Thread: The civ series

Default The civ series

Several people have supported the idea of having a forum for the civ series - what do people think of this?

My personal opinion is that there would be interest from TWC members and from members joining for the Paradox part of the network but I beleive that it could be very dificult to attract new members from the civ comunity due to other forums inparticulrly:

http://www.civfanatics.com/

I think its worth adding a forum for as it would recive enough interest from the TWC comunity to justify it but I doubt that it would be extremly successful.

Anyway the choice of whether or not to give it a forum at a future Paradox site isnt mine to make so comitee members should say whether they support giving it a forum or not.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The civ series

Well civ games are well established with massive fan sites so i don't support if we are only going to get members of TWC to participate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

I agree with Leonidas The Lion, Civ series have well established fansites and it would be rather hard to get that people move to the new site(from Civfanatics, etc.).

Let's just look how it will turn out with Paradox and continue from there.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragabash View Post
    I agree with Leonidas The Lion, Civ series have well established fansites and it would be rather hard to get that people move to the new site(from Civfanatics, etc.).

Let's just look how it will turn out with Paradox and continue from there.
    Your missing my point - I wasnt suggesting another site, I was suggesting a forum at the Paradox site for it - The current policy for the commitee is to chose a few games which will have forums or sub forums at the Paradox site.

It is quite clear that Paradox games wont be enough to generate the kind of interest needed to make the site extremely successful, at least in the short term. Therefore after gaing aproval from Kanaric I have started threads on a few other game series to see if they should have a forum.

I am inclined to agree with leonidias but all the comitee members need to discuss whether or not it should have a forum at the new site in order to get the best choice of Non Paraodox gamming forums at the new site.

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    It is quite clear that Paradox games wont be enough to generate the kind of interest needed to make the site extremely successful, at least in the short term. Therefore after gaing aproval from Kanaric I have started threads on a few other game series to see if they should have a forum.
    I disagree, Paradox have very active fanbase, perhaps smaller but sheer numbers doesn't always make the board successfull.
    Under Patronage of Søren and member of S.I.N.

Its been discussed several times and no comitee member objected to having forums for other games at the Paradox site - it boosts the sites numbers as well as solving the problem that we cant put the forums here because of the gold affilate issue.

It is possible to have a site with just the EU series and the HoI series but it would be better to have a third section for 4 or 5 other games for the reasons In stated in the paragraph above.

If you object to having other games at a Paradox site then start a thread stating your views - the threads I have started (with Kanarics approval) are to pick the games which the commitee will recomend for being given forums - these threads are not for debating whether any games should be given them or not.
    Last edited by Elrond; June 07, 2007 at 06:09 AM.

Content Emeritus

Even if we put civ forums at the paradox who will go to them.
    Only the TWC members and the paradox fans.
    Most true civ fans will stay at civfanatics etc.
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

I agree - but the question is whether there will be enough people from within the 'network' to justify a forum - it could be argued that if there is enough interest to justify a EU forum at TWC then there should be enough interest to justfy a civ forum there.

Content Emeritus

Well it depends if people want a cuv forum.
    EU and civ is not exactly the same thing.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Perhaps its better not to add a forum for it straight away and to give Hex a explaination why in the committes next report.

Content Emeritus

I agree this would be best
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Having a civ, or starcraft, or nwn, or anything, subforum runs again into the arguments about having a paradox forum at TWC (excluding gold status). Let's not undertake half-assed endeavours. If the administrators of the Paradox site want to add civ or oblivion forums it will be up to them. But the site must have a singular focus, and we cannot expect the secondary game forums will have any real draw to the site since it is primarily a paradox site. I don't see the point.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

I think establishing a civilzation community will be near impossible. It would be an incredibly difficult project to accomplish.

Civfanatics already holds EVERYTHING you could possibly want in a fansite, so I dont see us attracting much aside from out already established community.

I think if we ever WERE to do a civ site we would already had to of expanded in many other games and have a much larger community than what we have now.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.