Default The host of the Vale

Armies
    Main host
    9500 LI
    4750 HI
    4750 AS
    2625 LC
    2625 HC
    Lady Jeyne Arryn, Aemma Rivers, Ander Royce of Gates of the Moon, Harrold Templeton
    Personal retinue: 100 HI, 100 HC Arryn, 50 HI 50 HC Corbray

Total: 24050 troops

Home defense
    1000 LI
    500 HI
    500 AS
    Ser Joffrey Arryn, knight of the Bloody Gate
    Personal retinue: 25 HI, 25 HC

Total: 2050 troops

Commanders
    Jeyne Arryn, +3 Charisma, +2 assassination, +1 survival
    Aemma Rivers, +2 charisma, +2 survival, +1 personal combat, +1 battles
    Joffrey Arryn, +3 battles, +2 survival, +2 personal combat, +1 to rout rolls against this character
    Ander Royce, +2 duels, +2 charisma, +1 battles
    Harrold Templeton, +4 duel, +3 survival, -1 battles
    Benedict Corbray, +1 Battle, +1 Personal Combat, +1 Survival
    Last edited by Adamat; January 20, 2019 at 12:16 PM.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: The host of the Vale

Royce of the Gates of the Moon
    Commander
    Ser Willam Royce
    age 16
    Sociable +1 charisma -2% income
    +3 duels (+2 skills +1 Lamentation)
    +2 charisma
    +1 battles

Men
    100 Light Infantry
    50 Archers
    50 Men at Arms
    25 Light Cavalry
    25 Heavy Cavalry

ooc not sure if already included in your numbers or not
    Last edited by Trot; January 20, 2019 at 12:58 PM.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

The Host of Ninestars

Ser Harrold Templeton, +4 duel, +3 survival, -1 battles

400 Light Infantry
    200 Archers
    200 Men-at-Arms
    100 Light Cavalry
    100 Knights

OoC: Exactly same situation as Trot, they should be with you but I dunno if you counted them.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Lord Benedict Corbray

+1 Battle, +1 Personal Combat, +1 Survival

Retinue of House Corbray: 100 men
    50 Knights (Heavy Cavalry)
    50 Men-at-Arms (Heavy Infantry)

(I know my men have been calculated into the composition)
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"Here we are, sound the horns, prepare for the landing!"

The many seals approached the nearest beach, flanked by large white cliffs, their tops covered in pine trees. The banners fluttered in the wings, depicting sea horses, dragons and all the varied coat of arms from the Vale, ranging from bells to heart-carrying ravens. The large barges transporting horses were sent forward, while boats carried men to the shore. It was a complicated operation, overseen from the flagship, a three-decked ship, Queen Rhaenys, commanded by none other but Corlys himself. Lady Arryn had been offered passage in the said ship and Corlys himself captained the small boat that carried the Maid of the Vale to Crackclaw. It took many hours and the sun was well past noon when everyone was on land, the fleet chained nearby. Tents were raised, including large silken pavillions, trenches and letrines were dug and a small palisade put in place by diligent workers.

When the sun was setting a deafening roar broke the skies in half. And it wasn't alone, shrieking and roaring set the whole camp in alarm, many leathern wings covering the land in shadow. Lucerys' young beast answered the shrieks and raised to the sky, mounted by the young prince. Soon it was apparent who had arrived: a large and overfed yellow dragon, slow and ferocious, a bloody beast of fearsome repute, the scarlet mount of Rhaenys, a pale silvery shadow and two young and nimble lizards. When the yellow dragon landed before the largest tent, quartered arms were raised: Targaryen sharing room with Velaryon and Arryn. The Queen had taken possession of her pavillion and army. She had arrived, acompanied by Rhaenys, Daemon, Joffrey, Jacaerys and the newest addition to the files of dragonriders, Addam of Hull, who had carried his younger brother, Alyn, on the saddle. The dragons themselves cleared a large track of terrain, burning the very forest to make some sort of lair. Caraxes and its rider soon left, heading East, to a destination only known to the queen herself. But, when she sat for supper, she was surrounded by none but five fellow dragonriders, as Lucerys had joined her mother as soon as she landed. Six dragons slept and feasted with cattle while the Blacks were being summoned to their queen's presence, to dully pay homage to their liege, wine and venison carried to feed the attending lords and ladies. At the dais sat the Queen, acompanied by her eldest sons, Lord and Lady Velaryon and their newfound grandson. A seat was reserved for Lady Arryn, next to the Queen's throne.
    Last edited by Oznerol; January 21, 2019 at 07:04 AM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

The Lords of the Vale assembled, one after another standing solemnly before their queen in slowly growing ranks while, in the background, the fighting men soldiered on, erecting great pavilions and campfires. High Lords were flanked by their bannermen, a multitude of coloured banners proudly fluttering in the gentle wind. Knights in armour, Lords in fine livery, banner-bearers with their warhorns and long lances. They seemed at ease, chatting along merrily with their compatriots, until they were hushed one by one from the back ranks to the front. Slowly, a corridor opened up, ushered on by knights on mighty warhorses clad in blue. Through the gap in the line of noble Valemen rode the Maiden of the Vale on a slender horse, white as snow. As she passed her brothers in arms, they took a knee, their eyes averted to the ground. As she approached the dais she halted her steed, and dismounted with the help of a rather imposing knight with a greatsword slung across his back, who quickly retreated into the ranks of the Lords. Finally, the Lady Jeyne lifted her dress some, before slowly taking a knee in the green grass of the Crownlands.

"Queen Rhaenyra of the Iron Throne," a woman's voice carried the words over the field. "House Arryn lends the strength of the Vale to the will of Her Grace. We will not falter. We are prepared to fight, shed blood, and die for your righteous cause. The Seven surely stand with us, and we fear not the Stranger, for we know the Mother protects us." She paused for a moment, before ending her short speech. "As High As Honor," she stated calmly before rising, and mounting the steps to the dais. A knight carrying a banner nearly as large as the Queen's own followed on, and as the Lady Paramount of the Vale took her seat, he took up a position behind her, proudly displaying the falcon on blue. "My Queen, my cousin," she spoke to the Targaryen sat beside her. "I submit the power of the Vale to you. Their might is equalled only by your dragons. A mighty display of force, I must say."

Later that day, the Knight of Ninestars seeks out Lady Arryn. He claims to have something important to tell her.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    The Lords of the Vale assembled, one after another standing solemnly before their queen in slowly growing ranks while, in the background, the fighting men soldiered on, erecting great pavilions and campfires. High Lords were flanked by their bannermen, a multitude of coloured banners proudly fluttering in the gentle wind. Knights in armour, Lords in fine livery, banner-bearers with their warhorns and long lances. They seemed at ease, chatting along merrily with their compatriots, until they were hushed one by one from the back ranks to the front. Slowly, a corridor opened up, ushered on by knights on mighty warhorses clad in blue. Through the gap in the line of noble Valemen rode the Maiden of the Vale on a slender horse, white as snow. As she passed her brothers in arms, they took a knee, their eyes averted to the ground. As she approached the dais she halted her steed, and dismounted with the help of a rather imposing knight with a greatsword slung across his back, who quickly retreated into the ranks of the Lords. Finally, the Lady Jeyne lifted her dress some, before slowly taking a knee in the green grass of the Crownlands.

"Queen Rhaenyra of the Iron Throne," a woman's voice carried the words over the field. "House Arryn lends the strength of the Vale to the will of Her Grace. We will not falter. We are prepared to fight, shed blood, and die for your righteous cause. The Seven surely stand with us, and we fear not the Stranger, for we know the Mother protects us." She paused for a moment, before ending her short speech. "As High As Honor," she stated calmly before rising, and mounting the steps to the dais. A knight carrying a banner nearly as large as the Queen's own followed on, and as the Lady Paramount of the Vale took her seat, he took up a position behind her, proudly displaying the falcon on blue. "My Queen, my cousin," she spoke to the Targaryen sat beside her. "I submit the power of the Vale to you. Their might is equalled only by your dragons. A mighty display of force, I must say."
    Rhaenyra was wearing a chestplate, while her legs were covered by scales, the arms covered in good plate, inlaid with golden filigree. Her head was bared, for the warhelm was held by a squire and the sword by another, both belonging to proud families. She wears a simple, unadorned band of gold around her temples.

"We rejoice in your arrival, my mighty cousin"

Said the queen.

"The Seven light our way, undoubtedly"

The queen's hand, clad in an ornate gauntlet, gestured towards the dragons, who could be glanced nearby.

"The migth of our host is undeniable, and soon, we shall have more men ready to serve us"

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Later that day, the Knight of Ninestars seeks out Lady Arryn. He claims to have something important to tell her.
    The Knight of Ninestars was admitted to the Arryn pavilion quickly. It had been decorated such that it looked more like a Lord's hall than a war council, with artwork and coloured candles and an expensive table, but Jeyne had never been one for warfare. She had others, like the guest that had just walked in, to busy them with such mundane and barbaric things on her behalf. "Ser Templeton, please take a seat," she said, looking up from a thick book with depictions of dragons in it. "What is this matter of such great import that it cannot wait for the morrow? I intend to hold a war council, and expect my commanders to be up early."

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    Rhaenyra was wearing a chestplate, while her legs were covered by scales, the arms covered in good plate, inlaid with golden filigree. Her head was bared, for the warhelm was held by a squire and the sword by another, both belonging to proud families. She wears a simple, unadorned band of gold around her temples.

"We rejoice in your arrival, my mighty cousin"

Said the queen.

"The Seven light our way, undoubtedly"

The queen's hand, clad in an ornate gauntlet, gestured towards the dragons, who could be glanced nearby.

"The migth of our host is undeniable, and soon, we shall have more men ready to serve us"
    The Maiden of the Vale smiled. "That is good to hear. Pray tell me, who will be joining us, then?" She hadn't heard of any great lords declaring for Rhaenyra, but then again she'd refrained from sending out letters to the realm herself. One does not taunt a dragon without taking precautions, even if the dragon is a pretender.

The Maiden of the Vale smiled. "That is good to hear. Pray tell me, who will be joining us, then?" She hadn't heard of any great lords declaring for Rhaenyra, but then again she'd refrained from sending out letters to the realm herself. One does not taunt a dragon without taking precautions, even if the dragon is a pretender.
    "Surely, Lady Darklyn, she has always been close to us"

Said Rhaenyra.

"She commands much strenght. I've also sent men to the Riverlands; my husband is pretty convincing"

She gestured to the world outside the pabillion.

"The clawmen better yield or burn. And Lady Tyrell's support could be at hand, but ravens and quills aren't as fast as one could desire"

The Knight of Ninestars was admitted to the Arryn pavilion quickly. It had been decorated such that it looked more like a Lord's hall than a war council, with artwork and coloured candles and an expensive table, but Jeyne had never been one for warfare. She had others, like the guest that had just walked in, to busy them with such mundane and barbaric things on her behalf. "Ser Templeton, please take a seat," she said, looking up from a thick book with depictions of dragons in it. "What is this matter of such great import that it cannot wait for the morrow? I intend to hold a war council, and expect my commanders to be up early."
    Templeton, who is now being called Harry the Hotspur by his men, is surprised to find that Lady Arryn's tent looked better than the main hall of his own castle.

"Wanted to talk to you before, actually, my lady." He takes a sit

"Tell your cousin back at the Eyre to be careful. Royce is gathering support to reinstate Arnold's child as your heir. He approached me and I told him to sod off, but I am not so sure the other Lords did the same."

"Surely, Lady Darklyn, she has always been close to us"

Said Rhaenyra.

"She commands much strenght. I've also sent men to the Riverlands; my husband is pretty convincing"

She gestured to the world outside the pabillion.

"The clawmen better yield or burn. And Lady Tyrell's support could be at hand, but ravens and quills aren't as fast as one could desire"
    "It is a sad state of affairs indeed, if greed is all that governs a Kingdom," Jeyne mused. "But, I suppose that is the way the world works. Everyone wants something. Swaying Tyrell to our cause might well end the war without more bloodshed, however. With winter approaching, your cousin Aegon can scarcely afford to stand up to the considerable numbers of Reachmen, not to mention the Reach's reputation as a great breadbasket. Still, we should march hard and fast, and make it clear that there can be no resistance to your cause." she held up her cup, and waited for a servant to fill it. "I wish I knew more of war, but alas, I find that I have little talent for it. Have you decided yet when we move? If you so desire, I will have my commanders, leal Lords all, convene to draft a plan."

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Templeton, who is now being called Harry the Hotspur by his men, is surprised to find that Lady Arryn's tent looked better than the main hall of his own castle.

"Wanted to talk to you before, actually, my lady." He takes a sit

"Tell your cousin back at the Eyre to be careful. Royce is gathering support to reinstate Arnold's child as your heir. He approached me and I told him to sod off, but I am not so sure the other Lords did the same."
    The Maiden got up and paced around some, her expression betraying some irritation on her part. "That would explain why the banners of Hunter and Royce never joined us," she said. "I wonder if Steward Ander was right, he proposed that my dear cousin might have sought refuge with his cousins at Runestone. I will send a raven to Ser Joffrey at the Bloody Gate to keep his wits about him, but for now we cannot afford to deal with this situation. I believe the cause to which we have committed ourselves will not allow us to divide our strength, now that things have been set in motion." She paused. "I thank you for this information, Ser. If ever it appeared to you that I doubted your ability or loyalty, rest assured that they were never cause for suspicion on my part. As ever, your consel is invaluable, and I will reward you in time. But for now, I ask of you to steel your men for the battles ahead."

The Maiden got up and paced around some, her expression betraying some irritation on her part. "That would explain why the banners of Hunter and Royce never joined us," she said. "I wonder if Steward Ander was right, he proposed that my dear cousin might have sought refuge with his cousins at Runestone. I will send a raven to Ser Joffrey at the Bloody Gate to keep his wits about him, but for now we cannot afford to deal with this situation. I believe the cause to which we have committed ourselves will not allow us to divide our strength, now that things have been set in motion." She paused. "I thank you for this information, Ser. If ever it appeared to you that I doubted your ability or loyalty, rest assured that they were never cause for suspicion on my part. As ever, your consel is invaluable, and I will reward you in time. But for now, I ask of you to steel your men for the battles ahead."
    "Aye, milady, my men will be ready, do not worry about that."

Harry Hotspur rises and prepares to leave, but turns before reaching the door.

"I have a request, though. If Royce ever becomes a real problem, I want to be the one to deal with him."

Jeyne couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at the request. Templeton was a renowned hothead, but in her experience he tended to cool down rather quickly if not provoked any further. She wondered what Royce had done to antagonise the Knight of Ninestars so. "I pray it doesn't come that far, Ser, but you have my word," she answered. "And congratulations on your recent marriage, Ser. I will ask the Mother that you return to a son that can match your temperament when this campaign is over, and we return to our lands victorious."

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Rhaenys Targaryen was present, standing atop the dais alongside her husband. She was still wearing her armor, burnished steel and gleaming copper all, over her riding leathers, arms folded and eyes watchful as the Lady Arryn came forth and Queen Rhaenyra went on down to greet her. While they exchanged words about the strength of the army and their next moves, she leaned in to ask Corlys in a whisper, "So, dear...you never told me I had some more grandsons. Bastard grandsons, at that."

"It is a sad state of affairs indeed, if greed is all that governs a Kingdom," Jeyne mused. "But, I suppose that is the way the world works. Everyone wants something. Swaying Tyrell to our cause might well end the war without more bloodshed, however. With winter approaching, your cousin Aegon can scarcely afford to stand up to the considerable numbers of Reachmen, not to mention the Reach's reputation as a great breadbasket. Still, we should march hard and fast, and make it clear that there can be no resistance to your cause." she held up her cup, and waited for a servant to fill it. "I wish I knew more of war, but alas, I find that I have little talent for it. Have you decided yet when we move? If you so desire, I will have my commanders, leal Lords all, convene to draft a plan."

