Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Seven updated 14/04) - restoring pics

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Seven updated 14/04) - restoring pics

Information
    I've recently started a KoDP game and thought to share it here. I've not played it in a long time so we'll see what happens. Also, the updates won't happen very regularly, but my general plan is to do one update a week (usually at the weekend). As always, comments are encouraged. Also, let me know if it would be better to put the photos in spoilers. Enjoy!
    Chapters
    Prologue - Drakkar Ancestry
    Year One in Dragon Pass - 1330
    Year Two in Dragon Pass - 1331
    Year Three in Dragon Pass - 1332
    Year Four in Dragon Pass - 1333
    Year Five in Dragon Pass - 1334
    Year Six in Dragon Pass - 1335
    Year Seven in Dragon Pass - 1336

Prologue – Drakkar Ancestry

The mighty Orlanth is our main deity, as he is father to all. When he married Ernalda, the Great Earth Goddess, the Drakkar men attended the wedding, drinking with Orlanth many a wine pitchers.

Orlanthi clans celebrating Orlanth and Ernalda's wedding

When one of Orlanth’s sons, Odayla, God of the Hunt, tracked the Sky Bear, our forefathers were there to aid him.

Even though our ancestors decided we were to be a balanced clan, neither too warlike, neither tending the fields only, during the Storm Age, we added strangers to our clan as thralls. Though there were many the foes that Orlanth fought, our worst enemies in those days were the Basmoli beastmen.

The vicious Basmoli Beastmen, lead by King Ukka Gra

At the Dawn, when the only living Gods were Odayla, the God of the Hunt, Elmal, the Loyal Thane, God of the Sun and Horses and Urox, the Storm Bull and enemy of Chaos, we first awakened Orlanth, the Father.

When the dragons came and offered all the Orlanthi clans friendship, our ancestors’ attitude toward them and their ilk was positive; we sought understanding between the two peoples and entered into their dragon knowledge, but we didn’t follow them to Dragon Pass. Alas, they turned upon all who lived there and killed them all.

The slaughter of Dragon Pass

Two hundred years later we decided, among others, to make the dangerous trek to Dragon Pass. Upon our arrival we claimed more land than we needed, to grow into. We settled, building a clan hall and steads, as well as a temple to Orlanth, but upon leaving Heortland, we lost much of our connection with the gods.

The Drakkar village in Dragon Pass

Drakkar History

Thus starts clan Drakkar’s life anew, here, in Dragon Pass.

Arnbord, leader of the Drakkar Clan

Arnbord has declared that in preparation for our first year in Dragon Pass, we should allot part of our clan magic to our herds and war, so that we may both protect ourselves and raid others for more cattle.

Meanwhile, Sartar, a follower of Eurmal, the Trickster God, has a plan of his own.

Sartar, troublemaker extraordinaire

Last edited by Darkan; May 04, 2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added Chapters
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass] The Drakkar Saga

I remember playing King of Dragon Pass a year ago or so. Great game!

I'm liking the starting of this, keep it up! I'll be following!

Kind regards,

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

A good start! I'm wondering who the friends and enemies of your clan are (I know that they are emigrants from other clans in Heortland, of course), how the clan magic will be allocated and what Sartar's plans will be.

You asked whether readers would like pictures in spoilers. My preference is to have the pictures without spoilers, as you have done here. I'm going to want to see your pictures, so putting them in spoilers - for me - simply causes me to need to keep clicking as I read your chapter. (I know that some writers and readers do prefer pictures in spoilers - it's simply a question of personal preferences.)

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    I remember playing King of Dragon Pass a year ago or so. Great game!

I'm liking the starting of this, keep it up! I'll be following!

Kind regards,

Tigellinus
    Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It is a great game indeed. Strangely enough, one of the things I like best about it is the rich mythology and the amount of lore in the game is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    A good start! I'm wondering who the friends and enemies of your clan are (I know that they are emigrants from other clans in Heortland, of course), how the clan magic will be allocated and what Sartar's plans will be.

You asked whether readers would like pictures in spoilers. My preference is to have the pictures without spoilers, as you have done here. I'm going to want to see your pictures, so putting them in spoilers - for me - simply causes me to need to keep clicking as I read your chapter. (I know that some writers and readers do prefer pictures in spoilers - it's simply a question of personal preferences.)
    I'm not sure how the enemies/friends are allocated, I imagine it depends on the difficulty. Regarding the pics, I decided to have but not really have spoilers. Each update will probably be one year, though if it seems to be too little, let me know. The thing is that I have about 20 pics per update and it takes a while to get them ready, as I usually edit them to give the most amount of info in one picture. But the seasons will probably be in content boxes.

We'll see how it goes.
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Year One in Dragon Pass - 1330

Sea Season
    The clan was weary after the long journey and the fact that they now had to plant the fields did not help. They did it, but their mood was not good. Thus, they demanded a change in leadership. Sartar, a member of the clan ring, agreed whole-heartedly with the people.

“Indeed, we’ve walked for miles and now the leaders want us to work? I say we have some new elections!”

Thus, the clan elected a new Chief and other members to the ring...except Sartar himself. He was the only one who kept his position, after convincing the people with a short speech.

“I know of the old ring’s plans and I can guide the new Chief as well as council the ring. Don’t forget, for our clan magic to be strong, we need the ring to have representatives of different gods, and I am the only one that follows Eurmal. Hehe!”

CLAN DRAKKAR RING

Gustand – Clan Chieftain, the clan listens to him if nobody has a better plan
    Varmand – Clan Warleader, leads the clan on all raids, both offensive and defensive
    Orngerin – Clan Lawspeaker, helps the clan by knowing all precedents or lack thereof
    Elmalandti – Clan Tradesmaster, the first to be sent as envoy
    Salinarg – Clan Magicwielder, advises the clan ring in all magic related situations
    Aski – Clan Animalhandler, represents the farmers’ interests
    Sartar – Clan Trickster, does whatever he wishes, mostly

As the people were working in the fields, one of the clan’s women disappeared, but we noticed bite marks, probably a wolf. Seeing as Aski’s knowledge of all things animal is renowned, the clan ring decides to follow his advice and send everyone available to track and find the wolf.

Upon finding the beast our people slew it and brought back with them two young children, but they were sullen and unresponsive. Alas, they disappeared on the night of the following full moon.

Fire Season
    The time to clash has come. Our clan is feuding with two others, the Eagle and the Lysang clans. Our first action was against the Eagle clan, as they are closer to our borders. We decided to go on a cattle raid, sending just a handful of warriors to steal cows. Our action was successful and we now have 23 more cows, making everyone happier.

[
    Elmalandti found out more information about the wolf that killed one of our women.

A strange group arrived to our tula during Fire Season. People were weary of these strangers and only the occasional child would follow them around. Instead of raiding again, and under orders from Gustand, we decided to kill them. They were formidable foes, however, and they possessed powerful magic as well. They felled many of our warriors and wounded others, while we only managed to slay the puny duck. As they retreated, the adventurers took its body so we couldn’t loot it.

Earth Season
    Orstanor, one of the weaponthanes wanted vengeance against the men who had killed his father many years before. The ring was torn between either raiding the Undaroli clan, risking to start yet another feud or demanding wergild for the slain man. Orngerin and Aski were the two strongest speakers for these two plans. Seeing as how many of our weaponthanes had died at the hands of the adventurers, we decided to send a delegation and demand wergild for Rastorlanth’s death.

We praised Aski for his wise words and scolded Orngerin for her troublesome approach.

With the Dark Season approaching, and with our forces stretched thin, we decided to send Elmalandti to the Lysang clan with an offer to end the feud.
    Dark Season
    We wanted to appease our ancestors so we sacrificed a thrall and a few cows to them, and they responded by teaching us the Summons of Evil ritual, so that we may battle our ancient enemy, the Basmoli Beastmen.

Salinarg the Magicwielder, however, spoiled everybody’s mood by reminding us that human sacrifice is something that good Orlanthi don’t practice.

“Bah, what good is a thrall then? We’ve always had thralls and sometimes it’s better to sacrifice one instead of cows.” Sartar didn’t really care much about the thralls.

Some of our women met a talking fox with an interesting proposal. Upon bringing this to the ring to decide, our Magicwielder Salinarg thought we should agree, while Aski, the Animalhandler believed the fox was lying. In need of some good luck after recent events, the clan ring decided to listen to Salinarg and hope for the best.

This is also when Elmalandti reached the Lysang with our plea for peace. He offered the feuding clan 77 cows worth of goods and, pleased by our generosity, they accepted. While this pleased the weaponthanes, it upset the farmers, as they believed we have squandered the precious goods.

Storm Season

We used the respite of the Storm Season to hire more weaponthanes as well as more hunters, in preparation for next year. We now had 19 weaponthanes and 20 hunters.

We sent a party led by Jarstakos to explore our tula and find out more about it. They found a cave full of dangerous, armored rodents on our tula.

“Mmm, delicious but hardly a threat. I can solve this easily.”

Sartar proved his worth, probably for the first time, and led the rodents towards our enemies, the Eagle clan.

Aski proved his wisdom once again, despite his young age, though this time we didn’t listen to him.

Sacred Time

Our ancestors were unhappy with us. Perhaps Salinarg was right when saying we shouldn’t sacrifice thralls. For the following year we decided to allocate some of our clan magic to crops and herds, as per usual, but also to health, war and mysteries. We just have to remember to learn something new, to appease the ancestors.

Last edited by Darkan; May 25, 2018 at 12:55 PM.
    DuckDuckGo

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year One updated 24/02)

The text and the pics seems to be bleeding off the right screen edge. Maybe it is my browser. I do not know. I will follow this for now though. It seems interesting. If it is me, and you have a suggestion on how I can fix this, I would be most grateful.

Edit: I changed the text size and overall zoom -- better but now I cannot with my poor eyes read it. I seem to need the zoom at 125% and the text size on large. Sigh.
    Last edited by NorseThing; February 23, 2018 at 07:14 PM.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I don't know what might be causing this. I'm using Chrome and everything is fine. Some pics are large but otherwise their text would be unreadable. As for the text, I believe it's "standard" forum text. Hopefully someone might know more!
    DuckDuckGo

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I had a look, NorseThing, and that is just the default text font and size. (I know it says I edited your post, Darkan. I didn't change anything; I just accidentally clicked on 'save' instead of 'cancel'. Sorry about that. )

I've tried looking at this page both in Firefox and in Chrome. Even if I increase the zoom level, the pictures and text don't bleed off the edge of the screen. I'm sorry; that doesn't really help you know what's going on. What browser are you using?

Getting back to the AAR, I'm really enjoying this, Darkan. I haven't played King of Dragon Pass, but it looks fun!

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Getting back to the AAR, I'm really enjoying this, Darkan. I haven't played King of Dragon Pass, but it looks fun!
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it. The game is indeed fun, I remember rading the manual (yes, it has one and it recommends players to read it) that you have to think like an Orlanthi, that modern day perceptions and prejudices don't apply to the world of Glorantha.
    DuckDuckGo

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Well for now I will rezoom for the pictures and deal with the lost text bleed off. I am using the 'standard' ms 7 package. I am guessing I will need to look to chrome and my 'problem' will be resolved. Sorry to be a bother.

Good update! It sounds like the Telmori could be a problem and I'm enjoying seeing how your clan reacts to the dilemmas and challenges they face.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Well for now I will rezoom for the pictures and deal with the lost text bleed off. I am using the 'standard' ms 7 package. I am guessing I will need to look to chrome and my 'problem' will be resolved. Sorry to be a bother.
    Let us know if the issue is solved wiht Chrome. You could give Opera a try as well and don't worry there's no bother.
    Good update! It sounds like the Telmori could be a problem and I'm enjoying seeing how your clan reacts to the dilemmas and challenges they face.
    Trust me, it's enjoying and surprising for me as well. I would usually choose different to some/most of the clan's leaders but for the purpose of the campaign and AAR I will only choose something they would (granted, sometimes the lesser of the evils). I believe the events are randomised and can be full of surprise, some might have a resolution within the same year while others might not have an impact until later.
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Year Two in Dragon Pass - 1331

Sea Season
    Once again we sent Jarstakos to explore our territory and the group found an old series of sacred stones in a forest clearing. While Salinarg and Aski were debating whether to leave the stones alone or try to awaken the stone spirits, Sartar arrived.

“Well, well, what do we have here? Spirits, you say? This will please me...err...Eurmal greatly. Come on, let’s get them out of the ground!”

This made both Salinarg and Aski agree that a divination should be conducted. The spirits of our ancestors let Salinarg know that the slumbering stone spirits were indeed dragonfriends, but that they were also evil. They said we should leave them alone. To be safe, and much to Sartar’s disappointment, we let the stones alone, and told our hunters to stay away from them.

With almost the entire clan working hard in the fields, nobody spotted the woman until she entered the clan hall. She offered us a baby she had cared for. Her claims made everyone turn toward Varmand, the Warleader, who wholeheartedly urged us to adopt baby Kallyr. Thus, a future Drakkar warrior was welcomed into the clan.

Aski the Animalhandler came forth with an issue for the ring. Our increase in arable land caused a lack of workforce that not even our 8 thralls could compensate for. Thus, we sent men forth looking for others wanting to join us, but we didn’t want to upset other clans by taking their people so we looked only for our kinsmen left in Heortland and any worthy wanderers.

Our last action before the war season was to send Elmalandti to our allies, the Fire Quartz clan, to try and establish a regular trading route.

Fire Season
    Our cattle raid didn’t manage to catch the Eagle clan unawares. Our eleven men faced more than thirty Eagles so we had to spend some clan magic to allow them to escape, or at least survive. Luckily, none were captured but we also didn’t get to steal any cattle.

At least our trade mission was lucky, as Elmalandti returned with good news and a small profit.

Taking this as a good sign, we decided to properly raid the Eagles again, this time with some help from our allies and new trading partners, the Fire Quartz clan. The remainder of our clan magic went to this raid, as Varmand bravely lead our soldiers and thanes.

Our skirmishing tactics worked, and the forty auxiliaries we had sent proved to be invaluable. Even though the raid failed, the losses we caused the Eagles will undoubtedly weaken them come next year’s Fire Season. Still, the great Elmal and Humakt seemed not to favour our warriors.

Earth Season
    At the beginning of harvest time we sacrificed 15 cows worth of goods to Barntar the Plowman, son of Orlanth and Ernalda.

A serious issue was brought before the clan ring. Apparently some Drakkar men have been disappearing into the woods regularly, to visit a mysterious woman. For once, most of the ring was in agreement, planning to either ask those suspected or send someone to scare her.

“What’s happened! A woman? Our men? Nah, couldn’t be! Besides, it’s too trivial a matter to get involved.” Sartar was an optimist at heart, though his trickster ways surely exaggerated his optimism.

Orngerin the Lawspeaker was in charge of the interrogations, though nobody admitted to having visited the woods recently.

Jarstakos was tasked with exploring our tula yet again, and returned with what seemed to be good news. We now boasted with having another sought after material for our craftsmen.

Loud voices were heard outside the clan hall and Vastyr, one of the weaponthanes, led a small group inside. Due to the recent military disasters and inability to secure cattle, they asked the ring to recruit more thanes. They argued that other clans will see us as weak and despise us. This was a serious enough issue, so the leaders looked to Gustand to decide.

“No good Orlanthi will take advantage of a weaker clan! You’ll see, they won’t raid us come Fire Season. Maybe the Eagles will even end the feud. Hehe, I have a good feeling about it.”

Nobody really listened to Sartar so Gustand asked Elmalandti if he was inclined to go and recruit more thanes. Thus, it was decided that the clan Tradesmaster would spend five seasons out of the village and only get the best of the best. Perhaps he would make a profit in the meantime as well.

Dark Season
    To appease both the thanes and the farmers, the ring decided to throw a feast and invite the neighbouring clans.

“Invite them, it’s the Dark Season, surely some will be unable to come...what with the blizzards and all. Mmm, let’s feast, friends. Thrall, bring Elmalandti’s bowl closer!” Sartar is a friendly one indeed.

