Thread: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Default Re: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

And if everything else fails give them a military execution. To me this is also reality for the time..

Default Re: BGR-V 20150324. Byg's Grim Reality (Supply & Command Series): Guides, Updates & Optional Extras

Thanks for the advise. I trained a few assassins to solve the problem, now I am above 80-85% and priests look alright. I am ok, just don't know where to get an army for crusade without leaving my land defenseless

Comrade Byg, I have a question.
    The manual for BGRV read that "All factions' armies consume forage, even those controlled by the AI."
    Acclimatization also acts on the AI, or only on the player?
    Thank you.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi, I got an idea for a mod, I read it in ukrainian forum, and it seems to me it's great. Maybe this feature already exists in some mods, I have small experience playing them. Idea is to make possible for faction leader publish some edicts or rescripts with factionwide effects - for example call to war and when it is proclaimed you can hire some new units or even only then you can hire them at all. Like calling arrier ban in France. This edicts should be realised as buildings in capital city only, and they can be called back with annoying their effects. And some of them may be in anthagonism with each other for example. What do you think of this? I suggest this in your thread because your submod is the best with medieval realism among all.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by MuMu View Post
    Comrade Byg, I have a question.
    The manual for BGRV read that "All factions' armies consume forage, even those controlled by the AI."
    Acclimatization also acts on the AI, or only on the player?
    Thank you.
    I think it is both.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    Hi, I got an idea for a mod, I read it in ukrainian forum, and it seems to me it's great. Maybe this feature already exists in some mods, I have small experience playing them. Idea is to make possible for faction leader publish some edicts or rescripts with factionwide effects - for example call to war and when it is proclaimed you can hire some new units or even only then you can hire them at all. Like calling arrier ban in France. This edicts should be realised as buildings in capital city only, and they can be called back with annoying their effects. And some of them may be in anthagonism with each other for example. What do you think of this? I suggest this in your thread because your submod is the best with medieval realism among all.
    Well, we have a call-up already, which is when you select a unit/s and we also have factionwide effects of edicts in BGRV.

I'm not sure what you mean by "called back with annoying effects".

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "called back with annoying effects".
    I mean when you choose to destroy building "edict of war" you cannot hire some units which became avaliable when "edict of war" was build.

Hey Byg,
    I normally am fairly competent with installation, but not this time. I installed BGR IV-E not long ago without difficulties.
    But for some reason, after I choose my faction and press start, the game simply returns to the beginning menu.
    Curious, I went to reinstall at the setup and i think I discovered the issue.
    In the setup, I select your default setup options... and yet if i press the setup again (and check with options are ticked) the Gracul AI with No Mercy for BGR and the no AI starting army options are unticked... they just untick themselves over and over. Solutions???

THINGS HAVE NOW GOTTEN WORSE AND SS BROKE

I accidentally posted without finishing.. sigh... I dont know how to edit
    After several attempted setups with different settings... SS setup now has BGR IV and V perpetually ticked, unticking them has no effect. Cannot play anymore. Is there another link for the download that may work better?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    I mean when you choose to destroy building "edict of war" you cannot hire some units which became avaliable when "edict of war" was build.
    Why would you choose to destroy it if it lost you the ability to produce some units?

Quote Originally Posted by tr.igger View Post
    I accidentally posted without finishing.. sigh... I dont know how to edit
    After several attempted setups with different settings... SS setup now has BGR IV and V perpetually ticked, unticking them has no effect. Cannot play anymore. Is there another link for the download that may work better?
    I would just reinstall SS then add BGRV again. This is not something that anyone else has ever reported so we should first assume you made some mistake.

Do you have anything else installed into SS?

Sometimes things are unticked that you previously selected if you run SS setup again. I don't know why, but assuming you ran SS setup again to change something it does not actually matter.
    Last edited by Byg; April 19, 2015 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    Why would you choose to destroy it if it lost you the ability to produce some units?
    It's pretty simple. The arrier ban cannot persist forever, smallfolk wants to go back home after some moment. So if war edict last for long time, settlments order will decrease - women lost their men and want them come back, and settlement income decrease too - no workers inside.

The idea of "war edict" is simle - no one of nobles want to go to war without reason. If the war is far from their borders why should they go? They can find a good pretext to stay at home. But when king declare an edict or a law - if noble does not execute the decree he become outlaw, so he have to go to war. In ASoIaF this situation named "calling banners". So it's possible to make it in a mod, when you cannot recruit units without such edicts, or recruitment is limited. And if the edict exists too long settement turmoil grows. It's understandable, simple people doesn't like wars and martial law.

Patrician

So what prevents you building the building then recruiting the extra units you want, destroying the building and then building it again as soon as you need it, assuming this resets the time counter for the penalties being applied?

Also for this to make sense, all the units made during the edict would have to be deleted when it ends if this is supposed to represent these soldiers coming home from war.

Yes, that's the idea. For example - king may recruit expensive professional units every time, and mass smallfolk levy infantry only when war declared and edict was proclaimed. I think in real history thigs went in that way.

My main idea is to give player a sence that war is expensive and unpopular thing, so he must war fast and smart, to have a plan and think before each step and decision.

This is already in the game too.
    Knights have a high maintenance cost, but are free if they are kept in their native castles. Armies have additional expenses when they march to war, even moreso on foreign ground. Early professionals are similar to mercenaries, and I believe disbanding them in a city/castle will refill their pool. Being able to train professionals only when war is declared doesn't make any sense. If they are only trained during war, and disbanded during peace, they aren't professionals. EDIT: I think thats what you meant after re-reading your post. Sorry.

It is a good idea already to levy militias to bolster your force of professionals before marching. They are fast, cheap, and easy to train, while professionals can take up to 7 turns to train, but limiting this to only war is limiting without any good cause. If armies are away from home for long they begin to suffer pretty massive morale and command penalties. While the levies are happy to be at any home, they suffer a morale penalty when they are outside a city.

I highly recommend you try this mod. Not only has it considered elements of war you are mentioning, but its implemented them in a much more authentic and natural way, and its just scratching the surface of all the other elements of warfare it builds upon. Not that yours is a bad idea, but having this be a building feels artificial, while having them as traits on generals feels much more natural.
    Last edited by teks; April 19, 2015 at 03:02 PM.

Yes, that's not good for me to write suggestions without playing mod itself ) At this moment I have no time for it because I'm making my own submod. And in my submod this idea has no sence, because everybody are already warring with each other and most of common people are in the army now. And about professionals - my idea is to recruit them anytime, and common people only after martial law.

Out of curiosity - has someone managed to complete/win a campaign with BGR V on VH/VH so far? Before reinstalling my Windows I had an English campaign in which I hardly managed to defeat the Scots but my French expedition was going nowhere. So I guess what was keeping me alive was the relatevely safe position on the island. I'm pretty sure I could survive but I tried to find a finished campaign on the tube and I didn't find. It's very challenging indeed but I hoped to see someone doing it. At least the experience would be immense

Since I'm back and looking at continuing work on my submod, I thought I'd ask - on average, in number of turns, how long do people play their campaigns for? I'm considering shifting the time-frame to cover 1194ad-1238ad. With 12 turns per year, this covers 44 years and gives us 516 turns. The goal is to end the gameplay before the Mongol invasion of Europe, since I'm not fond of using faction slots on factions the player might never see in-game. I'd also exclude the Teutonic Order rather than have them as an emergent faction, which frees up another slot for a playable faction (they'd appear around 1230ad, 432 turns in - depending upon the situation, it could look really odd for the Teutonic Order to be called to crusade in the Baltic...).

Hey Byg. I can confirm it was the download, after a third or fourth attempt downloading and applying it it worked.
    Decided to start as the English for now, play it safe, or as safe as you can on BGR V hah
    Two questions, I apologize if they've already been answered in the manual, I couldn't find anything on these in it.
    What is the M in generals names? I'm so curious of what this new M+0 thing is!
    Also, this is a general gameplay question I've always wanted to ask. I tend to get really confused about noble expenses and a lot of the time cant work out where the money is going. Sometimes I wont move a single noble and I'll be spending 2000-2900 or more, at the very least around 1500. And if it is sitting on 1500, moving a noble brings it up into the 2000-2900 bracket (Like even simply moving a noble into the neighbouring settlement seems to be the only reason my expenses will fluctuate some turns). I've always looked at all the reasons it says underneath the noble expenses and still been unsure where some of the money has gone. Is there any chance you could clear that up for me, or just point me in the direction of where I could better understand the economic side of this mod (something any BGR player always wants to know).
    Thanks, and double thanks for the fact you're still here on the forums for so long, back when I was still playing MTW2 vanilla, unaware of the online community here

Got a small idea for your mod again) It's possible to change strat_model of general by traits depending of his wealth. What do you think?