Thread: How to create realistic tunic folds for units via 3dsmax

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Default How to create realistic tunic folds for units via 3dsmax

How to create real tunic/dress folds in 3ds max, usable even for MEDII/RTW units if you prefer. Usually when people creates units for TW games, they're usual to shape folds directly on the texture via photoshop. But making them directly on 3ds max, you will avoid in game the "sticker effect" as things attached on tga as a tatoo. In game thanks to this tutorial, units will be more realistic and detailed

LETS START WITH TUTORIAL:

STEP 1

From the "create" panel, select "shape" and then "nurbs curves" and select "point curve" button

STEP 2

With the point curve mode, start to create your first shape. Obviously more complex and detailed it will be, more particular and realistic will be the folds of the dress. In this tutorial i'm creating a basic fold system to show you.

Now when you ended your first shape, click right button of mouse to copy it. Move the copied shape few cm below the first one you created. As i showed in pic below

Now create a third shape (not equal as design as the first two shapes you made), at a distance who will represent the height of folds. See pics below

STEP 3

Now select one of your three curve nurbs and go on "modify panel", then submenu "general" and click on "nurbs toolbar". Once the toolbar will be opened, click on "create ruled surface". See pic below

Now select the first shape (at the passage of mouse it will become blue coloured) drag and drop it pressing left mouse, moving it till reaching the following shape (once done you can release the mouse button). Proceed in the same way with the third shape you created

STEP 4

Now we have our basic folds.. you have to convert the model to "editable poly" (right clicking on geometry) and you can assign it a little bit of shell mode (from modifier list) to improve the same model

STEP 5

I opened Photoshop CS2 and i created a quick simple texture who will be used for my test. Dress has no folds as you can see in pic below

Now in 3ds Max, select the model and assign it your test texture as material, then set the unwrap mappings etc. and result will be like this:

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Default Re: How to create realistic tunic folds for units via 3dsmax

Wow!!
    Very useful but how many polygons does it have?
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

the one in screenshots has

Code:

Objects:
                      Cast    Receive    Motion            Generate    Receive    Generate    Receive    
      Name    Type    Verts    Faces    Shadows    Shadows    Blur    Hidden    Frozen    Caustics    Caustics    GlobIllum    GlobIllum    Material (Type)
      ------------------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------------------
      Curve01    NURBS Cu    311    528    Yes    Yes    No    No    No    No    Yes    Yes    Yes    default (Std)

Shapes:
                          Cast    Receive    Motion            Generate    Receive    Generate    Receive        
      Name    Type    Verts    Polygons    Render    Shadows    Shadows    Blur    Hidden    Frozen    Caustics    Caustics    GlobIllum    GlobIllum
      ------------------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------    ------------
      Curve02    NURBS Cu    0    0    No    n/a    n/a    n/a    No    No    No    Yes    Yes    Yes

Scene Totals:
      Objects: 1
      Shapes: 1
      Cameras: 0
      Lights: 0
      Helpers: 0
      Space Warps: 0
      Total: 2

Mesh Totals:

Verts: 311
      Faces: 528

well this is not so much and effects are superb!Do you btw know max ammount of vertexex one rtw model can have?
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    My Workshop™

Quote Originally Posted by Karlo'St View Post
    well this is not so much and effects are superb!Do you btw know max ammount of vertexex one rtw model can have?
    Well, i can tell you i tried models in game (units), with 20,000 vertex and game is still over 80 fps (i have radeon 9800 pro dated 2002). And about strat map models, i m using models with 27,000 vertex, 14540 faces and game is still over 130 fps

ok thanks for that info
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    My Workshop™

Jarlaxe's Avatar Heavy Building Industry

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    Well, i can tell you i tried models in game (units), with 20,000 vertex and game is still over 80 fps (i have radeon 9800 pro dated 2002). And about strat map models, i m using models with 27,000 vertex, 14540 faces and game is still over 130 fps
    my pc is a bit old(6 years) everytime i tried to make a model over 800 vertexes i had big problem (frama to frame 5-6 sec)in a battle with 20 units.
    i'm planning on a new pc and i certenly will try this
    - Leader / Modeller/ Skinner / City Builder of Hegemonia City States -
    - Modeller/ Skinner / City Builder of Fourth Age -

- Under the patronage of the cream pie lover -
    - jimkatalanos -