Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Except Primus Prefect is a seperate position, because it has strict requirements for those applying for the position. The Primus Prefect election should be a seperate poll to the Prefect elections.
    Indeed, as it stands someone may be eligible for a Prefect role but not Primus Prefect.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

So, the Primus Prefect has the same selection process as the Tribunes have. Correct?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    So, the Primus Prefect has the same selection process as the Tribunes have. Correct?
    No.
    Tribunes are selected purely by Hex, nobody else gets a say (maybe senior Moderators and ex-Hex/ex-Tribunes do, idk).
    Primus Prefect is elected by the Curia for 1 year. All applicants must meet the criteria (good moderation history, have been a moderator for minimum of 3 months and/or have been a Magistrate/Tribune for two full terms with reasonable activity/experience, and/or served a reasonable time as Tribune). I also believe they are verified by Hex, so even if the Curia votes for them, Hex can veto it.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; February 26, 2019 at 06:01 AM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Except Primus Prefect is a seperate position, because it has strict requirements for those applying for the position. The Primus Prefect election should be a seperate poll to the Prefect elections.
    Just to add to this that there are also restrictions on the Prefect office that the Primus Prefect office doesn't have.

The Prefects cannot be current Moderators or Tribunes, whereas the Primus Prefect can. So there have to be seperate elections for Prefects vs Primus.

also yes I do know this is my own post I'm quoting...

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Good call about the separate requirements for the Primus Praefect; I forgot about that.

The application and debate threads are now open for both the Primus Praefect and the other two Praefect positions.
    Last edited by StealthFox; February 26, 2019 at 10:43 AM.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es

I'm working on the badges for the new roles and I'm wondering if we're going with the Latin names, should it not be Primus Praefectus and Praefectus? Praefect is neither here nor there from what I gather.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

I like the fomer; gives it some pannache.

Any chance we can get back into the habit of referring to members who are not citizens as peregrinii or peregrinus? "Non-citizens" sounds like "no-person" to me for some reason.

The Praefect polls are up! As far as I know there is nothing preventing a person from running in multiple elections. If elected, to both positions, that person would then need to decide what position to keep turning down one for the other.

Given the situation and similarities of positions, I see no ethical issue either.

Is the Consul "name" now in bold? If so, that is a logical and sensible improvement.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    The Praefect polls are up! As far as I know there is nothing preventing a person from running in multiple elections. If elected, to both positions, that person would then need to decide what position to keep turning down one for the other.
    Seems sensible!

I am curious; how many resignations will it take to realize that 1 year and 6 months is a really long time to commit to a position. It is one thing to end up doing it, it is completely different anticipating that you will. Think about it. If you become the Primus Praefect next week. You will be in that same position next year at this time.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I agree. 1 years is ridiculously long.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Did I miss something? What resignations? I don't see where anyone withdrew from the Primus Praefect election.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I believe Pikestance is stating that several Primus Praefects will resign some time into their rule, as he believes close to nobody, or nobody can hold the office for a full year
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Did I miss something? What resignations? I don't see where anyone withdrew from the Primus Praefect election.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    I believe Pikestance is stating that several Primus Praefects will resign some time into their rule, as he believes close to nobody, or nobody can hold the office for a full year
    Yes; we have had several people either resign or become inactive with 3/4 months terms. I don't believe there has ever been a year where I was not inactive for at least a month.

We'll see I supposed.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Why you, guys, don't you wait and see how things go? Then if it appears to be a real problem, that term duration can be adjusted accordingly by just a quick and very simple amendement.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Perhaps I listened to a foolish man.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Or you're just preemptively doomsaying an idea you don't like. See how it plays out, then propose a remedy later if it proves to be necessary. It's not as if we're in a hurry with anything in the Curia.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I'm a convinced supporter of the idea that new things need to be tried and later amended, rather than discussed indefinitely; in a way or another it's impossible to fully forecast the outcomes of a change, human history is full of such examples

under this logic I supported and voted yes for Hader's proposal and under the same logic I'd say that trying to see how it goes with the long service term required to the PP is perfectly fine, we might be surprised in the end

@ Pike, lol nice pic, it looks like my face after a night out partying
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader