Thread: Colonists

Default Colonists

I'm playing my Swedish campaing and I'm still at -1.00 colonists per year. I can't touch Lapland or Greenland (and would love to.)

Every chance I get on the sliders I push it towards Free Market. But that's slow going as you know.

What can I do to get colonists? I, of course, took the National Bank as my first NI. It's going to be a while before I get another. But when I do, who much does the Colonial Adventures NI add? Again, I'm at -1.00 per year now and will keep pushing the Free Market slider over to increase it that way.

Anything else I can do?

TYIA
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Default Re: Colonists

Quest for the New World and Colonial Ventures will give you a nice colonist bonus (it will overcome the base penalty). I'm assuming you're playing ID yeah?

Oh, yea. I should mention that in the future. Playing ID.

And thanks. So basically, the Swedes (and others like them) can't do much colonizing until quite a ways down the road.

No biggy. I'll just go snatch Portuagal's until I can make my own!

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

If you have colonial ventures and a total of 4 (or 5) ideas you will get the colonists as well.

that and both QFTNW and Colonial Ventures will give +9 colonists.

If you have an empire with 50+ territories and have colonies in america or oceana you gain an additional +2.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    If you have colonial ventures and a total of 4 (or 5) ideas you will get the colonists as well.
    You know, I've noticed that all the AI factions have 2 or 3 (I think maybe some even have 4, can't remember) NIs. I only have the one still. Even piddley little nations with one territory already have more than I do. I've kept my Govt and Production spending consistently the highest with Naval and Land second. I haven't needed stability (because of my anti-semetic policies...sorry! lol) and I haven't invested much in Trade because I've focused on Production so much.

I guess my point is I just don't see how they are ahead of me in NIs.

Any ideas?

Spart's Avatar Senator

Well, the one province nations usually should be ahead, since they don't get the penalties. The more land you own, the more you'll have to pay for tech. And you seem to have lots of big, relatively poor provinces.
    Doesn't matter that much really, you'll catch up when your empire develops. Anyways, the tech cost mechanism makes sure you don't fall too far behind. Once you start getting colonies, you can blitz your techs pretty fast.
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard

Yea. Thanks for the reassurances. I started a couple of one province games yesterday and noticed that they do, indeed, have an advantage when it comes to development. So it made me feel better.

As an EU3 n00b I was just affraid I was doing something drastically wrong. Frankly, from reading alot of the responses to the new patch over at the paradox forums I'm quickly realizing I'm much less a n00b then some who've been playing the game eons longer than I!

Being Narrowminded gives a nice colonist bonus.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

and there are advisors too of course

Spart's Avatar Senator

But the advisors don't give more colonists after the first patch, right? They just improve the colonist chance a little. Don't know about mods though..
    Member of S.I.N
    Finns to the rescue!

How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
    -Søren Kierkegaard