Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Faction - Byzantine Empire

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

Default Re: Faction - Roman Empire

Sarmatian did after a long debate -
    some rule about faction names
    - we wont use any other alphabets except latin
    - we will use anglicized names (eg. Kingdom of Serbia, Ottomans Empire )

If we use anglicanized names then we should use Byzantine Empire or Kingdom of Romans but not Roman Empire because is very easy connected to the Rome and Italy.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Quote Originally Posted by tzar View Post
    If we use anglicanized names then we should use Byzantine Empire or Kingdom of Romans but not Roman Empire because is very easy connected to the Rome and Italy.
    connected by who ? it very clearly said that is timescale of our mod. ill send you a pm to clear things out.

Quote Originally Posted by matko View Post
    Sarmatian did after a long debate -
    some rule about faction names
    - we wont use any other alphabets except latin
    - we will use anglicized names (eg. Kingdom of Serbia, Ottomans Empire )
    And why is that? I mean, why should we use "anglicized names"? I didnt use anglicized names for the cities on the map, and suddenly we should use those for faction names?
    Last edited by il_duce_!; February 03, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

TTW GRANDMASTER

do you want names in native languages ?
    For Serbia in old Serbian on old Cyrillic alphabet ?
    In Greek for Byzantine/Romans ?
    Italian ( but Venetian special form of Italian ) for Venice ?
    Turkish ( in Arabic alphabet ) for Ottomans ?

Where would that bring us ?

PS
    What for Timurids ?? In old-Mongol ?

We can transcribe it. I mean, I did that for all the cities, our historians should do that for those factions. I already transcribed some of the faction names for Feudalism Total War, but I dont know where that list is.

I think that Sarmatian is just lazy!

BTW. Latin names were used in that time for all western factions.
    I found something that we can use: Regnum Pontificium for Pope.
    Last edited by il_duce_!; February 03, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

TTW GRANDMASTER

yea lets burn the Sarmat !
    (komplicramo bez razloga)
    Last edited by Matthæus; February 03, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Anyway, I dont want to bother with that kind of things, I got better things to do. If I find that list, I will post it in dev forum. However, for the record, I strongly object to use english names. As the matter of fact, I dont want to see them in Tsardoms.

TTW GRANDMASTER

transcribing can be done. it seems that we need a vote. but not here - in dev section. someone will set a pool tomorrow.

Yes, its a little bit complicated for some factions, but we can always ask someone, and besides, all mods are using those transcribed names.

TTW GRANDMASTER

Ok, I found some names that I used for FTW:

Basileia Rhomaike - Byz

Kraievstvo Srblem - Kingdom of Serbia

Regnum Hungariae - Kingdom of Hungary

etc.

It isnt so much difficult, as you can see.
    Last edited by il_duce_!; February 03, 2008 at 06:11 PM.

TTW GRANDMASTER

I very much appreciate the title change for the Empire. Thanks!
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.

Sarmatian's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by il_duce_! View Post
    Ok, I found some names that I used for FTW:

Basileia Rhomaike - Byz

Kraievstvo Srblem - Kingdom of Serbia

Regnum Hungariae - Kingdom of Hungary

etc.

It isnt so much difficult, as you can see.
    Basileia Rhomaike is a transliteration to latin alphabet. Not a native name. Βασιλεια των Ρωμαιων is the native name.

Kraievstvo Srblem is not a faction in TTW. The faction is serbian empire - Srbsko Carstvo. But that is again latin transliteration. The correct, in old serbian would be Срьбьскъo цѣсарьство. And actually, that also wouldn't be totally proper since internally serbian rulers assumed the title "Kings/Emperors of the Serbs", not "Kings/Emperors of Serbia". It's a subtle distinction but it is still there.

Regnum Hungarie is actually latin, not hungarian. The native name would be Magyar Királyság, or even better, Szent István Koronájának Országai.

Now try writing those names every time you refer to those factions, it's just complicating things. Now, keep in mind that these terms are used only during development. That doesn't mean that they will be like that in the mod. My plan was actually to use native names of factions, units, cities etc... , but provide a hotfix that would change all that stuff to english for people who find it hard to play with foreing names. Keep in mind that a lot of people who play this mod aren't gonna be able to find there way with native names. I remembered when I first played EB, I got confused with all cities like Quer'Bi'Qathardasts (or whatever), and units like hentarakaroi, pezonomotokoirionimikoi blah blah blah. Reading description every time when I wanted to see what that unit was about was a big in the overall enjoyment.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Basileia Rhomaike is a transliteration to latin alphabet. Not a native name. Βασιλεια των Ρωμαιων is the native name.
    Yes, but more people can read the transliteration! Actually, the experience of Europa Barbarorum has shown that people really appreciate the use of transliterated native languages. I certainly do!

An alternative name that you might consider for the Byzantines is Romania. I've been reading the epic poem of Digenis Akritis recently, and that is something that the empire is consistently called. Indeed, it was because many Byzantines fled to Wallachia and Moldavia after 1453 that the Turks referred to those areas as 'Romania'.

The transliterated native languages do work quite well IMHO. It takes a bit of time to get used to, but in the end it makes it more enjoyable and really deepends gameplay

Looking forward to seeing this mod in action, its an exciting prospect. I would also suggest not getting to stuck on details early on

Manuel Komnenos's Avatar Senator

Agree with Zenith, after all he is from Oxford so he know good this thematic. In fact if we will complicate make Hungary - Lands of St. Stephen. Matko know this very good.
    Why we dig up the past? To understand it.

The_Bulgar_Slayer's Avatar Biarchus

For all you Byzantine lovers out there, here are some faction and city specific buildings. The effects of them are not final. If you have any more ideas for important Byzantine buildings at the time, just let us know. Thanks.

Constantinople
    Land Walls of Constantinople: Huge Stone Walls, allows burning oil(greek fire) and public order due to happiness of 20%
    Hagia Sophia: Religious conversion to Orthodoxy +20%, public order bonus due to happiness of 20%
    Golden Horn: Allows recruitment of Fire Dromons and Pamphyloi, increase in tradable goods, trade income +50%
    Palace of Blachernae: Public order bonus due to law of 10%
    Hippodrome:(although not in use, brings back memories of glory days) public order bonus due to happiness of 5%
    Column of Constantine:(actually column of Justinian, but they thought it was Constantine) public order bonus due to happiness of 5%
    Colony of Galata: Trade income -85%, public order bonus of -20%

Thessaloniki
    Hagios Demetrios: Religious conversion to Orthodoxy +15%, public order bonus due to happiness of 15%

General Buildings:
    Pronoia Land Grant 1: Allows recruitment of Oikonomia, decrease in tax income -5%
    Pronoia Land Grant 2: Allows recruitment of Stratiotai, decrease in tax income -10%
    Pronoia Land Grant 3: Allows recruitment of Kavallarioi, decrease in tax income -15%
    Pronoia Land Grant 4: Allows recruitment of Dynatoi, decrease in tax income -20%
    Turkish Mercenary Recruitment Building: Allows recruitment of Tourkoi Toxotai and Tourkopouloi Hippotoxotai, public order bonus -10%, decrease in tax income -5%, Religious conversion to Islam +5%

Official Byzantine Historian for Tzardoms:Total War

Order of ranks in the Byzantine Empire as of 1355( and almost certainly the same as in 1345):

1. Basileus - Emperor
    2. Despotes - Head of a Despotate
    3. Sebastokrator - signified close relationship with Emperor
    4. Kaisar - heir apparent(usually ceremonial at this time)
    5. Megas Domestikos - overall commander of the army
    6. Megas Doux - overall commander of the navy
    7. Protostrator - deputy commander of the army
    8. Megas Stratopedarches - commander of the militia & master of the camp, arms, and supplies

Default Re: Faction - Byzantine Empire

Check out this site, it really brings Byzantine Constantinople to life!

http://www.byzantium1200.com/contents.html

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Re: Faction - Byzantine Empire

Tsardoms "Απόλυτος Πόλεμος'(free translation)....sounds really cool....
    Balkan peninsula is one of the most complicated and interesting areas and it would have been challenging to play with the Roman Empire in that period of time....really looking forward...

@The_Bulgar_Slayer

the site was astonishing.........what to say it brings back to life all these buildings.....it is GREAT +rep from me...
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões