Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [VIDEO] Petellius's Video Previews - Naval combat video 1/29

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [Preview] Petellius's Video Updates and Previews

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Well, first of all they're the same in all WoF versions. In Ancient Empires, we've only improved on the technique (believe it or not, but there is one even for a thing like this). They're also more aligned to historical sources in this case; much was improvised in the combat preview. It's possible you haven't noticed there being as many in AE because, frankly, there aren't as many - yet. We've got 68 spacings listed now, and that's just for a small fraction of the total number of factions, as most aren't in yet. Some of them will inevitably be similar, however the final number might approach 150 or 200.

Here are some examples on variety of the Northern African and Arab factions - http://imgur.com/a/zrkwa
    I wasn't referring to the unit spacing when Idle, but to the actual combat spacing itself. Not sure if all WOF had the same combat spacing though, but the ones I compared was only the extended version and the Ancient Empires combat system for Attila, which was the one placed in the steam workshop. And combat spacing on both mods looks different. From the looks of it, the Ancient Empires version in combat spacing looked a bit the same to vanilla. Speaking of vanilla, here's some sample shots.

Vanilla Combat Spacing

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Everything was just too spread out and often times leads some men to sneak in the ranks.

Then, Warriors of the Faith's version.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The thing with WOFE's version, battles just feels more organized, compressed, and you can actually see a line in the middle that separates two different units, while not even a single guy will slip through the ranks because of how tight the formations are. Overall, battles just looks simply stunning in WOFE.

This is a thing in AE, romans are a little more spaced out but there are units that are tighter. It all depends on the factions in question
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Right, that clarifies things. It's nothing we're aiming to keep, I think. The reason why it's only in the extended version is because it's outdated, originally they were the same in that regard.

Hoplites and spearmen will generally keep more distinct ranks in the mod, whereas other units will look more like vanilla. It might look nice in a controlled environment, but once you throw in a couple of additional units, it gets very tight otherwise. There's always the option for submods. This particular feature is extremely easy to replicate, it's a mere handful values in one of the tables.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    This is a thing in AE, romans are a little more spaced out but there are units that are tighter. It all depends on the factions in question
    I thought romans where the ultimate units when it came to tight formations

Quote Originally Posted by Spadde View Post
    There's a difference between the manipular and cohort legions, and I'd say that certain phalanxes could certainly end up tighter than either (or both).

The sources all tell us the Romans had wider spacings than the phalanxes. Polybius during the Republic, and later imperial sources still attest to wider spacing with about 3 feet in between each man and 5-6 feet between ranks. They undoubtedly had times where they closed ranks, but those are what the written sources tell us.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Very interesting stuff here.
    Petelius, can i ask you something? In the first video, at a certain point (5:50), you make your whole first line step back and disengage: did you and Sheridan managed to solve the problem of the excessively blody retreats?
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Quote Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
    Very interesting stuff here.
    Petelius, can i ask you something? In the first video, at a certain point (5:50), you make your whole first line step back and disengage: did you and Sheridan managed to solve the problem of the excessively blody retreats?
    Reduced but not solved. In any case as I've managed to force the ai to replace its units through the routing mechanics you can now replace men in this brief period of quiet.

i was wondering is it possible for the ai to instead of deploying singular divisions to halt flanking maneuvers ,making a second line to fall back to ?

Quote Originally Posted by agentdragonborn View Post
    i was wondering is it possible for the ai to instead of deploying singular divisions to halt flanking maneuvers ,making a second line to fall back to ?
    It was an accident the first time, don't think I'll be able to push it any further xD

In any case it kind of does, when units rout and come back they join the reserve pool, so they would be surrounded by friendly troops and ready to hit any breakthrough the player makes.

I just watched the Test 2 video again. Looks like there came a teensy weensy problem on the AI there, by trying to slip through on all your ranks. See timeline 6:03 and look at the 2nd carthaginian unit from the left of the screen. It seems the unit AI was still locked on it's previous target which you pulled out from the back of your army.

In general, the AI seemed a bit slow to react to anything. But that's not too different than vanilla as is, no?

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    In general, the AI seemed a bit slow to react to anything. But that's not too different than vanilla as is, no?
    Hmm.. Not sure though. But in my 300 hours of playing Attila Campaign, I haven't seen the AI do that, or is it? Must be in most rare occasions. However, that's just me pointing out minor issues that I saw in the video. I just hope there's a way to fix it.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It is a know bug in Attila, AI sometimes tries to move its unit through player units or they pull units from combat but in wrong situations, for example one time my light units was getting mauled by heavier AI units which started to pull back so my levies routed them since it trigered charge.

As for the video, nothing to say about huge thumbs up, great job
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Last edited by Garensterz; September 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: It gets repetitive already

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    A most interesting point.

(Get it? xD)

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Hi Petellius just wondering how you able to work out with BAI in Attilla, is this was scripted stuff ? just curious
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze View Post
    Hi Petellius just wondering how you able to work out with BAI in Attilla, is this was scripted stuff ? just curious
    Honestly no idea xD

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    A most interesting point.

(Get it? xD)
    . It's just me hating on CA again on that post about the BAI, and I edited it out. Don't wanna start one on your videos thread.

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Can you really mod BAI? Can you make that freakin' bug that makes units run back and forth before engaging go away? - Among other things?