After the feast was over, while the people rejoiced, disaster struck yet again. Lhankpent, one of the carls, died when plants sprouted from his body. This soured the mood again. Salinarg inspected the body and proposed to cast a spell and lift the curse cast on the clan by the mysterious wood nymph. Alas, he forgot our clan magic was weak. The chieftain then decided to sacrifice to Ernalda, the Mother Goddess, but this too had little effect as three more carls died in terrible agony.

After this event, the clan ring believed the woman had been sent as a curse so they revised the relationships with neighbouring and known clans, apart from the Eagle clan, with which we have a feud. Two of the clans owed us favours so they were the first to be suspected.

North of our stead our scouts found a village inhabited by strange creatures. Gustand and Salinarg both jump up at the possibility of attacking them, even though they aren’t the same as our ancient enemies. Their decision was overturned by Orngerin’s words and also by the fact that Varmand the Warleader didn’t support them. We asked them to feed 150 people each year but they refused. To avoid a war breaking out, we settled for 50.

Storm Season
    Our lack of success during Fire Season made the ring send another Cattle Raid now. While it’s not uncommon, raiding during Storm Season betrayed our desperation and need to improve everyone’s morale. Luckily, Varmand reported a success.

A large group of clanswomen burst into the hall, demanding the ring address a dire situation. Varmand suggested the Eagle clan was to blame and was ready to prepare the thanes for a raid, but after conducting a divination the ring found out some of the can members had disturbed an unknown hero’s tomb. We propitiated the hero and everything went back to normal.

Voskandora, a tradeswoman from our neighbouring clan, the Blue Spruce, came and offered an incredibly low price for the ivory Jarstakos had found. His counter-offer, though perfectly fair and laudable, was refused by Voskandora, who left empty-handed.

Right before Sacred Time, Jarstakos presented yet another find before the ring, all the while Aski complaining about the lack of hands to work the fields.

“You’re too soft on the thralls, my dear Aski!” Of course, Sartar’s comments didn’t really help solve the issue.
    Sacred Time
    In preparation for the coming year, the clan magic was distributed to crops and herds, but also to health, to reassure the women that the ring cared for the children’s well-being, as well as war. The omens were good and hopefully our raiding bad luck would be over.

Last edited by Darkan; March 03, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
    DuckDuckGo

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Two updated 03/03)

Good update, the events are certainly full of surprises! It sounds like clan magic is a vital resource, for example in the role that it played in the success of raids (or the survival of the warriors sent on an unsuccessful raid). It's interesting that the events and dilemmas often have a moral dimension, for example in the mysterious woman in the woods and the opportunity to drive the small, inhuman creatures from their fertile valley, or to demand tribute from them.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Two updated 03/03)

Year Three in Dragon Pass - 1332

Sea Season
    Early during the Sea Season Jarstakos again went exploring. The clan ring was determined to know everything about their territory.

Rememvering Aski’s words, the ring decided to send messengers back to Heortland and talk to our kinsmen there, with promises that if they join the clan, they would receive wealth.

Preparing for the raiding season, the clan sent Jarstakos to the Bachadi accompanied only by footmen, tasked with establishing yet another trade route.

As soon as Jarstakos left, a large group of people approached the Drakkar tula. Aski was the one who met them and then reported to the ring.

The clan was happy when a large number of Odayla followers came to the tula, and the clan ring was in agreement as well. Among them were Eagle clansmen as well, but for such a religious task all feuds are put aside.

Fire Season
    The omens from the previous year’s Sacred Time were clear, so we sent precisely 6 weaponthanes and 6 footmen to raid the Eagle clan and the results were as expected.

News reached us both from the Apple clan, as well as from the Bachadi clan, where Jarstakos had been sent on a trade mission.

“So Bolik is selfish and merciful hey? Well, that’s an odd combination, though I’ve seen worse.” The people didn’t know if Sartar was referring to himself or not.

We asked our allies to help us properly raid the Eagles and they sent us worthy warriors. Everything was set. We outnumbered them and we used clan magic to help carry the victory.

Alas, it was not meant to be. The Eagle clan surely has some kind of spirits protecting them and aiding them in battle.

Those dangerous rodents returned somehow, killing a thane and causing general havoc. Gustand’s reply when he heard of the news was worthy of a great Orlanthi chieftain, so once again Sartar was called upon.

“I know, I know, I’m needed again. Pff, I don’t know what you’d do without me”.
    Earth Season
    Orlkensor and his family came from distant Esrolia, to ask for membership in our clan. A heated debate started as to how that could happen. Of course, some members of the ring didn’t really know what they were talking about. The Lawspeaker Orngerin was clear in what the precedent was.

“Well hello there, you’re lucky! You’ll be serving the great Drakkar clan. Now fetch some wine!” Sartar always made people feel welcomed.

Elmalandti finally returned from his recruiting mission with 11 new weaponthanes, which put the total number of Drakkar thanes at 30.

Good news continued for the Drakkar Clan. The Blue Spruce traders wanted our iron and Grivton, one of the Drakkar nobles, reported that the Odayla ritual had been successful.

During our harvesting, the fyrd had to be summoned as strange people trespassed onto our territory. Since they weren’t Orlanthi, our plan was to capture as many as possible and make them into thralls.

A married couple’s divorce came to the attention of the clan ring. Jorator and Minara couldn’t live together anymore, and something that usually ends privately was now in the forefront of the Drakkar gossip machine. Minara wanted her exact dowry back, which of course was impossible. The ring deferred to the Lawspeaker’s decision, though Orngerin seemed to be the only one who cared about the law.

“Heort’s Law speaks clearly. She is correct; we should dig up the cows’ bones and give them to her.” Thankfully for the Drakkar reputation, Sartar’s solution passed, if not unnoticed, at least without consequences.

Traders of the Bachad clan wanted to know the source of our gemstones, though their payment left a lot to be desired. Elmalandti refused them and then told the ring that the clan couldn’t support so many trade partners. Sadly, the trade agreement with the Fire Quartz clan had to be cancelled.

Dark Season
    As soon as the Dark Season fell upon us the ring decided to have a feast, but then the filthy trolls arrived, uninvited. Varmand led our defensive forces bravely and we managed to kill more than they did. Sadly, the last reserves of our clan magic were spent.

Salinarg organised a sacrifice to Orlanth, hoping to learn one of His useful blessings. Instead, he gave Salinarg information about one of the myths. Perhaps this is what the Drakkar should focus towards?

Varmand then brought terrible news, we now had yet another foe to be mindful of in these lands.

Gustand and Salinarg discussed the recent livestock problem, an epidemic that affected the sheep. While Gustand wanted something be done, Salinarg argued it was better to call upon Nevala the Ewe Mother priestesses.

We sacrificed to Issaries, God of Trade and Communication and he rewarded the clan with Silvertongue, so that the Drakkar traders might be more successful.

Storm Season
    We sent a small force to Cattle Raid the Eagles and Orngerin cautioned the ring to a possible new feud.

The Eagle Clan responded soon after with a cattle raid, but they sent more people than usual. We lacked clan magic so instead we decided to teach them a lesson, by charging and attempting to capture their raiders. After the battle one of the weaponthanes died but not because of injuries.

Sacred Time
    We now had more people but less cattle, which every Orlanthi knows is not good. The god-talkers knew we would have a better harvest than usual, which meant we could skip over the magic allocation for crops, but there were no omens regarding our feud with the Eagle Clan or our military blunders. They countered us at every turn apparently. This is why two points of the clan magic were allocated to war, so that we might get the upper hand. The other three points went to diplomacy, trade and herds.

DuckDuckGo

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Three updated 09/03)

It sounds your growing clan has a reputation which has travelled far, since all sorts of wanderers and raiders are turning up - and then some increasingly nasty-looking foes. Adopting people from your distant relatives sounds like a wise move. I imagine that adopting people from nearby clans (potential rivals) could cause other clans to learn more about your clan's wealth and its defences than you would like. It sounds like the Eagle Clan are going to have to be dealt with, one way or another.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Three updated 09/03)

It sounds your growing clan has a reputation which has travelled far, since all sorts of wanderers and raiders are turning up - and then some increasingly nasty-looking foes.
    The range of possible foes is quite extensive in KoDP, aside from other clans. In the Prologue the Beastmen were stated as the clan's bitterest enemy, though you chose from a list.

Adopting people from your distant relatives sounds like a wise move. I imagine that adopting people from nearby clans (potential rivals) could cause other clans to learn more about your clan's wealth and its defences than you would like.
    T|he first stage is a drop in relations (clans' names turned redder and redder) which can lead to a feud, yes. I'm trying to be generally friendly/neutral.

It sounds like the Eagle Clan are going to have to be dealt with, one way or another.
    That is my plan, to focus on them for a bit. We'll see how it goes.

The only problem I have with this is I have to force myself into not playing a lot, else I would be too far in front of the updates.
    DuckDuckGo

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Four updated 17/03)

Year Four in Dragon Pass - 1333

Sea Season
    A few farmers found a strange bone while sowing the fields. Some ring members argued it was connected with the dragons, whom our ancestors befriended and we should display it or brag to other clans, but in the end Elmalandti’s view prevailed.

Te ring decided yet again to send word to Heortland and speak to our kin who stayed behind. Offering them land and cattle, the ring planned to farm more land.

A very uncommon situation was brought before the ring. While most agreed something had to be done, they looked to Salinarg to solve the issue. He was unsure of how to do this, so then they called Sartar.

“The dead are very stupid indeed, though in this case we are doubly fortunate: Rostalos wasn’t the smartest piglet in the sty.”

Four families arrived from Heortland and were welcomed into the Drakkar clan.

Fire Season
    We raided the Eagles and managed to steal 34 cows from them, which everybody agreed was a good thing. Over the last few years we’ve only raided them, save for the occasional retaliation. The feud runs deep and it’s quite apparent that both Drakkar and Eagle clan cannot both live in Dragon Pass. Still, peace has been made among worst enemies before.

One of the ring goals was to acquire more treasures, therefore Elmalandti was sent to the Fire Quartz to try and buy one of theirs, offering sizeable payment.

The clan was visited by followers of Yinkin, the God of Alynxes. They offered their ritual magic to improve the alynxes around our tula and the ring members offered various payments. The ring followed Aski’s advice, but it was not enough. Something else would have to do.

Yinkin, God of Alynxes

Once more we asked our allies, the Fire Quartz clan, to aid us in raiding the Eagle clan. They sent brave warriors and we marched onto the Eagle tula.

Earth Season
    Our valiant explorer Jarstakos returned with a lot of goods that were seemingly abandoned within the boundaries of our tula, but Aski wasn’t impressed, and he addressed the ring, reminding them how hard the farmers’ lives were.

As the clan ring gathered into the great hall, armed thanes attacked them before our warriors could intervene. Salinarg and Sartar were both wounded. When confronted, they merely shrugged and said they didn’t hate us, it was just their job. While Gustand was at a loss for words, the other ring members debate on which course of action to take. Something had to be done!

The ring wanted to focus entirely on the Eagle clan, which meant we couldn’t have more enemies. Our envoy to the duck village was well received.

Dark Season
    When an Eagle clan trader reached our tula people feared the worst. His claims regarding another trader didn’t help and while some ring members considered what he had said, Orngerin’s common sense prevailed.

“Don’t break both his legs, even if he is an Eagle. A trader needs to go around, though if I think about it, he doesn’t need both arms.” If there was one thing Sartar knew, it was how to keep the people on his side.

Remembering how much damage the Vingan warrior women did to our hall, the ring decided to sacrifice to Vinga, the Adventuress, patron of warrior women. She blessed the clan and now our womenfolk could participate in raiding.

Vinga the Adventuress
    Storm Season
    The Eagles came on a full blown raid, which was no wonder, after having captured their kin and beaten their trader. Varmand organised the defense and Salinarg performed the rituals, aiding with all our clan magic. We wanted to punish them for their insolence, therefore we raided them soon after. We asked the Randani clan, north of the Eagles, to help us.

