Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

here is the final episode of Makedonian Restoration. we've restored Antigonos' power and influence in both Makedonia and Hellas and so it is mission accomplished.

in the video description, there is a link to the save for this game in case anyone wishes to take Antigonos and achieve even greater conquest and glory.

also, try and read your history. several titles on Makedonian history (including military history) are also linked in the description.

Nice job! Sad to know that you have finished it. If you want to continue, I suggest you should go to war with the Epirotes, claim Ilyria and the Ptolemai cities in Anatolia

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Nice job! Sad to know that you have finished it. If you want to continue, I suggest you should go to war with the Epirotes, claim Ilyria and the Ptolemai cities in Anatolia
    No, I think he's taken the right approach leaving them be in their heartland (even if taking Athenai triggered a new war). Focus east and Anatolia, take revenge against the Galatians.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, I think he's taken the right approach leaving them be in their heartland (even if taking Athenai triggered a new war). Focus east and Anatolia, take revenge against the Galatians.
    Makes sense, you know better than me in that area

lots of possibilities as to what to do next after the point where the playthrough stopped. i actually went ahead and played for 3 more hours off record and thoroughly enjoyed it. war-peace diplomacy switch worked very nicely and i managed to seal peace with Epirotes after several turns of targeting their fleets. then KH agreed to peace, too (same reason, i reckon). they also quite cleverly removed that small army from Epirus (it fled there after being hit by me near Athens in the last episode) by sending the fleet over and dropped that force, reinforced by the general, in Crete. Pergamon declared war on me at some point after i captured Byzantium (the only settlement that i expanded to in this 3 hours of the usual turtle-play). i defeated Pergamese army and attacked fleets and ports and they came asking for peace, which i was very happy to agree to. overall, diplomacy plus naval operations look very good indeed. i left off being at peace with everyone but Ptoleis and having rebuilt and expanded mines and Royal Tombs.

my only regret is that i didnt start to use the exe in mods/ebii sooner. really struggled with stability recording the first 4-5 episodes. now it looks really stable though. turn times literally take seconds (thanks for optimisations, QS!), though having an SSD definitely helps.

oh, also love the small invasions script. didnt know it existed. most of the time i would drive that force across the border without destroying it. but it really enriches the playthrough imho by providing small goals to diversify campaign experience also giving it historical grounding (i.e. prompts to go north as Phillip did) that is really welcome.

absolutely great stuff overall. a good old EB in all its glory

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    lots of possibilities as to what to do next after the point where the playthrough stopped. i actually went ahead and played for 3 more hours off record and thoroughly enjoyed it. war-peace diplomacy switch worked very nicely and i managed to seal peace with Epirotes after several turns of targeting their fleets. then KH agreed to peace, too (same reason, i reckon). they also quite cleverly removed that small army from Epirus (it fled there after being hit by me near Athens in the last episode) by sending the fleet over and dropped that force, reinforced by the general, in Crete. Pergamon declared war on me at some point after i captured Byzantium (the only settlement that i expanded to in this 3 hours of the usual turtle-play). i defeated Pergamese army and attacked fleets and ports and they came asking for peace, which i was very happy to agree to. overall, diplomacy plus naval operations look very good indeed. i left off being at peace with everyone but Ptoleis and having rebuilt and expanded mines and Royal Tombs.

my only regret is that i didnt start to use the exe in mods/ebii sooner. really struggled with stability recording the first 4-5 episodes. now it looks really stable though. turn times literally take seconds (thanks for optimisations, QS!), though having an SSD definitely helps.

oh, also love the small invasions script. didnt know it existed. most of the time i would drive that force across the border without destroying it. but it really enriches the playthrough imho by providing small goals to diversify campaign experience also giving it historical grounding (i.e. prompts to go north as Phillip did) that is really welcome.

absolutely great stuff overall. a good old EB in all its glory
    What is this small invasion script?
    Frei zu sein, bedarf ist wenig, nur wer frei ist, ist ein König.

Current Hotseat:
    Britannia: The Isles of Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Der Böse Wolf View Post
    What is this small invasion script?
    The human player of Makedonia has raids carried out from a number of sources until they establish themselves and deal with the sources of the raids.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great idea, I will watch whole series Starting with first video right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Great idea, I will watch whole series Starting with first video right now.
    thanks for watching. will most probably do another historical play-through once the patch is out.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

thanks for watching. will most probably do another historical play-through once the patch is out.
    Thanks for reply. In my opinion Baktrian campaign is great candidate for another series with their missions from the Seleukid king.

The Seleukids and Ptolemaioi will have some new widgets to play with in the patch; the wars between them won't be so phoney, and they'll have some restive subjects in Anatolia to deal with as well.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by these "optimisations", and using the exe in mods/ebii? I could use the help, my own turn times are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Sorry, what exactly do you mean by these "optimisations", and using the exe in mods/ebii? I could use the help, my own turn times are ridiculous.
    The script has been optimised since 2.3, with lots of consolidation of monitors and ensuring everything that can terminates. Several hundred monitors have been removed and others made more efficient, with the total number of monitors brought below 1000.

Upshot is that 2.35 it runs between-turn processing faster than 2.3. It's still not "fast" because it's a big, complex script.

The Seleukids and Ptolemaioi will have some new widgets to play with in the patch; the wars between them won't be so phoney, and they'll have some restive subjects in Anatolia to deal with as well.
    There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING phoney about the wars I fought against the Seleucids. In fact, they have proven themselves to be the toughest wars in EB2 so far. Fighting the full might of Rome pales in comparison compared to the Grey Death. There is no need to escalate the conflict.

The Anatolian thing sounds interesting - as long as it does not turn into a never-ending annoyance like the Numidian Raiders script.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING phoney about the wars I fought against the Seleucids. In fact, they have proven themselves to be the toughest wars in EB2 so far. Fighting the full might of Rome pales in comparison compared to the Grey Death. There is no need to escalate the conflict.

The Anatolian thing sounds interesting - as long as it does not turn into a never-ending annoyance like the Numidian Raiders script.
    Most of it is actually about making sure the Ptolemaioi aren't a pushover for the Seleukid player.

The Pisidian Raids stop at a predetermined date, and only apply to two provinces. The Galatian script is being reworked, everyone will get the "shakedown" flavour the Pergamon player currently gets, but more widely than just Mysia.

Haven't played as the Seleukids yet, so I can't comment on that.
    AI Seleukids always seem to crush AI Ptolemaioi, though.
    I mentioned the Numidian Raiders script - is there any chance it will get revised? Having to keep a sizeable force in Africa is nice, but the script gets a bit tedious after the same rebel army spawns for the 100th time.

Nope, you stop the Numidian Raiders script by allying with the Numidian faction.

If you killed them off, thinking it meant you'd be secure, oh well. Now there's no one to restrain the multiplicity of tribes who could decide you look like a nice target.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; February 08, 2019 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Haven't played as the Seleukids yet, so I can't comment on that.
    AI Seleukids always seem to crush AI Ptolemaioi, though.
    I mentioned the Numidian Raiders script - is there any chance it will get revised? Having to keep a sizeable force in Africa is nice, but the script gets a bit tedious after the same rebel army spawns for the 100th time.
    Indeed it is a bit annoying, especially if you have destroyed Numidia. However, it's nice having to keep fighting in Africa, it was a way to keep using my FL in battles. The only thing that I would change would be spawning bigger raider armies from time to time, for example, 10% of the times the number of troops in the stack would double.

Nope, you stop the Numidian Raiders script by allying with the Numidian faction.

If you killed them off, thinking it meant you'd be secure, oh well. Now there's no one to restrain the multiplicity of tribes who could decide you look like a nice target.
    Them constantly spawning after Numidia is gone is the annoying bit - always the same place, always the same troops. It's not at all threatening, it's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Thanks for reply. In my opinion Baktrian campaign is great candidate for another series with their missions from the Seleukid king.
    actually, this is a fantastic idea, thanks. though Baktrian autonomy and independence are decades away from the starting date, the missions can hopefully provide for an engaging historical walk-through. and i havent played Baktria since EBI, so should definitely make for an interesting experience.

Most of it is actually about making sure the Ptolemaioi aren't a pushover for the Seleukid player.

The Pisidian Raids stop at a predetermined date, and only apply to two provinces. The Galatian script is being reworked, everyone will get the "shakedown" flavour the Pergamon player currently gets, but more widely than just Mysia.
    talking of 'shakedowns', is it possible to link rebellions to the type and number of units recruited? could make for recreating historical events in Ptolemaic kingdom: recruit X number of mid-high quality native units and face an indigenous uprising with its on Pharaoh in Memphis and all.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast