whole year. May it help many more in the following years and you reading this as well. As usual, I am still active at TWC and will answer any and all questions in jurisdiction of this guide.

I'm making this so people can enjoy faster games (yes more FPS and easy to do) and as a little + faster computers

We all know some of us can't enjoy TATW like others. (Huge, Ultra, etc) *I personally can which encouraged me to make the guide* but all of us can't. Now this guide won't mean you'll be able to turn graphics all the way up and such but it will make sure you get the most out of your computer while you're playing. So you might call this 'Optimizing' the game. You should see increased stability as a whole in all tasks and TATW should play smoother. (I said it 'should' keep that in mind)

Alright here it is, I will post the programs and download links along with a short tutorial on how to use them. (Which will just be my wording )

Glary Utilites -CNET
    Advanced System Care -CNET
    Game Booster -CNET
    Smart Defrag -CNET
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -CNET

Every one of these programs is ranked #1 in their category on CNET (One of the oldest, best known, and trusted sites around) Because they are the best of the best

Gamebooster is actually #7 in it's category but that's because it's in 'Optimization and Maintenance' so of course it's not ranked properly. It's in a class of it's own, trust me. All these are perfectly safe too.

Alright here's my little 'guide' now for you:

NOTE: Allow any programs to update when you first run them (Though these are the new versions they will be updated) Mawarebytes Anti-Malware has to update it's 'data base' so it's an exception

With ASC5 'Turbo Boost' was added back so I had to re add my info again. So in this guide reread the ASC5 part if you've read it before 3/29/2012!

Trailhog250's Guide to better and smoother gaming
    1. Download and install ALL the programs and follow the instructions and such.

2. Open 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware'.

2a. When it opens click 'Perform Quick Scan' <--- That's really the only scan I recommend the 'Full Scan' takes a LONG time and never has my quick scan missed something.

2b. If it detected problems simply take care of them, it should 'Quarantine' them on it's own. I can't remember what you have to do but it's simply just look at your options. Anyway you should be able to delete hem REALLY easy.

2c.Close Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and make sure there is no 'System Tray' icon in the bottom right of the screen.

2TIME.About 2-10 Mins.

3. Open Smart Defrag and where it says 'Defrag' click the arrow beside it and click 'Defrag and Fully Optimize' *VERY IMPORTANT* if that same tab is now greyed out and reads 'Full Optimize' it's doing what it should be.
    NOTE: The time it takes can vary drastically depending on numerous things just try and bare with it. Do not run any programs or browse the web while it's going on. Watch a movie, or something or just wait on it. It won't take 'Forever' I personally always 'Fully Optimize and Defrag' then check the 'Shutdown after Defragging' option to the left when I'm through with the PC for the day/night. Though it can be altered to put the PC to sleep or go into hibernate as well. Simply click on the words instead of the checkbox to see the menu.

3a. Close Smart Defrag and make sure there is no 'System Tray' icon in the bottom right of the screen. If there is right click it and click 'Exit'.

3TIME. About15-75 MINS

4. Open Glary Utilities and navigate to the '1 Click Maintenance' tab if you are not there already and click on 'Scan for Issues'.

4a. When it is done click 'Repair Problems'.

4b. Close Glary Utilities and make sure there is no 'System Tray' icon in the bottom right of the screen.

4TIME. About 3-6 MINS

NOTE: Pay closer attention to these last steps! Almost done

Open Advanced System Care and apply any 'first time setup' options you need to.

5a. Click on 'Deep Care' and in the bottom right click on the arrow to the left of the 'Scan Now' option and click on 'Scan and Repair'. Then just sit back and wait. Alternatively you can click on 'Scan Now' then once it's done you can review the 'problems' BEFORE it auto repairs them.

NOTES:
    The 'Vulnerability Fix' box/option towards the bottom of the list downloads AND installs Windows Updates for you, a very useful option but since I don't use certain programs I often uncheck certain updates. (eg. 'Internet Explorer Security Update' I use Mozilla Firefox.) So it's best that if that box is checked you click ONLY 'Scan Now' INSTEAD of 'Scan and Repair' in-case you simply do not need some of them. I personally manually update my Windows. This one's up to you, for gaming I don't using it regularly advise it. But it does work and do what it says it does.

The 'Disk Defragment' box/option at the very bottom I usually uncheck. It takes to long for gaming and as long as you use the 'Smart Defrag' 'Defrag and Fully Optimize' as often as necessary you don't need it.

Concerning the 'Quick Care' option I just would not use seeing as you are looking to maximize your gaming performance as much as possible. It's not broken or anything, just Deep Care is the better choice for gaming and isn't that much longer.

5b. Close Advanced System Care.

5TIME. 2-10+ MINS

6. Open Game Booster and click the red writing below 'Start Boost' that reads: 'Configure'. Now Click on the 'processes' tab. It may already be the default 'window' so it may already be open. Check as many as possible. I check them ALL while I'm playing. Then go to 'unnecessary services' and select them all again. Then go to 'Non-Windows Services' and as usual click most of them, if not all of them.

Then go to 'others' and click them all too... GB3 features a unique feature that disables which 'windows' explorer while you're playing which is a very big boost to resources. Yes, it IS NORMAL WHEN EVERY THING DISAPPEARS, that means it's working. Now for it to work here's what you do... Go ahead and hit apply then follow '6a.'.

6a. Click 'Switch to Gamebox' and start TATW If it's not there... add it. This is a unique feature of GB to store all of your game icons. To add it 'click 'Add +' then over on the left column of the new window click on 'Desktop' and simply select 'Third Age Total War'. Then when ready to start click on the TATW icon in the 'Gamebox' and click 'Boost & Launch'.

6NOTE. If for whatever reason something goes wrong and requires tweaking the following keys will revert back to 'default' and start 'explorer.exe' again. (the app that makes Windows Aero run): 'CTRL+ALT+R' and voila! Everything is back to normal, in a worst case scenario restart the computer or 'CTRL+ALT+DELETE' and select 'task manager' and select 'New' and in the field type 'explorer.exe' without quotations.

6ADVICE.
    If you cannot get TATW icon into Gamebox try this. Drag GB near TATW icon so they're side-by-side. Make sure it's configured properly (GB) then click 'Start Boost' but before it finishes double-click TATW and start it and voila GB starts with TATW. Even if you don't see it start, as long as you see GB's little red bar move some before you start TATW you can be sure it started. This might take a time or two before you get familiar with it.

6BUG. It appears the 'Gamebox' does not support shortcuts at this time. My advice on this: under 'Configure' and the 'Others' tab uncheck the 'Launch Game on Game Desktop' and 'Explorer.exe' options if this annoys you. I still get by with it checked as it 'explorer.exe' uses about 100MB of memory usage so I like every bit possible.

6TIME. 1MIN

7. DO NOT FORGET TO DISABLE GAMEBOOSTER AFTER PLAYING!

7TIME. >1MIN

NOTES:

Now this is not the limit of 'Glary Utilities' and 'Advanced System Care'. They have numerous other functions that will aid your computer but this is what will help most. But do take the time to explore them.

What makes Gamebooster so good is that it works by closing numerous insignificant apps and optimizing your RAM.

DON'T FORGET TO UPDATE THOSE DRIVERS ON YOUR COMPUTER! You can actually see if your Video card or Audio card needs to be updated by opening Gamebooster and in the left list click on 'Game Drivers' and then click the red writing that says 'Rescan' Then if there is an update just click on it, then click 'Go to download page'. It also tells you your specs.

Now start the game and enjoy! When you're done playing simply right click on the Gamebooster icon in the bottom left and click 'Return to Normal Mode and Exit' (if 'explorer.exe' is closed via the check box you must 'CTRL+ALT+R to revert back to the way it was'. Then open up Advanced System Care and click on 'Turbo Boost' again and then close them both.

How often should you perform these? I perform the Glary Utilities' Scans and Advanced System Care's Scans and do the Gamebooster every single time I play TATW. Seeing as when you get off the web or do pretty much anything there is something that can be 'cleaned'. Do the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's Scans very seldom. Do the Smart Defrag 'Deep Optimize' as often as possible. Don't worry, the first time is the longest. The more often it's done the faster it gets so to speak. Depends on how many new files are added to your computer. I use it so regularly on my PC it finishes in a few seconds if I haven't added or installed any new files. And I don't even use my PC as much as most gamers.

NOTE: If your computer gets shut off during gameplay and Gamebooster is active when your Computer comes back on open go to 'Start' > 'Control Panel' > 'System and Security' > 'Power Settings' > and then choose the appropriate one. It is usually 'High Performance'. Or on XP it MAY be Home/Office...

This works with all games and is great for the computer in general

My Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz Quad-Core
    Memory (RAM) 12.00 GB DDR3 (8 GB of which is 'Corsair Vengeance' memory plus 4 GB of factory memory)
    ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1024MB DDR5
    Gaming graphics 3327 MB Total available graphics memory
    Primary hard disk 1TB Total Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Score in 'Windows experience index':
    Processor: 7.1
    Memory: (RAM) 7.2
    Graphics: 7.4
    Gaming graphics 7.4
    Primary hard disk: 5.9*

All scores are out of 7.9.

*On Windows 7 there is apparently some sort of misconfiguration, as I have searched this and often some hard drives cannot achieve a score higher than 5.9. Because I upgraded to a better one but it said the score went down, if anyone else has this it should be noted it does NOT matter. It's purely a cosmetic bug in Windows, it will NOT affect it's performance.

NOTE: The 'Windows Experience Index' is not a reliable source of info. Just here for as much info as possible on my PC. DO NOT rely on it or go by it's calculations.

Give me feedback on these! Post your thoughts about them and tell me if they helped!

Hope this helps

NOTE: If you need help with ANY of these programs simply post here and I will answer them. Even after a year of originally writing this I still update it and check it for questions so speak up if you need help! (though if you do not hear from me feel free to drop me a VM/PM here on TWC. Though wait a day or so as I prefer users' quarries to be here so other users can see it as it may also answer their question.

NOTE2: I am not liable if the programs some how set fire to your keyboard

Cheers! -Trailhog250

Last edited by Trailhog250; August 07, 2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Updated for ASC 5 changes. Definitely worth a re-read...

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Want faster Computer/Gaming/TATW performance? Want more FPS?

Good job mate.

I think this should be moved to the guides section though.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

I will try it out when i need it Nicely done man! i got a feeling that this is gonna help alot of TATW players

OMG

rep's on me dude!!!

liek all week!!!

(dont feel wierd if i rep every one of your posts in general).

"By what right does the wolf judge the lion?"

Muffer Nl's Avatar Praefectus

Guides resources and art

Quote Originally Posted by el Cid View Post
    Good job mate.

I think this should be moved to the guides section though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffer Nl View Post
    Guides resources and art

Yes I had a feeling that's where it might should have been put but I wasn't quite sure. Doesn't a moderator have to move it?

Anyway thanks for the feedback these have been invaluable to me

thanks, will definitely give these a try

Quote Originally Posted by galdre View Post
    thanks, will definitely give these a try

You really should

Wont make any difference unless someone is running win98 with dozens of spyware and viruses infested on C

Quote Originally Posted by Baleurion View Post
    Wont make any difference unless someone is running win98 with dozens of spyware and viruses infested on C

WRONG

Do you have any idea what these programs do?! These are not for old outdated W98 PCs! As a matter of fact, these are just as valuable to High-End-PCs as they are Low-End-PCs.

Take it from me, I've run it on my Gaming Machine versus an old WXP outdated junker. (Not WXP just extremely weak specs being a 32MB vid card )

When you install programs and open folders do you think Microsoft cleans up after itself? No it does not

As a matter of fact, after opening just 1 or 2 files and getting on the net +opening 4 or 5 folders it needed to be defragged and optimized. It had gotten 0.03% fragmented just from that. You really do not know how much these help, after installing/uninstalling do you know how many Registry problems there are? These are top of the line programs. If you don't use these it's a real shame

Gamebooster itself optimizes the RAM and cleans it. Closes out ALOT of useless windows services. I know what they do and will continue to use them on my weakest computers and my strongest ones.

No offense intended, but they help drastically

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

i'm getting this for mysel... assap... +rep man

Quote Originally Posted by Minas Moth View Post
    i'm getting this for mysel... assap... +rep man
    Good, good

Every computer user should use these, regardless of how new or old it is.
    Do post back and see if there is change when playing. (Other people as well) Won't be ALOT but it should be smoother and less stuttery anyway

Like I said, do not try and max everything out because of these, these programs will just see to it that your computer runs at peak efficiency when playing. (For if they didn't help I wouldn't use them on my computer)

Was the instructions to easy follow? I tried to make them as nice and detailed as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250 View Post
    Was the instructions to easy follow? I tried to make them as nice and detailed as I could.
    No worries, the one who can't follow these, can't even play TATW.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by [SMoKE] View Post
    No worries, the one who can't follow these, can't even play TATW.

Thank you!

Good, I aimed this at the most un-learned PC users

Though the programs I recommend to EVERYONE. The tutorial will help those who do not understand them

did u mean to say "a short tutorial on how to sue them" or "a short tutorial on how to use them"?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

Sorry I'll change that. This isn't about 'suing' anyone

When I start typing and Mozilla doesn't detect I spelled it wrong because sue is a word as use is so I made a typo. +rep for noticing

i thought you were making a joke and i was going to look like an idiot for asking. thanks for the stuff in the OP, though, plus rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    My point is that, while pastries are delicious, they are not a factor in deciding whether or not to start a rebellion against the lord of the realm.
    do leave your name if you give me rep. i may just return the favor. maybe.
    please visit the Tale of the Week forum at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802 for brilliant writing, people, and brownies. with nuts, if you prefer.

I just know there are alot of people that don't know how easy it is to make their computer run like it should at peak efficiency

Which of the program will disable desktop Themes for max performance? I'd like to still have those themes or perhaps one of the programs automatically disables theme when opening a game the enabling them after the game is closed?
    My Ukulele Cover of Death Note L's Theme
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhP70qHqsVg

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast