View Poll Results: Why don't you participate in the Curia?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do, dude

13 37.14%
  • I'm not a citizen

8 22.86%
  • I don't know what the Curia is

4 11.43%
  • Drama

2 5.71%
  • Disinterest

6 17.14%
  • Something else (please specify on the poll thread)

2 5.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you participate in the Curia?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Why don't you participate in the Curia?

Why don't you participate in the Curia?

• I do, dude.
    • I'm not a citizen
    • I don't know what the Curia is
    • Drama
    • Disinterest
    • Something else (please specify on the poll thread)

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Why don't you participate in the Curia?

Simply bad behaviour and rule surfing in the D&D and too much special treatment in front of tribunal.

Thats the reason, why i post sparsam there.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Something else: it's boring and not worth the time.

Voted "I'm not a Citizen", but I'm mainly not a citizen in an attempt to keep avoiding the "Drama", plus some "Something else" elements...

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

The Curia has its pros and cons. There is alot of potential to improve the board and adapt to new modding circumstances.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I'm not a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    Something else: it's boring and not worth the time.
    You just described option 5, disinterest.

Campidoctor

Why don't you participate in the Curia?
    Why should I? Lol.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    Why should I? Lol.
    Drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Campidoctor

There is more than enough drama in the world already, isn't there? At some point it gets tiring.

Drama ->
    Relax ->

Nah, but in all honesty, @Alwyn and co., this 'citizenship' and all the rights and burdens that brings are a relict from old times. Forums are dying, and it shows in the user count. Users nowaday come and go. No time for dedication. Why should people bother to register themselves in a forum when all comes and goes from central hubs (Discord and the like, yuck)? Why should they even become 'citizens' here, when they can be kings elsewhere?
    The world becomes faster, more interconnected, and more detached every day, despite or especially because of all these Corona lockdown adventures. A little circle of die hard fans will remain, but that is that.
    How to adapt? I guess some formats don't.

After recent events I was really tempted . The whole debate surrounding expected citizen behaviour and the results if they weren't upheld has been fascinating. Some very good points made that made me question my own viewpoint on more than one occasion . However the site runs so very slow for me and I've become so very impatient in my old age .
    The Curia is such a unique place on the webz and it's such a shame that not more people are involved . The quality in debate hasn't diminished just the number of participants .
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Nah, but in all honesty, @Alwyn and co., this 'citizenship' and all the rights and burdens that brings are a relict from old times. Forums are dying, and it shows in the user count. Users nowaday come and go. No time for dedication. Why should people bother to register themselves in a forum when all comes and goes from central hubs (Discord and the like, yuck)? Why should they even become 'citizens' here, when they can be kings elsewhere?
    The world becomes faster, more interconnected, and more detached every day, despite or especially because of all these Corona lockdown adventures. A little circle of die hard fans will remain, but that is that.
    Yet something still keeps you here commenting while you could be a king somewhere else.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I'd rather be a lion in hell than a sheep in heaven, or whatever

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Yet something still keeps you here commenting while you could be a king somewhere else.
    I am a simple man. I see rags, I trade them for my crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I'd rather be a lion in hell than a sheep in heaven, or whatever
    Latest TWC Scandal!!!

"Consul says Curia is Hell!"

sorry

There is more than enough drama in the world already, isn't there? At some point it gets tiring.

Drama ->
    Relax ->

I wouldn't put too much stock into discord or chat apps. Once upon the time, chats were the "kings of the internet" They fell out of favor in place of forums once people realize how limiting they are. I noticed that there are some developers who use Discord already and you can already see the limits. I ran a squadron for a flight simulator when I lived in Asia. I had a discord channel and it definitely limit us not having a forum. To chat newbies, it may take a while, but eventually, they will get like my generation did more than 20 years ago.

What citizenship is and TWC is a social media site. It was never about chatting about the game, but the community built. Tere are more competition, but it doesn't mean that TWC has to lose to them. I mean, yo are here posting after all.

-----

On a side note, in my occasional PMs to various citizens, one of the biggest reasons is the drama and hostility within the Curia. Those that did but no longer bother cite the same thing.
    Last edited by PikeStance; November 11, 2021 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock into discord or chat apps.
    Agreed. In that chatroom-style interaction, there is very little motivation for anyone to contribute anything that takes time and effort. I cannot see how that could compete with the forum. If the Discord server is a busy one, no one is going to see the message you carefully crafted if they log in fifteen minutes after you posted.

What I believe it can do though is help people form personal relations that make the said community stronger and more relevant to them. Because you can talk to another member and get to know them the way you cannot do on a board like this as easily. Conversely, if the culture in the server is bad and there is no moderation, it can drive you away as you see how badly people treat each other there. A double-edged sword for sure, but not because the platforms would be in competition.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; November 11, 2021 at 09:58 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Even if I could be a citizen , I don’t see the point now. I love forums, I grew up being on forums in some way. I’ve been playing Total War online since 2004 and different site games since 2000. I remember when forums were King and MSN Messagener and XFire were supplemental to them. When Steam came I saw the writing on the wall as a 15 year old back in 2007. That was the beginning of the end.

I remember being on .Com,.Org, briefly on TWC as a lurker and .Net (madhouse for us multiplayer guys). .Net went first. .Org started to die after 2010. It’s basically a ghost forum now. TWC started to drop after 2014 and been in a decline every since.

How does one retain users here? I don’t understand. I guess I’m to old too. Plus the drama. I’m to old for it and don’t care. As I look back after 17 years, it’s a video game forum guys. If people want to fight over a red badge on a video game forum go ahead, and tell your girlfriend while you at it that you’re a “Citizen at TWC” and tell me how it goes. Don’t take it that seriously, trust me I been there done that lol.

Just don’t see a point in it now in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    Even if I could be a citizen , I don’t see the point now. I love forums, I grew up being on forums in some way. I’ve been playing Total War online since 2004 and different site games since 2000. I remember when forums were King and MSN Messagener and XFire were supplemental to them. When Steam came I saw the writing on the wall as a 15 year old back in 2007. That was the beginning of the end.

I remember being on .Com,.Org, briefly on TWC as a lurker and .Net (madhouse for us multiplayer guys). .Net went first. .Org started to die after 2010. It’s basically a ghost forum now. TWC started to drop after 2014 and been in a decline every since.

How does one retain users here? I don’t understand. I guess I’m to old too. Plus the drama. I’m to old for it and don’t care. As I look back after 17 years, it’s a video game forum guys. If people want to fight over a red badge on a video game forum go ahead, and tell your girlfriend while you at it that you’re a “Citizen at TWC” and tell me how it goes. Don’t take it that seriously, trust me I been there done that lol.

Just don’t see a point in it now in 2021.
    Yeah, I do not talk about TWC to my wife at all. She is not a huge fan of my gaming anyway. Whenever I buy a game she always says, "when are you going to play it."

I do n't think Steam did any damage at all. Modders are not too keen on their treatment here. TWC is a great place to meet & greet and collaborate. Steam sucks in that regards. Most have gone to Discord, not Steam. Steam is only good for the mods themselves.

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is a gaming site. I think people got too caught up in "politics." Rather than build relationships, they created rivals. The politics and drama just drove people away.

There is a point. if anything, people are more connected to social media than ever before. TWC can be that fun , incognito, place to chill. The problem is, people do not chill.

------

I noticed that there are 8 people who stated they are not citizens. if you contribute to the forum and you think you are an exemplary poster, then hit me up a PM. let's see if we can work something out for you.
    Last edited by PikeStance; November 11, 2021 at 01:11 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Good post Pike. Same for me, I don’t mention my gaming “exploits” to people in my family. They don’t care or won’t seem to understand. I just think Steam damaged it in general, like people can play games and chat and do Steam Groups and Steam chats en masse and that hurt forums, but yes I’ve heard about the modders and the issues here and that.

Extacly. The same thing happened on multiplayer. When I first did it online we did fight a lot and that but we had a certain code if you will. We didn’t use certain words, we didn’t doxxed, we drew a line. From 2010 on these kids came on and started a bunch of bad stuff and multiplayer went down the tubes. Some of it I was guilty off during that time too. It’s like chill everyone. Don’t take it so seriously. No one cares about our tournaments and site awards offline. When I was younger and was obsessed with this game, I spent 800 dollars on a custom made leather jacket with my gaming clan name on the back of it. I only wore it out twice at a comic con. See my point? Now I’m embarrassed to wear it being older and more mature. It’s a really cool jacket but the point is don’t take it so seriously the game.

I didn’t mean to say there’s no point to TWC. It’s still a place where people can have fun very true. I just meant that being citizen isn’t that big of a deal in the sense that if you not going to help and only using it for a reputation thing then there’s no point in becoming citizen.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post

I noticed that there are 8 people who stated they are not citizens. if you contribute to the forum and you think you are an exemplary poster, then hit me up a PM. let's see if we can work something out for you.
    I can contribute and will contribute to the site even without being citizen.

I don't need some virtual pixels as motiviation. In fact i'm more the opinion the whole citizenship stuff is contraproductive, it has created a elitist subgroup, which doesn't behave better than non citizens, but is demanding to have more influence on the site business and it has created a biggus dickus contest around power and influence in some virtual curial offices.

So no i don't need that.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast