Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [VIDEO] Petellius's Video Previews - Naval combat video 1/29

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Petellius's Video Updates and Previews

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    We'll try, not sure if it will work though, is it really that big a deal to you guys?
    That's theorically possible, I hate the Rome 2 naval warfare, but Attila one looks more realistic and I really enjoy and play naval battles in Attila (I have even a historically Overhaul of naval warfare) and I always autoresolve naval battles on Rome 2. So I made some test, and it's possible to change the sails from Rome 2 ship with an Attila sail just like change and armour or helmet in Assembly Kit. this make some visual bugs with models and animation, so maybe it will requiere some 3D work, or try to find a good Attila sail model according with each Rome 2 ship model, at last, is possible with some visualsbugs, but I cannot say this 100% sure, I tested 2 weeks after Attila released, and never try it again. Will requiere a good research and work implement sails (but, for me i will be a good addition for sure)

Ancient Empires Member: Unit Maker

Create the sails for the ships.
    Plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Cortes View Post
    That's theorically possible, I hate the Rome 2 naval warfare, but Attila one looks more realistic and I really enjoy and play naval battles in Attila (I have even a historically Overhaul of naval warfare) and I always autoresolve naval battles on Rome 2. So I made some test, and it's possible to change the sails from Rome 2 ship with an Attila sail just like change and armour or helmet in Assembly Kit. this make some visual bugs with models and animation, so maybe it will requiere some 3D work, or try to find a good Attila sail model according with each Rome 2 ship model, at last, is possible with some visualsbugs, but I cannot say this 100% sure, I tested 2 weeks after Attila released, and never try it again. Will requiere a good research and work implement sails (but, for me i will be a good addition for sure)
    I'm basing my Naval battles on those of DeI's new overhaul which is amazing. Just because they are Rome 2 ships does not mean it will be Rome 2 combat. The main import now is boarding, and the use of 2 or 3 ships a unit. Probably will leave it at 2 as it gets too crowded otherwise, transports will now be a mix of large slow flat bottomed transports and smaller ships that carry part of a unit, meaning landings will have to be in stages and reduce the amount of men on the beach at once. Missiles will be more of a support role, with damaging boarding units being the main thing, and units will rout more often leaving the possibiity of your fleet to escape with some ships intact, but not much. It will be a much slower pace.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

For me I would just add the palisades to give the feeling that it is under siege. But heck yes I would love to see the recording! Awesome!
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; January 17, 2016 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    Plan to.
    Fantastic news !!

MOS-Lukas-Dwarf's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Fantastic news !!
    This indeed would be incredible to see, I know quite a few mods now who are lost with the physics and such around banners and sails.

Irrelevant but Tenerife Boy I'm also from Tenerife.... how specific!
    "You must be king before the long night begins... Only you can unite the living against the dead"

++ The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors ++

Quote Originally Posted by MOS-Lukas-Dwarf View Post
    This indeed would be incredible to see, I know quite a few mods now who are lost with the physics and such around banners and sails.

Irrelevant but Tenerife Boy I'm also from Tenerife.... how specific!
    First time I ever went abroad was to Tenerife, I was 5 and I remember nothing except my grandma stole some volcano xD

Yes, I tested DeI naval overhaul and I like it, I was talking only about sails, not naval balance/rosters, honestly DeI naval is very good stuff, and the only motivation to play Rome 2 naval battles for me.

Happy to see two spanish mates here, we're only a few ones in TWCenter!

Ancient Empires Member: Unit Maker

Talking about sails, Attila sails would need adjustments to be looks right if used with R2 shipmodels. This would need a modeller to solve.

I tinker a bit with Variant Editor, and I see in average, Attila ships are larger than R2 ships(R2 ships are in general taller though) - For instance:

-Attila Light Longships are as long, and much wider than R2 Barbarian Heavy Raider
    -Attila Light Liburnians are as long, and wider than R2 Trieres (a medium ship)

And this of course means many of Attila sail models won't fit straightly into R2 Ship models. Most would have the rigging cordages tethered at thin air, pulleys floating a meter or two outside the ship. The only sail rigging that seems right is Attila Heavy Liburnian sail rigging at R2 Egyptian Octeres and Greek Hepteres.

Sails, with thanks to ABH doing the hard bit as always

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now can we please go back the the point I made about how what we all wanted Rome 2 to be is now actually a reality! Those 'pre alpha' videos are what AE now looks like, and I'm super super excited about that! I'm hyped, never mind you guys!

Nice sails!
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

I've always loved naval combat in the total war games and I am proud to say that I am naturally very good at fighting naval battles. Attila probably has great naval combat, but I've probably only fought one major naval battle since the Mediterranean initially is united. I bet AE campaigns will see lots of cool naval battles because of its starting time frame!

Quote Originally Posted by aqualord123 View Post
    I've always loved naval combat in the total war games and I am proud to say that I am naturally very good at fighting naval battles. Attila probably has great naval combat, but I've probably only fought one major naval battle since the Mediterranean initially is united. I bet AE campaigns will see lots of cool naval battles because of its starting time frame!
    They'll be much larger and realistic too, like the rest of AE, so that helps also! I can see AE ending up having some of the best battles, land or sea, of any mod for Attila so far!

Reading up on ancient naval warfare, it actually doesn't seem as if sails were used in battles at all. They were, in fact, rolled up before engaging and they relied on the oarsmen.

i personally don't care about the sails.

Fantastic improvement!! hyped too Petellius the only thing I dislike is that the sail mast is a bit forward that it should be. It should be placed at the center of the ship. Also big ships carried 2 sails but I see this was maybe a trirreme unit?

Nice to see you have visited my island lol you should come again for sure now that you're older

MOS-Lukas-Dwarf's Avatar Tiro

Now can we please go back the the point I made about how what we all wanted Rome 2 to be is now actually a reality! Those 'pre alpha' videos are what AE now looks like, and I'm super super excited about that! I'm hyped, never mind you guys!
    Holy those are amazing! WELL DONE HOLY !!! Impressive work my god I cant handle it, its beautiful and really makes the ships look truly impressive!
    "You must be king before the long night begins... Only you can unite the living against the dead"

++ The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors ++

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My, my... They ARE much better looking with sails! However, like I said before, perhaps you should edit the sails a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Fantastic improvement!! hyped too Petellius the only thing I dislike is that the sail mast is a bit forward that it should be. It should be placed at the center of the ship. Also big ships carried 2 sails but I see this was maybe a trirreme unit?
    Well, you're right - It IS a bit forward than it should be:

Using Light Liburnian sail model directly on Triremes still have problems on where the ropes are tethered. Its not that clear on your screenshots, but I marked them to make it more apparent.

Light Liburnian sails fits Quinquireme perfectly though

Now, about Heavy Liburnian double sails, sadly its still too big for Quinquireme model

But it seems quite well on a Hexeres or Octeres - its still too low, too close to the deck though

Barbarian ships are mostly too small. Light Longship sails fits Barbarian Heavy Raider length, but not width.

TLDR, I think you guys should edit the models a bit, adjust the ropes and whatnot. But still, They are looking good!

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    Reading up on ancient naval warfare, it actually doesn't seem as if sails were used in battles at all. They were, in fact, rolled up before engaging and they relied on the oarsmen.
    They look fantastic, but isn't this in fact true?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Triumph of Rome View Post
    Fabulous.
    Is this the same as the Carthage in Rome II, or is it done entirely from scratch?