Thread: Darthmod installation help?

Default Darthmod installation help?

Im trying to play empire with the darthmod mod on. I got no other mods installed, i install darthmod 8.0 platinum and the following patch following all the steps in the instructions, I can launch empire in vanilla but i can't launch the game with the mod.

Basically i press start, the mod says not to close the launcher, empire launches, i can see the darthmod initial picture, then it shuts down with no error screen and brings me back to desktop

Vanilla works perfectly, before i install the mod and when i change to vanilla in the mod.I remember when i had Windows 7 i had no issues whatsoever but now i have windows 10. I've tried to launch it with windows 7 compatibility but no luck

I've been trying to install, unistall, veryfy game file, redownload the files again thinking they might've been corrupted somehow, looked on other discussions, watched yt videos, but with no success.

If someone could help me that'd be great. Thanks!

PS: Its the first time i post on this forum so if i have to move the thread or anything please let me know.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Darthmod installation help?

Welcome to TWC, Horsey92!

Quote Originally Posted by Horsey92 View Post
    Im trying to play empire with the darthmod mod on. I got no other mods installed, i install darthmod 8.0 platinum and the following patch following all the steps in the instructions, I can launch empire in vanilla but i can't launch the game with the mod.

Basically i press start, the mod says not to close the launcher, empire launches, i can see the darthmod initial picture, then it shuts down with no error screen and brings me back to desktop
    I can confirm that DME does work on Windows 7 as I once played DME on Windows 7, but I cannot help you with Windows 10 since I don't use it.

However, there is actually one thing you can try and that's to run the DME launcher as an administrator. Have you tried that? If not then give it a try, who knows it might work. Good luck.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Hi, i've tried that already. Also tried deleting the files in %appdata%/creative assembly/empire ... etc and install the mod again but no luck there either

Where is Steam installed, in what path e.g C:\Program Files(x86) is tied to UAC in Windows (not sure if it's the same in Windows 10 as it is in Windows 7)?

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

It's tied to it...

Either move the game's library to another drive or re-install Steam to a custom directory to avoid any related issues. Mine is in C:\Steam because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It's tied to it...

Either move the game's library to another drive or re-install Steam to a custom directory to avoid any related issues. Mine is in C:\Steam because of it.
    I see. I wasn't sure.

I on the other hand have Steam installed on a non-bootable partition e.g E:\Steam. Which has never caused me an issue and should I had an issue then I can easily fix it myself as it isn't related to UAC.

Blog Entries

As long as Steam isn't installed in the default path you won't have any virtual store issues. They only pertain to the Program file folders.

so let me understand better, if my game and the darthmod are installed on another partition (not C) the game won't work?

Blog Entries

Incorrect, we were discussing how to avoid having issues with the virtual store.

I am going to give it a shot installing and running it. I am on Steam\Win10 using Leo's upload.

Well, that was a dud - it was asking me for 'disk #2' to continue with the installation and there obviously wasn't a second 'disk', only one installer of 1.86GB. Looks like I still need part 2 from modDB.

Edit: That did the trick, finished installing and added the patch, then started the launcher and just changed the turns per year. No problem with starting after I deleted the script as recommended.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 20, 2019 at 08:06 AM.

Wow, im not sure what i'm doing wrong then, could you give me a link of the instructions you followed? i must've missed something at this point

Blog Entries

I had a blank installation path so made sure I pointed it to the ...\steamapps\common\Empire Total War path.
    Installed the main installation from the two part downloads (both extracted files need to be in one directory)
    Then installed the 8.01 patch
    To find the script I got myself the 'run' window (type run into the windows search bar to call it up) and copied this command to find the folder:
    %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    Then delete the script in there.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Place the two (unzipped\extracted) parts in the same folder (any folder). These are the files named:
    DarthMod_Empire_v8.0_Platinum.exe
    DarthMod_Empire_v8.0_Platinum.2

Step III
    Run the EXE and follow the instructions of the installer.

There is also a 8.0.1 Patch (link has instructions)!
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/darthmod-e...patch-released

[Optional]
    Before installation you can also delete the file preferences.empire_script.txt
    in %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts.
    This file can be responsible for CTD or freezes for various reasons and so then it needs clean up. (The game produces a new one after delete).

[Warning]
    If the installer suggests a blank install path this may be caused by 2 reasons: Either because you do not run it in Windows 7 so there is some kind of Registry Incompatibility or you have a cracked game (not supported)... In the first case, manually browse the installer path where your Empire: Total War game is installed, usually in a folder called "Empire Total War" for example:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war
    If you cannot find it, make a windows search for the file Empire.exe. You must install in the folder where Empire.exe is located.

[Note]
    Make sure you have cleaned up any other 3rd party mods from your game folder before you install DarthMod Empire. Test that it works ok and then if you insist in using these other mods, add them with the "edit user script" utility of the launcher.

I've never had to install the "DarthMod_Empire_v8.0_Platinum.2" package from ModDB, but I guess that it has something to do with Windows 10 since I use Windows 7 without asking me for the disc 2 during the installation of DME.

Blog Entries

The problem here was that the download from your link was only part 1 (no part 2 there). After I downloaded part 2 from modDB and restarted the installation everything went smooth without any asking for part 2.

The executable files are from your download page, the part2 file from modDB

I know but that's not what I meant. What I mean is that I have never been forced to install the 2nd archive due for asking for the 2nd disc, so what I always do is to install the setup exe (1.86 Gb) then install the patch without having a single issue aside from deleting the scripts folder.

Anyway, I've downloaded the 2nd archive from ModDB and plan to upload it to TAL soon along with the other two DME mod files. I'll also add some information about Windows 10.

Blog Entries

It will never ask for the second (part 2) file if it is present in the same directory, the 1.86GB installer on it's own will be an incomplete installation. There is also a 'one part only' installer around, but that one is about 2.8GB in size.

The other three links to the one part installer in this page are invalid.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 21, 2019 at 04:21 AM.

It will never ask for the second (part 2) file if it is present in the same directory, the 1.86GB installer on it's own will be an incomplete installation.
    I see. Well, it won't be an incomplete installation on Windows 7, but somehow it will be incomplete on Windows 10. I wonder why.

There is also a 'one part only' installer around, but that one is about 2.8GB in size.
    The Ausgamers link doesn't work and I think I downloaded DME there 4-6 years ago, but I've no idea why the link doesn't work now.

The other three links to the one part installer in this page are invalid.
    The link to ModsAholic is dead and I know I downloaded DME there a few times before, but I dunno when I did that last time.

Guys thank you all for your help, i've tried again and idk if my files were wrong or if i kept missing a step but its finally working now.

Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help!

Blog Entries