Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Crashes and how to fix them

Titus le Chmakus's Avatar Biarchus
    Skiing on the Spine of the World or hunting in Lurkwood

Default Re: Crashes and how to fix them

I found out that it is my EDCT or EVNVS that is bugged. Any idea what could it be exactly as the ATVTW does not detect any error ?

I've replaced all the IsGeneral by AgentType = named character in my traits triggers. Can this be the cause of the crash ?
    Last edited by Titus le Chmakus; September 16, 2016 at 03:47 AM.

Titus le Chmakus's Avatar Biarchus
    Skiing on the Spine of the World or hunting in Lurkwood

Hi

Another problem, so I hope it does not count as double posting (btw I solved the problem above) :

I have graphical issues. I just don't know where does it come from. When I get onto the strat map, if I do not press "printscreen", when I move the map from the starting position, eighther by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen or by clicking on the minimap, it freezes and crashes most of the time. The log only says the mod has crashed (even with * error).
    If I press "printscreen", then it makes the mod work fine most of the time. It also sometimes happen by itself, but after the screen had become black, then had the loading bar again. And some other times, when the game works fine because of one of these two reasons, it can still crash without warning.

Any idea where it could come from ?

Edit Problem solved, it came from some regions being too big. We had to split them to solve the problem.
    Last edited by Titus le Chmakus; January 30, 2017 at 07:23 AM.

My game is crashing due to an out of memory error. It occurs every time I try to modify any of the "symbols#.tga.dds" files (data/banners) and convert them to just tga files. I'm using Photoshop; as I couldn't get the dds plugin for Gimp to work.

I've looked and looked, but I can't find a post that says what settings to use with Photoshop to make usable tga files. It would be nice if there was a sticky on how to set up (and/or use) Photoshop for working with dds, tga. texture, mesh, etc.

It should also be mentioned (within a starting post) that modifying the *.tga.dds is pointless within mods; as the game looks for the tga's and then goes to the main directory for the *.tga.dds files. I did read that somewhere; but it was buried deep in a thread.

So, in the meantime I'll continue to dig around and continue with my Photoshop trial and errors...

SK

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

'out of video memory' - this simply means that the default texture for a CAS file is not present. In a trace log it will also tell which CAS file is effected, then simply open the CAS file with Notepad and check at the bottom the path, name and extension of the texture and make sure it's present.

GIMP (the latest version) has a DDS plug in already build in. You simply open the DDS file without mip maps and then save it as TGA with the default settings. To save it again as DDS choose the DTX5\BC3 setting with mip maps.

I have no clue which of the dozen or so permutations in Photoshop might be the right setting for TGAs as they are used by the game other then that it has to be 32 bit.

Okay, I'm having some serious issues here. I'm close to releasing the next alpha of my mod but there are random and totally unpredictable crashes during battle with no errors in the log and therefore no info retrieval. I have narrowed down the problem to artillery units (that is at least, what I think is causing the most crashes); whenever I look directly at an artillery unit, from a certain angle, the game crashes and the exe reports the usual "[system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal." in the middle of a battle. The battle itself loads fine, the models show up in game with correct textures and skeletons, and the battle itself is playable, it is a matter of moving the camera around that causes this type of crash. It happens with several units and at this point it's becoming incresingly problematic. Creating new artillery models from scratch again doesnt seem to solve anything either.
    So I'm kind of stuck at the moment: I ask for suggestions.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I've encountered a similar crash but it's probably not related. The problem on my end was the captain-general model (the leader of the army). Try replacing it and see if makes any difference. As I said it's probably not related but the circumstances were identical so it might be a good idea to try

Blog Entries

I go a bit further with jurcek's train of thought: check if you are using custom officer entries in the EDU as well.
    Default captain\general battle models are set in the descr_characters file.

Simple test: use only two units of the same artillery in a custom battle, space them far apart and check if both crash: only one will have a captain\general model attached.

I have been doing some more tests tonight. It seems that the custom general \ captain is not the problem. My tests are as follows:

grassy flatlands - 2 units of artillery, separated as you suggest. No crashes.
    grassy flatlands - 1 unit of artillery, 1 unit of line infantry. No crashes.
    grassy flatlands - 2 units of artillery, 2 units of line infantry. Crash as soon as I move away, or when I group the units in a single spot.

So now I'm thinking that the number of polygons could be a problem. Or the number of men in a unit. But it still seems a stretch because I've been careful in that regard.
    My Mods and Projects

- Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures

Blog Entries

Polygon numbers are a possibility - what's the count of the involved units? I believe around 900-1300 triangles is average for a LOD0 model.

Another thought: moving away = switch of LOD model, maybe the LOD1 model is defective?
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 19, 2017 at 07:06 AM.

I use only one LOD, LOD0, with a viewing distance of 6400. Then sprites appear.

The infantryman that I'm using as a test has 2514 polygons, while the artilleryman has 1953 polygons. I think I'll try to reduce the viewing distance and see what happens.
    My Mods and Projects

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Oh no that shouldn't be the cause, I have a few units imported from M&B that have 30.000+ triangles and they never caused a crash. All they do is make the game laggy from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by jurcek1987 View Post
    Oh no that shouldn't be the cause, I have a few units imported from M&B that have 30.000+ triangles and they never caused a crash. All they do is make the game laggy from time to time
    And yet... once I've set the viewing distance to 2000, everything works correctly. The crashes are now solved. It really seems that the number of polygons was the cause. I'm not sure why, but at least now everything's working as intended.
    My Mods and Projects

The Great Khan of Rome's Avatar Civis

Hellos. Ive tried to replace the mesoamerican weapon animations to that of swords. The modeldb checker says that there is no errors, but every time that i have launched it, it comes up with a black screen and a blank error message which crashes to the desktop. If you want some info, im trying to replace this
    1 4 None
    9 MTW2_Mace 0
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield 0
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    , with this
    1 4 None
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 0
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield 0
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Any help on this?

Blog Entries

1. Which editor do you use?
    2. Have you made sure there is a space at the end of each line?
    3. Have you confirmed this is what causes the error by reversing the edit?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

spawn_army can randomly CTD when spawning for the slave faction. This thread suggests that it might only be when using "general" instead of "named character" types but, as also said there, it might be because a "traits" line was being used for a "general" type (in which case this CTD might not be limited to slave spawns).

I am having some trouble with, well... I have no idea what,
    I "addided two new factions" via editing the Saxons and the Normans. All is good. Then I go to the Custom Battle, and...
    I can select units, but if I take too long, the game crashes. CTDs. To be specific, it gets a loading bar first, then the CTD. It is completely random, sometimes the CTD comes seconds later, sometimes I am fast enough to get an actual battle. What the...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    17:39:08.357 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/menu/DUMP0000.BIK]Pause on
    17:39:08.411 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

17:39:08.533 [system.io] [trace] file open,,0CAE0B20,328227
    17:39:08.534 [system.io] [info] open: found data/fonts/font_14.cuf (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.536 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga
    17:39:08.536 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds
    17:39:08.536 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.536 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga
    17:39:08.537 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.537 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.537 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_0.pack,data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.537 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.537 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga,262188
    17:39:08.537 [system.io] [info] open: found data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.587 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/shared.sd (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.587 [system.io] [trace] file open,,03514E78,88020
    17:39:08.587 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/shared.sd (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.588 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_01.tga
    17:39:08.588 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_01.tga
    17:39:08.588 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_01.tga
    17:39:08.588 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_01.tga,1048620
    17:39:08.588 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_01.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.590 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_00.tga
    17:39:08.590 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_00.tga
    17:39:08.590 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_00.tga
    17:39:08.590 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_00.tga,1048620
    17:39:08.591 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_00.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.592 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/northern_european/interface/editor_shared01.tga
    17:39:08.592 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/northern_european/interface/editor_shared01.tga
    17:39:08.592 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/southern_european/interface/editor_shared01.tga
    17:39:08.592 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/southern_european/interface/editor_shared01.tga,262188
    17:39:08.592 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/southern_european/interface/editor_shared01.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.593 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_british_isles_02.tga
    17:39:08.593 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_british_isles_02.tga
    17:39:08.593 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_british_isles_02.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.593 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_british_isles_02.tga,5460
    17:39:08.593 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/Bare_Geomod/data/ui/southern_european/interface/sharedpage_british_isles_02.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.634 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/fmv/menu/DUMP0000.BIK
    17:39:08.635 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/menu/DUMP0000.BIK]Open
    17:39:08.661 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/menu/DUMP0000.BIK]Pause off
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/slider_composite.tga
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/slider_composite.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/slider_composite2.tga
    17:39:08.663 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/slider_composite2.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/slider_composite.tga
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/slider_composite.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.664 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/text_border.tga
    17:39:08.665 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/text_border.tga.dds
    17:39:08.665 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/text_border.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.665 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga
    17:39:08.665 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds
    17:39:08.665 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.665 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga
    17:39:08.665 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.666 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/unit_card.tga
    17:39:08.667 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds
    17:39:08.667 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/unit_card.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.667 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/icons.tga
    17:39:08.667 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/menu/icons.tga.dds
    17:39:08.667 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/menu/icons.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.667 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/cursor.tga
    17:39:08.767 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga
    17:39:08.768 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.768 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.768 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.768 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.768 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga,65580
    17:39:08.768 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.769 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/slider_composite.tga
    17:39:08.769 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.769 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.769 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.769 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.769 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/slider_composite.tga,65580
    17:39:08.769 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/slider_composite.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.770 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/slider_composite2.tga
    17:39:08.770 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.770 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.770 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.770 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.770 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/slider_composite2.tga,65580
    17:39:08.770 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/slider_composite2.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.771 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga
    17:39:08.771 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.771 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.771 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.771 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.771 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga,65580
    17:39:08.771 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.772 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/text_border.tga
    17:39:08.772 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/text_border.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.772 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/text_border.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.772 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/text_border.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.772 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/text_border.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.772 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/text_border.tga,274
    17:39:08.772 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/text_border.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.773 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga
    17:39:08.773 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.773 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.773 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.773 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.773 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga,108
    17:39:08.773 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.774 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga
    17:39:08.777 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.778 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.778 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.778 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.780 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga,65580
    17:39:08.781 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.782 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga
    17:39:08.782 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.782 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.782 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.782 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.783 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga,65580
    17:39:08.783 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.783 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga
    17:39:08.783 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.783 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.783 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.784 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.784 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga,65580
    17:39:08.784 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.784 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/unit_card.tga
    17:39:08.785 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.785 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.785 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.785 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.785 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/unit_card.tga,65580
    17:39:08.786 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/unit_card.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    17:39:08.786 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/Bare_Geomod/data/menu/icons.tga
    17:39:08.786 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/icons.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.786 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/localized.pack,data/menu/icons.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.787 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_1.pack,data/menu/icons.tga.dds,,not found
    17:39:08.787 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/icons.tga.dds is missing
    17:39:08.787 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/menu/icons.tga,262188
    17:39:08.787 [system.io] [info] open: found data/menu/icons.tga (from: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)

Also, this is mostly a problem in the High era.
    I don't seem to get CTDs in the Early and Late era.

Video recording of the error:

EDIT: I found out that the crash only happens if I however over the icon of the unit "Mounted Crossbowmen", but no idea why.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type Mounted Crossbowmen
    dictionary Mounted_Crossbowmen ; Mounted Crossbowmen
    category cavalry
    class missile
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_cavalry
    banner holy crusade_cavalry
    soldier Mounted_Crossbowmen, 32, 0, 1
    mount fast pony
    mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, cantabrian_circle, crossbow
    formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 3, square
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 5, 1, crossbow_bolt, 120, 30, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr ap
    stat_sec 7, 2, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 5, 5, 0, metal
    ;stat_armour_ex 5, 7, 0, 0, 5, 0, 0, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 4
    stat_ground 0, -2, -4, 0
    stat_mental 3, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 45
    stat_fire_delay 18
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 470, 175, 90, 70, 470, 4, 110
    armour_ug_levels 2, 3
    armour_ug_models Mounted_Crossbowmen, Mounted_Crossbowmen_ug1
    ownership england, france, hre, spain, venice, sicily, milan, scotland, denmark, normans, saxons, portugal, poland, hungary, slave, papal_states
    era 1 england, france, hre, spain, venice, sicily, milan, scotland, denmark, normans, saxons, portugal, poland, hungary, slave, papal_states
    era 2 england, france, hre, spain, venice, sicily, milan, scotland, denmark, normans, saxons, portugal, poland, hungary, slave, papal_states
    Last edited by Reimu Hakurei; June 30, 2017 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries

The icon find is peculiar - a crash can happen if the pic is not of standard size or has a wrong format. I am however guessing that you didn't do anything in that area, else I would suggest to delete that pic from your mod and try again.

The video suggests it might be related to the 'faction selecting' crash, eg when selecting factions too many times or switching back and forth in the menu. Does this happen also when you go straight to the setting and hover over the unit's icon?

Turns out, the error was caused by the mount being missing. After I fixed the model database, the error was completely gone and everything works fine just fine now.

Blog Entries

I wonder if that would have been in the log. Glad you figured it out.