Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Alii Colores Romae: Totus - pack of different uniform colours now covering the Rise of the Republic scenario!!

Default Re: Alternative Colours For Rome 2

plus i dont how to show my images BIG instead of thumbnails
    and THANK YOU!

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Hazeyshot View Post
    plus i dont how to show my images BIG instead of thumbnails
    and THANK YOU!
    I saw you followed my advice, except that you chose the other pic for submission. I seriously feel that other shot had a good chance of winning that round (and you're only allowed to compete with one pic in each thread).

To show the pics full size, go to a site like imgur, click on the "Computer" button to start locating the pic you want to upload, mark the pic, and then click "Open", whereupon a new screen appears where you click "Start upload". When the upload is finished, copy the second link from below among those displayed, and paste that link into the post you want to submit. If you preview that post first you'll see how the image will appear in the post before submitting it. I suggest you put the image (link) between spoilers in most cases other than for that competition.

Good luck!
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Sorry Demo ,I did follow what you said. but I feel the retreat photo shows alot of expression of one solider shouting and a gathering mass of gauls trying to kill all but thanks for your info! im still a noobie at all this and it is my first entrance into the competition :'), i sure hope to win but there is alot of good ingame photographers out there.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    But the Seleucids are another problem. My sources say they should also be primary red, plus probably white and yellow, in uniform colour! Sigh. How on Earth am I to solve this dilemma to satisfactory result? Leaning towards sacrificing some historical accuracy for the sake of greater variety and interest in the factions of this game...
    The seleucid are kind of sad at the moment. With the improvement of the CAI and diplomacy that came with patcch 5 I'm having a very nice and interesting Arche Seleucia campaign ; but on a visual level, it's not exciting at all.

Now, red white and yellow can bring nice combinations and I really like what you did with epirote and egyptian elite pikemen. I understand they both wear red but given their close historical origins I don't think it is really a problem.

This new strategy from the 22 october looks like the best way to go :-)
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Quote Originally Posted by Yerevan View Post
    The seleucid are kind of sad at the moment. With the improvement of the CAI and diplomacy that came with patcch 5 I'm having a very nice and interesting Arche Seleucia campaign ; but on a visual level, it's not exciting at all.

Now, red white and yellow can bring nice combinations and I really like what you did with epirote and egyptian elite pikemen. I understand they both wear red but given their close historical origins I don't think it is really a problem.

This new strategy from the 22 october looks like the best way to go :-)
    You don't want me to publish a Light Edition? Well, the "Regular Edition" where all playable factions are taken care of in the manner described in my update notes of 22 October requires so much work and my time for modding is diminishing so you won't see that RE version published this year. LE has a chance of being released in a couple of weeks or next month. The latter will not provide satisfactory solutions on all accounts, but at least remedy the vanilla colours.

The Seleucids are among those I'm not quite happy with with the current one-theme-per-faction solution for them. Seen my preview in the OP for them? Still want a red, white, and yellow solution as more in line with history, despite so many other factions looking similar (which reduces the incentive to play the others, once you've played one of them)? I already have the yellow tertiary ready for them, and if you prefer that, I can bring it back as standard for LE and then supply the RGB values for the other theme as an option to those who want more variety from the start.

Either way, like I said, I want some of this stuff off my back, so I'm going for LE first, allowing you guys a fast food version of ACR2, however lacking in nutrition, and then I'll keep working on the real RE meal in a more relaxed pace, so that I can serve that dish according to plan some months down the road.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

I understand that you're hurrying to get the light edition released, but one thing I wanted to request (if it's not too much to ask). I'm loving the look of your Parthian units, but I just don't think that the dulled yellows and greys would look elite enough on the Asracid Cataphracts. Thought I'd give you a source to have a look at. I'd love it if you'd consider adding this colour to the light edition.

The only colours that change in the game is the linings of the Cataphract's armour, and in each source I can find it seems that Cataphracts had royal red lining.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

You don't want me to publish a Light Edition? Well, the "Regular Edition" where all playable factions are taken care of in the manner described in my update notes of 22 October requires so much work and my time for modding is diminishing so you won't see that RE version published this year. LE has a chance of being released in a couple of weeks or next month. The latter will not provide satisfactory solutions on all accounts, but at least remedy the vanilla colours.

The Seleucids are among those I'm not quite happy with with the current one-theme-per-faction solution for them. Seen my preview in the OP for them? Still want a red, white, and yellow solution as more in line with history, despite so many other factions looking similar (which reduces the incentive to play the others, once you've played one of them)? I already have the yellow tertiary ready for them, and if you prefer that, I can bring it back as standard for LE and then supply the RGB values for the other theme as an option to those who want more variety from the start.

Either way, like I said, I want some of this stuff off my back, so I'm going for LE first, allowing you guys a fast food version of ACR2, however lacking in nutrition, and then I'll keep working on the real RE meal in a more relaxed pace, so that I can serve that dish according to plan some months down the road.
    Oh no ! I didn't mean that, I'm perfectly happy with the light edition ! Especially since I'm quite impatient to use your mod and if you edit this edition you'll have much more feedbacks to help you.

I like the colours in the Seleucid's preview, no problem.

I already have the yellow tertiary ready for them, and if you prefer that, I can bring it back as standard for LE and then supply the RGB values for the other theme as an option to those who want more variety from the start.
    I remember you did that with ACC. I used some of the RGB valiues you displayed at the time.

Well, this " one-theme-per-faction solution" it doesn't seem adapted to RTW2's timeframe. Especially with such a cosmopolitan faction as Seleucid which army was made from troops of so many different cultures !
    In fact, the only faction which seems to go well with this concept is the Roman empire, as it seems, that out of the auxilliary troops their army was quite standardized.
    This is just my opinion : we already have the banners to remind us exactly what army each unit is fighting for so I don't think each faction's soldiers should wear the same exact colors just like in a football team.

But maybe, I didn't understand your question. My english can be confusing.

Anyway, good luck for LE :-)
    Last edited by Yerevan; October 30, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Quote Originally Posted by BohemianRomantic View Post
    I understand that you're hurrying to get the light edition released, but one thing I wanted to request (if it's not too much to ask). I'm loving the look of your Parthian units, but I just don't think that the dulled yellows and greys would look elite enough on the Asracid Cataphracts. Thought I'd give you a source to have a look at. I'd love it if you'd consider adding this colour to the light edition.

The only colours that change in the game is the linings of the Cataphract's armour, and in each source I can find it seems that Cataphracts had royal red lining.
    The one-theme-per-faction solution necessary for a quick Light Edition release won't do justice to any faction's appearance, I'm afraid. It's simply impossible. For any chance of full satisfaction here, you guys will have to wait for the Regular Edition next year.

So far, I have only made the Persian Light Archers departing a bit from the main Parhian theme, but I'll have a look on those cataphracts to see if they're editable at all. At least one of the general's units appears completely off limits. Already got that illustration and several others on Parthian cataphracts, and I agree, some sort of red seems to be the deal for them.

I'm seeing the current main theme for the Parthians as reflecting their sunny and dusty environment, which makes for pale colours. Looks perfectly right in dry deserts under the scorching sun, but perhaps a little out of place in the dark forests of Europe.

Oh no ! I didn't mean that, I'm perfectly happy with the light edition ! Especially since I'm quite impatient to use your mod and if you edit this edition you'll have much more feedbacks to help you.

I like the colours in the Seleucid's preview, no problem.
    Good. Will try some other idea, too, though, before settling the matter for this faction in LE. But, rest assured, a lot more work will come the Seleucids' way for RE. Already have many ideas for them. When I'm done with this side, only those Syrian Heavy Archers may still look exactly the same as in current preview.

I remember you did that with ACC. I used some of the RGB valiues you displayed at the time.

Well, this " one-theme-per-faction solution" it doesn't seem adapted to RTW2's timeframe. Especially with such a cosmopolitan faction as Seleucid which army was made from troops of so many different cultures !
    In fact, the only faction which seems to go well with this concept is the Roman empire, as it seems, that out of the auxilliary troops their army was quite standardized.
    This is just my opinion : we already have the banners to remind us exactly what army each unit is fighting for so I don't think each faction's soldiers should wear the same exact colors just like in a football team.

But maybe, I didn't understand your question. My english can be confusing.

Anyway, good luck for LE :-)
    I agree fully with your opinion that the one-theme-per-faction idea won't do for a realistic portrayal of any faction, not even Rome. But that's the prize we have to pay for a LE option available soon. Those who demand more can wait for RE before they start playing the game with ACR2 seriously. Or stick to the three factions in LE that will have a varied appearance more in line with history. And not start wars on factions with one-theme-per-faction solutions, so that you don't get to see poor variety. And surrender immediately if such factions declare war on you. Or...

Iceni are soon ready for display in OP.

Meanwhile, here's another treat for you guys: Suebi Sword Masters in approach...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You don't like to mess with them, either...
    Last edited by Demokritos; October 31, 2013 at 06:29 AM.

Kymmuriel's Avatar Civis

Hello demekritos, wow nice just to see u keep going at it, i really like how you put all that dedication behind your work, really looking forward your skinpack

Quote Originally Posted by Kymmuriel View Post
    Hello demekritos, wow nice just to see u keep going at it, i really like how you put all that dedication behind your work, really looking forward your skinpack
    I like to do (public) things properly, if I am to do them at all.

All three first posts updated.

@BohemianRomantic - You may want to check the Parthian section in post #3...

I've got pretty good news: "only" the Romans remain for the LE. But they're the biggest challenge.
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 03, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Loving the look of the Asracid Cataphracts, they really stand out next to the Eastern Spearmen. I'm eagerly waiting for the Light Edition to release before I start a new Parthian Campaign.

Another secondary faction which desperately needs to be recoloured is the Cherusci (Germanic tribe) - They're a mix of sunshine yellow (primary colour) and Santa red. Somehow that just doesn't seem to suit the bloodthirsty germans hiding in the deep woods waiting for unsuspecting armies to pass by.

By the way, a good way to know how each faction is coloured without having to go through all of them in custom battles is to look at their symbols. Creative Assembly made every faction's primary, secondary, and tertiary colours match their faction symbol. So, for example, Media Atropatente's symbol is bright orange, white and lime green.

Baktria is another one; bright blue, red, and yellow.

Glad you liked the preview of the Parthian Royal Cataphracts. Don't look too closely on the shade for the pants, though. It was either that or the ribbons becoming very dark. Also remember that you won't see much colour from the front. There's even less to see for the regular (Eastern) cataphracts with that faded out shading and all.

Thanks for the tips regarding minor factions. Will take care of them for the second edition (RE) of ACR2. You'll have to wait for some time in 2014 for that version. So you've got time to gather tips for a bunch of minor factions that need to be addressed.

On an other note, the Romans are turning out just as difficult to do something decent with as I anticipated. The colours are not only distributed differently on the units (with the secondary sometimes in use, sometimes not, etc), but also applied with different shading, most units getting an effect that destroys the purity of the colour in either brightness or shadow. So one colour basically comes out in three different versions, depending on which unit it is. Auxiliary troops like Balearic Slingers seem to get the colour in the purest form, but legionaires get it either faded out or darkened a great deal. The differences are such that no one colour can make all units look good. So, for this faction to appear good, one has to go through the whole roster and make individual adjustments for each type of unit. Which means more work than for any other faction. I'll see if I can skimp some of it for the LE.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

You can use the faction symbols to check a faction's colours but in my modding I've come across 5-ish that differ. It is only in the secondary/tertiary and only one or the other bt I normally use custom battles however long they take. If you arent patient enough then load up the custom battles with you, 3 allies and an enemy on a flat land with you on a slight hill. Your allies start staggered after you but using more than one enemy gives their units overlapping starts. This way you can check schemes of 5 factions easily without having to fight the actual battle. I've also discovered that in battle the colours look slightly different to whatever you set them as and seeing the actual units helps you figure out better how to colour them.

I've also noticed the auxiliary problem and that is a lot of units to individually recolour.
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

With the Parthian Cataphracts the lining of their horses armour changes colour to match the factional primary, secondary, and tertiary colours. You can see the colour differences in the screenshot you put up, and in vanilla the lining is either bright purple, yellow, or teal. Is that not something that is possible to edit on the individual until? Could help you make more of an impact with the red, you don't seem completely satisfied with the cataphracts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    You can use the faction symbols to check a faction's colours but in my modding I've come across 5-ish that differ. It is only in the secondary/tertiary and only one or the other bt I normally use custom battles however long they take. If you arent patient enough then load up the custom battles with you, 3 allies and an enemy on a flat land with you on a slight hill. Your allies start staggered after you but using more than one enemy gives their units overlapping starts. This way you can check schemes of 5 factions easily without having to fight the actual battle. I've also discovered that in battle the colours look slightly different to whatever you set them as and seeing the actual units helps you figure out better how to colour them.

I've also noticed the auxiliary problem and that is a lot of units to individually recolour.
    I used custom battles to check the colours for all minor factions in Shogun 2. Took 8 such battles to go through them all that way. Fair enough. But in Rome 2, it would take - I don't know - 23?? Imagine the time spent for this project! I'd rather have suggestions from fellow gamers coming in...

I always check the results of my colour tweaks in custom battle. Can never rely on the appearance of a given colour on a colour combo tester site or image manipulation program, as the game alters the hue too much, due to various cloth textures etc.

The Romans differ most from the colours set to them, due to that severe shading that destroys the purity of the colour. It means certain (pure) hues can't be shown on the Romans or rather many of their units, which happen to be the most important types like principes and all legionaries. Not sure I'll be able to produce something decent for them any longer.

And definitely not sure I'll have LE finished this month, as I thought earlier.

With the Parthian Cataphracts the lining of their horses armour changes colour to match the factional primary, secondary, and tertiary colours. You can see the colour differences in the screenshot you put up, and in vanilla the lining is either bright purple, yellow, or teal. Is that not something that is possible to edit on the individual until? Could help you make more of an impact with the red, you don't seem completely satisfied with the cataphracts so far.
    Thanks for pointing this out to me. Never checked the cataphracts in vanilla, so the modding effect on the horses escaped me (due to the shading which dulled the colours so much here that I didn't recognize them when not looking for them). I can see now that the colours for the horse armour are set from the main factional theme, not the those for the soldiers of the unit in question. And my current main theme for the Parthians are yellow-greyish white, grey and yellow. So, in order to remedy that problem, I would have to change the main factional theme for the Parthians to better suit the horse armour. For the regular cataphracts in particular, this could have a dramatic effect. Technically, it's an easy thing to accomplish. But in order to get the officers, standard bearers, and soldiers of all other Parthian units back to my current theme for them, I'd have to create new entries for them all (3 per unit) in the "special units" file. Which is a lot of extra work. The option is to settle for a new main Parthian theme as dictated by the requirements for the horse armour. Or forget about that horse armour.

I'll have to think about that one, at least regarding the LE.

PS. A new Parthian theme based on what's needed for the horse armour will probably not work generally, as the shading applied on the horse armour would require overly bright hues all too apparent on other units. So the solution here is likely either that much extra work in "special units" or leave that horse armour be.

Edit: First tests with a new main Parthian theme for better-looking horse armour indicate it might be worth the trouble going along on that extra work route...
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 07, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

PS. A new Parthian theme based on what's needed for the horse armour will probably not work generally, as the shading applied on the horse armour would require overly bright hues all too apparent on other units. So the solution here is likely either that much extra work in "special units" or leave that horse armour be.

Edit: First tests with a new main Parthian theme for better-looking horse armour indicate it might be worth the trouble going along on that extra work route...
    Whatever you think is best, you seem to have good taste. One possible suggestion for the cataphracts is to use a deep purple for the lining of the royal units (Royal Cataphracts and Royal Horse Archers), and the red for the Eastern Cataphract units. To create some variance and help the general stand out.

Whatever you think is best, you seem to have good taste. One possible suggestion for the cataphracts is to use a deep purple for the lining of the royal units (Royal Cataphracts and Royal Horse Archers), and the red for the Eastern Cataphract units. To create some variance and help the general stand out.
    I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, BR. Like I said before, the colours of the details for all horse armour in the army are set from the one factional theme, and you don't get to decide which unit get what colours of those three (primary, secondary, and tertiary) hues. If you put purple as one those three colours, all units with editable horse armour will have some horses with purple armour details. So you must pick three colours that are suitable for all such units.

See here. Based on the following source showing two Parthian cataphracts...

...I can make the armour details on the horses for the regular cataphracts in game look pretty similar (on my first attempt)...

...but these colours will also show on the horses for the Royal Cataphracts (and, as you can see in the background, on the uniforms and shields of all units in the army, unless corresponding entries have been created in the "special units file", which overrules the factional theme file).

The Parthian horse armour thing is too much work for LE. I'll save it for RE - the proper version of ACR2. For the former edition, I'll throw in two more recoloured units for the Parthians instead, plus the officer of the Royal Cataphracts.

Recoloured Romans Progress Report:

Thought I could show you guys what I've done so far for this faction, easily the most difficult modding subject. I've managed to make the main factional theme come out like this for their war dogs unit...

These hues could pass for Roman colours, right? The cloth textures for this unit are not heavily shaded, so the colours stay more pure and true to the original, which makes it easier to predict the outcome in game and find something satisfactory within reasonable time. Unfortunately, these colours don't look the same on the legionairies etc, not so "Roman" anymore, so I'll have to find a separate solution for the latter.

The Republican army looked quite different from those of later periods - more varied, less uniform. White seems to have been the most common colour for clothing. So I'm working on the idea to have this colour as the common denominator for the Republican units. For the Hastati, based on the additional source displayed in the OP, it may come out like this...

I'm only showing you these guys from the back, because I haven't nailed the secondary colour for shields yet. It should be reddish brown, according to the course in the OP, but the heavy shading applied on the shields means a colour that can't be described as reddish brown must be found for those shields.

What do you guys think of the red hue on the Vigiles below - could it pass for "Roman"?

The Vigiles were some sort of fire brigade, among other things, in Rome. I've seen a couple of illustrations of them, one with red clothing and black shield, and the other with just black armour or uniform. Hence the above appearance in ACR2 so far. Not sure about that red tone, though.
    Last edited by Demokritos; November 08, 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Hi Demokritos,
    I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed your mod for Shogun a lot. And you probably know I've used it. Colours are quite important to me and if not for your mod, I would have to make them for Shogun myself. Your mod saved me a lot of work, since all your choices were perfect and once I've installed it, a thought of changing anything in that regard never crossed my mind again.
    So, I'm glad you're working on Rome2. I hope you'll be able to mod as many factions as possible

I have one comment on Vigiles.
    I like the color, but I wonder if it's possible to restrict cape color to only one? My reasoning is that since cape was certainly issued by the state, they were all dyed the same most likely. (Is it at all possible to control what color is applied and to what uniform part without retexturing? I know there are some changes in that department since Shogun2, but I don't know how far it goes).

Under the Patronage of: Ishan