Thread: What are the best Total War mods of all time?

Icon7 What are the best Total War mods of all time?

Particularly from Rome up to Shogun 2, since my PC can't play further than that. I've played Roma Surrectum before but got a bit bored plus that was around the same time I went into TW hiatus. Now I came back to playing (being addicted to) this game again.
    I've heard people say Stainless Steel and intending to try it soon anyway since I'm on a Med 2 roll, however would like some more opnions on other mods as well. Not interested in fantasy mods so Third Age is out of order

Default Re: What are the best Total War mods of all time?

Imma drop my vote for Rage of the Dark gods.. the Warhammer mod... its so superb... barely even crashes.. I've fought battles with 5-6 armies on the field.. and the story line is SOLID... very will done mod..

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

^ Completely missed the second half of the OP. Lets try that again.

Stainless Steel + SSHIP, Europea Barborum 2 (I know I spelled that badly), Broken Crescent, Deus Lo Vult, Eras Total Conquest, Rise of Three Kingdoms and 1648 - Thirty Years of War all rank high for me in historical merits, gameplay and stability. Other mods exist, but while I might have missed a few, most from here lack scale, stability, finished gameplay or historical validity (ie, gaping holes compared to the efforts listed or too focused on just enhancing/remaking the vanilla experience).

Extending a bit beyond medieval 2,
    Rome has EB, that's about the only one I'm aware of that's competitive, despite it basically being the prequel to what you get from EB2. Empire+ you have Darth Mod and I believe Raidous as solid overhaul options, but once you get in that generation it becomes more of a pick and choose deal. I'm not especially familiar with Empire/Napoleon/S2 modding, so I couldn't say what specifically is really good. Rome 2 has Divide et Imperia, a competitively good overhaul to get the best out of a warscape rome experience despite it being out of scope for your system. While a bit of a superficial game, you could consider looking at Thrones of Britannia on sale as it is a relatively friendly game in comparison to others that have come since S2 performance wise. I suppose the lack of depth would be a part of it, but it's a viable entry regardless. I still wouldn't suggest it at full price.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; October 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    ^ Completely missed the second half of the OP. Lets try that again.

Stainless Steel + SSHIP, Europea Barborum 2 (I know I spelled that badly), Broken Crescent, Deus Lo Vult, Eras Total Conquest, Rise of Three Kingdoms and 1648 - Thirty Years of War all rank high for me in historical merits, gameplay and stability. Other mods exist, but while I might have missed a few, most from here lack scale, stability, finished gameplay or historical validity (ie, gaping holes compared to the efforts listed or too focused on just enhancing/remaking the vanilla experience).

Rise of the three kingdoms Crashed for me anytime I got near Lou Yang... haven't played it since.. did you experience that and fix it? or no?

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colino Deani View Post
    Rise of the three kingdoms Crashed for me anytime I got near Lou Yang... haven't played it since.. did you experience that and fix it? or no?
    No, but it's not my cup of tea for a mod either, so I wouldn't know beyond the very basics. I don't suppose you've used Gig's installer anytime recently?

So many to choose from and I still haven't tried them all

Those that I have really enjoyed:

Chivalry, Europa Barbarorum, Rome Total Realism and Extend Greek Mod for Rome 1

Mod 2 Retrofit, For King and Country, Call of Warhammer, The Long Road and Stainless Steel.

Empire Empire Total Realism and Terra Incognito.

Infact the best mods I have enjoyed the most are the small mods that change the games beyond their size Retrofit for Med 2 and the one that changes the gun sounds in Empire (I can't remember its name sorry) are worth their weight in Gold.