Thread: TWO MODS needed 'Pike and Shot' and 'Seven Years War' utilizing the LATEST TW games technology!

Default TWO MODS needed 'Pike and Shot' and 'Seven Years War' utilizing the LATEST TW games technology!

We have had 'Pike and Shot' based on Medieval II (1648) and it is very poor for 2020. We need someone to do one using the latest TW technology, please. Perhaps utilizing Attila or Thrones of Britannia or Three Kingdoms.

We have had a 'Seven Years War' game, again with very poor and dated technology and virtually unplayable in 2020. It is time for some clever guys to make one based on current technology--perhaps, utilizing Three Kingdoms.'

What do you think?

Thank-you.
    Last edited by Lannes1; May 31, 2020 at 03:30 PM.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: TWO MODS needed 'Pike and Shot' and 'Seven Years War' utilizing the LATEST TW games technology!

The farther in the series you go, the worse the technology becomes for the goal you're suggesting. Better off biting the bullet and fenagling medieval 2 into shape.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: TWO MODS needed 'Pike and Shot' and 'Seven Years War' utilizing the LATEST TW games technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Lannes1 View Post
    We have had 'Pike and Shot' based on Medieval II and it is very poor for 2020. We need someone to do one using the latest TW technology, please.

We have had a 'Seven Years War' game, again with very poor technology and virtually unplayable n 2020. It is time for some clever guys to make one based on current technology--perhaps, utilizing Three Kingdoms.'

What do you think?

Thank-you.
    what do you think about 1648 (or 30jahrige krieg)? It think it's pike-and-shot (well, a late sort of), and it's not very poor even for 2020?
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Artifex

Warscape games are not as mod-friendly as good old Medieval II. You can't fix the AI, you can't change the campaign map anymore, building slots are severely limited and there are several other annoying matters.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

As far as I'm aware making mods like the ones you're suggesting on Three Kingdoms and Warhammer Total War, even if it was possible to edit the campaign map etc, is actually prohibited by CA anyway from memory.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Nah...the statement about 3K from CA..
    1. IP such as lord of the rings, Warhammer, Disney etc - these cannot be modded into the 3K game
    2. Assets from other companies games set in the 3K period. - Mods that directly take artwork, sounds, models etc from the properties of other companies (say Koei's Dynasty warriors) will need to be moderated. For characters that have a distinct likeness, that is also protected under IP.

Similar thing can be said about Wh(s)...Don´t put there any other known IP

Using historical settings is not prohibited and if you stay away from steam....not saying that you should. Anyway, why trying to redo games that are not suited for it when there are perfectly fine games like Empire,Napoleon and FotS? Those are newer then Med2 and have focus on gunpowder era unlike ToB, Wh(s) and 3K?
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

The reason why not Empire and Napoleon is that they are not of the same visual quality as the latest TW games.

Do you think Shogun 2 could be modded into both a Pike and Shot and also Seven Years War? What about the map of Japan?

I do not know if CA will make either an Empire 2--thus, Seven Years War possibility--or a Pike and Shot game anytime soon.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Shogun 2 isn't 'the same visual quality' necessarily either, and with the exception of fots is a completely inappropriate game to do that with. It's also so unapproachable (iirc) to map mod that there's a reason there's only, what, a korea map? Even if it has the potential, you won't be finding random people to do that work for ya between the game generally going under the radar and muted interest in how you're trying to go about things (later entries + overhaul to another setting... generally, nah).

Shogun 2 has both pointy stick against cav and guns... plus check https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...ance-Total-War ..if they can redo Shogun 2 into Tolkien world, brand new map, units, factions, then it can be done even with Seven Years War...

I got point that Shogun 2 is not "new" game, however at least majority of stuff is there. ToB, Rome2/Attila....Wh(s), 3K it would be harder and harder especially as map is locked for those...

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Ah, I underestimated how far Shogun 2 went. So if there's any modern TW game with the technology, it's that one.

Still, between effort and vastly reduced audience, I'd say the chance of the OP getting what he wants without doing it himself is fairly astronomical. If one had unlimited access to the series (as I sort of do for having most of them), that's one thing... alas, for many it would be an extra purchase, and for modders it's not necessarily a great use of their time pared with modern entries that lend themselves to more audience or Medieval 2 that lends itself to more, in general. And more easily.

Except Shogun 2 was for free to try and keep not so long ago... So to put it simply, it surpassed even 3K in numbers for a while. So that means there is a lot new owners/players and there might be even influx of modders and demand for mods...So starting a new modding project for Shogun 2 might be actually viable right now...

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If you think the temporary, if predictable spike as a result of the game being free for a bit (without a content update, correct me if I'm wrong) will result in a modding resurgence and a significant influx of truly active players, I'll be happy to be proven wrong. I would consider the long game, the bigger picture of the series and sheer relevance to be more critical factors in determining if one should launch a project as requested in this thread on that particular platform. As much as Shogun 2 would be tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Shogun 2 has both pointy stick against cav and guns... plus check https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...ance-Total-War ..if they can redo Shogun 2 into Tolkien world, brand new map, units, factions, then it can be done even with Seven Years War...

I got point that Shogun 2 is not "new" game, however at least majority of stuff is there. ToB, Rome2/Attila....Wh(s), 3K it would be harder and harder especially as map is locked for those...
    Yet, there are currently 2,100 mods for Three Kingdoms. So there must be some thing that can be done! Could one not use the map and redraw the clan boundaries to stand for nations? China is as big as Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator Majora View Post
    If you think the temporary, if predictable spike as a result of the game being free for a bit (without a content update, correct me if I'm wrong) will result in a modding resurgence and a significant influx of truly active players, I'll be happy to be proven wrong. I would consider the long game, the bigger picture of the series and sheer relevance to be more critical factors in determining if one should launch a project as requested in this thread on that particular platform. As much as Shogun 2 would be tempting.
    Someone already has modded a Portuguese faction on the map in Shogun 2 made as a Thirty Years War period faction. To develop that into an all TYW map and nations would be very possible, I think. I cannot do it because I am not a modder and learning to mod would take me longer than years I have left to live.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lannes1 View Post
    Yet, there are currently 2,100 mods for Three Kingdoms. So there must be some thing that can be done! Could one not use the map and redraw the clan boundaries to stand for nations? China is as big as Europe.
    There's always a question what is a "mod". If one changes some pictures of the heroes, this counts as a mod for those 2100.
    But I don't think there're such mods like DeI for R2TW, or a number of mods for M2TW and RTW. But I may be wrong.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

SYW, Pike and shot mods is all possible in Fots or S2TW. It's actually the only Warscape engine that you can mod entierly. Graphical, the game still looks stunning. I know that, because i am a S2TW (especially Fots modder). I am working on my own project that will reflect the Victorian Age with a world map as end goal. Just to let you know. You can check some few images here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?600630-How-to-split-a-region&p=15915314&viewfull=1#post15915314

Somebody was working on a Pike and Shot mod called "With Fire and Steel" but it never came out. I could see Pike and Shot working with Shogun 2 better than anything else. It's got functional firearms, while still being melee based. I love 1648, but the musketeers just don't work well.

And I wouldn't care and I don't think most would care if you renamed and reskinned everything, but still used one of the vanilla maps, or the Korea map. Have the West island be "Britain" and have everything else be Europe and you'll be fine. The Three Kingdoms mods just put Cao Cao and the others into Japan and it worked out.