Thread: Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

Indefinitely Banned

Default Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

This will probably be the shortest game review I've ever written

And there's a very good reason for that. This is the best game I've played in a long time.

The first thing this game did to earn itslef a big tick was to have the main character as a Briton. It might be a minor thing, but it's refreshing to have a game where you're not an all-American hero.
    Second is CoD's party piece, the ability to shoot through thin walls. If you're in a room being machine gunned, it now looks like on the films when everything inside gets destroyed.
    Speaking of films, that's what you'll think you're looking at. Graphically I've never seen anything better. In the American campaing, I watched a tank and a Marine squad fight in some rubble and thought "this looks exactly like film from Iraq".
    The game performs the rare trick of being hard without ever giving you the feeling that it's imossible or directly cheating.
    The storyline is good and engaging, and some set-pieces, like the sniper shot mission are amazing. The AI is outstanding as well.

My sole complaint is the lack of a co-op mode, especially multiple live users, but the multi-player is still very good, more like CoD2 than the shameless battlefield 1942 rip-off that was CoD3. All weapons are customisable and there is plenty to unlock.

Put simply this is one of the very best games out there, and is certainly in the top three 360 games.
    10/10

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Re: Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

I was playing the multiplayer at a friends house last night - it was fun but I had only two complaints about it.

1) There didnt seem to be very many maps, what? like maybe 9 or 10 total?

2) Why do both sides (SAS/Spetnaz & Opfor/Marines) get the SAME weapons? In the singleplayer the Opfor insurgents have RPGs, AK-47s, and the like but in multiplayer they get the same loadout of the marines...that was kinda disappointing...I wanted to run around as an insurgent, spraying my RPD randomly, yelling "Dirka, Dirka! Muhammad Jihad!!!!" into my friends' ears...
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

There is actually like 16 maps I believe. It's a good variety if a server has them all on the rotation.

I agree with your second point though, I wish OpFor had AKs instead of M16s, RPDs instead of SAWs, same with Spestnaz etc. Also, they made the Spetsnaz look like terrorists. In the end it doesn't matter because you will barely ever play preset classes when you can create your own.

As for the review, I agree on most points. The only issue I had with the graphics is sometimes the lightning is wonky and soldiers look like they have a glowy outline (seemed to be in SP mostly). Also, the AI wasn't really that amazing, they just kept coming in waves and rarely flanked. Multiplayer is where its at.
    Last edited by The Mongol; November 23, 2007 at 12:18 AM.

I agree Super Pope, co-op would've been insane.

CoD4 is definetly one of the best of 07. I can't decide if I like this, Assassin's Creed, or Mass Effect more.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -Seneca

It's an FPS, isn't it? How can you play an FPS on a console? Aim-assisting is not playing the game - there's no skill involved.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Eskali's Avatar Semisalis

Yes, i am addicted to the multiplayer side, loved the story it was like an interactive movie.
    Stupid xbox broke, got to send it in for repairs
    Last edited by Eskali; April 18, 2008 at 08:09 PM.
    Don't take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Super Pope View Post
    The game performs the rare trick of being hard without ever giving you the feeling that it's imossible or directly cheating.
    I agree strongly with this. The amount of times on Call of Duty 2, I nearly threw the controller out of the window because I felt like the game was screwing me over (mainly on the higher difficulties) were high indeed. However, on Call of Duty 4 it felt a lot better because whenever I'd been killed on Veteran I knew it was because I needed to re-adjust my strategy. Although, that wasn't for every mission, a small number of them still managed to be complete es.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

I like it but single player gameplay is so liner it goes against what FPS games are all about. The re-spawning of enemy troops is really annoying no matter how times you kill that sniper in the roof he keeps coming back to life, this spoils the game in my opinion.

Logik's Avatar Campidoctor

I have beat the game more than a few times. I play online most times now when i do play the game. Has anybody bothered to collect the 30 intel pieces in the game? I have and it really is not much to it. You do unlock the game cheats when you do and you can get Unlimited ammo, Slow mo,and a feature called a Bad Year in which when you shoot the enemies he turns into a tire.(Yeah Weird i know kind of funny though) The other cheats are Worthless. I don't like using cheat codes for any game. But i will admit once in a blue moon i do play the campaign and use the unlimited ammo cheat just for fun Since i already beat the game a million times..I get to be Rambo. when i do use the code.
    My gaming rig nicknamed The Beast. OMEN by HP Obelisk Gaming Desktop Computer, 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K Processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB, HyperX 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, VR Ready, Windows 10 Home (875-1023, Black)

Eskali's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine0505 View Post
    I have beat the game more than a few times. I play online most times now when i do play the game. Has anybody bothered to collect the 30 intel pieces in the game? I have and it really is not much to it. You do unlock the game cheats when you do and you can get Unlimited ammo, Slow mo,and a feature called a Bad Year in which when you shoot the enemies he turns into a tire.(Yeah Weird i know kind of funny though) The other cheats are Worthless. I don't like using cheat codes for any game. But i will admit once in a blue moon i do play the campaign and use the unlimited ammo cheat just for fun Since i already beat the game a million times..I get to be Rambo. when i do use the code.
    When i got mates over we go through games with the weird cheats on, i.e. Ghost recon: Grenades/rockets are chickens.
    Don't take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway.

I love Call Of Duty 4. I espically like to online side of the game. Wich is were you can create your own class and unlock camo for getting headshots to show how good you are with the gun. One other thing is Prestige mode were you can chose to reset your rank again only this time with a different badge to show wich prestige level you are. This is realy inventive as no other game has done this before.
    Last edited by Total KO; May 20, 2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling