Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Citizen] Pasan (patron: Legio)

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default [Citizen] Pasan (patron: Legio)

Pasan's Part/Recommendations from Chief Librarians][fieldset2=PASAN]
    [FIELDSET2="His Part

Greetings councilors of the CdeC.

I joined TWC in May 15 2007, and like many others about these forums the reason for joining was that I needed help with some mod, in my case the recently released Stainless Steel. What I can say from my early years here on this site is that it was largely dominated by non-regular checking for new mods, posting in the respective forums for TATW and SS and general inconsistent activity. I did not begin to frequent and contribute to the site until the last year or so, as you can see from my contributions bellow, most of them are from 2012 or late 2011.

It is my firm belief that the reason I went from irregular member to a contributing part of the site was that I at some point ventured into the Thema Devia, and while that meant affiliation with something with as shabby a reputation as the Devia, it also meant that I became much more involved with the site, with a network of friends to keep me interested. And with this came a desire to contribute more to TWC and be a more positive addition to the site. Luckily Hader accepted me into the Librarians and my efforts with Content Staff work expanded from there. Apart from staff work, I have started a number of side project and independent writings. It is my hope that my contributions will be judged enough to be accepted into the Citizen usergroup. Which for me will serve as a stepping stone to be further involvement with TWC.

Bellow you will find my list of contributions.
    [/FIELDSET2]
    His Part
    General Content Staff 1
    Scriptorium Articles Added:
    [History] Causes and Effects of the Franco-German War
    [History] The distortion of the image of Charlemagne in the Einhard’s ‘Life of Charles the Great’.
    [Games] Borderlands.
    [History] Napoleon and the Conclusion of the Military Revolution.
    [Games] Dawn of War 2: Retribution (PC)
    [History]The Impact of Air Raids on the Outcome of the Second World War in Europe
    [History] Skirmishers of 19th Century and American Civil War
    [History] Armies of American Civil War
    [Games] Rollercoaster Tycoon

Scriptorium Editorial for January 2012
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...3#post10971073
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC) - Review by Påsan

Author: Snuggans
    Original Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
    Scriptorium Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
    The long awaited fifth instalment of the Elder Scrolls series did in many ways dominate the game scene when it was released in late 2011. The massive fantasy single player game takes place in the Nordic land of Skyrim where the player takes on a mission to save the world from dragons and civil war. Receiver of universal acclaim by reviewers and gamers alike, Skyrim seemed to be the ultimate role playing game. However as much of the hype died down, some complaints begun to surface about Skyrims less-than-perfect sides, and those might be worse than you might think.

Here can you read Snuggans excellent critical in-debt analysis of the game. He takes an detailed look at both the negatives and the positives of the game as well as analysing most of the different features in Skyrim and weighting them up against each-other in what amounts to a final score. The text is interspaced with pictures both serving as examples to illuminate his points and to show of the game in general. If you have been plying or are thinking about buying Skyrim, it is absolutely worth a read.

Scriptorium Editorial for April 2012
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=532208
    1st: Long Fiction Entry, Forlorn Hope, by Inarus - Review by Påsan

Forlorn Hope

Author: Inarus
    Winter Scriptorium Writing Competition: First Place

The winner of the January Scriptorium Writers Competition this year is a truly dramatic piece of writing about the horrors of war and the sacrifices made in them. The story puts the reader into the mind of a young idealistic English junior officer in the Napoleonic Wars, freshly appointed to lead the "Forlorn Hope" charge in an attempt to wrestle Ciudad Rodrigo from French hands. Through his eyes the reader gets an avid and believable description of the horrors of the Napoleonic battles weighted against the young man's unshakable belief in his county and personal courage.

As a scenario that could have been pulled straight out of Napoleon: Total War it is indeed a great read for anyone that have a interest in historical warfare or just likes an action packed short story full of cannonballs and bayonets captured in readable violence. It is authentic enough to captivate the reader without going much into background detail or nuances that would take away from the drive of the short story. Absolutely a recommendable slice-of-life piece of Historical fiction.

Scriptorium's Editorial for May 2012
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...6#post11535736
    Mago Barca by HannibalB. Review by: Påsan
    Mago Barca Mago Barca was the youngest brother of the iconic general Hannibal Barca. In this article by 'HannibalB' his life as a general under his brother in the Second Punic war is described in great detail of what we know of his exploits in leading the Cartiginian forces against the Roman Republic in Hispania, Gallia and Italy.

What is interesting about this article is that it is focused on the role of one of the lesser known characters of the Second Punic war. The focus on his brother Hannibal tends to overshadow the roles played by both Mago and his brother Hasdrubal who was pivotal in many of Hannibal's triumphs and defeats.

The article is well written, researched and structured and does a great job in describing Magos role in the war and the battles in which he participated. I experienced that reading about the war from a slightly different perspective gives readers better understanding of the Second Punic war and the of the Carthaginians. It is absolutely worth a read for people that likes ancient history or military history. I would also recommend reading HannibalB's equally excellent article on Hasdrubal for his role in the war and the shorter article on Hannibal.

Scriptorium's Editorial for September 2012
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post12103912
    Midnight Meeting by Diamat - Review by Påsan.

Author: Diamat
    Summer Writing Competition Winner: Short Fiction (2nd Place)

A Midnight Meeting
    There is no doubt in my mind why this entry won the "Short Fiction" category this time around. I found Diamats wartime boots-on-the-ground tale to be supremely written, tightly formatted and telling a story that is both interesting through its unique perspective and its philosophy regarding the flowering of German nationalism.

The Short Fiction entry tells the tale of a Saxon soldier reflecting over the newfound sense of unity found in the German volk and the use such a unity will be put to the next morning, effectively contrasted with the appearance of an allied drunken french soldier. While reading, the history savvy out there might lock down the scenario to the Battle of Lepzig, where the Saxon regiment famously turned on the French forces invading Germany under Napoleon. Although the connection with the battle are only implied, the setting could hardly have been put to a more effective use in a story regarding the divisions and unity in the old German lands.

Additionally to add to the immersion, the text is sprinkled with both some French and German words to create an clear visible notion of language, a primary ingredient in building nations. However this did lead to me having to google the french word "sérieux" which I felt was somewhat unnecessary. Despite, or perhaps because of this, it is clearly from reading that the theme is something the author both care and know deeply about and that is a primary reason for the creation of this excellent read and worthy winner of the Short Fiction category.

Misc:
    In charge of the Non-fiction category in the Winter Writing Competition 2012

In charge of the Non-fiction category in the Summer Writing Competition 2012

Gained the Bronze Scribes Quill for 3 months and consistent efforts as a Librarian.

Gained the Silver Scribes Quill for 6 months and consistant efforts as a librarian.

- Issue reason: For consistent quality contributions as a member of Content Staff. Please accept this award with our thanks and gratitude for your fantastic efforts in the Scriptorium.

His Part
    General Content Staff
    Gamers Gazette Joined the Gamers Gazette for their third issue.
    I am planning for a follow up with Skyrim: Dragonborn in February. The Gamer's Gazette - Volume 1, Issue 3

Games Review
    I was appointed Local Moderator alongside Princess Luna in the Games Review section due to I noticed the place was largely abandoned. The acting LM was inactive and the review directory list was outdated, thus responsibility was given to the Scriptorium and to me via a conversation with Bolkonsky. Thread visible here. The responsibility have been to basically bring the place up to date and then to keep the master-list updated for each review and recently add Gamer Gazette articles. As well as basic quality control on reviews, if it's half-hearted couple of sentences, etc, then we close the threads. Also we relentlessly hunt the hundreds of spambots that are haunting the place.

Effective from June 12 until present.

His Part
    Local Moderation
    Headed a petition to bring back the "Describe the Person Above You Thread" in the Q&A section. The petition resulted in the resurrection of the thread and the appointment of me and Kameraden as Local Moderators.I am also in charge of keeping the RTD of me and Inkie under supervision.

Effective from 24 of March until present.

Here is the petition. Here is Joms final answer and Here is the thread in question.

Independently Written Articles
    [History] The Impact of Air Raids on the Outcome of the Second World War in Europe (Added to Scriptorium)
    Essay debating the development and performance of aggressive aviation in WW2

[History]The UN as a Worldwide Peacekeeper. [Essay] (Added to Scriptorium)
    Essay debating the usefulness of the United Nations.

The Extraordinary Individuals Collection.
    An attempt to start a thread where people post examples of extraordinary people from history. Biography.

Followers; Tips, Tricks and Explanations.
    From the very early days of Skyrim. It is a guide specifying the uses, mechanics and utilities of the follower NPC's in that game. And also describes a number of work-arounds for the numerous bugs regarding followers.

[Games] Dawn of War 2: Retribution (PC) (Added to Scriptorium)
    A review of the Relic Game: "Dawn of War 2: Retribution"

[Games] Crusader Kings 2 (PC) (Added to the Scriptorium)
    A review of the Paradox game: "Crusader Kings 2"
    *This review was the featured review in Edition XV of the Silver Shield.

Roll To Dodge Roleplay
    April 11th I started a roleplay project with my very own version of the developing "RTD" formula.

The "Roll To Dodge" is a popular game that consist of the Game Master (Me) present the players with a scenario, and then writes an outcome depending on the actions of the player. The RTD is still ongoing despite a break over the summer. The turns range from 1300 words to 5000 words.

Here is an overview:

Rules, Turn 1, Turn 2, Turn 3, Turn 4, Turn 5, (1/2) Turn 6, Turn 7, Turn 8, Turn 9, Turn 10, Turn 11, Turn 12, Turn 13, Turn 14, Turn 15, Turn 16, Turn 16, Turn 17, Turn 18, (1), Turn 19, Turn 20

A few good examples: This This and This alongside This and That

Mod Suggestions
    Norway: Its faults and problems.
    Explanation
    Norway: Its Faults and Problems

- Helpful and respectful posts
    This is one from my earliest days back in 2008. Subject matter is the incorrect portrayal of the Norwegian faction in SS. This thread and OP gained a lot of support that lead to Mod Leader KK renaming half of the Norwegian unit rooster into more Historical names, and adding a new unit the "Royal Hirdsmen"

Quote Originally Posted by King Kong View Post
    even if I have no time actually, this thread just inspired me to do something about Norway and I thought the unit below could be added to the Norwegian roster. Maybe they could be those Royal Hirdsmen or something like that...
    Here is the OP:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157045

Here is King Kong's response:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...87#post2898287

Boromir Battle Model: Travelling Gear or Osgiliath Armour?
    Explanation

I started an poll in the TATW about the portrayal of the Boromir Hero Unit. The overwhelming support of my alternative led to modder Emperor of Hell to create a submod based on my initial suggestions.

[/fieldset2]
    StealthFox Recommendation

Throughout my time here at TWC I've come to know Påsan quite well. I've seen him posting across the forums, and he is generally kind, friendly, and helpful. I know him best though by his work in the Scriptorium, which is superb! He is always on top of projects, joining in on discussions, and just plainly getting work done. He is a truly a great asset to the Scriptorium and TWC Content as a whole. Therefore, I would like to strongly recommend Påsan for citizenship. Give the red fox the red badge he deserves!

Hader
    Ah yes, the wiley little fox that calls himself Pooshan something-or-other. I have encountered this beast before. He is not as cute as his fox picture likes to suggest.

Despite his foxish nature, he has been quite good at assisting the valiant guardians of the Scriptorium in keeping the daemonic ponies out of it's sacred halls. For this I am most pleased. No other work of his needs commendation. None of the many articles he has helped write matter, his assistance in the writing competitions were great but also don't matter. None of that hard work is as worthy as his deeds against the ponies. Nothing.

Make this fox a citizen so that he may fully combat this threat with the courage a fury the Emperor demands. To not do this is to condemn this site to oblivion.

The Emperor protects.

Legio's Part

Legio

Pasan always struck me as a helpful and hard-working sort beneath the initial impression of chatty behavior. He has improved greatly since he first started being really active in the Thema Devia. Perhaps I am able to see this in others, being exceptionally chatty myself! I don't know what I can add to his words, that of his former employer, and that of his current one. I will say that his work has always impressed me, even before I was Hex. As Content Hex his work for Content Staff has pleased me greatly, and in my estimation he deserves the badge. If I were a CdeC member and not the patron I would certainly vote yes! Pasan is one of the hard workers that keeps Content running as well as it does, really. Both Chief Librarians agree. He has not just helped out in Content; he runs a rather successful forum game and has written some extra reviews of his own! Since I don't think there is much else to add, accept the token DEATH

...DEATH

WAR

that I am accustomed to giving people. Certainly Pasan is deserving of citizenship!

Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Citizen] Pasan (patron: Legio)

The fieldset's off. I won't try to fix it as I don't want to look like I am tampering with the application, editing things in or out, while discussion is underway!

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

It is accessible, hence I don't see an issue. The Curator can fix it though, if you like it to be fixed.
    That being said, I assume there are no moderational issues since you're his patron.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'll look forward to digging through this applicant's posts.

The Silver Quill is already speaking out to me.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    It is accessible, hence I don't see an issue. The Curator can fix it though, if you like it to be fixed.
    That being said, I assume there are no moderational issues since you're his patron.
    His last infraction expired in November 2011.

Blog Entries

Which means it's negligible, cheers

The applicants 1st try.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Are we allowed to know what the Administrative Note was?

Just some statistics since his last application when comparing the two:

4 more articles added to the Scriptorium
    2 more articles written for the Scriptorium Editorial (roughly the same length)
    Organised one more Scriptorium Competition
    Received A Silver Quill on 12th October
    Joined the GG and wrote one article
    Became Game Reviews moderator
    No more independently written articles published
    Modding suggestions (ideas etc.) haven't increased
    Still remains LM for "Describe the Person Above You Thread"
    Started role-play event

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I have been anxiously awaiting Pasan's second attempt at this. Although I did not expect it to come during my term, I will use this opportunity to address what I think was done wrong the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanar
    After reading the latest 1000 posts of the applicant. Loads and loads and loads of them are posted in four different threads:
    The My Little Pony, The Chat and The Describe The Person Above You or The Say Cheese threads and threads alike to those kind. By nature those kind of threads tend to be rahter spammy and the posts tend to keep in line with the thread.

Besides this, most of his posts tend to be oneliners, posts like this or this or that and this furthermore this, this, this and that and that along with these three are acutally the few posts "most striking" in his last 1000 posts ...
    As I did before, I once again wish to make a quick comment regarding "spamming." Perhaps because I was born in the cradle of the Thema Devia, I strongly dislike the word "spamming" when people's posts are judged here by the CdeC. If someone plays one-word games in the Coliseum, then he is just doing what the thread wants you to do. The same goes for other threads. This is just one form of posting, but should not detract from the applicant's worthiness as a whole. True, such posts do not give you plus points in the application process, but they should not result in negative points.

I am sure Aikanar did not mean to deride Pasan for his posting habits, but that his actual point was that there is more short posts than posts of substance (i.e., contributions). But to many Devians (inhabitants of the Thema Devia), this came across as rather elitist (myself included). Thus, to be clear, I ask my fellow councilors to refrain from using the word "spamming" when talking about other candidate's posts, unless, of course, these posts are completely off-topic.

Having finally said this, let's get down to the nitty gritty, shall we?

Blog Entries

Urban dictionary spamming

I meant exactly what I wrote, his posts tend to be spammy, i.e. very short sentences which can sometimes not even be considered one-liners. While it is up to every councillors discretion to whether or not that might be something negative, it was indeed regarded as such by a lot of our predecessors and in fact has rather recently been discussed concerning contributions.

Anyways, as I've said, it's up to every councillor. To be frank, and I would post the exact same thing if this was public, I don't care, at all, whether or not something a councillor says is liked or not liked or as which it might be regarded as by other people. If they don't like it, they can just vote for somebody else. If they happen to have no voting rights, they can just express their thoughts in either the commentary thread or write a pm or what not. We are not elected for being liked, we're elected for doing the job and part of the job is calling things out.

And just to be clear myself, again, every councillor is free to make any statement he wishes to. He can, of course, be held accountable for what he says. And to be even more clear, if something smells like spam and looks like spam then there's a high probability that it is spam and I won't call it otherwhise just to please people who do spam and think it's something comendable.

Aikanar, I by no means meant to attack you personally. As I said above, your intentions were good. You were doing your job. My point is: no matter how you define it, "spamming" has negative connotations that you cannot escape. And while every councilor may choose what to do or not to do, it was but a friendly request. Since we also use the word "spamming" to describe spambots infiltrating TWC on a constant basis, I only thought it would be nice not to use it.

And I never implied that what some consider "spamming" should be commendable. But it is my opinion that this should not detract from an applicant's worthiness, as long as the posts are following thread rules.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

I have worked with Pasan for some time now in the library, and I believe he will make a good citizen. His personality is great with his fox humour as well as his contributions to the site are ample. I would have no regrets giving this man his badge

I am leaning towards a yes
    Last edited by Lord William; December 27, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Blog Entries

I've not understood it as an attack. Sometimes my posts appear too agressive, if that is the case with the above post. I'm sorry. I respect your opinion. But that is it, it is your opinion. Others might have other opinions and in fact spamming was considered not citizenworthy if it appeared to often. Indeed, this is up to every councillor.
    Just because you can find nothing negative in it, others can do so. If you find nothing negative in it, you can try to convince others who might find it a negative thing that they are wrong.
    But just because you think one way does not make your opinion truth, besides for yourself.

I, for myself, can overlook a spammy behaviour if it's a) not disruptive, b) not the overwhelming part of the applicants post and c) the applicant provides other contributions. As far as I can see, this applicant has a tendency to post in a spammy fashion. I have not, however, come across many disrupting posts of his and he contributes, hence I'm willing to not weight his often spammy posts too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    I've not understood it as an attack. Sometimes my posts appear too agressive, if that is the case with the above post. I'm sorry. I respect your opinion. But that is it, it is your opinion. Others might have other opinions and in fact spamming was considered not citizenworthy if it appeared to often. Indeed, this is up to every councillor.
    Just because you can find nothing negative in it, others can do so. If you find nothing negative in it, you can try to convince others who might find it a negative thing that they are wrong.
    But just because you think one way does not make your opinion truth, besides for yourself.
    I perfectly agree with this part. As I said, I never meant to force other councilors to follow my opinion. I simply made a friendly request, based on my own experiences as someone like Pasan (i.e., a Devian). Whether or not you take it into consideration is entirely up to you, Genosse.

Blog Entries

So you think we can both vote yes on him, don't you? Sorry, wrong Parteibuch

Edit: I do spam, too.
    Last edited by Aikanár; December 27, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

No worries Aikanar.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Ein Gespenst geht um in TWC - das Gespenst des Diamat

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Hey, Ich kann auch Deutsch spreche! (a little)

anyway, Pasan, though spam he may, his contributions appear to be more than sufficient at first glance, and some digging will commence, but so far it seems all good.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I am of the similar mind as Diamat, his posts shouldn't be considered negative because they are suitable for the thread in which they are posted, however they shouldn't be viewed as a contribution either.

I'm going to sadly miss out on this application, but I wish the applicant the best of luck. When the poll appears could my vote of "Abstain" be edited into the poll?

Diamat's Super-Authoritative Statement on Pasan's Application

It does not take a genius to figure out that Pasan is a sneaky fox. Unable to catch the mouse he has hunted for months, he is nevertheless quite a trickster. I first came across him when I was a total noob to TWC. He tricked me into clicking his signature, which made my TWC turn into barbie theme, and I did not know how to get rid of it, until I finally erased my cookies. HAHAHA! All kidding aside, he is truly a fun and friendly member.

Look at his contributions! They are a plenty! His game reviews of Crusader Kings 2, Dawn of War 2, and most recently, Skyrim, are not only detailed and well thought out, but they are also rather lengthy. Add to this the other articles he has written and you got yourself a nice writing resume. But it doesn't stop there. To the contrary, his contributions go on and on. He has served in content for quite some time. He has been hosting his own RTD, thus bringing joy (not spam) to the Coliseum. And he has also served as a local moderator in the Coliseum. In terms of contributions, to me, he is more than deserving of citizenship.

But what about attitude? As said before, and based on a review of his posts, I see Pasan as a friendly member, which his letters of recommendation confirm as well. Moreover, I think he would make a fantastic citizen, as demonstrated by his activism in the revival of the "Describe the Person Above You" thread.

Unless strong evidence to the contrary is uncovered, this is really a no brainer. Indeed, I usually don't make up my mind so early on, but when what I'm presented with is so overwhelmingly positive, what is a budgie to do?

Blog Entries

He already has a patron, you know
    But I'm with you on this candidate. Worthy indeed (even though some of his posts tend to be spammy ).

The only issue I might have was his attitude to this whole process when he failed the last time, quite public, but in terms of contributions this seems so far like a yes vote from me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast