Page 5 of 378 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    That is the emergent faction in that region which represents political dissidents/alternative factions within that area. So, for now, its named the etruscan league. I already fixed their icon in the latest update. But, anyway, many emergent factions will have similar names to regions they come from,.. they are supposed to represent alternative political factions in that area.
    If the Etruscan League is an emergent faction and not the rightful owners of Arretium but some dissidents that may emerge of some reason or another, how come they become the owners of Arretium when the Ligurians liberate the city? Shouldn't a liberated city go back to the faction that owned it instead of to a group of dissidents? And how come you call the emergent faction the Etruscan League when that name is what people connect to the Tuscany area? The name Rasenna is less known and should probably fit more to an emergent faction. And as the name Rasenna means "the people" it would fit more to an alternative/dissident faction divided from the main faction, just like commoners are divided from nobles - The People (Rasenna) vs The Federation (The League).

Another thing partly connected to The Etruscans and partly to the mod in general when using the AFP submod. I know this is a Beta version of the mod and that the Etruscans aren't supposed to be played but you're kind to let us do that by using the AFP submod. I noticed there is no information about the Etruscans in the window for choosing a faction. I'm pretty sure there are other factions that aren't supposed to be played that have no information about them either. I hope though, and am certain, that you will add information about the different factions that aren't supposed to be played so we, who enjoy playing those factions, can get some background information about them.

Quote Originally Posted by gornoviceanu View Post
    ...What happened was that this "full green" faction on the diplomatic map suddenly declared war on me ... Also, after they declared war the next turn I sued for peace and they insta accepted it with "high" chance.
    That also happened in DeI 1.1 and isn't anything special for 1.2
    Last edited by Gusten Grodslukare; January 08, 2017 at 06:58 AM.

Gotta be putting feedback from my Atropatkan campaign in here and just editing the post.

Currently seems to be no reason to build the Fire Altar in the shrine tree. Tower of Silence gives +4 PO, +3 Culture Conversion and -8% provincial income. Fire Altar gives +3 PO, +2 Culture Conversion and -8% provincial income. Both give the same amount of class population increase (0.5% to both 1st and 2nd).

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by kuaminifu_mwenzi View Post
    ok following on with something someone said earlier, i think flanking penalties have been made way to high. i tested from both sides and just one unit of medium swords smashed hoplites due to the wrap around effect and they really stood no chance against just two light spear units. I have cleared out my data folder, completely validated files.
    Then do not let them to wrap around and carefully use tactics for offence/defence described in battle preview for Pikes.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Guys is the game supposed to be that easy? I am playing as Macedon on hard difficulty. Early game was quite hard but after conquest of Epirus, Sparta, Athens and Odrysian kingdom the hard part is over. No one declares war on me, I just pick them one by one and smash them. However there are factions which are way stronger than me. For example, Rome, Seleucids, Egypt. Okay Rome is having some private time with Carthage. But I feel no one will ever declare war on me. Everybody around me loves me, even Hellenistic factions(Macedon has huge diplomatic penalty against them). Will increasing the difficulty level change AI's attitude towards me? In vanilla AI often declared war on me on very hard difficulty. Even after becoming a huge empire.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Yeah, I think the scaling up on the imperium should probably be a bit faster in terms of diplomatic penalty, or of course, you could try the hard core sub mod which would mean you probably never survive the early part anyway
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Guys is the game supposed to be that easy? I am playing as Macedon on hard difficulty. Early game was quite hard but after conquest of Epirus, Sparta, Athens and Odrysian kingdom the hard part is over. No one declares war on me, I just pick them one by one and smash them. However there are factions which are way stronger than me. For example, Rome, Seleucids, Egypt. Okay Rome is having some private time with Carthage. But I feel no one will ever declare war on me. Everybody around me loves me, even Hellenistic factions(Macedon has huge diplomatic penalty against them). Will increasing the difficulty level change AI's attitude towards me? In vanilla AI often declared war on me on very hard difficulty. Even after becoming a huge empire.
    I have exactly the same feeling playing as Rome. Problem that AI is not only declaring war on the player but also not willing to fight other factions either. They just sit in own settlements with 2 stacks waiting to get killed one by one. DEI team has made such a great work concerning game-play and battle experience but after controlling 3 - 4 full regions the game is over for me. I am really wondering if there are any plans to include some mechanics from Junaidi's better CAI mode. This mode is too extreme in terms of difficulty and diplomacy nearly none existing but it really brings so much challenge even in later stages of the game where all DEI aspects could shine. I know that some of his work was already included in DEI Hardcode sub-mode that maybe worse a try but without other penalties stuff to economy aspects of the game. DEI economy system is challenging buy itself already so I would like to see only AI aggressiveness increased by a lot. In any case big thanks to all DEI team for their hard work.

We already do include some mechanics from Junaidi's BCAI mod; those have been in DeI since 1.1. It's hard to find a good spot where the AI is neither too passive nor too aggressive, and it also depends on the difficulty level you're playing on.

The Indo-Iranian light cavalry (an AOR unit) needs to be reviewed. Despite its classification as light cavalry, it has better armour than most medium cavalry units that I have seen, along with better stamina than a huge amount of light cavalry. I guess you could just rename them as "medium" cavalry, but that would still leave their really high stamina value as the OP stat that I think it is.

Thanks guys for your work. Mod is great as always.
    But i find battles way too fast now. Last one, on hard difficulty 20/20 units (Arverni/Aedui) took around 5 minutes.

Hayasdan have legionary spearmen which you have to draw from a 1st class pool, but they have worse stats then Kentronakan spearmen and also those legionaries are availibale only after reforms and Imperium level 4 which make no sense to hire them from 1st class pool when you can hire better kentronakan spaermen from a start of the game.

Generally, I think factions which have better units from the start of the game have much higher chances to win. I just could not match Sinope hoplites and infantry with ANY of Hayasdan units, well, I can't have many of kentronakan units for obvious reasons and any of my other infantry gonna lose in a close combat. This is not about specific factions concern.
    Last edited by Vardano; January 08, 2017 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    We already do include some mechanics from Junaidi's BCAI mod; those have been in DeI since 1.1. It's hard to find a good spot where the AI is neither too passive nor too aggressive, and it also depends on the difficulty level you're playing on.
    To be honest I did not noticed any improvement in terms of AI aggressiveness in DEI 1.1 or 1.2. When you are rich and strong all around want to buy treaties and not willing to mess with you at all irrespective to difficulty level. I agree that BCAI mod can be too extreme for majority of players but for me BCAI easy addition was just fine after some modifications. Together with reduced upkeep mode for early stages of the game this was the best experience so far. Current version is not working with DEI 1.2 at all and I have no clue if it will be ever updated. So I have dilemma now to play DEI 1.1 + BCAI + People of Rome or play DEI 1.2 that has such a good changes to battle mechanics.

Can someone chime in and tell us if there is an easy way to adjust the chances of the AI attacking more frequently in DeI without being suicidal?

Quote Originally Posted by KennyTheKlever View Post
    Can someone chime in and tell us if there is an easy way to adjust the chances of the AI attacking more frequently in DeI without being suicidal?
    I haven't experienced that so far, so why don't you try yourself and see what happens??

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

Something that has bugged me for a while is the shape of the imperial shields. They look a bit too flat, shouldn't they be a bit more cylindrical?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    I haven't experienced that so far, so why don't you try yourself and see what happens??
    No, I'm not saying the AI goes on suicidal attacks, I'm saying that they rarely attack at all. What I'm asking is for someone to tell me if there is any easy way in PFM to change how frequently the AI attacks in DeI, without making it so they attack so frequently that they only get together tiny armies.

The stables for Taksashila give a +2 rank for recruits at building level 3, but only +1 rank at building level 4.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 20, 2022 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Quote Originally Posted by thakey View Post
    ???????????????????????

Hi Kam and Dresden,

So I know the manner in which this poster delivered this message/screenshot was rude and infuriating, but the picture is actually a really good example of something I (and by the look of this thread, several other people as well) have experienced in many hoplite battles I've played since 1.2. As in the screenshot, I'll have a perfectly even line of hoplites with no enemy penetration whatsoever and begin to receive a flanking penalty, and hoplite units will often rout with 170, 180 and even 190 men left in the unit.

Now I know the go-to response is to say "go look at the pike preview", but on multiple occasions i've had a completely unbroken, solid line and had this issue -- the battle system overall works great, but clearly there is a discrepancy here.

As a couple other posts have said, hoplites actually perform WAY more effectively out of phalanx mode than they do in phalanx mode -- if I leave my hoplites in phalanx formation they usually end a fullstack vs. fullstack battle with about 50-80 kills each, often with 120-140 men left in the unit.

If I leave it off, however, the hoplites will kill into the hundreds, sometimes the high hundreds. I suspect this is a natural consequence of more individual men being in contact with the enemy. Now the hoplite phalanx is still useful defensively, but as of right now if you're trying to win a battle turning on the hoplite phalanx formation will actually make it harder for your units to do what you need them to do.

I totally feel you guys' pain when it comes to irritating and insulting posts like the guy who posted this screenshot with maddening and aggressive question marks -- that must be utterly infuriating. But at the same time, I really do want to ask Kam in particular -- how do we best avoid this issue? I'm trying to follow your advice in these battles to the letter, and the issue still recurs.

This is not to say that hoplites are useless or that battles with them are broken. They're still incredibly fun experiences, and the new battle system is in my opinion a massive step forward in terms of pacing, flow and most of all difficulty. I and others just really love the mod and want to give you guys the most reasonable and useful feedback possible.

I apologize if I've given offense in any way in this or previous comments on this issue. You guys have turned a mediocre game into a monument and that's something I could never do. Just wondering what yall's opinion is on how to prevent the flank penalty in frontal battles.
    Last edited by Antiochos VII Sidetes; January 08, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Is it possible that flanking penalty is received because of the friendly fire from slingers that shoot hoplites in the back?

Triari say "Pikemen?"

Triarii are now classified as hoplites/pike class. If you see only pikemen, you may be using a different game language.

---------------

In terms of AI aggressiveness, its a hard thing to balance. If we increase it even a little bit, you will have an even harder time at small faction starts (which are really hard right now). If you edit some of those variables too much, you will also begin to see more weird behavior, like declaring war them immediately asking for peace. This happens even now since Rome 2 is a random sandbox game, but it would happen quite frequently with too many changes.

The challenge of balancing the early game vs late game has always been hard in these games. We added the population system (and other systems) to try to prevent the game from becoming a steamroll, but there will almost always be a point at which the player has developed a solid footing and begins to march toward victory. It is very hard to stop that. We are working on a tribal unification idea but that is still in very early phases.

Believe it or not, the AI is actually acting rationally - which may not be best for gameplay. If you are that much more powerful, then they know they probably wouldn't fare well in a war. My preference is to add difficulty through other systems and not gamey "AI always declares war" or "AI randomly declares war" type things. I may test out increasing war declaration variables a bit in the next update to see how that goes. I may also increase diplo penalties a bit more for imperium levels. Most of our feedback so far is that 1.2 is really, really hard so we have to be careful not to make the early game even more difficult.

I can also make a version of the hardcore submod that doesn't have the economy changes.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Early game is brutal indeed. Any tips for survival as Kartli?