Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rome I Remastered.

Default Re: Next TW game (kind of) leaked: Rome I Remastered.

Since TW is no longer Steam exclusive by virtue of Troy being Epic exclusive, please consider voting for this to be released DRM-free on GOG: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/t...ome_remastered
    If CA's patching is anything to go by, it might be best to have a version that can reverse on patches if needed.
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    I find it incredibly unlikely that there won't be some amount of porting required for RTW mods even if the basic modding structure is mostly the same. The addition of optional features, new configuration settings, and the upgrades to things like the models will mean that it almost certainly won't be plug and play.

Interestingly enough, from what I've heard, Feral Interactive approached CA about doing the remaster, rather than the other way around. Probably because they thought it was doable since they already had experience with the port. Something to think about in terms of what might get remastered down the line.
    Exactly. Just the steam workshop usage and being 64 bits means some changes were made....So I would be really surprised if mods are working without any porting..On other hand, i bet 99% of code is the same and it is just recompiled to be stable with newer systems..

And exactly I got the very same idea at first that down the line we could easily see others older classical TWs - Shogun, Med 1+2. If this is any kind of success.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

What I mean is more of the concern of whether the scripting language will be familiar and whether the modification of the map would be familiar.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

YAAAAWN!....mmm...aaargh!!....stretch!
    I just had the strangest dream...

Rome total war was all shiney and new and they had fixed things like diplomacy,{lol}
    and squalor...and it was on 64 bit and the music wasnt compressed anymore ...
    and the units had different faces...
    and they all came up to me and said ..GET YOUR LAZY FAT MODDING ASS BACK IN ACTION SOLDIER!!

wait ...noooo...it cant be real ...it was a dream...WFT!!
    Last edited by GRANTO; March 26, 2021 at 05:12 AM.

I don't find the thought of a main campaign of vanilla Rome 1 even with moderate improvements very appealing to be honest. I would have to wait for mods. But vanilla Barbarian Invasion that's bearable I could live with that.

Rome 2, Imperator, Field of Glory 2 and EB2 I'm pretty much sorted for Roman classical era games. Besides Rome 1 runs well on Win10 for me.

Remastered Med2 and I'm aboard the hype train 100%

Nikron's Avatar Senator

What a disgusting attempt of diverting the attention of historical fans from the fact that they’re not doing anything for us, whereas fantasy fans are already getting WH3. Damn, I’m so jealous.

The worst is people’s praises and hype which will make CA’s job even easier, so instead of doing a Medieval 3 equivalent they’ll just throw us another remastered version.

I can’t believe they’ll even ask money for such titles and include them in their achievements list of 2021. First Troy now this.

You really think anyone will play that more than a couple of days? And you really think modders will bother to figure out how to port Rome:TW gems like Europa Barbarorum or Roma Surrectum? Modders aint gonna spend months so people play them for a few days with clone armies due to their nostalgia.

It’s 2021 and we’d rather have a Rome 3 ported in the new engines used by Troy or WH3 with 0 love from CA rather than the clone armies again. People really forget that vanilla Rome was worse than vanilla Rome 2.

Nicely done again, CA. I hope the TW copyrights bought by another company which will give it love and make us historical fans happy again. We had to wait since 2004 for a 2013 broken release and now this 2004 title again?
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; March 29, 2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Disruptive part removed

To be a mild pessimist, I think a Medieval 3 would simply fail because a lot of what people have been asking for years is literally 'make the old stuff but better'. At least in this way the heart and soul (probably) remain alongside improvements, giving long left behind fans something to chew on while CA's focus is on money makers that are certainly far more lucrative than a platform like TWC can attract now. Creatively, it's about par for the course - and I dare say when looking at the differences between Rome and Med 2, always has been.

Maybe it's sad that the one divergence from a formulaic path is going back to an even older one, but it scratches plenty of itches regardless. Given a third party with extended experience working on these games is the one working on this and given I've heard they were even the ones to foot the idea in the first place, CA's overall creativity and direction shouldn't even matter much beyond them being willing to give Feral the shot as I imagine it is nearly all them. It makes the above dreamy, whimsical salt look rather juvenile and stand for everything that has increasingly lead TWC to decline over the years.

Edit, better clarify: I don't mean fail in the sense of financial flop, rather fail to meet up to the dreams and expectations of its predecessor and short of being accompanied by a design/engine change, will simply be another title to stand around the class of Rome 2 or Three Kingdoms. Though if even a single thing goes wrong their pressure is about equivalent to Rome 2 launch. I don't see them trying that one out in the near future anyways. Probably gunpowder first.
    Last edited by Twilight Esker; March 26, 2021 at 07:06 AM.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Has someone tested Rome I Remastered yet? I am interested in this game since I tried to play Rome 1 on Steam but is lagging a bit in my computer, even after using the d3d8.dll and trying other solutions. Will the requirements be higher or lower than Rome 2? I have been looking for a game between Rome 1 and Rome 2 as some of us do not have a powerful computer, this could be a great game.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

Not out yet, but some youtubers got opportunity to play alpha or something.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SztX...gendofTotalWar
    Man that music alone just makes me happy. The campaign map looks a bit meh but RTW always had this pastel style art I think so. We will see once it is out.
    EDIT: It appears, that units are no more clones, it is closer to medieval 2, where units have some variety among men.
    Last edited by Majkl; March 26, 2021 at 10:01 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Majkl View Post
    EDIT: It appears, that units are no more clones, it is closer to medieval 2, where units have some variety among men.
    I've seen head variations but not bodies. If bodies/attachments (shields) can be varied there's scope for some fun with units. A big change would be settlement models, if they've updated them, that would be cool but what I've seen so far they haven't.

Overall, it looks different but not as nice as EB, RSII or RTR. I guess it's usefullness as a mod base will come down to whether the gameplay improvments make it worth the time it takes to make a mod....
    I might give it a play through though, love me some Carthage nostalgia...

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    What I mean is more of the concern of whether the scripting language will be familiar and whether the modification of the map would be familiar.
    Why it should be vastly different? I mean Feral is now quite good at updating the game but there is vast difference between rebuilding game from scratch on different engine and just recompiling stuff and making overhaul. Their goal is probably just facelift. Not revolution. We have already vast range of remasters (C&C, AoE 1+2, Warcraft 3....) so we can easily see that people prefer slight update instead of total remake. So back to your concern, I bet the game will ge recompiled for 64 bits system, made more stable but hardly it will be based upon Wh2 engine as is Troy for example as they could easily sell that as new game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikron View Post
    What a disgusting attempt of diverting the attention of historical fans from the fact that they’re not doing anything for us, whereas fantasy fans are already getting WH3. Damn, I’m so jealous.

The worst is people’s praises and hype which will make CA’s job even easier, so instead of doing a Medieval 3 equivalent they’ll just throw us another remastered version.

I can’t believe they’ll even ask money for such titles and include them in their achievements list of 2021. First Troy now this.

You really think anyone will play that more than a couple of days? And you really think modders will bother to figure out how to port Rome:TW gems like Europa Barbarorum or Roma Surrectum? Modders aint gonna spend months so people play them for a few days with clone armies due to their nostalgia.

It’s 2021 and we’d rather have a Rome 3 ported in the new engines used by Troy or WH3 with 0 love from CA rather than the clone armies again. People really forget that vanilla Rome was worse than vanilla Rome 2.

Nicely done again, CA. I hope the TW copyrights bought by another company which will give it love and make us historical fans happy again. We had to wait since 2004 for a 2013 broken release and now this 2004 title again?
    Geez. I could swore I read so many comments that all we need is just facelifted Rome or more likely Med 2 instead of new dumb down Med 3 as CA surely after 3K/Wh would do another dumb down version....ToB was shouted down as not big enough, Troy/3K as too fantasy. Honestly sometimes I´m baffled what people here want...

If anything this could be just update to bring those classic titles into new decade..and I try to look into future. If this is success then surely Feral will tackle others older classic titles and after that? What if they will be greenlighted for new old content? Expansion for Med 2 for example. What if CA will allow them to expand Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2 for example? This will allow CA to focus on newer stuff while Feral will be doing service to all older gamers...
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; March 29, 2021 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Last quote edited for continuity
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

If the next historical title that they're hiring for is Medieval 3 or some kind of Pike and Shot, I really hope that someone remasters Empire in the near future. That game has so much potential from a systems perspective, but too much of it is too broken on a technological level. Unfortunately, it'll probably be a much harder task. They don't seem to have been able to help the AI much here, and one of Empire's biggest problems is the AI.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

To me, this remaster is a hard pass - also because of the fact that I am the minority that was not that a big fan of Rome TW.

Decent, good game, but I remember my frustration in playing it for the first 6 months due to broken things. It was so so frustrating to see the game economy broken and the cities not showing the correct data for income. Took 4 patches to get it to a good level. 1.2 / 1.3 / 1.5 / 1.6 BI. 4 patches.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Esker View Post
    Probably gunpowder first.
    A lot of times I don't really understand the enduring appeal of these two old games compared with the newer ones. Except for mods.

I'm playing a Med 2 campaign right now and it's just a steamroll with a few cool things, but my campaign is pretty much paint the map and random diplomatic interactions. I think Attila and 3K have much better and more interesting campaigns (as opposed to WH, ToB and Troy that is ). We can argue about the battles, and the battles are preeminent, but if the old ones were so great why am I not rushing back to play them?

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    A lot of times I don't really understand the enduring appeal of these two old games compared with the newer ones. Except for mods.

I'm playing a Med 2 campaign right now and it's just a steamroll with a few cool things, but my campaign is pretty much paint the map and random diplomatic interactions. I think Attila and 3K have much better and more interesting campaigns (as opposed to WH, ToB and Troy that is ). We can argue about the battles, and the battles are preeminent, but if the old ones were so great why am I not rushing back to play them?
    Where you don't rush back, I consider a mainstay and only rarely venture outside of it. But we consider different things, hold different examples and find meaning in different aspects. "Except for mods" is a tremendous reason I believe making up almost all of the enduring old gen popularity. Without it I don't expect Rome 1 or Med 2 would be much more active than the original Medieval. What remains may simply appreciate that design over the style that came later, deeply integrated in look and feel.

Most of my entertainment does come from recognizing that Total War is basically incompetent at challenging me in singleplayer, and so I find joy in my own challenges and limits that don't include pumping stats. It works out for me, hardly for everyone. In that sense I'll probably give R1R at least a full try, and from there modding will decide its long term fate.

Personally I'm swayed by various opinions so far. There's less and less reason for me to believe it will truly 'elevate' modding unless it strictly caters to that (backporting specific things that made med 2 modding unique and surpassing both games, instead of coming with some not others). It would be deliberate and to me, a mildly surprising decision. So ultimately it could just make the modding scene for this gen of game more confusing (3 games, 1 engine, little unity) if not result in R1R fading quietly should it behave obtusely.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Except for mods.
    And here they opened the gates to the 7 hells of porting once more, time will tell if it is Dante's version or my niece's. M2TW matched my niece's version neatly, I have doubts that will be the case here. It's not just me that noted the deafening silence around moddability, is it?

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

*Pokes head out of grave*
    Based on stream footages, this looks like a refined M2TW engine with a new RTW skin- the pre-battle speech structure sounded vaguely like what you would get if you port the RTW Roman speeches in there, hopefully I am mistaken and it's instead a complete rebuild. RTW animations already exist in the M2TW packs, but they were not useable by default as M2TW models have different skeletons.

If this is indeed the M2TW with all the associated functionalities intact (formations such as shield walls, schiltrom, special morale effects, chariots co-existing with mounted siege engines, moddable AOE effects, etc.) in the base game, it would make a great base for battle modifications alone without the need to swap executibles in the past.
    Last edited by Medusa0; March 27, 2021 at 02:46 AM.

I wonder if the hard coded stuff like the maximum number of factions has been altered in the remasterd version, so modders can have their fun with it

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

This is going to be a great nostalgia to play, looking forward to the awakening of new mods for RTW.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Geez. I could swore I read so many comments that all we need is just facelifted Rome or more likely Med 2 instead of new dumb down Med 3 as CA surely after 3K/Wh would do another dumb down version....ToB was shouted down as not big enough, Troy/3K as too fantasy. Honestly sometimes I´m baffled what people here want...

If anything this could be just update to bring those classic titles into new decade..and I try to look into future. If this is success then surely Feral will tackle others older classic titles and after that? What if they will be greenlighted for new old content? Expansion for Med 2 for example. What if CA will allow them to expand Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2 for example? This will allow CA to focus on newer stuff while Feral will be doing service to all older gamers...
    To each their own.

I find it hard to believe that people truly prefer nostalgia over upgraded graphics, animations, unit variety and detail, blood and gore, sound, new mechanics no matter how boring.

When I see a hoplite/pike unit I wanna spot 200-256 various helmets and crests, various linothorax, shield patterns, different details on soldiers like scabbards, pouches, whatever. When they clash I wanna see proper terror and blood, some soldiers/cowards deserting individually rather than in full cohesion.

When it comes to Romans (the closest to a clone army), I wanna see that red colour dominating through the shields and tunics, that metal look from the helments, chainmail, and occasional lorica segmentata, and the discipline of a true Roman legion with 0-low deserting “trait”.

Then last but not least, I wanna enjoy the charge of an even more varied barbarian unit, various clothes and colours, some topless, a variety of tattoos, different styled wooden shields, some with helmets and some with different hairstyles and beards, different muscle tones, rich and poor fighting side by side.

Attila went in the right direction (even though I prefer antiquity) but it received 0 love and support afterwards.

IMO war should be dark and bloody not cartoonish like Troy, 3k, and obviously R1R, while still enjoying the Witcher 3-like nature, green pastures and forests, and deep blue Mediterranean sea with colourful yet dark hoplites slaughtering each other.

I can’t enjoy playing with toys anymore. I don’t know how someone would choose R1R over Rome 2 DEI or Attilla’s Ancient Empires.