Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Portugal - Faction Thread.

zedestroyer's Avatar Biarchus

Default Trade Theaters

I would like to know if Portugal will have fleets in all 4 trade theaters.

Default Re: Trade Theaters

If they send fleets, they will...if they don't they won't
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Tiro

Default Re: Trade Theaters

I think they have a province in south america, which would have a fleet nearby so they'll be able to acess the south american trade theatre quickly if they send their fleet there fast.
    Btw portugual isn't a playable faction, it must be modded to play it.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Portugal - Faction Thread.

Merged threads.

I'm not Portuguese but I was very disappointed when I found out that Brazil wasn't included in the game, just what were they thinking exactly? I was very much looking forward to playing as the Portuguese as I find them quite intriguing as they amassed such a big empire with such a small country. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Wallyer View Post
    I'm not Portuguese but I was very disappointed when I found out that Brazil wasn't included in the game, just what were they thinking exactly? I was very much looking forward to playing as the Portuguese as I find them quite intriguing as they amassed such a big empire with such a small country. Oh well
    It certainly wasnt by having a minor AI, but that didnt stop CA from making the second biggest empire in 1700, and one of the richest, an unplayable faction with a cut down version AI.

Oh well thats life, i guess we all thought the historical argument would be more than enough to guarantee a place for portugal, but well have to wait until Brazil becomes a superpower.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

I'm not Portuguese but I was very disappointed when I found out that Brazil wasn't included in the game, just what were they thinking exactly?

Read this, it´s about historicians and the Atlantic World as historical concept, during the 18th century:
    In the review of Review of of Bernard Baylin´s book: “Atlantic History: Concept and Contours” Timothy Coates wrote:

"The sources listed are overwhelmingly in English, with a couple of French and Spanish works cited as well. Notably absent in a work of this scope are any Portuguese-language sources.
    It should not come as a surprise to the reader that the Portuguese presence in Professor Bailyn’s Atlantic World is minimal, if not altogether absent.

Professor Bailyn’s Atlantic is thus profoundly British, and very northern. In a nutshell, this is the work’s major problem. While expressly stating that Atlantic history is greater than the sum of its parts, Professor Bailyn really focuses on one, British or Anglo-American dimension, over the course of the eighteenth century.

Whenever he gives examples, he turns to British North America, occasionally mentioning Spain and its empire. Even if we limit the reading list to works in English and French, there exists a sufficient enough number of studies on the Portuguese in the Atlantic to help fill the huge gaps in Professor Bailyn’s Atlantic overview. Let me begin by asking a fundamental question not addressed in this work: who created this Atlantic World and when?...

And because Professor Bailyn has overlooked Brazil as an important component of the Atlantic, he has also missed links between the Atlantic and central and southern Africa.
    Each time he mentions Africa, it is West Africa. Angola, the famous black mother of Brazil, is totally absent. These criticisms mean only that the work does not live up to its title.

Regardless, "Atlantic History: Concepts and Contours" is an engaging and sweeping view of much of the available literature in English about a mostly British North America.

It would have been more accurate to label the book “The British Atlantic in the Eighteenth Century

-----------

As you can see...
    Last edited by Ludicus; February 28, 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Read this, it´s about historicians and the Atlantic World as historical concept, during the 18th century:
    In the review of Review of of Bernard Baylin´s book: “Atlantic History: Concept and Contours” Timothy Coates wrote:

"The sources listed are overwhelmingly in English, with a couple of French and Spanish works cited as well. Notably absent in a work of this scope are any Portuguese-language sources.
    It should not come as a surprise to the reader that the Portuguese presence in Professor Bailyn’s Atlantic World is minimal, if not altogether absent.

Professor Bailyn’s Atlantic is thus profoundly British, and very northern. In a nutshell, this is the work’s major problem. While expressly stating that Atlantic history is greater than the sum of its parts, Professor Bailyn really focuses on one, British or Anglo-American dimension, over the course of the eighteenth century.

Whenever he gives examples, he turns to British North America, occasionally mentioning Spain and its empire. Even if we limit the reading list to works in English and French, there exists a sufficient enough number of studies on the Portuguese in the Atlantic to help fill the huge gaps in Professor Bailyn’s Atlantic overview. Let me begin by asking a fundamental question not addressed in this work: who created this Atlantic World and when?...

And because Professor Bailyn has overlooked Brazil as an important component of the Atlantic, he has also missed links between the Atlantic and central and southern Africa.
    Each time he mentions Africa, it is West Africa. Angola, the famous black mother of Brazil, is totally absent. These criticisms mean only that the work does not live up to its title.

Regardless, "Atlantic History: Concepts and Contours" is an engaging and sweeping view of much of the available literature in English about a mostly British North America.

It would have been more accurate to label the book “The British Atlantic in the Eighteenth Century

-----------

As you can see...

Yes, this historian is quite clearly crap but what has that got to do with my post?

Citizen

Yes, but what has that got to do with my post?
    "just what were they thinking exactly?"

For some historicians - and the same applies to CA -the importance of Brazil has been overlooked as an important component of the Atlantic history.
    This fact sheet explains why Brazil wasn´t included in the game.

I think the only reason they weren't included in the game was because CA were too busy focusing on naval and field battles to be bothered to create an accurate map.

an accurate game mind you

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    "just what were they thinking exactly?"

For some historicians - and the same applies to CA -the importance of Brazil has been overlooked as an important component of the Atlantic history.
    This fact sheet explains why Brazil wasn´t included in the game.
    I sure hope the reason SA isnt in was time and time alone.

I want to see SA in the next EII:TW the very least, if not in a patch or expansion much sooner than that.

South America was a war and colonial province of the same if not higher importance than North America, as brazil alone had a higher colonial population than NA and France Holland Spain and Portugal fought here.

Plus, with South America in, in game, portugal will be closer to the second biggest empire position in 1700, which it was in real life. And maybe then, CA will be basicly forced to include us as playable

I can just say that im amazed Portugal isnt included in the game..
    It had gained back it independence by 1700 and was again a major player in this games timeframe also.

Quote Originally Posted by Björneborgs regemente View Post
    It had gained back it independence by 1700...
    The Restoration of Independence happened in 1640. Between 1640 and 1668 Portugal fought a bloody war against the Spanish. Portugal emerged victorious and, in the treaty of Lisbon, the spanish recognized the Portuguese independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Björneborgs regemente View Post
    ...and was again a major player in this games timeframe also.
    I agree with you
    Last edited by Boicote; March 03, 2009 at 03:16 PM.

Its just stupid, why putting USA a playing faction since USA wasnt a country in 1700. Can you help me understand this decisions...

Yes, USA is a bigger market.

I'd do similarly if I was in charge over there. But still i would have rather seen Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Yes, USA is a bigger market.

I'd do similarly if I was in charge over there. But still i would have rather seen Portugal.
    I understand that but they sould have thinked in that when they setted the game year... oh well ... i guess i am just frustated for Portugal dont being in

Citizen

In the American/north european imaginary (kids/adolescents),
    Brazil = "coast of Brazil" = Master and Command.
    And that´s all.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

I'm British and it infuriates me how anglicised history is.
    And USA is a bigger market but what about making Poland a major faction in the game? What kind of crap is that?
    There are over 200 million people in the Lusophone world and only 40 million people speak Polish- and can Polish people even afford to buy computers?

... and can Polish people even afford to buy computers?
    Why not? Maybe even more than whole Brazil :hmmm:.

There are over 200 million people in the Lusophone world and only 40 million people speak Polish
    I think there are more than 40 million people with polish ancestors. Many Poles emigrated in the last two centuries to America. So there could be many more people in the US and Canada interested in playing their former homeland.

(But the Lusophone world has even then more than three or four times as much people)
    Last edited by Xerrop; March 04, 2009 at 02:40 AM.