"Wanton greed led the Hand and my half-brother to usurp my throne"

Said Rhaenyra. She always spoke of her bethren as half-siblings, never acknowledging a full-kindred.

"If the Reach does stand with us... Oldtown would be meaningless and the usurper would stand alone against more men and more dragons"

She smiled. Food and drinks were brought, Viserys filled Rhaenyra's cup, while Aegon the Younger acted as Lady Jeyne's cupbearer.

"We will move in the earnest, towards Duskendale. Send men you trust to convince the clawmen"

Added the queen.

"But all your lords and bannermen are welcomed to voice their opinion. Moreso, this is a boon I grant you, cousin, one of your choice shall serve in my Queensguard"

At the moment only Marbrand and Cargyll stood behind the throne, in white plate and white cloaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    Rhaenys Targaryen was present, standing atop the dais alongside her husband. She was still wearing her armor, burnished steel and gleaming copper all, over her riding leathers, arms folded and eyes watchful as the Lady Arryn came forth and Queen Rhaenyra went on down to greet her. While they exchanged words about the strength of the army and their next moves, she leaned in to ask Corlys in a whisper, "So, dear...you never told me I had some more grandsons. Bastard grandsons, at that."
    Corlys almost choked on the venison pie served moments before.

*cough*

"Eh"

He sips wine twice.

"I thought you wouldn't approve. Least so Rhaenyra. They're good boys, I assure you, and you see? Addam is riding Seasmoke!"

Corlys avoids his wife's gaze. Addam was nearby, in one of the minor tabbles, but closer to the dais than any common bastard. He makes eye contact with Lord Velaryon and raises his cup, Corlys does the same, saluting his grandson. Liliac eyes, silvery hair, aquiline nose and some funny ears, prominent, something he tried to conceal with his silvery mane.

Corlys almost choked on the venison pie served moments before.

*cough*

"Eh"

He sips wine twice.

"I thought you wouldn't approve. Least so Rhaenyra. They're good boys, I assure you, and you see? Addam is riding Seasmoke!"

Corlys avoids his wife's gaze. Addam was nearby, in one of the minor tabbles, but closer to the dais than any common bastard. He makes eye contact with Lord Velaryon and raises his cup, Corlys does the same, saluting his grandson. Liliac eyes, silvery hair, aquiline nose and some funny ears, prominent, something he tried to conceal with his silvery mane.
    "Careful Corlys, there's no need to rush through the venison. And come now - I could never turn away my own blood, even if they are not trueborn." Rhaenys' decision to omit calling the newly-turned-up bastards her grandsons a second time was not unintentional. "How old is he? The one riding Laenor's dragon now, Seasmoke. He looks to be about Jace's age to me...Laenor must have invested a lot of effort in hiding them and their mother, if they remained hidden this long after the first prince's birth." That Laenor really was the boys' father and hid them out of fear for the wrath of Rhaenyra, then carrying their own first son in her womb, was certainly the story she wanted to believe over the possible alternative. Her own dark purple eyes followed Corlys' to the elder of the pair as they exchanged a salute.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Careful Corlys, there's no need to rush through the venison. And come now - I could never turn away my own blood, even if they are not trueborn." Rhaenys' decision to omit calling the newly-turned-up bastards her grandsons a second time was not unintentional. "How old is he? The one riding Laenor's dragon now, Seasmoke. He looks to be about Jace's age to me...Laenor must have invested a lot of effort in hiding them and their mother, if they remained hidden this long after the first prince's birth." That Laenor really was the boys' father and hid them out of fear for the wrath of Rhaenyra, then carrying their own first son in her womb, was certainly the story she wanted to believe over the possible alternative. Her own dark purple eyes followed Corlys' to the elder of the pair as they exchanged a salute.

"He is sixteen. Older than Jace. He was born several months prior"

Granted Corlys.

"Laenor did nothing else, to be fair. I believe he was drunk, partying at Hull; he could very well have spent his whole income that night, at least I had to pay off half a dozen moneylenders. Joffrey Lonmouth and him had quarrelled, and bitterly so. I believe he bedded her out of spite and jealousy, a lowborn maiden that could not and would not deny her Lord's son a night together. Laenor was fair, nimble and of royal blood, it would have seemed like a fairy tale to a barely fifteen years old girl... far from the truth, I think our son returned Marilda to her father's home as soon he could, with a small pouch of silver"

He talked in whispers, while he smiled and sipped to the gathered audience, who didn't know the conversation that was transpiring.

"Nine months later, this girl arrived to my door. And the boy looked at me with those eyes, and the ears... it reminded me of when Laenor was a babe, I simply could not shut my door and my purse to her"

Now, he was nervous again.

"However, Gods know that what happened later was a moment of weakness, a sin of the flesh. Marilda, teary, felt abandoned, alone, despised by Laenor, who had laughed at her and kicked both her and her son of High Tide a week before"

He sips, twice.

"Joffrey died soon afterwards and Laenor, well, basically forgot about Marilda... and the child. You know how he was, he simply didn't care"

Corlys was basically pouring his soul in words, bitterly so.

"But... I did. I took care of them both and..."

He sighed.

"Alyn is mine own son. And the shame of my own sin made me hide them both"

Lord Velaryon stiffened his back, awaiting his wife's likely outburst. He looked seriously remorseful, for some would say to lay with your son's woman was incest, at the very least. The boys were at the same time brothers and uncle and nephew.

Rhaenys listened with a stony expression as her husband told his tale, her arms crossed over her chest. So, her sneaking suspicions were half-right in the end, and one of the bastards was not Laenor's but rather Corlys'. The admission awakened some of the Baratheon anger in her bones, and though she tried hard to keep a straight face so as to not breach decorum, her cheeks took on a red hue and her nostrils flared. By the end she could not keep herself from scowling, and restraining herself from exploding was proving a greater challenge here than it was in Highgarden when Lady Tyrell repeated the rumors about her grandsons. I mustn't cause a scene, she thought frantically as she clenched her knuckles under the table and tried to swallow down as much of her mounting fury as she could despite its bitter taste, Nor must I slap him. Besides causing a scene, given his age and condition, I'd probably end up killing him. How fortunate for Corlys that he divulged his secret in a setting where she could not allow herself to erupt. A strategist even now.

So instead of raging like a dragon, Rhaenys unclenched her balled-up fists, closed her eyes and breathed out. "I must admit, Corlys, I am as disappointed as I am angry." She finally uttered through gritted teeth, her eyes focusing solely on him. "Disappointed that my husband slept around behind my back, with one of our son's throw-away lovers no less. And even more disappointed that he was not willing to admit to it until...how long as has it been? Fourteen or fifteen years later, I'm guessing, if this Marilda came to you so soon after the first of the pair was born." Somehow, the knowledge that Corlys had cheated on her cut less deeply, angered her less than the knowledge that he pulled wool over her eyes in this matter for over a decade.

Men were men with men's needs, to be sure, but after such a long marriage and the joy of raising two children into adulthood, Rhaenys had allowed herself to think her man was different. That if he was ever the sort of fellow who'd sleep around, he at least put those habits behind him after wedding her and fathering children with her. "And here I thought we were beyond keeping secrets from one another, at least after Laena was born and we came to truly know and appreciate one another as husband and wife." She continued, her words still shaking with restrained fury. She didn't even know whether she'd have forgiven him, if he had confessed his unfaithfulness to her right away, but she felt the grudge she bore then may have been less severe than the one that was beginning to grow with this confession after over a decade of deceit and silence.

"Are there any others?" The old princess asked, simply, finally, in a low whisper. You had best be completely honest now, her glare and frown commanded silently. No more secrets, truly. She was well beyond tears too, indeed so much time had already passed and so many things had changed that she felt - nay, knew, with all the finality and maturity of someone in the elder years of their life, that there was little she could do about the bastards themselves now, in a war where they needed every possible dragonrider on hand as she had told Rhaenyra back on Dragonstone. But if she was going to even think about moving forward, she needed to know she could trust Corlys as her husband once again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast