Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Providing Bonus Food Income to AI, and AI Only.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Default Providing Bonus Food Income to AI, and AI Only.

This change will give the AI (and the player if you really want?) additional food income based on the difficulty slider at the start of the game.
    Testing showed that is save game compatible. Thanks Dresden.

Table: campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects

In this table, you're going to be adding brand new entries. Here's an explanation of what each column should have in it.

For the AI, the campaign difficulty handicap value goes, in order of Easy to Legendary, -1 to 3.
    For the player, the campaign difficulty handicap value goes, in order of Easy to Legendary, 1 to -3.

The Human True/False column is self explanatory.

Name of the effect is rom_payload_food.

Effect_Scope should be this_faction.

Value is a flat addition to food income, so putting in 50 will give the player/AI 50 additional foods on top of whatever income is provided by buildings. Note this will count towards the food bonuses of Growth and Replenishment.

optional_campaign_key
    should be left blank.

Example:

In this example, the AI has been given a faction-wide bonus of 3 extra food on Normal, 6 extra food on Hard, 9 extra food on Very Hard, and 12 extra food on Legendary.

I think this will be a very promising solution to the AI's food crisis.

If anyone tests this out, be sure to come post your results.
    Last edited by Silven; May 09, 2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Updated Tutorial

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Providing Bonus Food Income to AI, and AI Only.

Campaign_difficulty_modifiers
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

I was looking into this too recently. Thanks!

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Edit:

Moved to OP.
    Last edited by Silven; October 03, 2013 at 08:36 PM.

I'm thinking this is something that will only take effect on new games, not existing saves? If so, we need a test to ensure the mod works, which we can verify if we modify the PLAYER'S food bonus; we don't have a method of determining if the AI is, in fact, receiving a food bonus via the mod, IIRC. So by testing the opposite, we'll know that at least the mod has an effect on food bonuses.

I tested this in one of my current games and it seemed to work. One of the factions I had just encountered were starving. I added this mod and their units were no long in attrition (I had to end turn for the changes to take effect). Just to make sure, I removed the mod and ended turn again, and they were still starving.

So, it works on current campaigns. I added 20 food just to try it out and seemed to work well.

One note: I had to put main_rome under the campaign column. Otherwise, I kept getting an error in PFM. I would make a small mod for this but I don't want to steal your idea. It works great, though!

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I tested this in one of my current games and it seemed to work. One of the factions I had just encountered were starving. I added this mod and their units were no long in attrition (I had to end turn for the changes to take effect). Just to make sure, I removed the mod and ended turn again, and they were still starving.

So, it works on current campaigns. I added 20 food just to try it out and seemed to work well.

One note: I had to put main_rome under the campaign column. Otherwise, I kept getting an error in PFM. I would make a small mod for this but I don't want to steal your idea. It works great, though!
    Your control test sounds pretty good, thanks for testing it. I had already tested it for player effects and it worked like a charm. So this test for the AI shows its definitely working.

And about the main_rome part, are you using a newer version of the PFM? I'm still using 3.0.2 (cant live without that filter function) and under this column it either shows prologue_03, or nothing at all. Perhaps the newer PFM has replaced these blanks with main_rome?

Quote Originally Posted by Silven View Post
    Your control test sounds pretty good, thanks for testing it. I had already tested it for player effects and it worked like a charm. So this test for the AI shows its definitely working.

And about the main_rome part, are you using a newer version of the PFM? I'm still using 3.0.2 (cant live without that filter function) and under this column it either shows prologue_03, or nothing at all. Perhaps the newer PFM has replaced these blanks with main_rome?
    I am using the new version of PFM but the columns are blank (other than the prologue_03). However, for some reason when I try to save the changes it says that column can't be null. It is pretty odd, actually. I added main_rome just for a workaround and it seemed to be fine. Must have something to do with the new version of PFM.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Hmmm... I'll update the OP just in case. Thanks!

So if I understand your assessment correctly, the following values would result in AI factions getting 50 additional food on Easy correct?

campaign_difficulty_handicap = -1
    human = false
    effect = rom_building_food_reserves
    effect_scope = this_faction
    effect_value = 50
    optional_campaign_key = blank
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; October 04, 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Yep! Your format is perfect, and -1 corresponds to Easy when referenced to the AI.

(-1 would be Hard when referenced to the Player. Bit confusing I know.)

there is a easy way to fool the new PFM under the optional_campaign_key tab just Crtl+c then Crtl+v one of the other empty tabs into your new tab and it thinks everything is ok now =)

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

AI is Human False, are Easy (-1), Normal (0), Hard (1), Very Hard (2) and Legendary (3)
    Player is Human True, difficulties are Easy (1), Normal (0), Hard (-1), Very Hard (-2) and Legendary (-3)

OP is oposite i am afraid.

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.
    Follow us here - Team Radious

Patch 4 supposedly addresses this issue, it will be interesting to see how they do it.

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Radious View Post
    AI is Human False, are Easy (-1), Normal (0), Hard (1), Very Hard (2) and Legendary (3)
    Player is Human True, difficulties are Easy (1), Normal (0), Hard (-1), Very Hard (-2) and Legendary (-3)

OP is oposite i am afraid.
    Whoops, you're sure right. Got my minus symbols mixed up. Thanks!

OP fixed.

Exactly what I needed!

I pretty much always play with a small mod now that adds 20 food to the AI. I haven't seen any more food issues from the AI. Sadly patch 4 didn't seem to help with that much.

Do we have a release for this yet? I did it myself, then deleted it because Patch 4 "addressed" it.

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

SPARTAN VI: it didnt really addressed it cause it only gave ai some more logic in how to build their cities and handeling food, but that wont work always and factions with 1-2 cities only can get easily into food troubles. So small boost for AI (i would say per difficulty 5 -10 max (10 easy - 30 legendary)) is perfect solution, it helps AI, it makes it slightly stronger and that means challenge for players.

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.
    Follow us here - Team Radious

Silven's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    Do we have a release for this yet? I did it myself, then deleted it because Patch 4 "addressed" it.
    I've added this to my mod, and I set the bonuses to Normal: +4, Hard: +8, VHard: +12, Leg: +16.

Seems to be a pretty good standard for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast