Thread: Rome loyalty issue

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Rome loyalty issue

I've been playing as Rome and have run into a consistent problem.

That problem being a new Faction Leader, selected by the engine or script or whatever, that has no useful stats, command and confidence zero, etc, and when jumped up to his faction leader job has 1 authority.

Over time I lose loyalty in the greater majority of my family members, draining down from high middle to just one or two ticks remaining.

I've done everything I can think of to either by pass this issue by gaming the growth of my fm to the best of my ability but whatever I do, the worst possible young fm is selected to be leader.

This happens with the third leader (game start is 1, my pick with the designated heir gizmo is the second, this craptastic leader is the third).

This really makes the game a miserable play experience.

And I am using the designated heir ancillary to try to avoid this. The game just ignores it.

Help me!

Please.

Thanks.

Default Re: Rome loyalty issue

Win a couple battles with him, that will solve the authority issue (generally, the larger the FL authority, the less likely characters will rebel).
    It also helps if your faction is generally doing well, like conquering cities frequently, or even carrying out successful spy missions help. Monitor his leadership traitline (from Untested Leader through Undisputed Leader).

thanks.

I was aware of the "do more battles" thing to help the issue. Was not aware of the spy missions. That could be very useful because I don't run spy missions as a general rule. I just have them to reveal map and such. So, that's gonna change.

I think one issue I have been having is that Boss #3 pops to take his throne right at the beginning of a consolidation phase after conquesting. So, not a lot of battling to be doing except for the occasional small batch of rebs that spring up.

And the really annoying part is I take the FM that is designated in the family chart as the heir, and give him the heir gizmo in his ancillaries, and the game so far has always picked someone else and the worst possible someone at that. The FM with the worst traits in the lineup gets the job. And since Its not at all who I expect it to be, I can't prep him ahead of time with battles and governor time. And the one picked along with being an extremely bad choice is a new FM barely old enough to have finished schooling when the game promotes him.

I don't think it's supposed to work that way but it has killed 5 games at that point already in a row.

Frustrating.

And now that I've whined about it, it'll probably fix itself and start behaving like it's supposed to the minute someone asks me for a saved game so they can try to figure out what's borked.

Just like when the gremlins hide one of your shoes and you can't find it until you accuse someone of doing it.

The M2TW game engine always selects the FL's eldest son as the next FH. The Potential Successor ancillary rarely works IMO. You might have to perform some immersion-breaking political assassinations so that your preferred FM is next in line. In the worst case scenario your current FL and your preferred next-in-line are in different branches of the family tree. In this case you would have to "suicide" the FL's entire immediate family. Sucks, but it's necessary in some scenarios such as in 2.35's Carthage campaign where you need to get Hanno, the starting pro-Barcid Rab Mahnet, to become FL.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

That sums up majority of Roman aristocracy that led her armies, luckily for Roma she produced great generals just at the right times
    PS Half my FM's are debauched or pychotic
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; October 15, 2020 at 10:50 PM.

Rome is special like that, with it's FL having a harder time gaining authority. Any other faction I would pray for a younger FL, just fight all your battles with them and you will never have rebellion problems. But Rome...well, I suppose being an incredibly strong faction makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    Rome is special like that, with it's FL having a harder time gaining authority. Any other faction I would pray for a younger FL, just fight all your battles with them and you will never have rebellion problems. But Rome...well, I suppose being an incredibly strong faction makes up for it.
    So true, if you follow your own house rules and the Cursus Honorum technically your top commanders are middle age at least.
    Whereas, my current Basileos is virtually godlike has nothing but positive everything and has epithet Theos. He's age 33 amazing to be still alive for a Hellenistic king
    There was a rumour that people close to the king had his brother removed, a rather suspicious personal visit to see Hieron of Syracusai. Nothing has been heard in years and so his uncle will assume the diadam
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; October 16, 2020 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks guys.

Really helps and not being snarky.

I'm glad to know it's not just me being an idiot.

It's usually just me being an idiot.

Nice change.

Be glad you are not playing a Hellenistic kingdom in which all your FMs are absolute reprobates by design.

Authority hit in FL change is inevitable and completely normal. If you had the foresight to groom the heir (not potential heir, actual heir) correctly, it will quickly solve itself. Otherwise, get into battles, and do plenty of successful diplomatic missions.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    Be glad you are not playing a Hellenistic kingdom in which all your FMs are absolute reprobates by design.

Authority hit in FL change is inevitable and completely normal. If you had the foresight to groom the heir (not potential heir, actual heir) correctly, it will quickly solve itself. Otherwise, get into battles, and do plenty of successful diplomatic missions.
    The Basileos and his two brothers are in the mould of a Seleukos or Antiokhos Megas the rest of the direct family ...least said of the rest the better

Just assume it is a mechanical implementation of the inbreeding that plagued the Diadochi dynasties.

Pictured: Diadochus Ptolemaios VIII. Sadistic, incompetent, Seleucid Empire Denier (he refuses to believe the Seleucids exist), doesn't comprehend the concept of "taxation". Most likely candidate for the last Basileios of Aegyptus, and the entire populace is thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    Just assume it is a mechanical implementation of the inbreeding that plagued the Diadochi dynasties.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Pictured: Diadochus Ptolemaios VIII. Sadistic, incompetent, Seleucid Empire Denier (he refuses to believe the Seleucids exist), doesn't comprehend the concept of "taxation". Most likely candidate for the last Basileios of Aegyptus, and the entire populace is thankful for that.
    Excellent point

Play a Hellenic kingdom to create your own Monthy Python universe.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.