Sacred Time
    This was a good year for the Drakkar clan, barring some mishaps and unforeseen situations. Even so, spirits were high and in preparation for the next year, the clan ring decided to allocate some magic to diplomacy, so that we might make other clans like us more, except the Eagle clan, herds and trade, as the opinion still was we needed more treasures, as well as one for war, to continue punishing our enemies.

DuckDuckGo

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    The only problem I have with this is I have to force myself into not playing a lot, else I would be too far in front of the updates.
    I have that problem too! It's so tempting to keep playing and for the game-play to get far ahead of the AAR. Sometimes I don't mind that, if it allows me to experiment with different directions in which the AAR could go - as long as I can return to a saved game and continue the AAR. Another option is to speed up time - you could summarise what happened in a year, or a series of years, in a single paragraph or even a sentence if you wanted to.

Good update! Sartar's solution to the problem of the pig-herder sounds suitably cunning, I hope that nobody rolls away that stone! It sounds like the alliance with the Fire Qartz clan is useful and that the war against the Eagles is challenging, with good days and bad days. I also hope that the Cabbage Ducks will survive!
    Last edited by Alwyn; March 20, 2018 at 09:14 AM.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [King of Dragon Pass AAR] The Drakkar Saga (Year Four updated 17/03)

Year Five in Dragon Pass - 1334

Sea Season
    As the clan only possessed one treasure, the ring decided to get more. They sent Elmalandti to the Orlmarth tula to buy theirs, but sadly couldn’t strike a deal. Meanwhile, Aski came to the ring with a small issue, but one that had to be addressed.

A terrible situation was brought before the clan ring. The Drakkar chief, Gustand, knew something had to be done so he waited to see what the other ring members proposed. Elmalandti offered to go in search of priestesses of Chalana Arroy, Godess of Health and Healing while Salinarg proposed to use clan magic to cure her.

Chalana Arroy, Godess of Health and Healing

Fire Season
    Another sanctioned cattle raid was organised against the Eagles.

Varmand then lead an all out attack against them, to try and impoverish them further, but no magic was used in this attack.

Earth Season
    Continuing to improve relations with other neighbouring clans, Elmalandti was sent to the Enhyli clan with a gift of 30 food.

As soon as he returned from the Enhyli, Elmalandti was back on the road, visiting the Cabbage Ducks, whom we had gifted prior. His intention, under instructions from the ring, was to again try and buy a treasure.

A concerned mother brought an issue to the ring. The clan leaders all had different opinions and a consensus couldn’t be reached, therefore Salinarg, due to his magic experience, imposed his.

“I believe her, we should get a few workers and split open the rock, see what’s inside.” Luckily, Sartar’s words fell on deaf ears.

Aski, as representative of the farmers, brought news regarding the last harvest, and Elmalandti returned from his treasure buying mission from the Cabbage Ducks.

Dark Season
    We sacrificed to our ancestors to help us summon our ancient enemies. After the ritual, the battle started and we killed many of them.

The most terrible thing that could have happened, has happened. Perhaps this was a punishment for our inability to overcome our ancient foes. Whatever the case, the ring members all spoke with one voice, perhaps save Sartar.

Storm Season
    Having successfully kept the Chaos spirits at bay, we were raided by the Eagle clan, and during the battle Jarstakos saw Orlanth’s rage against the enemies.

Having learned about our recent troubles, another clan, the Rangdani, tried to plunder our tula. Once again, it was Jarstakos who distinguished himself in battle.

We returned the favour and our Drakkar cattle raiders were favoured by the gods.

Elmalandti was sent to the Antorling clan to buy one of their treasures. Not having enough goods for the trade, he decided to offer them livestock instead.

Once more the Eagle clan tried to raid us. It is clear they are becoming more and more desperate, with two raids during Storm Season. Our thrall population increased.

Sacred Time
    The Drakkar clan was hit by numerous terrible acts and events this year, but even so, the people were in high spirits as none of these actions had a long-lasting impact. The omens said we should pay some attention to Odayla, Clan magic was allocated as per usual, in crops and herds, which are our life line, and one in war and trade, to help Elmalandti and the Drakkar traders get even more treasures.

Odayla the Hunter

DuckDuckGo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast