Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Decision] Increased Award Levels for the Picture of the Week Contest

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default [Decision] Increased Award Levels for the Picture of the Week Contest

Author: Van Zandt
    Support: Commissar Caligula_, King Athelstan, z3n, Cokkiegod
    CDeC Support:

In March 2008 I proposed the legislation that established the awards for the Picture of the Week Contest (POTW). Over the years several dominate members have achieved the highest award, the gold medal. It seems clear that additional levels should be made available to encourage continued participation and creativity in this contest.

Therefore, I propose that three additional levels be added to the award system, and a medal design contest be established to choose new designs for these levels.

New suggested levels:

Emerald: 21 or more wins.

Ruby: 27 or more wins

Amethyst: 33 or more wins

Original legislation, back in 2008 the awards were actually a part of the constitution.

The Picture of the Week (POTW) contest is an intregral part of the TW community and as such members deserve recognition via a medal system. The POTW medal system would encourage creativity and participation, as well as increase the level of competition.

This proposal would add the following to Section 5 (Additional Provisions) - Article 2 (Community Medals) of the Constitution.

Picture of the Week Medal

Winners of the Picture of the Week contest (POTW) qualify for the POTW medal. The medal will be awarded according to the following schedule;

3-8 wins - bronze medal

9-14 wins - silver medal

15+ wins - gold medal

Any member, Peregrinus or higher, can qualify for this award.
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; March 26, 2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add information

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: [Decision] Increased Award Levels for the Picture of the Week Contest

I'm a bit skeptic about changing the award level, just because staff medal has extended the level of the staff medal and that for a good reason. Especially, when it lacks a good reason of why to change that.

Opposed.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Decision] Increased Award Levels for the Picture of the Week Contest

There are 44 people with the bronze medal, 9 with the silver, and 14 with the gold. I don't feel like there's an enough of an excess of gold rank holders to justify doubling the amount of rankings.

Opposed.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm casting no vote, but a few thoughts on this. While it is not strictly necessary nor does it ultimately 'do' anything, it doesn't hurt, it gives people a bit more to strive for, and it the fact that staff did it at a point when it made sense gives precedence for something like this to be done. TWC has no precedence, by contrast, in holding back adding awards on grounds like these. Gold outnumbering silver by a substantial margin indicates clearly a few people are lounging at the apparent max, and so it would indicate that such awards would end up with use, particularly given the contest has gone on for a bit, as compared to 'wellp I'm done, time to be in the gold club with the other regular lads'. If anything, there's a bit more of interest the common user can partake in without acquiring 3 different staff titles and several related staff awards. Makes things just a bit more interesting.

I often oppose things for having an insignificant net sum, but my opinion on the entire business aside, in context this would be enough for me to say give it a try based on the above. Doesn't require much to pull off/maintain and might actually be nice for the given area. So I'd suggest against dismissing it out of hand. There's even a bit of the above in the OP.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; March 22, 2020 at 06:18 PM.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

With the actual lack of activity, I'm afraid that such proposal would be counter productive. Opposed.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Support. I'd say there should be a bigger jump between each level though, with Amethyst being awarded at 50 wins perhaps. That would give me 9 more wins to strive for.

Also the competitions do have a lot of activity, what are you guys even on about?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Support. I'd say there should be a bigger jump between each level though, with Amethyst being awarded at 50 wins perhaps. That would give me 9 more wins to strive for.

Also the competitions do have a lot of activity, what are you guys even on about?
    Seconded.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Opposed

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

My fellow members of TWC, you are of course very welcome to discuss this if you wish to.

However, you should bear in mind that PotW is not a Curial competition. It is run by Content Staff, and decisions about awards for Content competitions are made by the appropriate Content Staff together with Content Hex.

The most appropriate place if you would like to discuss this is therefore Q&S. Please feel free to post your suggestions for Content competitions there - perhaps on the Content Commentary Thread - we're always interested to hear them.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

At the very least this thread could serve as a proposition to the content sector, given proper arguments being employed. It's not like it isn't seen here as compared to there, which may actually have less exposure than here in the first place even if they'll both be caught up to eventually.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Interesting that everyone who's opposed to this are people who don't have any Picture competition medals at all... I sense jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    At the very least this thread could serve as a proposition to the content sector, given proper arguments being employed. It's not like it isn't seen here as compared to there, which may actually have less exposure than here in the first place even if they'll both be caught up to eventually.
    Yeah agreed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post

That's probably the last one still having some. I also remember that your predecessor at the head of that department mentionned some decrease of activity there as well by the past.
    But yeah, what the hell. I'm correcting my previous position to abstain. As Caillagh said, not a curial business in any case.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    That's probably the last one still having some. I also remember that your predecessor at the head of that department mentionned some decrease of activity there as well by the past.
    But yeah, what the hell. I'm correcting my previous position to abstain. As Caillagh said, not a curial business in any case.
    Fully agree

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Sentiment is in the right place, but doesn't creating more medals kind of denigrate the meaning of those already earned.

I assume there is a hall of fame for those who have reached a higher level of victories, I'd also imagine being top of that list would mean more than crashing through one ceiling to find, another.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

There is indeed a leaderboard
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Sentiment is in the right place, but doesn't creating more medals kind of denigrate the meaning of those already earned.
    Not at all.

Opportunity to strive more. Zero revocation of prior medals. A bit of credit to the one who blew past the gold's minimum as compared to being identical to the one who got there and quit (for example). I don't see how it denigrates anything, merely adds to the potential. At least on anything more than a basically personal basis.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    Opportunity to strive more.
    Not having more medals does not remove that opportunity, since there is a leader board.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Awards are to reward creativity and excellence in the community. Adding additional levels provides incentive for those who have already peaked.

This system could be adopted for all of the creative contests, including the AAR and writing contests as well.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, they're not as appealing as they used to be.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Now that I have my opifex nothing else matters.

Honestly I see nothing wrong with this proposal, what harm could is possibly cause? So I can support it. It's not exactly order 66.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast